Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

For Your Excitement (UK) thought that 406 was "one of the best hours of television this year"...

OLICITY, MAMA SMOAK AND THE RETURN OF RAY PALMER: ARROW’S “LOST SOULS” HAS IT ALL
Verena Cote | November 12, 2015
http://www.4ye.co.uk/2015/11/olicity-mama-smoak-and-the-return-of-ray-palmer-arrows-lost-souls-has-it-all/

... Because on Television, especially The CW, relationships are all about drama and big romantic gestures. The more horrible the things they do to each other the better. But with Oliver and Felicity Arrow manages to represent a healthy and functional relationship. They have their ups and downs, but they work together towards a solution. For someone as damaged as Oliver Queen, he is doing pretty well on the boyfriend-front. He gave Felicity the space she needed while still being available. Is anyone else surprised how well their relationship has worked within the team dynamic without smother it? Most importantly, we are more than happy to see the chemistry between Amell and Rickards play out so appropriately on screen. Their final kiss was just so aesthetically pleasing. With Oliver and Felicity Arrow continues to do everything just right.
While Team Arrow usually operates on Oliver and Diggle’s brute force, this week’s Arrow highlighted the talented, and kickass ladies.  With the return of Sara Lance we got an actual reunion of the Canaries, something we have been looking forward to since Laurel took over the Black Canary mantle. Also, thanks to Thea as Speedy, the girls certainly held their own against the big bads of Star City...  We also got to enjoy the rare sight of Miss Smoak out in the field. Once again Felicity faced one of her biggest fears – heights – and jumped through yet another window. If there have ever been female characters young girls should aspire to be like, look no further than Arrow: intelligent, caring, fiercely loyal and beautiful, even in their darkest times. This episode was all about strong women and we wouldn’t want it any other way.
  • Love 5

Here's an interesting fan analysis...

Oliver Queen, Olicity, and Mental Health in Arrow’s 4x06 “Lost Souls”:
http://mimozka.tumblr.com/post/133077431900/oliver-queen-olicity-and-mental-health-in

Another 2 tidbits that I found interesting in terms of Oliver’s mental health and how he processes it is the fact that A) he’s keeping a journal (a well-known method of coping with PTSD and trauma)
and B) in the lovely set that is their bedroom Oliver sleeps on the left side - next to the window - a possible escape route or a weak spot in their security that someone could exploit and say… crash through.
  • Love 2

Paste Magazine had a mostly negative review of 406 (btw, I don't agree)...

Arrow Review: “Lost Souls” (Episode 4.06)
By Mark Rozeman  |  November 12, 2015  |  2:54pm
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/11/arrow-review-lost-souls.html

“Lost Souls” is, in theory, about Team Arrow banding together to save a miniaturized Ray from the clutches of Damien Darhk. I say “in theory” because the hour occasional feels so scattered and filled-to-the-brim with various subplots that it’s hard to tell. Putting aside the inevitable Island Flashback scenes (which, for the record, are okay and mainly focus on the evil military group looking for some nebulous artifact), the episode also features the return of Felicity’s mother, Donna, a fight between Oliver and Felicity as to the nature of their relationship, Sara’s trouble transitioning back into superhero-fighting and Thea mulling over a date proposal by Oliver’s campaign manager. Any one of these could be a major, meaty subplot, had they been given their own episode to breathe. When strung together like this, however, each one of the stories just ends up feeling half-baked.
The Oliver-Felicity plotline doesn’t fare much better, with the episode veering awkwardly between broad domestic comedy (Felicity is horrified that Oliver and Donna have been communicating without her knowledge! Oliver is feeling threatened and unsure of why Felicity choose to settle down with him!) and stabs at legitimate “trouble in paradise” drama (Felicity is afraid she’s following in her mother’s footsteps and centering her life on a man). By episode’s end, these conflicts have mostly resolved themselves, making the whole thing seem a bit superfluous and like conflict for conflict’s sake.
“Lost Souls” feels like several Arrow episodes crammed into one. The end result is several disparate stories that feel watered down and randomly shuffled about. To the creative team’s credit, however, it never specifically feels like the disaster I’ve made it out to be. Certainly, in the moment, the episode is just as fun as the half-dozen or so that have preceded it. With the show now in its senior year, it’s hard to not marvel at how effectively the cast and crew have crafted a well-oiled machine that, even with its occasional bumps, never fails to get you where you want to be.

