Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Where Have All the Cattlemen Gone?

Louis is crushed to find out that Matthew Chestnut is quitting the restaurant to take a job at Dollywood. But when he offers Eddie a chance to work with him once again at the steakhouse, he passes; and Louis ends up hiring Eddie's friend Trent, which doesn't sit well with his son. Meanwhile, when Jessica discovers that Amy Chestnut is moving and leaving her position as PTA president - a job she desperately wants so she can be the "teacher boss" - Jessica goes against all of her pent-up negative feelings about Amy and does everything she can to appease her in order to get the job; and after telling a joke and getting a laugh from Emery, Evan deludes himself into thinking that he's the funnier brother,

Original air date: 12/7/18

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I continue to hate Jessica with a fiery passion.

Jessica should not have been given any pass, no matter what position. They are really pushing that PTA President storyline for her, are they? Guess the author storyline was a dud, so why make her President of The PTA? Makes no sense. She is just going to give that poor principle hell, no mater what. She doesn't deserve it.

It was a dick move on Eddie's part to do that to Trent on his job promotion from Louis, but at least he acknowledges his mistakes and it moves on from there. I like Eddie's friends, too. I wish Jessica could learn the same like Eddie did, but knowing the character, she has to be right on everything. It does get tedious. For once, let a family member call out on Jessica's self righteous attitude.

• Love 9

I really didn't like the way Jessica was portrayed last night. I also think it's unrealistic to appoint a PTA president who has not belonged to the PTA. The writers really need to lighten up on Jessia's character. The show will not do well with a mean spirited mother like her. It goes beyond looking out for your children and wanting the best for them. Re-write her now.

Eddie was also portrayed as a jerk causing his friend to lose his job. His father didn't handle it right either,, IMO. That kid was so happy to be earning some money too. I felt so badly for him.

• Love 5

Eddie messed up big-time in this episode, even if he did confess and they were able to make it right, but there were two moments from him that I just loved:  1) when he slid his proposal across the table to Louis and it just said, "$$$$$$$," and 2) him admitting he was the one who got spaghetti stains INSIDE the mattress costume.  Ha!

Louis continually poking himself with the #1 Boss mug but loving it anyway was so sweet.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, floridamom said:

I really didn't like the way Jessica was portrayed last night. I also think it's unrealistic to appoint a PTA president who has not belonged to the PTA. The writers really need to lighten up on Jessia's character. The show will not do well with a mean spirited mother like her. It goes beyond looking out for your children and wanting the best for them. Re-write her now.

The story is going to backfire on them too. I mean, let's face it Jessica has now become "The Worst Wife" on TV. She micro manages everyone, never admits she is wrong and if she does realize she is wrong. She continues doing what will get her in trouble... AGAIN! Jill Taylor Syndrome, thanks writers. Because we know how well that works when you push a characters "bad traits" as the constant driving force. That usually equals= cancellation. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, readster said:

The story is going to backfire on them too. I mean, let's face it Jessica has now become "The Worst Wife" on TV. She micro manages everyone, never admits she is wrong and if she does realize she is wrong. She continues doing what will get her in trouble... AGAIN! Jill Taylor Syndrome, thanks writers. Because we know how well that works when you push a characters "bad traits" as the constant driving force. That usually equals= cancellation. 

It wasn't bad in the early seasons of Jessica, but in the last two seasons she became an insufferable bitch. I wonder how Constance Wu could keep such a straight face and not go " Oh, my God..this is bad". She had to know her character sucks now because she is doing two sequels for Crazy Rich Asians. There is no way around that explanation. Ever since season 2, they have not followed Eddie Huang's story. Now, they are entering unrealistic territory. Stop! I hapened to like the first few seasons of FOB, but ever since Jessica changed I refuse  to watch anything related to her.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4

I've said this in past seasons threads but haven't said it in awhile. I'm betting Eddie Huang is really glad he distanced himself from the show after the first season. If he still keeps up with it he's probably peeved and annoyed at the direction it's been going in for a few seasons now.  Jessica was my favorite character when this show started then they did the got to the end of the real estate storyline with the big house mess and crappy private school stuff. That is when it felt like the show jumped the shark for me at least.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

She had to know her character sucks now because she is doing two sequels for Crazy Rich Asians.

