Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

He's conveniently forgetting that Curtis was supposed to get laid off from PT in 402. There would be no T-spheres at all if Felicity hadn't stood up for her employees and saved their jobs.

I believe hating Felicity requires one to conveniently forget or completely fabricate what happens on screen... Lmao

• Love 11

I think it's great that as much as some people love Felicity or hate her, there's really no denying that she brings so much press to Arrow.  Even a single poster of her can cause so much chatter during the hiatus.  She's really irreplaceable.

• Love 5

He makes some very valid points.  But, then there is "Supernatural" where the misery the Winchester bros face knows no bounds and they could go on for a decade. 

Or....11 seasons.....or 12...I'm good with 13..

• Love 1

As a patentable invention, it may depend on Curtis' employment circumstances:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/who-owns-patent-rights-employer-inventor.html

She kept him employed specifically to save the company with his inventions. There's no way those (fairly rare) exceptions would apply, bc then he'd be using PT resources to invent crap for his own benefit, when that is the opposite of why he's still employed there. I feel entirely comfortable in saying that the sphere itself belongs to PT, and all associated intellectual property rights belong to PT.

As an aside, the physical t-sphere would be mostly covered by patents, probably a bunch of different patents, and probably some copyrights for any associated software coding. (Like a computer...there's hardware and software...hardware is patented, software is copyrighted.)

• Love 3

Curtis' T-spheres could be considered copyrighted material and/or patentable inventions...

As copyrighted material, they would likely be considered the property of Curtis' employer, Palmer Tech:

http://copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

As a patentable invention, it may depend on Curtis' employment circumstances:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/who-owns-patent-rights-employer-inventor.html

Circumstances where the inventor retains the rights to their discovery while they work for a company are extremely rare. Like, I can't think of any off the top of my head rare. The only situations I can think of are if the inventor himself is a big shot already and negotiates to keep his intellectual property rights when he signs the employment agreement at hiring. (And even under those circumstances, the agreements tend to be more like collaborations rather than the person being employed by the company.) Curtis, from all appearances, is just another regular employee that was deemed so insignificant that he was one of the people that were going to get laid off as part of PT's cost-cutting measures before Felicity stood up to the Board.

She kept him employed specifically to save the company with his inventions. There's no way those (fairly rare) exceptions would apply, bc then he'd be using PT resources to invent crap for his own benefit, when that is the opposite of why he's still employed there. I feel entirely comfortable in saying that the sphere itself belongs to PT, and all associated intellectual property rights belong to PT.

As an aside, the physical t-sphere would be mostly covered by patents, probably a bunch of different patents, and probably some copyrights for any associated software coding. (Like a computer...there's hardware and software...hardware is patented, software is copyrighted.)

PT would own everything, because they would be the ones filing all the patents. Big companies have their own legal departments that handle this sort of thing every day.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4

I would be more inclined to agree with AyChihuahua in this case, given where Curtis works.  Patent work that gives ownership to the inventor are primarily found in research institutes generally in the education sector, whereas places that are for-profit such as PalmerTech are more like Apple or Intel in the real world where the for-profit company would definitely own the patent and all rights to inventions created under its umbrella.

• Love 1

Yeah, a company would only agree not to own all the IP rights if the inventor was a HUGE name, and it was pretty much a collaboration: our resources for your brains and we split the rights/profits. Otherwise why would they bother?

I do agree, and this is more an impression than a fact, that it's a bit more common in academia. I'm betting there are a few big-name MIT professors who focus on research/inventing who get to keep more rights, bc that way MIT gets to be associated with genius, which is itself valuable for an academic institution.

(Btw, this is kind of bringing back my law school days. A friend and I spent HOURS debating the interplay of Buffy's vampire-entry rules and property law. It was SO MUCH FUN.)

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

In some universities, they have a shared patent agreement - something like inventor owns the patents so he gets to decide who to allow using the invention, but the university gets a cut of the profits for the invention - it is a way to keep the inventor (in this case a professor) happy to stay with the university but the university gets money, too. 

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 2

I just find the GATV's saying "ZOMG, Felicity stole Curtis's tech and is posing with it!" laughably moronic. Who gets to present Apple's new stuff to the press and in the public every year? Tim fucking Cook, CEO of Apple that's who. Not the thousands of employees that put all the work into making it. 

