Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

BuddyTV's mixed review of 412 (incidentally, the reviewer got some of his episode titles wrong)...

'Arrow' Recap: Thea's Body Starts to Fail as Roy Returns
Derek Stauffer Wednesday, February 03, 2016
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/arrow-recap-roy-and-nyssa-retu-58742.aspx

"Unchained" saw two Arrow fan favorites return to Star City, Nyssa Al Ghul and Roy Harper. One return was exciting, action-packed and everything fans of the character could have hoped to see. The other was Roy's return. It's not that Roy's homecoming to Star City was bad. Colton Haynes is still about as likable as he's ever been on screen playing Roy Harper and it was fun to see him suit up again. The plot was just a little bland. "Unchained" as a whole felt like a massive set-up for episode 13, "Betrayal". That episode should be a wild ride of Arrow story based on the cliffhanger of "Sins of the Father."
Back in the land of returning sidekicks, dying sisters and lame super villains, Felicity discovers what The Calculator is planning. He is looking to use the tech that Roy created to build a bomb that will destroy Star City. (It's not even May and someone is trying to blow up the city again.) Felicity hacks into the Calculator's computer and we get our first glimpse of him. He's like an evil Felicity but also worse in every way. In any case, Felicity takes a bit of Ray's tech to track down The Calculator.
Oliver is being tortured by Reiter (yet again). Oliver is rescued by the very dead Shado. This is, of course, not Shado but a vision of Shado dreamed up by Oliver's mind. It's not clear how or when any of this is happening. It's not even known if Oliver hallucinated Reiter torturing him. The point is that Shado gives Oliver a pep talk saying that he needs to power through his darkness. She also gives him a rock with some markings. Don't ask. I don't understand it either.

The Workprint's mixed review of 412 (makes some good points)...

'ARROW’ MISSES OF THE WEEK: “UNCHAINED”
BY JEN STAYROOK   FEB 4, 2016
http://www.theworkprint.com/arrow-misses-of-the-week-unchained/123

This week’s episode of Arrow wasn’t the worst but it had some really questionable moments and my goodness I love to rail on this show. On the high side of things, Felicity’s story still remains the most interesting and the identity of The Calculator, AKA Evil Mr. Rogers, was a genuine surprise for me, so kudos there, CW. (Even though I’m reading that a lot of people saw that coming, but whatever. Felicity is my bae. Leave her alone.)

Moreover, several people came back from the “dead” this week, including Roy Harper, Nyssa, Tatsu, and Shado (kind of). Personally, all of them were welcome because I love everything Nyssa brings to the table and Roy is great for calling out Oliver on his BS. I know he probably won’t stick around, but I wish he would. He can be the new Black Canary.

But let’s get to the oopsies of the week, shall we?
Look, I’m all for not overusing a deus ex, especially when it involves bringing more people back from the dead, but the show SPECIFICALLY mentioned Constantine and what he did to cure Sara Lance’s bloodlust. Is a phone call not something Oliver is willing to risk for Thea? Is it only something Constantine can do when a spin-off is on the line? Fine, Roy can start up Teen Titans and Thea is now a member. Get to curing.
Another story line where Oliver has to choose between killing Malcolm Merlyn or saving someone he loves. Hooray.
AND. If Malcolm is Ra’s, wouldn’t he, too, know about The Lotus and the cure for bloodlust? Sure, maybe he didn’t want to go up against the Crescent Order, but that kind of fight doesn’t usually stop him from killing lackeys to get what he wants.
WHY. WHY are we still suffering through this nonsense? Sure, it’s only like 2 minutes a week but it makes no sense to me. No one cares about what happened to Oliver on the island anymore. He has more interesting stories going on in the present. I doubt it, but I hope this is the last season we have to endure these flashbacks to nothing. I know, I know that by the end of the season some of it might make sense, like the tattoos will save Oliver’s life or some shit, but I hate it all.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

We Minored In Film's mixed review of 412 (thought that the episode "wasn’t so much bad as it was dumb") - article also includes a bunch of entertaining fan tweets...

ARROW’S “UNCHAINED” (S4,EP12): MY CHOICE, MY LIFE
February 3, 2016 by Kelly Konda
http://weminoredinfilm.com/2016/02/03/arrows-unchained-s4ep12-my-choice-my-life/

Welcome to season 4 Oliver Queen. On some level, he’s still who he’s always been, but season 4 Oliver is continually more aware of what he would have normally done in past seasons and that he needs to try and break that cycle. We know someone dies, but he doesn’t. His efforts to resist his natural inclination to indulge his hero complex and over-protective nature are ostensibly signs of growth and maturity, but they’re also warning signs that his reluctance to follow his natural impulses might ultimately end in tragedy.