Nerd Reactor's podcast review of 406 - the guys thought it was a "good episode" and that the show is on an upswing continuing from last week's Constantine episode (though their frequent giggling and occasional sexist remarks were a little irritating, I was surprised that they weren't harsher on an Olicity-focused episode)...

Arrow NR Podcast – S04E06 ‘Lost Souls’ review
November 12, 2015 Mike Villarreal
http://nerdreactor.com/2015/11/12/arrow-nr-podcast-s04e06-lost-souls-review/

Arrow Season 4 Episode 6 Review – ‘Lost Souls’
NOVEMBER 12, 2015 BY JESSIE ROBERTSON
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/11/arrow-season-4-episode-6-review-lost-souls.html

Did anyone else think we were seeing the end of Olli-city? -Does anyone even reference that cutesy name anymore? The facts are those two characters (and actors) are great together; the way they’ve changed each other, or found each other in each other, is very evident and I understand every relationship has it’s rough patches, but to play up that they may be at an end when there is so many reasons why they should stay together was very forced. It didn’t last long; in it’s defense, and even when Oliver says, as he sits up on the bed, shirtless and hulking and gorgeous, “can’t believe we made it this far” as his relationships don’t have a good track record, but just settle into this and let it keep riding. Felicity feeding off the danger (more and more of it) as Oliver domesticates himself (as a pretty good chef and keeping a journal?), it’s a fun transition and a path that no one knew they wanted but feels right to be on. I believe they may continue to stumble as more and more roadblocks come up and as the finale looms closer and the tombstone rears it’s ugly head (i’m getting the sense it could be Thea now)

Paste Magazine had a mostly negative review of 406 (btw, I don't agree)...

Arrow Review: “Lost Souls” (Episode 4.06)

By Mark Rozeman  |  November 12, 2015  |  2:54pm

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/11/arrow-review-lost-souls.html

This review is so weird and confusing.  They say it's a mess and then they turn around and say "however, it never specifically feels like the disaster I’ve made it out to be. Certainly, in the moment, the episode is just as fun as the half-dozen or so that have preceded it. With the show now in its senior year, it’s hard to not marvel at how effectively the cast and crew have crafted a well-oiled machine that, even with its occasional bumps, never fails to get you where you want to be."

How does that even make sense?

Arrow/The Flash Stars Preview 'Bigger, Crazier' Crossover Event — Plus: Who's MIA? Which Reunion Didn't Happen? TV-LIne 11/15/15

http://tvline.com/2015/11/15/arrow-the-flash-legends-of-tomorrow-crossover-spoilers/

Not a lot new. Just a couple things. No Iris. Not much Joe. or Quentin. 

Sorry, fans,” says Candice Patton, but Iris is “actually not involved at all. I know that’s quite a disappointment to a lot of people, but she’s not involved in the crossovers that we have explored thus far. It doesn’t mean that we won’t ever see that. We know that crossovers have been extremely popular in our universe … so I’m sure we’ll have more.” Also not having much to do during the upcoming event: Joe West and Captain Lance. (Guess you don’t need cops when you have… Legends.)

Jay is in it, but no interaction with Arrow characters. 

Although Jay Garrick “does not have interaction with the crossover characters, he very much has a story,” Teddy Sears reports. Per the official Flash episode synopsis, Harrison develops a serum to help Barry run faster, and asks Jay to test it out. (Hmm, could someone be getting their superspeed back?)

Also for clarification:

Some leather-clad crimefighters may be missing in that above photo. We only count seven present, but “we shot a scene… that had, like, nine superheroes in it,” Amell describes in awe. “Nine people with either powers or supersuits. It was an amazing thing to look out over the scene and see the world that has been built over the course of three-plus years.”

