Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

114 'The Odyssey' when Felicity discovered Oliver's secret and joined the team was what really hooked me and actually made me want to finish marathoning the show (I only started watching when s2 was halfway through). And then episode 115 'The Dodger' was really great because the dynamic of that Team Arrow was pretty flawless. I finally had something which invested me in the show. Oliver's connection to Diggle and Felicity gave me a connection to his character. 

I agree with @apinknightmare though. I do miss that season-long mystery, or at least a well written mystery. Sara's killer was just a predictable mess.

I think half watched Arrow during S1 then let a bunch fill up my DVR. The Odyssey episode is when I really started paying attention and binged watched the rest of season. However it was season 2 that hooked me to the show with the addition of Sara's Black Canary. Which is why I dropped the show in Season 3, and that turned out be a good decision since it sounded terrible. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I've watched the show as it aired since the pilot, but when S1 ended, I still wasn't invested enough to get fannish about it. I did start liking it after 111 [and yes, The Odyssey and Dodger are my favorite S1 eps], but I basically watched the episodes and forgot about them until the next week.

A few weeks before S2 a friend of mine wanted to get caught up, so I binge-watched S1 with her, and that's when I got invested in the characters enough to start reading fic. And then 201-209 made me love Oliver-Felicity-Diggle enough to get to my crazy fangirl mode.

...And then it all went to crap. Hi.

• Love 5

Yep. It's not about which particular episode did it [although the Variety piece makes it sound like it was, because Variety is dumb], but about how many episodes total it took to make the show happen. 8 episodes is A LOT, really. All this tells me is that a good amount of people were willing to see if the show was gonna improve -- which it did.

I think by 1x08 the show had jelled and you could see what the shape of the series was going to be (Oliver/Diggle team, Moira shady, underlying mystery, Tommy/Laurel relationship, hacker Felicity).

I liked the "feel" of S2 much better than S1, and I think that's what really hooked me.... 
Once I started watching live (I think 2x11 was my first live viewing), I was always anxiously awaiting the next ep, no matter how terrible I thought the one I had just watched was (like "The Promise," and "Birds of Prey").

I think 2A was really sound but 2B was full of episodes that I just wanted them to hurry up and get over, hoping they would get back to how good I knew they could be.  There was always the anticipation but for me 12-18 was mostly a dead zone.

• Love 3

I personally loved the back half of s1 and all of S2. I think they stretched the s2 Flashbacks a bit in 2b but I enjoyed the episodes any way. I do wish they wouldn't have put Sara and Oliver in a relationship because Ick for the sister dynamic. 

• Love 2

I think 2A was really sound but 2B was full of episodes that I just wanted them to hurry up and get over, hoping they would get back to how good I knew they could be.  There was always the anticipation but for me 12-18 was mostly a dead zone.

This was me. 2a was just a series of consistently great episodes, one after the other, and then from 211 to 218 I mostly spent the time wondering where the hell Diggle and Felicity was. So not that great for me. There was still a desire to watch though, and know what was going to happen but that was mainly because I loved Slade. I thought he was a great villain, shitty love triangle motivations aside.

Colton and Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity) have a comic book tradition.

“Emily and I, we still go to comic book places in whatever city we’re in sometimes, and we buy comics there and say hello to people, so yeah. It’s so cool.”

Seven crazy cool things you need to know about Colton Haynes

By: Tatin Yang   06:06 AM September 25th, 2015

http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/207785/seven-crazy-cool-things-you-need-to-know-about-colton-haynes

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

This is more of a review of S3 than of the DVD (portions quoted below)...

Arrow: The Complete Third Season DVD review
Posted on September 25, 2015 By Pip Ellwood
http://www.entertainment-focus.com/tv-review/arrow-the-complete-third-season-dvd-review/

The third season of Arrow came in for some criticism during its run, mostly to do with the flashback narrative for the season and the lukewarm reception to Ra’s al Ghul. Whilst it’s true that the flashbacks to Hong Kong didn’t always work or feel necessary, we would disagree when it comes to Ra’s. We thought he was a formidable enemy and his character introduced a mystical twist to the show that has previously stayed grounded in the real world.

Stephen Amell continues to be the star of the show with his nuanced performance as the tortured Oliver Queen. He’s ably supported by the excellent David Ramsey as Diggle, the energetic Colton Haynes as Roy Harper and Emily Bett Rickards as on/off love interest and tech wizard Felicity Smoak. It’s nice to see Katie Cassidy finally getting something meatier to do with her character Laurel too and the way she is integrated into Team Arrow, whilst divisive, is actually very clever.

This is interesting - even if you just skip over the Flash parts, the analysis of Arrow's S3 alone is worth reading (portions quoted below)...

Arrow vs. The Flash: Dramatic Irony in Superhero TV
Kayti Burt 9/25/2015 at 8:41AM
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/the-flash/249318/arrow-vs-the-flash-dramatic-irony-in-superhero-tv

... Every opportunity the show had to give us insight that might explain why the characters (especially Oliver) were acting the ways they were acting or to create tension were eschewed...
Asking the viewers to believe that Oliver had been effectively brainwashed was the chief dramatic failure of a season that didn’t do a whole lot well. This was a great chance for dramatic irony, and Arrow totally missed it. Avoiding dramatic irony isn't inherently a bad storytelling choice. Sometimes, being an out-of-the-loop viewer can be just as compelling. It creates its own kind of suspense.