But of course he's going to seize any opportunity to diminish and put down Felicity, because he's a douche.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 20

Curtis hasn't figured out how to make the T-sphere really work.  It would be cool if the reason Felicity is holding the T-sphere is because she perfected the T-sphere for Curtis - just like how her contribution was necessary to make Ray's suit work.

• Love 13

The CW renews everything, obviously including Arrow.

http://tvline.com/2016/03/11/cw-renewed-shows-2016-new-season-lineup-arrow-the-flash-the-100/

ETA: Deadline article, includes a little bit of additional information, including that the SPN stars have deals through season 13, so you guys might not be off on the season 13 thing.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/the-cw-supernatural-vampire-diaries-renewed-1201718699/

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

I'm surprised they renewed TVD and The Originals and Reign... They're all doing really poorly and don't even have any critic recognition which could potentially justify the network keeping them regardless of low ratings...

• Love 1

I can't believe they renewed everything.  I mean Reign got renewed?  Wow.

Originals was safe because of syndication. I figured TVD was safe because they'd want to give it a final season anouncment.  SPN, Arrow, Flash were safe and even LoT was most likely safe given it's ranking at #3 (for now).

However, Reign, Jane The Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend are just total WTFs?  Yes JtV and Crazy probably got saved by the Golden Globes but still.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Some of these show will be headed for summer. And not everything will get full season order.

That is all 10 of the series currently on the air and Reign, which returns next month. The network is not revealing episode counts — or when each of the series would be slated as Mark Pedowitz remains committed to a year-round schedule that includes making a bolder push with originals in the typically lower-rated summer period.
Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 1

This may be my favorite list that Hurley has ever done.

I really loved these parts about the Baby Mama Drama

Thanks to the baby mama drama, the hero of the show looks like a shockingly shortsighted liar at best and an astonishingly irresponsible coward at worst.

and

Oliver actively deceived the woman he was planning to marry, refused to come clean even when a supervillain revealed that he knew of his son’s existence, neglected to call the mother to give her a heads up that a supervillain knew about their son, and never once apologized for the damage done by his deceit. Arrow isn’t even keeping the kid around, so all the audience is left with is a tainted hero, a broken main romance, and a sour taste. Now that William is gone, it’s genuinely hard not to wonder what the point of the plot really was.

The part about Insta-Black Canary this had me laughing hard

Oliver and Sara went through crucibles in their early twenties that broke them down mentally as well as physically, and they were forged into weapons as results of their experiences. They had unconventional training that gave them an edge, and they had survived terrible circumstances that taught them to power through pain and privation. Laurel took boxing lessons wearing trendy workout gear in a safe, well-lit gym under the tutelage of an indulgent coach who’d take her for tacos after a workout. The foundation for her to become a muscle member of Team Arrow just wasn’t there.

Laura was doing some serious PREACHING in this article!

• Love 7

Don't they have any pilots in store?

I believe they have 4 pilots on order

Some of these show will be headed for summer. And not everything will get full season order.

true, I forget that CW is trying to go for a full year schedule.  I wonder if LoT will get a full season order or if they'll keep it for mid season like this year?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Since CW needs to keep a ratio between WB/CBS shows, it is no surprise that Reign got renewed. Plus CW will want to get it to syndication status. Last season will 90% likely to be its last season just like with B&tB/Nikita.

The Originals is in the same exact boat as Reign syndication wise.

TVD is an ok performer with its night and age. I think everyone reupped their contracts for 2/3 seasons so CW will totally give them a farewell season instead of cancelling it all of a sudden.

Only if you take what he said as 100% serious and not joking around.

The classic "Why can't you take a joke?" response to a nasty comment. The last refuge of the called-out.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 7

Waiting to see what they've done with Rory on LoT, I can't see them getting rid of "Heat Wave" before the series even really gets started but who knows? He could be one of those "exits" AK's referring to along with Laurel (which some are hoping for, I'm not excluding myself). I really wouldn't mind seeing Caitlin exit they really need to give her more to do IMO. I really don't see anyone leaving "Supergirl" right now. I think "returns" - aren't they bringing back John Wesley Shipp to "The Flash". I hope they NEVER bring back Patti on Flash!!. Arrow also doesn't need the return of any more characters (unless in a ghost form to talk to one of the characters), the show needs to figure out what to do with the ones that they currently have IMO

Edited by Ann Mack

Walker Nation podcast interview with David Rapaport, casting director for Arrow, Flash, LoT and Supergirl (60.44 min.)...

