Type keyword(s) to search

The Price Is Right - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, Robert Lynch said:

I know, but it is weird seeing people so close together, even in early 2020.

It is, isn’t it?  Regardless, it’ll be more than weird when the show returns next month to an empty studio audience.  Per Drew, there will be no fans.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:30 PM, smittykins said:

I’ve recently been watching early episodes on YouTube, back when it was The *New* Price Is Right.  The earth tones!  The Pintos! The Vegas!  Bob Barker having to explain the rules of games, and reminding contestants to give their bids in dollars!

IIRC, Bob did use the bid on dollars line on several 80s episodes and some 90s ones.  Can’t recall him saying it much if at all in his final 6 seasons as the host!

The rules for the SCSD and the Showcases got explained every-so-often throughout his run, however, with the former being explained in one-half of the show but not really in the other half.

The explanation of the rules to those degrees is unique to see.  Though I’ve often thought of him having to explain the rules in Y2K episodes of pricings games like Hit Me and Check Game (both of which had been around for 2 decades).  Amazing that, more often than not, the contestants that often play those games without ever seeing the game or knowing the rules always win the One-Bid segment that precedes it to get out of contestant’s row

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm not a baseball fan but it was interesting listening to enough of the podcast to get the date they are going back to work (Oct 4) and his observations on how freaky it was taping in March when everything else was shutting down due to the corona virus. 

Today they were playing an episode from 2012, with new text comments overlaid on screen. Have they done that before? Anyway, Snoop Dogg is a fun celebrity to start with.   

• Love 1

If they're not going to start taping until next month, how long until we actually get new episodes on air?   

The audience on this show usually acts is if crack samples are passed out at the entrance so while it will be extremely odd not having them it may not be all bad being a bit more calm.   The worst thing for the contestants is not having any assist on the pricing games.   The audience is pretty integral to this show (it's not like Jeopardy where you just add in some applause) so it will be interesting to see how it works.  

• Love 2

Yeah, the audience participation factor is going to be a huge change.  

I'm not expecting the shows to air for at least 4-6 weeks though I'm only basing that on other shows like soap operas. No clue on how long it takes to edit the individual episodes or how many they like to bank until they start airing.  

On 9/21/2020 at 7:38 PM, tessaray said:

Yeah, the audience participation factor is going to be a huge change.  

I'm not expecting the shows to air for at least 4-6 weeks though I'm only basing that on other shows like soap operas. No clue on how long it takes to edit the individual episodes or how many they like to bank until they start airing.  

It will be strange to not have the contestants hug Drew or the models. It will also be strange to see contestants celebrate winning the Showcase alone.  I don't notice the Covid restrictions on Wheel of Fortune until the Bonus Round and we don't see loved ones congratulate the winner.

• Love 1

Today's rerun was from 2015 with Bob Barker as a guest.   I noticed there was no male model.  Did they not use a male model everyday like they do now or did they just not have one because Bob was there and he's no doubt appalled at the idea? 

8 hours ago, Maverick said:

Today's rerun was from 2015 with Bob Barker as a guest.   I noticed there was no male model.  Did they not use a male model everyday like they do now or did they just not have one because Bob was there and he's no doubt appalled at the idea? 

Maverick, Barker made several appearances on TPIR since his departure.  Typically, if not each show he showed up on, the show used the models that were on the staff when Bob was still hosting.  So you'd see Rachel & Gwendolyn on those shows instead of Amber and Manuela.

So the reasoning was due to that more than Bob's stance on male models, which didn't start until Season 40.

Back to the topic: speaking of today, or current times, the show will be back sooner than you think.  Definitely by November 16, the start of Season 49

Several Primetime Episodes Scheduled To Air Over The Next Couple Of Months & A Week

TPIR Resuming With First Run Episodes On The Third Monday In November

• Love 1

I guess they're trying to keep things as normal as possible.  They rebuilt the set so the contestants row podiums are six feet apart and Drew will no longer stand above them.  I guess contestants will be kept backstage until their call to "come on down".  All 77 pricing games will be available....the big wheel will be sanitized between every contestant and they will use hand sanitizer before they spin. Don't know if there's a TV monitor audience.  I guess people will have to think for themselves now as there's no audience to shout advice to them.

Edited by Swenson
  • Useful 2

Trivia Google search game:. First to post correct answer wins....here's the question:

Since the Price is Right was revived in 1972....six people have hosted....Bob Barker, Dennis James, Tom Kennedy, Doug Davidson, and Drew Carey are five.....the sixth was a female....who is she for the win?