It’s all been remarkably more interesting to behold than I expected, and bravo to Marc Guggenheim and Wendy Mericle for bringing this new element to the series. Granted, it hasn’t exactly been subtle, and having not one but two characters repeat the same exact message to Oliver in “Unchained” was just lazy and annoying. Still, I like watching a hero who is trying to become the type of person who actually listens to his loved ones rather than always rushing to take the blame and save them at all cost, even if in the latter scenario his heart was in the right place.
Mayoral candidate Oliver Queen actually engaged in some nighttime vigilantism without a mask or any kind of costume.
Oliver had a pain-induced vision of Shado in the flashbacks, and once she announced that she was just a vision they then meditated together. With the aid of Shado-vision he directed all of his guilt toward a rock which he clutched onto once he woke up and finally told island flashback girl that he killed her brother. He hopes that she can love him and rescue him from the darkness inside of him just, you know, once she gets over the whole “killed your brother” thing.
There was a sprinkling of disability discrimination from a Palmer Tech board member who didn’t think Felicity should deliver a make-or-break presentation since she is now consigned to that wheelchair. That actually kind of works, but it’s also kind of serious material which feels trivialized when placed next to Oliver’s idiotic meditating flashbacks and Nyssa being winded after 1 minute of sword fighting with Katana.
... Felicity’s annoyance with the idiotic bad guy name “Calculator” was consistently amusing, and her computer hacker stand-off with him was about as cinematic as possible. Tom Amandes was nicely arrogant and cold as Calculator, who is, as widely predicted, actually Felicity’s dad. If you want to say that perhaps the Calculator’s plan the whole time was to merely test Felicity (instead of actually intending to kill thousands of innocents) then this entire episode suddenly seems more interesting.

ChasingSunny16 @chasingsunny16
Seriously, this episode is all over the place. It's like a supporting role reunion episode.  #Arrow
8:45 PM - 3 Feb 2016
Twin Two✨ @GemmaGenGen
Felicity got millions... Someone please get an electric wheelchair #Arrow
8:07 PM - 3 Feb 2016
Christina @MtnLoveGirl
Side note? Why the hell would Oliver be in love with island chick? She's just there taking up space for no reason. #arrow
8:45 PM - 3 Feb 2016
Menna @MennaEZahra
I love it when they rush out like it doesnt take Buckles an hour to put that face on. Her lipstick & lashes alone taken 30 mins #Arrow
8:42 PM - 3 Feb 2016
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

This WhatCulture reviewer really enjoyed 412...

Arrow Season 4: 11 Big Questions We’re Asking After ‘Unchained’
James Hunt  4 Feb 2016
http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-season-4-11-big-questions-were-asking-after-unchained.php

There was a big ol’ reunion on Arrow this week, and everyone was invited. Stopping short of hauling up the corpses of Moira Queen and Tommy Merlyn, the show dug into its past with numerous returning faces, and one mentioned but never before seen.... [H]aving Colton Haynes back was a wonderful addition to Season 4. He had more to do in this one episode than the majority of his time as a series regular, getting a genuinely emotional arc alongside completely random and unnecessary parkour (ok, with Roy it’s always necessary).
8. What Will Happen Between Oliver And Taiana?
Shado gives Oliver a good talking to this week, about him having to defeat the darkness within and face up to what he’s done, and that starts by telling Taiana that he was the one who killed her brother. This might not be so bad, if not for the fact that they’re locked in a cell together. Oh, and he just so happens to love her (obviously).
5. Why Didn’t Constantine Cure Thea?
As referenced in this episode, Sara Lance is running around pretty much fine after her dip in the Lazarus Pit, while Thea’s bloodlust is curing itself by killing the host, leaving her in a coma by the end of the episode... The difference? Constantine brought Sara’s soul back, and didn’t do the same for Thea. The question that just seems to be hanging in the air now, then, is why not? Why, when he’s doing all of his magic, couldn’t he just happen to cure Thea as well?