Edited by BkWurm1

Sometimes I wish Stephen wouldn't word things like that. He to is excluding the unmasked heroes.

I trust that he will gush about the rest of the show and cast as well, but it had to be a surreal moment to have 8 other people dressed in costume because your character worked and was embraced.  I'll let him have his moment. 

• Love 8

I trust that he will gush about the rest of the show and cast as well, but it had to be a surreal moment to have 8 other people dressed in costume because your character worked and was embraced.  I'll let him have his moment. 

Yeah, I'll let SA have his moment. It must feel really great for him, knowing that all this evolved because of his show.

But, honestly, the picture they released with the 7 masks? Really looks like a kinda average cosplay gathering with very attractive, fit people underneath the masks/suits. Actually, some of the cosplayers I've seen at SDCC/Wondercon had costumes that were better constructed/looked far more awesome than a few of the masks on the Flarrow crossover (sorry, BC, Spartan, Thanagarians/Hawk people, and kinda GA). Maybe the cinematography and onscreen color/light adjustments, plus the scene directions, will make the whole thing look better/pop more in the episode. I hope Blake Neely works his magic and adds a great score that'll complete the epic feel of a pseudo-Justice League, that I'm assuming they're aiming for, to make the scenes seem cooler.

• Love 7

This Arrow After Show for 406 had ER as the guest...

Arrow Season 4 Episode 6 Review w/ Elysia Rotaru | AfterBuzz TV
Streamed live on Nov 12, 2015, by AfterBuzz TV

Edited by tv echo

Here's a really, really negative review of 406 (Matt and Chris don't see any chemistry between Oliver & Felicity - Chris hates Felicity, doesn't understand what Oliver sees in her, and hated this episode - Matt dislikes Oliver, doesn't understand why Felicity is drawn to Oliver, likes Sara the best, and thought this was an average episode - so why are they even watching Arrow?)...

‘Arrow’ Post-Show Analysis: Season 4, Episode 6: ‘Lost Souls’
by CA Post-Show Team November 16, 2015 9:00 AM
http://comicsalliance.com/arrow-post-show-analysis-lost-souls/

(I think I'm going to drop these guys from my media list for episode reviews.  As a Felicity fan, I don't want to spread Felicity hate.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

TV Fanatics' round table discussion of 406 (I only quoted the Olicity part - they also discuss Sara, Ray, Donna, DD's box, etc.)...

Arrow Round Table: Sparks are Flying
Carissa Pavlica at November 16, 2015 8:00 am
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2015/11/arrow-round-table-sparks-are-flying/

How do you feel about Oliver and Felicity 1/4 into Arrow Season 4?

Lindsay: I actually loved this episode because it showed that Olicity can have relationship issues that make sense for their characters but also don't take over the narrative completely. Seeing them at odds or happy all the time would be tiring, but I think they've found a good balance.

Liz: I surprisingly like it. It seems to be working well, I just feel like they're doing so well that something has to go wrong. Then again, they could always mess up someone else's life. To add to what Lindsay said, they're doing a good job of depicting a real (as real as superheroes can be) relationship.

Hank: It's working for me as well, though Ms. Smoak felt a bit too much like Arrow Season 3 Felicity in this episode. One of the reasons I was never for "Olicity" is because of these little relationship ups and downs. It makes the show more of a soap opera than an action adventure. That said, I think the relationship was handled well here and their friendship is still solid. I'm not as bothered by Olicity as I expected to be.

Caralynn: My Olicity issue was always twofold – it took up a lot of time in season 3 and seemed incredibly melodramatic. I've always loved the interplay between the two characters. Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards obviously have amazing chemistry! They've grown on me now that they're behaving like an actual couple, with ups and downs. In all this was a surprisingly emotionally affecting episode, Olicity-wise. I'm liking it. And more convinced than ever that she is NOT in that grave at the end of the season.