In 2006 on the show Gameshow Marathon, Ricki Lake hosted a version of The Price is Right. Gameshow Marathon was a summer series featuring rotating Gameshows.

Edited by CVC
Added more info

Several other game shows have been giving away trips.  Wheel of Fortune still gives one away with the prize puzzle.  It seems like they're mostly to Hawaii or the Caribbean.   I think contestants had several years to redeem trips even before the pandemic.  The assumption most likely is that travel will resume soon and the winner can use the trips.  For the Hawaii ones, I'm assuming they could use them now if they feel comfortable traveling. 

Drew's beard might look better if he'd shorten it.  He's spot on that he looks like some old timey prospector.   He just needs some boots and a pick axe.  He apparently likes it though because he enjoyed making the point he'd be wearing it all season.  

Over on LMAD, I kinda like the Galatic Senate / VIP booth at the club makeover of the audience.   I don't think the Zoom audience adds much but at least they have people in person so it's not bad. 

3 hours ago, CVC said:

In 2006 on the show Gameshow Marathon, Ricki Lake hosted a version of The Price is Right. Gameshow Marathon was a summer series featuring rotating Gameshows.

Congratulations.....I was wondering if anyone even remembered Gameshow Marathon.....Ricki hosted every game of course, making her the only woman to ever host Card Sharks, Let's Make a Deal, Beat the Clock, Family Feud, and Match Game....and the first one on Press Your Luck before Elizabeth Banks.

On Ricki's episode.....Paige Davis set a record that may or may not have happened before or after during the course of the series.....she hit the nickel TWICE on the big wheel....for a grand total of a dime!!!!  I don't think you can do worse.

Actually....if Drew let his hair grow out and turn white.....he'd have a seriously Jerry Garcia thing happening.   

There's no way I'd take a trip with things the way they are.....hopefully the trip is still good in about two years.

Drew needs a cardboard cutout for people to hug like Blake Shelton on the Voice.   You'd have to keep sanitizing it though.

I’m so happy to have TPIR back!!!  What a fun episode!!!   Daytime returns soon, too, I cannot wait!

What was up with the wheel tho?!  3 of them went over, right?  I was like dang, did it get off kilter with the remodel or what?!   

I wonder what game broke down for them to have to play Pick a Number (1) in primetime (2) for a car (3) when the back half of the show already had two quick games. Maybe Gridlock, but I feel like they'd just trot out Money Game like every other breakdown situation considering they're basically the same thing.

I like the new podiums. It reminds me of the international versions of the show where they don't have a raised stage, yet it's still very much in fitting with this version's aesthetic. Less sold on picking people who are loud enough that they don't need Drew to hold the microphone in their face to be heard, but if the new setup means we lose the obnoxious "pick me" T-shirts, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

In the old days, we used to call Drew's beard Mimi.

1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Now if you can find a screen shot of Dev, please.  🥰🥰🥰🤣🤣🤣

He's prettier here than with the kitchen prize on the Yodely Guy game.  (You'd have better quality on the CBS website... this is my dvr displaying in a web browser.) 

image.thumb.png.4d9c5048e672170c8732d717275f80be.png

• Love 4

Overall the first new daytime show was okay. Slightly awkward in spots from what I saw but still nice to have it back. And much better than Let's Make a Deal, imo. 

Oddly, what I missed most from no audience is that glimpse we get of the friends and family the contestant is sitting with. 

• Love 3
On 11/2/2020 at 10:28 PM, Maverick said:

WTF with James hair?   Did no one tell him salons and barbershops are open?   

I follow James on Instagram. He still has the long curly hair and it’s not a good look for him. I think they’re at the point of WTF and he & Drew are doing what they want to do. I think CBS is just glad the show is back and letting it slide. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I follow James on Instagram. He still has the long curly hair and it’s not a good look for him. I think they’re at the point of WTF and he & Drew are doing what they want to do. I think CBS is just glad the show is back and letting it slide. 

He (James) was also wearing jeans!  It was like casual day ha!  

• Love 1

This might sound weird, but I was actually kinda disappointed that new shows started today, lol. I've loved watching TPIR since I was in kindergarten (1983!), and over the years whenever I was home from school and especially during summers. Since adulthood and working every day, I've always taken a small delight in getting to watch the show whenever I'm home during the day. And since I've been working from home since March, I was enjoying getting to watch every day and seeing shows that I've missed over the years ( I almost wish they had run shows from when Bob hosted to really feed my nostalgia, but I guess that era's over). Anyway, I'm glad they've found a way to make the show work, but it's not the same without the audience, and to be honest, I'd rather keep watching the re-runs, haha.