4. Why Does Nyssa Need Oliver For Her Plan?
... Nyssa (captive after failing to bow to Ra’s al Merlyn) escapes, and heads to Japan in search of the Lotus flower. Why, exactly? Well, it involves Oliver Queen. Basically, she somehow knows of Thea’s predicament, and knows this will save her, and is using that in order to get Oliver to kill Malcolm. That seems like an awfully long-winded plan. Why does she need Oliver involved? She has a legion of assassins clearly loyal to her, and Malcolm is nowhere near Nanda Parbat... Rise up, take it for yourself, then have an army to defeat him. It might not work, but it’s surely just as effective as asking Oliver to kill his sister’s father.

2. Will Oliver kill Malcolm?
No... Ok, I’ll flesh that out a bit more (could’ve made a *hilarious* NOOOOO joke here, but I’ll rise above it…). Oliver has a no kill rule. We know he’s going to break it at some point, but that’s going to be for whoever puts the mystery person in the grave in a few months. Most likely, that will be Damien Darhk, and the person in the grave will probably be Quentin Lance or Donna Smoak.
1. How Will Felicity’s Dad Fit Into Things?
Felicity’s dad coming into the show changes things quite a bit, and there are a lot of unknowns going forwards now. How much will he be involved? Does he know that it was his own daughter stopping him destroying the city? Will she find out it was her dad trying to destroy the city? Will she let him back into her life? How will Donna react? There’s some great potential here, in particular for some excellent Felicity-centric storylines, and how this plays out next week and going forwards after that is going to be really interesting to see.

Edited by tv echo

Randy Dankievitch's positive review of 412...

Arrow, Ep. 4.12: “Unchained” flips out for guest stars
Randy Dankievitch  February 4, 2016
http://www.popoptiq.com/arrow-ep-4-12/

... Surprisingly, an episode with no less than six notable guest stars turns out to be one of the season’s most rewarding; bucking typical trend with such happenings, “Unchained” doesn’t feel like Arrow is biting off more than it can chew, confidently delivering a number of compelling stories that don’t just illuminate the journey of Oliver Queen. Instead, it delivers a story where characters take their agency back from Green Arrow a bit; if anything, this allows Arrow as a whole to breathe and find its footing with each of its main characters again.
... As a person who has accepted his role as a ‘hero’, it can be hard to let go of those instincts with the people closest to him; and that dichotomy, drawn out in recent episodes with Thea’s relapse and Felicity’s injury, has only exacerbated that dissonance within Oliver. How can he feel like the protector he wants to, if he can’t protect those he loves? After the deaths of his father, Shado, his mother, Sara, Tommy, and all the others he’s lost, you’d think this was a message he’d have figured out already; but this is where the distinction between Arrow and Green Arrow becomes so much clearer, revealing itself to be something of meaning for the series, rather than just another excuse for a fresh costume design and team hideout/operating base.

Let’s be honest, Arrow was kind of a dickhead; Green Arrow is definitively a man of the people, one willing to hear advice, compromise, and fight against his own instincts to define people’s paths for them.
Ultimately, the central plot of “Unchained” is pretty perfunctory, until it’s revealed the Calculator is Felicity’s father; for a minute there, he was headed towards Bug Eyed-Bandit territory from The Flash‘s first season, where a flashy guest star sits in a chair and fights Felicity through computers. Granted, Arrow can make those moments a lot more compelling than The Flash does (staring at computer screens on The Flash is a direct flight to Exposition City), and Felicity’s back and forth with the Calculator – particularly when she calls out his lame code name – gives a bit of spice to otherwise tepid moments.
Nobody saw that girl delivering a pepper and thought hmm, that’s not actually a “meal”?

Forbes reviewer, Erik Kain, has "been pleasantly surprised with Arrow in the second half of season 4"...

'Arrow' Season 4, Episode 12 Review: Unchained And Reunited
Erik Kain  FEB 4, 2016 @ 12:18 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/02/04/arrow-season-4-episode-12-review-unchained-and-reunited/#2926e3082d97

For many, Roy’s return will be a big deal, and in some ways it was a pretty cool return. I liked how he pushed back against Oliver on his tendency to always blame himself for everything. But I can’t help but find him utterly superfluous to the show still. His last exit was perfect, taking the fall for Oliver, taking credit as Arrow. His return feels like a bit of a letdown, though not because it was handled poorly. Just because it doesn’t feel remotely necessary.
(Also, I’m a little tired of seeing the League of Assassins presented as little more than easily dispatched mooks. Aren’t these guys supposed to be stone-cold super-killers? They sure don’t act like it.)
Probably my biggest quibble with an otherwise very strong episode, however, goes back to Thea and her bloodlust. This is a show in which characters regularly kill bad guys. In any given operation, I’m pretty sure Diggle kills like five goons with bullets. The rest of the team, outside of Oliver himself (maybe? I can’t tell anymore) kill routinely. Why is it that Thea can’t just sate her bloodlust through regular operations?

