Type keyword(s) to search

All In With Chris Hayes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

FYI, the e version of Chris's first book is $1.99 on Barnes and Nobles.

It was a full crowd last night - Chris spoke for about an hour and then answered questions.  He spoke about the new book, the state of the Country, the differences about how the races are treated (which is I believe what his book is about), growing up in NY....just about everything. 

Here are a few pictures from last night.  Not great but as good as I could get :-)

untitled.png

IMG_1194.JPG

• Love 3

Joy is such a good energy in the hosting chair. She's peppy, but not daffy. She's paying attention to everyone, and still doesn't miss a cue. I often find her weekend show to be a bit bloated as to the Topic of the Day, but I think that's a function of the two-hour format and that all the "important" talking heads are off on the weekends. Contrast with the prime time pace and headline-iness, in which she's just great. So, yeah: put her in primetime!  I wouldn't even mind if she and Chris co-hosted, tbh. 

• Love 3

I find it interesting that trump can apparently only concentrate on one topic at a time.  As Chris says, trump 'can't wait' to get this done so he can move on to trade or taxes or something else.  I guess trump didn't realize that government requires multi-tasking, its not  linear. 

• Love 3

Remember when John McCain was on Gregory's Meet the Press, like, every week? It's starting to feel that way with Bernie and All In. That said, I always like it when somebody comes on and pimps single-payer, so both Bernie and Moore did that tonight. (Sing-le Pay-er! clap clap, clap-clap-clap!)

I confess I've been noodling with the idea of a Chris and Joy co-show. No happy talk, they could each take solo segments, one could cover whenever the other was vacationing, and they could add a new tandem segment for this new post-truth reality we find ourselves in: Really?!?!? With Chris and Joy.  I might have become a 'shipper here.  MSNBC, you can have that idea for free. (Unless you have to pay royalties to Lorne Michaels, in which case, I can't help you.)

Edited by attica
  • Love 4

"That's strong language! Please take this opportunity to say it again, even more strongly!" That Chris has a knack for what'll make good teevee, right?

If I were April Ryan, it would take the entirety of the WHPC to hold me back from setting Spicey on fire. Holy cats. But it sure was nice of him to hand Melissa McCarthy her next SNL sketch.

The toss between Chris and Rachel was super adorbs last night. I would've applauded for Rachel's dad, too!

• Love 2

It never fails, Maxine Waters makes me bust out laughing every time she signs off from one of these political news shows, with her happy go lucky "You're welcome!," or sometimes it's just "Welcome!" It's hilarious,because it follows her keeping in real, going off sessions, too funny.

• Love 1

Oh, Chris. Please tell your writers -- or learn yourself-- that a person can't be 'reticent' about doing something. You are either reluctant or hesitant. Reticent means taciturn, laconic. It refers solely to speaking, not doing. It's an error that's creeping into wide usage. The pedant in me HATES it.

The poisoned Russian dude interview was super. "Of course I'm disconcerted." Geez, I guess so!

They showed pictures last night of Jared Kushner at work meeting with generals and world leaders and he looks so uncomfortable and creepy and a couple of pictures pleased with himself.  All I could think was that his thought process was most concerned of how best to present himself.  Everyone else was engaged with the issues at hand - but that is beyond his level. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Mad Maxine! "I don't trust anything he says." I love her to death. Would that all of the Dems were such straight shooters. Even better: "I wish they would get him to just shut up. Stop it."

Edited by maystone
  • Love 3

One of the things that Chris does that no other show does (except maybe Joy) is have feminists on to give feminist perspective on the Patriarchy Today stories. Having Traister, Ryan, Goldberg et al at the table on the reg is an unalloyed good for viewers. (Rachel doesn't even do it, which seems like an opportunity missed.) For me specifically, it reassures me that I'm not losing my mind.

I mean, sure, other outlets do 'sexual harassment outrage' stories and the like, but that's not what I mean. I mean the background noise that permeates the politics that needs calling out specifically.

In case you're interested, here's the op ed by Jill Filipovic that Traister mentioned last night. I've been reading JF's feminism writing since she was still lawyering; it pleases enormously me that she gets NYT space now. If only they'd make her permanent and jettison the Brooks, Friedmans, and Douthats of the page. (I'd also never heard her name pronounced out loud, so I'm glad to know the final letter is pronounced 'ch'.)

• Love 7

Chris is a feminist in more than name only; in fact, I've never heard him explicitly name himself a feminist - he just lives what he believes. I think he's great. As to Rachel: She has a different format in her show. She rarely has guests, and then it's just one person when she does.

Thank you for posting the link to Filipovic's op-ed piece. I'll keep an eye out for her work.

• Love 2

Its only a crime on flights if the passenger assaults the flight crew or the passengers or is otherwise a 'danger' to the flight.  There's no evidence he did so.  Yes, there is a law about 'interferring' with the flight crew, but that's in "operation" of the flight, and it is arguable the flight wasn't being "operated" while sitting at the gate.

I think its absolutely awful that political campaigns, or whoever, can make commercials or other advertising with blatant lies about a candidate.  Nowhere, anywhere, are tax dollars used for abortions.  There really should be laws against such actions during campaigns.

• Love 3

The footage of the Joe Wilson town hall meeting gave me life, as the kidz say. Who says the electorate has a short memory?  I pooh-poohed the subsequent commentator guy with the intensely impressive pompadour, however, saying once again that Dems aren't doing something right by 'not talking to the other side.' One, because it's always the left's fault, isn't it? And two, nobody ever talks to me when they want to take my bodily autonomy away -- they're happy enough doing so in closed-door sessions and inserted into unrelated bills. 