Carissa: I was impressed with the material in the episode and don't find their union overly melodramatic at all. I was surprised that almost all of the comments I received were anti-Felicity. Everyone always assumes I am anti-Felicity and especially anti-Olicity, but I'm anti artificial drama. There hasn't been any. What she expressed was real, and it felt organic to the season overall.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
Did anyone else think we were seeing the end of Olli-city? -Does anyone even reference that cutesy name anymore?

Sorry, but this had me totally rolling my eyes. Really? You can't spell Olicity right? A quick Google search would have given you the answer. In fact, a quick Google search would have told you Olicity is considered SEO (search engine optimization)-friendly. Hence the reason so many entertainment websites is using it for clickbait. So yeah, people still reference the "cutesy" name. 

• Love 9
Hank: It's working for me as well, though Ms. Smoak felt a bit too much like Arrow Season 3 Felicity in this episode. One of the reasons I was never for "Olicity" is because of these little relationship ups and downs. It makes the show more of a soap opera than an action adventure. That said, I think the relationship was handled well here and their friendship is still solid. I'm not as bothered by Olicity as I expected to be.

I continue to be baffled that people refer to the romance side of the show as a soap opera. We've had sister swapping, love triangles, kidnapping, actual magic, men injected with a serum to make them super strong, someone who was influenced with magic mind control herbs to kill another person, a man who can shrink himself to the size of a tater tot, baby mama drama, evil parents, identical twin we never knew existed, characters coming back from the dead and yet the romance is too soapy?! ARE THEY SERIOUS?! 

I mean, honestly, the way they're handling Oliver and Felicity's relationship this season so far is one of the last remaining threads keeping this show grounded in reality, IMO. As someone who always preferred the show to be as grounded as possible, all I'm saying is thank god for Olicity.  JFC. 

Edited by Guest

"These little relationship up and downs" making the show "a soap opera" for him makes me think he's never seen a relationship on TV before. Or been in a relationship in real life. 

"Honey, how many times do I have to ask you to leave the toilet seat down?"

"Good God, woman! I don't need this kind of drama in my life!"

• Love 18

I continue to be baffled that people refer to the romance side of the show as a soap opera. We've had sister swapping, love triangles, kidnapping, actual magic, men injected with a serum to make them super strong, someone who was influenced with magic mind control herbs to kill another person, a man who can shrink himself to the size of a tater tot, baby mama drama, evil parents, identical twin we never knew existed, characters coming back from the dead and yet the romance is too soapy?! ARE THEY SERIOUS?! 

People coming back from the Dead, previously unknown identical twin, surprise parentage reveals, are all staples of Soaps.  And yet Olicity Relationship Drama makes Arrow into a Soap?  LOL

Honestly, anytime I hear that I supplement with one of two real statements...I don't want girl cooties it's icky, romance is for chicks or I hate it because it's not my ship, I'd be totally OK with the "Soap" shit if it was my pairing 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 22

I am so annoyed with the bullshit cris of romance killing an action adventure show. Arrow has never been an action adventure imo. It's a family drama with action. Season 1, 2 and 4 have Oliver returning home and dealing with the consequences or stuff that happened during his absence and/or from what caused his absence. Season 3 was the first time Oliver hasn't had a break from "family" drama.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3

DCTV Female Badasses of the Week: Felicity Smoak, Kara Danvers and Linda Park

http://fangirlish.com/dctv-female-badasses-of-the-week/

tumblr_nxt4r7odJN1qh31efo2_500.gif

Felicity Smoak has always been my favorite character on Arrow for a number of reasons. Whether it’s her intelligence, her compassion, her courage, and her fierce determination to do whatever it takes to protect the people she loves, but also because on a show ripe with superheroes who show physical dominance, she shines as a hero. Simply put, she set the standard for heroes without costumes and physical prowess.

For a character that has stolen all of our hearts since the third episode of season one, there’s still so much mystery in Felicity Smoak’s story. We’ve gotten bits and pieces here and there, and it took three years until we actually learned some significant things about her past when her mother came to town. So the more we learn about Felicity’s past and how she’s triumphed through the adversity and watched as it threatened to influence her present happiness is something that really makes Felicity a relatable character and one that we care immensely about.