This goes back to one of the central problems with the show, and to a lesser degree with The Flash. What is the moral stance we’re taking on killing? Why is it wrong in some situations and right in others? Why is it that someone like Diggle shoots with impunity and nobody seems to care, but if Thea actually needs to kill in order to survive, it’s such a big deal? The moral line is so blurry at this point, I have a hard time ever accepting it as a compelling internal conflict.
And why didn’t Constantine just heal Thea at the same time as Sara Lance? I don’t understand! They don’t tell us! Also, why don’t they try to take down Darhk using Thea’s awesome ability? Maybe if she actually kills him the bloodlust will be gone for good.

• Love 1

You're welcome!  Just remember that what I quote might not be what you or someone else might quote.  It's no secret that my favorite characters are Felicity, Oliver and Diggle. :)

That works out perfectly for me! :)

• Love 5

More grave speculation from WhatCulture...

Arrow Season 4: Ranking Every Character’s Chance Of Dying

James Hunt   3 Feb 2016

http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-season-4-ranking-every-characters-chance-of-dying.php

9. Felicity (0/10)

8. Diggle (2/10)

7. Curtis (3/10)

6. Laurel (5/10)

5. Samantha (6/10)

4. William (7/10)

3. Thea (8/10)

2. Donna (8/10)

1. Quentin (9/10)

This reminds me of what Dwight Schrute said in the Office:

b187dd8588123dd899420a12afe53ad9.jpg

• Love 19

Emertainment Monthly's usual rave review of an Arrow episode (graded 412 an A-)...

Arrow’ Review: “Unchained”
February 5, 2016 Nora Dominick ’17/
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2016/02/05/arrow-review-unchained/

... . Stephen Amell said it best when he described this episode as “Hardcore Parkour” and that’s exactly what it was. The entire stunt team, led by Curtis Bracconier, brought their A-game and further proved Arrow’s stunt team is one of the best on TV. One moment that stick out in this episode is when Oliver is chasing down Roy through Star City. The jumps off buildings, running and jumping onto moving vehicles are so beautifully synchronized it’s like an elaborate dance. The stunt team continues to bring their A-game and this episode capitalized on their abilities.
Having Roy awaken in the new Arrow Cave is an amazing scene for any long-time Arrow fan. Having him surrounded by Oliver, Felicity, Diggle (David Ramsey) and Laurel (Katie Cassidy) is something truly special. Colton Haynes dominates every single scene he’s part of this week and his interactions with his old teammates are incredible. Emily Bett Rickards and Colton Haynes fall perfectly in sync once again from the first moment Roy spies Felicity. The small moment where the duo exchange a look acknowledging Felicity’s accident says it all. Rickards and Haynes continue to be the best friends on television today and their scenes together are always beautifully acted.
... Kellum and Rickards continue to create one of the best friendships on Arrow and this pep talk solidifies this. Kellum has ascended to one of the best guest stars on Arrow this season and fans are clamoring for him to become a bigger presence. Rickards has the natural ability to click with any actor she works with and that shows in this emotional, heartwarming scene opposite Kellum.
... Holland and Haynes continue to showcase their unmatchable chemistry and deliver one of their best scenes to date...  The writing coupled with Holland’s brilliant acting makes this scene one of the most emotional. Roy replies to Thea by saying, “You know if I could do this all over again, I would do every single one of those things with you.” Haynes delivers the line with such raw emotion that Arrow fans are left in a puddle on the floor. This brilliantly acted scene ends with Thea and Roy exchanging “I love you’s” and it’s perfect. The duo have created one of the best, most heartbreaking relationships on TV and it makes fans miss Haynes even more. We think we speak for every Arrow fan right now when we say, we love you Roy Harper and Thea Queen.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Yeah even if getting Diggle a new mask wasn't in the works they would have had to do something like quick, fast and in a damn hurry. Apparently his mask wasn't made with longevity in mind:

AR412A_0089b.jpg

Seriously the facial portion is already looking beat and banged up and the damn thing is peeling. Worst identity concealment design EVER IMO (it looks so damn cheap its laughable)

Edited by Ann Mack

Craig Wack (Pajiba) and Tatiana Torres discuss this week's shows (Arrow 412 discussion begins at 1:32:48, you can drag the cursor forward and the audio will pick right up) - I've found that they say a lot of things that I agree with (I've transcribed portions below)...