• Love 12

Joy filled in for Chris last night.  She had a clip of the Maria Bartiromo trump interview from earlier this week.

Holy shit this man is dumb.  He told her that we have an armada headed towards North Korea.  What is this, 1492?

• Love 4

Really great show tonight.  First, of course, she who should be the official Friend of the show, Maxine Waters.  Then a good interview with Gov. Kasich.  I know he's got some crazy positions on a few topics, but he's not crazy and dammit, I think he would have been a Republican the Democrats could have worked with.  Thing 1/Thing 2 with the reconstituted Southerner from Minnesota was fun.  And the vapidness that is Ivanka...ugh.

• Love 2

I love how Auntie Maxine is all " some people are saying [accusation]" and before she can be interrupted with 'wow, no basis for that, Auntie Max' she's all 'now we don't know... yet'. There are few that can play that hand with that much finesse, I'm just saying. She's a treasure.

I smiled at the Kasich interview. He starts of confidently jargoning 'dynamic scoring' to make it sound like he's a Serious Economic Thinker. The instant Chris started to pin down the details of how tax cuts will do bad things, CK backs all the way out and pivots: "Oh, you're a liberal, we're never going to agree, let's talk about my book about how people should agree more!" [game show buzzer] Thanks for playing, Governor. Enjoy your lovely parting gifts.

• Love 6

Tonight's episode was awesome from beginning to end, especially the part where Chris reminded the audience that ol' Genocidal Andy had been dead for 16 years before the Civil War broke out and therefore couldn't have been upset about the situation.  I never, ever thought we'd see another president as incurious and ill-informed as Dubya, but clearly I was wrong.  This one is not only deeply stubborn, but deeply stupid as well. 

I also appreciate David Jolly.  His giggling tonight about how easy it is to snow/manipulate Donald had me rolling.

• Love 7

I love friend of show former Rep David Jolly (R FL)!

Me too.  I don't agree with him on his issues but I really wish he had won that Senate race over Marco "I hate being a Senator but if you force me I'll run again" Rubio. 

Oh, Chris, I get what you meant about Hillary not being over the election but that wasn't fair.  As Karen Finney said, there is a difference between being asked about it in an interview and being the winner of the election and never shutting up about it. 

• Love 9

I like Chris pointing out that the "fence" that the Director of the OMB kept touting as being part of trump's budget plan for the Mexico Wall, was actually started buidling in August 2016.  So, yeah, not trump's wall.

• Love 3
(edited)

Tonight Chris discussed FBI director Comey with two former FBI agents. Comey sucks (IMO). He should be investigated.

However, I hope he's serious when he says the agency is looking into leaks at the NY office and it's possible relationship with Rudy Giuliani.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1

I felt not sorry at all for Rep. Tom Cole, (R) Oklahoma.  He tried the usual it's tax reform, not just tax cuts, we really do give a crap about preexisting conditions.  Chris gave facts, but then the ReThug repeatedly invoked all of the usual RW talking points emphasizing RW policies that don't work in the real world.  He tried the ObamaCare collapsing bullshit, but Chris came back at him with actuarial facts to the contrary.  

We're in deep la-la-land.  Nothing is real anymore.  

• Love 8
(edited)

Kudos for Chris always keeping his cool when he has the Tom Coles type on then followed up with guests like Wendell Potter and March of Dimes president, Stacey Stewart.  Jake Tapper had Coles on his show earlier in the day and basically went after him like a rabid dog.  It was quite good!

The end of the show was so raw and emotional.  Xeni Jardin.  God bless her.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 6

I felt not sorry at all for Rep. Tom Cole, (R) Oklahoma.

And, I kind of felt that he had just had some of the beer that they had delivered after the vote.  Not that he was drunk - just too celebratory. 

Grr - I wish Chris would stop having Bernie on.  Thank God for my mute button on my remote. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Grr - I wish Chris would stop having Bernie on.

Like him or not, Bernie has a huge loyal following which makes him continue to be relevant, especially on health care issues.

• Love 5

I think Bernie is still relevant. 

Unrelated, lately, Chris Hayes has been giving the best news out there (sorry, Maddow). He's succinct and factually accurate. He and the late night comics are our last line of defense. 

• Love 7

It cracks me up how news-man shouty Chris Hays gets in his voice-overs that open the show. Tonight, when he was introducing the topic of the Oval Office resident firing FBI Director James Comey, I was picturing Chris orating into one of those old-timey radio mics. I think I was imagining it in black and white, too. 

59125dace0650_radiomic.thumb.jpg.13f5c4d52ead201b0c9d852c896ddcbb.jpg

• Love 3

I was so excited to see my boyfriend, John Dean last night.  Although he disappointed me a little when he said this hadn't reached Saturday Night Massacre status.  Yet?

I was momentarily stoked that Bill Kristol suggested there was incipient opposition in the senate GOP, but then I remembered: Oh, it's Bill-wrong-about-everything-all-the-time Kristol.

• Love 7

I'm starting to get a little tetchy about Chris having lower status in the MSNBC hierarchy. I love Rachel; I started following her when she had her radio show on Air America, and she is must-watch TV for me especially during this crisis. But … Chris Hayes also has important news to break and necessary perspective to add to the circus that is Trump and the GOP-controlled congress. He handles the legislative aspect of the news stories while Rachel and Lawrence are focusing more specifically on the Trump labyrinth. It is just as important to get the congress critters on record about the draconian legislation they're backing as it is to follow every lead in the Trump/Russia story. I just feel that he's getting short shrift, and he deserves some more credit.

• Love 5