I could be mis-remembering, but I feel like I hated Drew as host when he first started. I think I felt like he wasn't into it...too low-key or something, like he didn't wanna be there. But now I love him. He's doing a fantastic job.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 1

Yeah, the hair does James no favors at all.   It's like what wardrobe does to the hot actor who has to play the geek in the movie until he makes the amazing transformation to stud. 

Drew's beard makes him look older, but I realized the main problem with his look is his hair.  That floppy, center parted 'do is...something. 

Other than making people stand 15 apart at the wheel (seriously, do you board a courtesy shuttle when it's you turn?) I think the game play was fine.  The show does suffer some from a lack audience, but not like LMAD where they're basically on screen the whole show.  My biggest problem with that was that there were only two people who didn't get to make a deal.  I always felt a little bad for people who bothered to dress up, trot out to the studio and sit squeezed in like a sardine for over an hour only to not get called on. It seems even more insulting when you're one of 12 to get passed over. 

Well, I’m loving it being back.  I just love the show that much.  And now I watch and think to myself what dance would I do if I was called up.

We also put on our Christmas list the PLINKO game from Target.  🤣🥰

• Love 2

The equally loud, but less chaotic, Bob Barker era TPiR is going to have a channel on Pluto starting December 1st.

Edit:  From the official YouTube channel:

See full episodes from Season 11 ('82-'83), exclusively on @PlutoTV Ch 163 (starting December 1, 2020). We are kicking things off with episodes not viewed in decades. Starting from Season 11 (1982), this is the first season when animal furs were no longer offered as prizes, supporting Bob’s advocacy of animal rights in memory of his wife Dorothy Jo.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

The equally loud, but less chaotic, Bob Barker era TPiR is going to have a channel on Pluto starting December 1st.

Thanks for the info.  My husband will love this.  

• Love 3

Watching right now and I'm a little surprised any Bob era episodes got any kind of official release.  Wasn't it rumored he only allowed a handful of old episodes to be released due to his bitterness over the lawsuits the models brought against him and the show?  I know he was pretty grumpy and refused to call any models by their names by the end of his run.

So when did this show get super loud?  I know it was pretty loud by the 1990s and an episode from 1986 I saw somewhere was kind of loud too, so maybe the mid-80s.  These 1983 episodes aren't too screechy.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 1

I watched a few minutes this morning and noticed that Barker wasn't very snide to the contestants, which was nice. But honestly, I was really distracted by the 80s hair. 🙂 And the horrible appliance colors. I do not miss the early 80s at all.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

WTF with Drew today?   Did he skydive into the studio?  His floppy hair is all moussed back and he's wearing some kind of sports/athletic glasses.  And James still hasn't gone to the barber.   Did they fire the show's stylist to pay for all the extra hand sanitizer? 

On 12/14/2020 at 11:08 AM, Maverick said:

WTF with Drew today?   Did he skydive into the studio?  His floppy hair is all moussed back and he's wearing some kind of sports/athletic glasses.  And James still hasn't gone to the barber.   Did they fire the show's stylist to pay for all the extra hand sanitizer? 

Beats me! Drew looked like he aged 10 years ago! He looks like David Letterman with the beard.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Beats me! Drew looked like he aged 10 years ago! He looks like David Letterman with the beard.

I’m home this week & it’s the first chance I’ve had to watch a couple episodes of the “Sanitized for your Protection” version of TPIR.   Like everything else this year it’s definitely “different”.   It’s okay, but demonstrates how much a live studio audience contributes to the show.  

Drew reminds me of Papa Smurf with the beard and goofy glasses.  It appears, based on the “outfits” he’s been wearing that the CBS brass must have TPIR wardrobe department working from home.      What’s up with the band ring he was wearing today on his left hand third finger?

On 12/17/2020 at 11:20 AM, Freezy Katz said:

I’m home this week & it’s the first chance I’ve had to watch a couple episodes of the “Sanitized for your Protection” version of TPIR.   Like everything else this year it’s definitely “different”.   It’s okay, but demonstrates how much a live studio audience contributes to the show.  

Drew reminds me of Papa Smurf with the beard and goofy glasses.  It appears, based on the “outfits” he’s been wearing that the CBS brass must have TPIR wardrobe department working from home.      What’s up with the band ring he was wearing today on his left hand third finger?