Unfortunately, this was not one of those times. At least, not with the way the show told the story: i.e. trying to convince us that Oliver was conditioned into killing his friends and his family after three weeks of early morning buckets of water to the face and no cable. This is the dude who spent years fighting for his life on a remote island. This is the dude who runs away to that same remote island run shirtless through the jungle when things get tough. This is the dude who sledgehammers and salmon ladders in his free time and, from what I have observed, counts "willfully masochistic" as one of his primary character traits.
Sure, Oliver is terrible at communicating, but he isn’t usually so terrible at being a vigilante martyr. It doesn’t make sense that he would trust Malcolm Merlyn and not his loved ones for no particularly good reason with such a terrible non-plan. This was the latest in a string of confusing, dramatic irony-avoiding choices that served to distance Oliver from the viewers over the course of season 3 through the show’s inability to thoroughly explain characters’ motivations.... (read more)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

Interesting choices made by this writer (he picked 2 episodes from S1, 5 episodes from S2, and 3 episodes from S3)...

Arrow: 10 Best Episodes So Far
Connor Briggs-Morris   25 Sep 2015
http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-10-best-episodes-so-far.php

10 - Public Enemy (3x18)
9 - Unthinkable (2x23)
8 - The Climb (3x09)
7 - Deathstroke (2x18)
6 - The Brave and the Bold (3x08)
5 - City of Blood (2x21)
4 - Sacrifice (1x23)
3 - The Promise (2x15)
2 - The Odyssey (1x14)
1 - Three Ghosts (2x09)

Edited by tv echo

Adage published their yearly TV Ad Pricing Chart

http://adage.com/article/media/ad-pricing-chart-sunday-night-football-empire-broadcasts-most-expensive-ad-buys/300516/

Fox's "Empire" is costing advertisers $497,364 on average for a 30-second commercial, according to Ad Age's annual pricing chart, positioning it as the No. 2 most expensive broadcast show this fall.

TV's Costliest Show: NBC's "Sunday Night Football" averages $603,000 for a 30-second spot.

Most Expensive Scripted Series: Fox's "Empire" clocks in at $497,364 for a 30-second spot.

Biggest Price Decliner: Fox's "Sleepy Hollow," which cracked the top 10 last season, halved its price, now averaging $98,681 for a 30-second spot, down from $202,500 last season.

Biggest Price Gainer: ABC's "How to Get Away With Murder," comes in at No. 5 in its sophomore season, surging 73% to average $252,934 for a 30-second spot.

Most Expensive New Series: In its first season, NBC's "Blindspot" averages $209,700.

TV Ad Pricing Chart for the CW

CP60ZnyUsAEzSqH.png

• Love 1

WOW to the Flash compared to the rest of the CW. 

Maybe ad buyers are worried about fans not returning to Arrow since many(most?) think it was a bad season. And Arrow also has 3 seasons to compare ratings so that might have been a factor?

I am really surprised by the price difference between Flash and Arrow. I would think if Flash can jump from 50 to 70k, they could at least jump Arrow from 47 to 50k after last years ratings. But good for Flash getting that money.

I'm glad that Arrow is at least 2nd among the CW shows.  As I said before, Flash is still the 'buzzy' new show on the CW, plus appeals to that coveted youth & male demos.  I'm more surprised that Jane the Virgin isn't higher - lots of media coverage, Golden Globe win.

Edited by tv echo

Yeah looks like Arrow was 3rd last year and is 2nd this year so that's good. Though VD had a huge drop in price. The CW is making up for all the losses with raising the price of the Flash and the buyers are buying so that's cool. The fans shouldn't see an decrease in special affects and that show is hugely special affects so that's great. 

'Arrow' Season 4: 3 Major Reasons Oliver And Felicity Should Never Get Married

Peter Anthony Sep, 26, 2015, 02:00 PM

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/61490/20150926/arrow-season-4-3-major-reasons-oliver-and-felicity-should-never-get-married.htm

I actually agree with his reasons, though I think his headline is a bit clickbaity - in the article, he doesn't say 'never', just not right now. Though I don't agree that they should always be on the verge of breaking up.

At the risk of being pelted with rocks, I didn't enjoy the Diggle + Lyla + baby storyline at all (bored stiff, actually). And I actively resented the part Lyla was given during the whole Captain Boomerang story - to bring her in just to have been wrong and almost die as punishment really pissed me off. So the idea that they'd mess up Oliver + Felicity that way fills me with fear.

I'm confused as to why anyone thinks Oliver and Felicity would be getting married this season, even if a proposal eventually happens. I can't see it yet. Or maybe I'm just hoping that it doesn't happen this season. Eh. Probably the latter.

The soap opera excuse always makes me laugh though. Have they actually seen the show from the beginning? Have they even read a comic? SOAP, SOAP EVERYWHERE! Haha.