Given it’s success and her getting a GG nom and more press than this show I can’t imagine the character of Jessica had anything to do with signing on for the sequels.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

It wasn't bad in the early seasons of Jessica, but in the last two seasons she became an insufferable bitch. I wonder how Constance Wu could keep such a straight face and not go " Oh, my God..this is bad". She had to know her character sucks now because she is doing two sequels for Crazy Rich Asians. There is no way around that explanation. Ever since season 2, they have not followed Eddie Huang's story. Now, they are entering unrealistic territory. Stop! I hapened to like the first few seasons of FOB, but ever since Jessica changed I refuse  to watch anything related to her.

I'm pretty sure its what many actors in her position are: "It's my job, I have to suck it up." You have to remember, most of these actors who have their characters go: way, way way into hatred mode. Is more because they want to pay their bills. 

11 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

she had to know her character sucks now because she is doing two sequels for Crazy Rich Asians.

I don't think one has to do with the other. She signed on to do the first movie because it was a great opportunity and she was able to shoot it while Fresh Off the Boat was on hiatus. The movie did really well (it's grossed over $200 million) so why wouldn't she want to do the sequels? From what many of the actors said, shooting CRA was a joyful experience so I imagine that doing they're looking at the sequel as returning to summer camp or having a reunion (and getting paid to do it!).

1 hour ago, readster said:

I'm pretty sure its what many actors in her position are: "It's my job, I have to suck it up." You have to remember, most of these actors who have their characters go: way, way way into hatred mode. Is more because they want to pay their bills. 

And because they signed a seven year contract for a tv show. You can go the Jessica Biel route and try to piss off the producer so much that he lets you stop being a series regular, but most people know that they need to be professional and ride it out. The show's seventh season will probably end up being around the time that the second CRA movie comes out so she can decide then if she wants to leave the show but until then, it's a steady paycheck.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The show's seventh season will probably end up being around the time that the second CRA movie comes out so she can decide then if she wants to leave the show but until then, it's a steady paycheck.

Given the ratings and it almost wasn’t renewed this year I would be surprised if this show makes it to a six much less a seventh season.

• Love 2

Jessica is a NIGHTMARE. She is making me seriously think about not watching anymore. Her incredibly selfish need to gain power over others reeks of narcissism, like DIAGNOSABLE narcissism. It had nothing to do with wanting to improve the school or help people. She is truly insufferable. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Given the ratings and it almost wasn’t renewed this year I would be surprised if this show makes it to a six much less a seventh season.

Right and if it doesn't make it to a six or seventh season. They are just paid out for what was left of the show and the network. Every shakes hands, says goodbye and moves on with their lives.

I didn't even watch the entire episode. Jessica is such a horrid person, I can't bear any scene she's in.

Isn't the PTA just an advisory organization? What kind of power does a PTA really have in a school district? If Jessica really wanted power in a school district, I would think a school board would be the place to be.

Was Matthew's wife always such a bitch? I never paid that much attention to her.

They seem to be going out of their way to make the Huangs -- except for Louis -- to be absolutely horrible people no one wants to be around.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I didn't even watch the entire episode. Jessica is such a horrid person, I can't bear any scene she's in.

Isn't the PTA just an advisory organization? What kind of power does a PTA really have in a school district? If Jessica really wanted power in a school district, I would think a school board would be the place to be.

Was Matthew's wife always such a bitch? I never paid that much attention to her.

They seem to be going out of their way to make the Huangs -- except for Louis -- to be absolutely horrible people no one wants to be around.

We are talking about Angela Kinsey, right? She played a bitch on The Office, so this was nothing new.

Jessica has become such an awful person, it’s actually hurting my enjoyment of the show. It’s not a funny kind of mean, it’s deeply unpleasant, and almost always seems to be directed at people that don’t deserve it. Her constant awfulness is nails on a damn chalkboard. 

• Love 5

I like that Eddie is a 15 year old boy who makes 15 year old boy mistakes.  Yes he hurt his friend, but that's totally something a kid that age would do.  I also liked his comeuppance with having to become the delivery driver and drive grandma around. 

On 12/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, theatremouse said:

I don't understand how Trent, a high school student, was able to sufficiently replace Matthew, an adult with an (I thought) full time job. 

That part is a bit confusing, especially since I presume Trent is also only 15 which usually means stricter rules than they have for 16 year olds. 

• Love 1

Most of the characters were rather unlikeable in this episode.  Jessica is a given.  Was it supposed to be funny when she and Evan were putting down public school teachers?  I can't see much potential with her as PTA chair.  At least she's not going to be principal.  

Eddie's move was not nice at all.  The kid's acting has definitely improved, though.  

Since when was Emery the funny one?  The rake thing was horrible.  

It's sad how far this show has fallen.  I did laugh at the cup with the sharp horns facing up, though.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3