I happened across TPIR this week and while they were attempting social distancing, it was disturbing to see the contestants screaming at the top of their lungs at the bidding stations. Even at six feet apart, this is not safe! Then one of the men, who won the Safecracker game, ran over and hollered right in Drew's face. Don't, people. Just don't.

• Love 2
On 12/19/2020 at 8:43 AM, Ashforth said:

I happened across TPIR this week and while they were attempting social distancing, it was disturbing to see the contestants screaming at the top of their lungs at the bidding stations. Even at six feet apart, this is not safe! Then one of the men, who won the Safecracker game, ran over and hollered right in Drew's face. Don't, people. Just don't.

Yes to this. 100% agreed with you!

Was it just me or were today's contestants given extra crack?  If "whoo" was an option in a TPIR drinking game I'd be dead 3 times over from alcohol poisoning.  

Did I miss something?  Why did the the $75k the woman with 12 children (12?!) won in Rat Race get added to the bonus pool?

There must not be money in the budget this season for a barber.   Between Drew's beard and James' hair, the men's styling this season is tragic.  I think they need an intervention for OG Queer Eye guys.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Maverick said:

Was it just me or were today's contestants given extra crack?  If "whoo" was an option in a TPIR drinking game I'd be dead 3 times over from alcohol poisoning.  

Did I miss something?  Why did the the $75k the woman with 12 children (12?!) won in Rat Race get added to the bonus pool?

The back stage punch was definitely spiked. Only thing missing was someone coming out doing cartwheels or flips.

The mother was the 1st contestant. Starting with the 2nd contestant's game, the dollar value of each prize won was rolled into the jackpot. Adding a potential $175K to the jackpot was too rich for this show.

All the budgeted money was used for Big Money Week. A barber or a nice suit/shoes for Drew are not going to happen this season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

There must not be money in the budget this season for a barber.   Between Drew's beard and James' hair, the men's styling this season is tragic.

Their beards are pretty well groomed, it's not like they have some bushy, Dave Letterman-esque beards.

How can anyone tell when the contestants are more hyper than normal?  They've been acting that way for 25 years.

I can't wait until the audience comes back, I'm tired of the social media influences and actors.

Drew's beard may be combed but it's not flattering.  He's dead on when he does his old timey prospector schtick.  It would have been ok if they had done the LMAD mash up this year and he was hosting Gold Rush but for for everyday?  No.  And likewise Jimmy's hair.  It really makes him look on the dorky side.    Also, why are  the male models dressed like they're ready for an afternoon of tailgating while the female models still have to be in full makeup and their flashy cocktail dresses?   Step up your game, boys!  

For some reason, I have been watching a lot of the Barker Era on Pluto lately.  Maybe it's because things have been so crappy lately and the same old shows they keep shuffling around on the retro TV channels aren't doing it on the comfort front.  There's so much I had forgotten about that era.  Games long since retired like Hit Me and Poker Game and some I didn't remember at all like Hurdles.  Bob gets chatty with contestant's backgrounds when they're called to Contestant's Row (I guess that was eventually eliminated to make room for more commercials).  All the female contestants kissing Bob.  I knew they had the same models every day but I didn't remember them all dressing alike, which was a tad creepy.   I totally forgot about the little blue cards with the sponsor's name on everything.  When did they stop that?   And I had totally forgotten about the Showcase.  Production went all in on those everyday, with a storyline, costumes and sometimes even special effects.  Nowadays they half muster up a some connecting sentences to thread the prizes together.  Johnny Olson was used in them a lot a it was cute watching the 3 models with him.   

In researching some of the old games, I learned that there hasn't been a new game introduced since Gridlock! in 2017.   I wonder if that's the longest they've gone without introducing any new game.  

• Love 1

I was glad to see an audience, and Contestant's Row back as well.  

The guy who ended up winning the Showcase was...interesting.   Drew congratulated him for winning $100 for a perfect bid and he responds "I have brains".    Then the Money Game, he make s a totally reasonable of 21 for the first two numbers.   When that's wrong, instead of going for 22 or 23, he picks 33, eliciting groans from the newly returned audience.  He eventually wins the car are asks "did I win this?"    I think he must have been overwhelmed being on the show.

The Bonus Game had a prize I hadn't seen on the show.  Some kind of above ground pool/hot tub/underwater viewing booth.   Including $7,500 for installation, it cost almost $50k.

With this being the 50th Anniversary, I hope we get a decent new game this season .  

15 hours ago, Maverick said:

I was glad to see an audience, and Contestant's Row back as well.  

It was good to see that, but there was a person that who got on the show yesterday that was in the audience today.

I know they tape more than one show on a day, but why not all new people for each show??