EP 11 DAVID RAPAPORT – CASTING DIRECTOR
BY DAVE SOLO  MARCH 10, 2016 // 12:36 PM
http://fanfest.com/ep-11-david-rapaport-casting-director/

-- He talks about the casting process and his job as a casting director.

-- He talks about casting SA starting at around the 24:30 mark.  He says that it's very rare for someone like a SA to walk in and be instantly cast.  SA was the first person on the list that he brought in to the producers. Having cast other shows and knowing the story, he just knew that SA was it. However, "that pretty much never happens."  They got lucky with SA.

-- He's a fan of the comics, but he doesn't know them that well. The show producers knows the comics. He tries to match "the essence of the character with the person."  He doesn't try to cast someone who looks exactly like how the character looks in the comics.

-- He talks about his comic con experiences.

-- Other stuff...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Only if you take what he said as 100% serious and not joking around.

1) Even if it was just a joke, I don't think it's funny. 2) Did he joke about Laurel stealing her mask from Sara when the BC photos came out? No. 

If he didn't have anything nice to say, he could've reposted the Felicity photo without comment. No jokes necessary. 

• Love 2

I DGAF what that GATV dude posts and ignore everything he has to say to the point that (ironically) the only time I ever get exposure to him or his site is here. GATV may be somewhat attached to the show but it seems like most of the other media outlets get just as much (if not more) access to photos, scoops, interviews, etc., so I don't feel like I'm missing out by living in ignorance as to anything he has to say. Maybe that's just me though. *shrugs*

• Love 13

The only thing you are missing out on are arguments. Which can be fun. ;)

I guess that would be true if I actually thought they were entertaining, LOL. Fandom fights are about as attractive to me as political ones (which I loathe), but to each his/her own, I guess.

• Love 5

I guess that would be true if I actually thought they were entertaining, LOL. Fandom fights are about as attractive to me as political ones (which I loathe), but to each his/her own, I guess.

I enjoy debates, in which people have a common understanding of facts, logic, and basic common sense. I don't like fights.

• Love 4

I do get a thrill in decimating an ill conceived argument, but it's true that it's less satisfying when the same arguments (by the same people) just rinse and repeat.  I stick it out because part of me thinks at least it cuts down on a self satisfied and insulated group think.  And I'm probably naturally argumentative.  Gotta get it out of my system somewhere, lol. 

• Love 2

Just a brief mention of SA...

Monfredo: Bullying Conference … Best Ever!  Students Are Answer For Change
Saturday, March 12, 2016 John Monfredo
http://www.golocalworcester.com/news/monfredo-bullying-conference-best-ever-students-are-answer-for-change

He invited everyone to sign a pledge card and then showed pictures of celebrities that also signed on… President Obama and Mrs. Obama, Lady Gaga, Paul Donald Wright ( better known by his professional wresting name – The Big Show, and the star the television show “Arrow”, Stephen Amell.  All the photos showed these celebrities wearing the “I Am Somebody” bracelet.

Laura Hurley gives three examples of what she thinks were "organic plot twists" ...

slowcookedvig asks:
I'm also a fan of character development, and get frustrated with Arrow over it. It's interesting that the EPs talk about "organic" development, when their plot twists are often not. I suspect that it's hard to be organic with the way they write: a season-long outline of both plot & character, which is then split between teams of writers and implemented by directors & actors. So, in a search for hope: when have they been especially successful in making their plot twists feel organic?

Mar 12, 2016 7:20 pm

http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/140938633666/im-also-a-fan-of-character-development-and-get

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I stick it out because part of me thinks at least it cuts down on a self satisfied and insulated group think. 

And because there are people lurking who may agree with you but who are afraid to say so because opinion is so heavily biased on the other side.

(This is true for any board, including this one.)

• Love 4

And because there are people lurking who may agree with you but who are afraid to say so because opinion is so heavily biased on the other side.

(This is true for any board, including this one.)

Aww!  I like that!  New reasons to carry on.  ;)

It's funny, new posters do occasionally drop in but surprisingly (not) no one sticks around.