Arrow‘s latest episode “Lost Souls” was such an important episode for Felicity. It shed light on her insecurities and her fears regarding losing herself in Oliver as pieces of her past threatened to prohibit her from living her life the way she wants to live it. We got to see the all-important tension in her relationship with Oliver and how her father’s abandonment factored into her fears in falling too in love with Oliver to the point where it would literally destroy her if he were to ever leave her, which we know he’d never do. And we got to see Felicity and Oliver handle the situation in a very adult way and work through that tension, which further solidified their relationship.

This was such an important thing to see; to see that Felicity isn’t perfect; that she wasn’t acting as rationally as she has in the past. These are the kinds of episodes that let characters shine; where we get to see what makes them tick and watch them grow before our eyes as they respond to the adversity in front of them and come through the other side.

Diggle was able to encapsulate all that Felicity Smoak is with this one quote in his heart-to-heart with Oliver:

“Felicity Smoak is one of the smartest, most badass women on the planet.”

Felicity never has and never will need to show her heroism or just how badass and strong she is through physical superiority. There are many ways that one shows their strength whether it’s through that physical prowess that seems to always take precedence over other forms of strength like intelligence and emotional strength. But Felicity showed us once again how she continues set the bar for heroes without costumes or physical superiority.

Felicity’s strength rests in her foundation, and who she is as a person. And who she is as a person is someone who loves deeply with all of her heart, has a fierce determination to protect those she loves at all costs, and possesses the intelligence that quite frankly has made Team Arrow’s successes the successes they are. Every week Felicity shows us new and familiar ways that she shines as a badass, and then we’re treated with weeks like this where we get to see that center stage. And it’s brilliant and inspiring to all of us ladies out there who continue to define our own badassery by our own unique strengths.

• Love 3

What's funny about that is tvfanatic is the site. The site has that woman modwildtv who went after EBR and CP. So they will go after a character who works on the show and then quietly put this list out there on the one character who hasn't worked in 3+ years. Because that makes total sense.

Katie Cassidy Interview - enjoy

http://thepcprinciple.com/pcp/?p=7982

I took the liberty of pulling my favorite quotes:

I definitely think that it’s been so awesome and so fulfilling to be the female lead of a show and not be just the love interest.

Her reaction to hearing that she was going to be BC:

When they told me at the end of Season 2 that it was going to happen, of course I was excited. I remember when I put on the jacket, as corny as it might sound; I had tears in my eyes because I was so genuinely excited. I was totally geeking out over it and thinking I was such a nerd, but I love it!

Re: the possibility of a Birds of Prey tribute

I certainly hope so! Don’t you think it should be its own show starring me of course! Maybe I should just put that out in the universe! It would be cool for sure and I am totally for the modern day woman and think it would be cool to have kickass women on a show.

What a goldmine of an interview, confirming that a) the "female lead" business is something that KC herself pushes, and b) like many people suspected, she totally broke character in the jacket hand-off scene with Sara in 2x23.

And I know it's been discussed many, many times about why a BoP show isn't going to happen, and I don't want to get that conversation started again, but man, I wish they would make it. Starring KC, of course!

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 13

What a goldmine of an interview, confirming that a) the "female lead" business is something that KC herself pushes, and b) like many people suspected, she totally broke character in the jacket hand-off scene with Sara in 2x23.

It's an obvious PR job put together by KC's people, you can tell because the reporter actually uses KC's talking points in the questions. Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Well, she certainly seems to believe in putting things "out in the universe" given how often she mentions being a "lead" or how often she gets it repeated in these kinds of articles.

I really do feel for her. Nobody else is doing much promoting her and she's not getting positive buzz about her role. I'm sure she and her team feel like she's got to do it whenever there's an opportunity.

She's used that term in a lot of her interviews, tbh. Not that I really care because, technically, she is female lead. It's not like she's lying. She just doesn't need to lay it on so thick, you know?