I doubt they will get married this season,probably just a proposal.Its also pretty clear it won't happen in the first episode and that the plan is to actually see them working as a couple first.

The article called Felicity a semi crime fighter and they think Oliver will ask her to stop being on the team if they get married,that tells me all I need to know about how they watch the show.

• Love 10

3. It would take away from an awesome heroine

If Oliver and Felicity get married, Oliver will eventually ask Felicity to abandon her life as a semi-crime fighter. It feels inevitable: Oliver will realize that Felicity is always willing to throw herself in harms way in order to be help him, and he will put a stop to it to ensure her safety. Felicity shouldn't be grounded by domestic life.

Have a crush on Felicity much?

It's ridiculous that Felicity would be the one considered too constantly in danger to continue the mission.

At this point, everyone is in. This is their life. I understand about being cautious in bringing new people into the vigilante life. But for those who have been doing this/began doing this up to S4, I'd like to move on from the 'pushing loved ones away for their safety' trope.

• Love 7

At this point, everyone is in. This is their life. I understand about being cautious in bringing new people into the vigilante life. But for those who have been doing this/began doing this up to S4, I'd like to move on from the 'pushing loved ones away for their safety' trope.

Well, especially considering that was never the reason OQ pushed FS away in the first place. He did it for many reasons, but that wasn't one of them.

• Love 2

Most of this interview is about KL's new movie, Death Valley, but I've quoted the Arrow part...

THE HOTTIE STOP INTERVIEWS KATRINA LAW STAR OF ARROW AND DEATH VALLEY!
19 minutes agoby: Eric Walkuski
http://www.joblo.com/hollywood-celebrities/gossip/the-hottie-stop-interviews-katrina-law-star-of-arrow-and-death-valley-290

Arrow obviously has a very passionate fanbase, have they treated you kindly?

The DC fans are amazing, actually comic book fans in general are just so passionate, I love them all. They've really embraced my character, Nysaa al Gul, who really wasn't that well known in the DC universe, and they've really enjoyed the interpretation that the Arrow writers and producers have given her. I'm honored, it's great to be a part of.

From Laura Hurley (her argument against the above-posted Design&Trend article)...

Devil’s Advocate #6: Why Oliver And Felicity Should Definitely Get Married

Sep 27, 2015 5:25 pm

http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/130014771436/devils-advocate-6-why-oliver-and-felicity

I don't want Oliver and Felicity to get married ... yet. But, oddly enough, I'm not going to be pissed if they actually do end up tying the knot sooner than later because of these very reasons.

I've been liking what we have seen of Felicitys wardrobe so far. It looks colorful professional.

You might be interested in this article then from Fashionista.com: Costume secrets from the upcoming seasons of Reign, The Good Wife and More. There's a graf about Oliver's new outfit, but here's the part about Felicity:

In the meantime, Arrow's now-official girlfriend Felicity Smoak will be upgrading to CEO outfits since Ray Palmer literally jetted on over to "Legends of Tomorrow." But don't expect to see her in Brooks Brothers or anything. "We still want to maintain that sense of fun," said Mani of elevating Felicity's look, but avoiding a "hard-edged suit." She will continue to wear a high-low mix of H&M, Topshop, Sandro and Victoria Beckham. We'll also get a peek at Felicity's personal style outside of the corner office (and the Arrow lair). "Now that we see her in her home, we have more opportunity to show a casual side of her, which in the past we haven't had a chance to do," said Mani.

This is a good article:

23 Times Felicity Smoak Was The Real Superhero Of ‘Arrow’

http://www.mtv.com/news/2285741/felicity-smoak-superhero-arrow/?xrs=_s.tw_news

Best line: 

Felicity got a lot of crap last season for crying a lot. But, the way I see it, she was the strongest one on the team. She refused to ignore her emotions, while still getting stuff done. While Oliver — and other masculine-type heroes — often fall into the Emotions=Weakness Trope Trap, Felicity knows the value of confronting one’s emotions head on.

• Love 14

I'm seeing all these tweets from fans asking for a response or reason why an interview between Larry King and Stephen and Emily haven't been arranged. They're tagging everybody now, including Emily's friends in the media. I guess I understand the frustration. This is something that's been percolating since before Season 3 ended, I think. The production company handling Larry King's show have tweeted numerous times about its interest in doing the interview. I can only assume they've tried to reach out to the show or CW's PR. Recently, they tweeted and asked if there's anybody else the fans want interviewed aside from SA and EBR, which makes me think that's not gonna happen. I really am wondering why no one can seem to arrange it. I mean, it's Larry King. Might not have the same clout or audience as before but it's still Larry freakin' King. Would be a nice follow to that interview way back in Season 1, I think, with Stephen and Greg Berlanti and he asked about Olicity.

• Love 2

I don't watch Larry King. I wonder how much cross traffic there is in viewership. I'm still a little surprised SA and GB were on the show.

They seem to really want SA and EBR's on the show. Now it sounds like they are trying to save face with the fans by extending the inivite to other cast members.

I think it's cool that they reached out to fans, but I probably would have had it in my pocket before generating buzz. The silence from Arrow peeps and the not-direct-answer from the talk show starts a lot of fan speculation.