I wish she'd stop shading EBR... It's as though she's implying that being a love interest diminishes your character. It's disrespectful to her friend. She needs to learn that. 

And she really should stop with the whole love interest thing because it's clear how desperate she was for that role until S4. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 10

Or she isn't even shading EBR, those two are like Christina/Britney where majority of their drama was all in the fans heads.

EBR isn't just a love interest unless someone views her as so, doesn't mean that Katie views Felicity as just a love interest. She's glad that she isn't just a love interest and that there is more to the character then arm candy.

Edited by Primal Slayer

Or she isn't even shading EBR, those two are like Christina/Britney where majority of their drama was all in the fans heads.

Didn't say it was intentional shade. She needs to learn. 

When people mess up, we should expect them to learn from their mistakes. Phrasing is important. It could cause a lot of unnecessary drama. And If I were EBR and read this, I'd feel hurt. 

So yeah. KC needs to learn how to phrase things better. 

• Love 5

She isn't messing up to her, she isn't messing up to me, some may view it as that but that doesn't mean she has to change it when it isn't anything to get hyped up over.  I think that those two (KC/EBR) are comfortable enough with each other and know each other well enough to know if the other is trying to be shady. Of course at the end of the day it all downs to interpretation. 

The time I  felt she was shading Felicity, was at that con when she said: "Laurel can be the strong independent woman & Felicity the love interest." Otherwise, all of her interviews are the same spiel. She has used that lead line before but it doesn't bother me at all because she's not treated like one. As long as she remains as is, and doesn't clog up the show, I'm fine.

Lol this whole interview is basically: ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME.

Best part though:

Don’t you think it should be its own show starring me of course!

And she is definetely shading and quite bitter. And it makes her look like a hypocryte especially how she tried so hard to go back to being the LI of the star of the show again, but is now shading another female character for being one. She was pushing the LI angle all through s3 (oh and lets not forget soulmates)!

But apparently LL has her own storyline (where exactly?) and is a strong, independant woman but still wants to be part of the Olicity triangle. Ok whatever KC.

• Love 4

And she is definitely shading and quite bitter. And it makes her look like a hypocryte especially how she tried so hard to go back to being the LI of the star of the show again, but is now shading another female character for being one. She was pushing the LI angle all through s3 (oh and lets not forget soulmates)

She has to be a little bitter because not only did they bring back the Black Canary most people prefer, CL/Sara is the one that gets to star in her own show. Not being the love interest and being the second rate BC makes her unimportant and unnecessary to the show.  

• Love 5

She isn't messing up to her, she isn't messing up to me, some may view it as that but that doesn't mean she has to change it when it isn't anything to get hyped up over.  I think that those two (KC/EBR) are comfortable enough with each other and know each other well enough to know if the other is trying to be shady. Of course at the end of the day it all downs to interpretation. 

To each their own!

• Love 1

I think if it is shade, it's very unintentionally thrown. Katie and Emily appear to be friends, so I'm sure she's not going around trying to sabotage Emily's career. I'm thinking that trying to say that it's exciting to be a lead (female) character on the show where her duty is not love interest. And seeing how this is the CW I'm sure it is exciting.

Also I don't see Emily's Felicity as solely love interest and I don't think anyone else but the hard core comics fans do either.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 1

The time I  felt she was shading Felicity, was at that con when she said: "Laurel can be the strong independent woman & Felicity the love interest." Otherwise, all of her interviews are the same spiel. She has used that lead line before but it doesn't bother me at all because she's not treated like one. As long as she remains as is, and doesn't clog up the show, I'm fine.

She said that??? Yikes. Poor taste. 

Truthfully I wonder how much of friends KC and EBR really are. I mean they could just be PR friends.

I do feel like KC's comments are shading EBR even if unintentionally and really any other character who is a love interest. I mean on Arrow and the Flash even the love interests do have other things to do. So I just don't see the point of that at all. YMMV

• Love 5