Agents of GEEK Podcast Episode 14
Posted on 02/05/2016
http://agentsofgeekpodcast.com/wordpress/

-- Tatiana wasn't a fan of 412 and had a strong reaction to someone ("she knows and likes") tweeting that it was the best episode of the season.  She thought there was a lot going on and that they wasted the return of Colton Haynes.  And she wondered if "they had a contract with everybody to be brought back every six weeks even though it makes no sense."

-- Craig liked 412 more than Tatiana and said that it was a "comic book thing" to have characters show up out of nowhere.  Tatiana just didn't find all the return appearances "organic".  Craig didn't mind the "journey" but didn't like the "destination".  Craig thought that they "started with a pretty decent season 4 show and then somehow we ended up back in season 3 in the end."

-- They wondered how Nyssa ended up meeting up with that pink-haired girl from Wolverine.

-- They wondered if it was in Colton Haynes' contract that Roy gets tranqued every time he appears in an episode.

-- Tatiana said that Malcolm is very selective with giving out information about the  blood lust.  Craig said that Malcolm suddenly comes up with the information that now Thea will die if she doesn't satisfy her blood lust.

-- Craig noted that, "once again, someone got the drop on Laurel" and someone else had to save her (this time, Roy).  He said that "there's gonna be a time when someone's not going to be there to save Laurel's bacon" and Tatiana replied, "hopefully, it will be soon."

-- Tatiana said that everything happens in the last 5 minutes of the episode.

-- Craig said that they finally got back to "defining [Felicity] outside of the Olicity relationship" and that she's a "functioning, human adult" and "has her thing in her own right" and "it's not defined by her relationship with Oliver."

-- Craig said this about the ending scene when Nyssa tells Oliver that she'll help Thea if he'll kill Malcolm: "So suddenly we're back in the throes of terrible season 3 with Nanda Parbat and the League of Assassins... It ended the episode on a real bummer for me because it was like - you know, we finally kinda got out of that, and really this whole thing with Thea was sorta the last vestige of that, but they had figured out ways around it... But now we're stuck in it... God, this has all the makings of a three-episode arc."  Tatiana said, "I don't know what kind of deal they have with John Barrowman, but I feel like, he's like, 'I want to work, write me something, please.'   And so they have to bring this back because, if not, what else is Merlyn there to do as the new Ra's al Ghul? Not a very good one, that's for sure."

-- Tatiana said that Oliver & Felicity have been "really cute" which just makes her more worried about the limo scene.

-- She noted that we didn't see Detective Lance again, which was sad but good because there were already too many characters.

-- Craig said that introducing Papa Smoak adds another potential person for the grave.

-- Tatiana thought that maybe the flashbacks would be relevant now, but the flashbacks did not feel relevant again and we didn't need them.

-- Craig and Tatiana both noted that when Oliver mentioned his trips to Central City, no one questioned why he needed to make those trips. It's not like he needed to go to Central City for the mayoral race.  And why wasn't Felicity questioning why he was visiting Barry so much? Tatiana: "It's 600 miles away, guys! It's not like he's just going for half an hour. What the f**k?!"  Craig: "And it's not like he's the Flash, who can get over there like, you know -" Tatiana brought up that these are things Oliver's doing with all the "money" he has, so "what is happening?!"  Tatiana added: "And why did no one say, 'oh, that's right, you have been going to Central City a lot, that's weird.'"  Tatiana suggested that Oliver could say, "for business," which is the ultimate cop out.  But Craig questioned, "what business?" since Felicity is the one "who's doing the business".

-- Craig said that he is "not looking forward to this episode next week." Tatiana said, "maybe it's just a giant misdirect."

Edited by tv echo

If you want to say that perhaps the Calculator’s plan the whole time was to merely test Felicity (instead of actually intending to kill thousands of innocents) then this entire episode suddenly seems more interesting.

I was briefly on board that this was the ultimate explanation but if so, why hire goons of his own?  Seems odd that he'd test the whole team. 

Arrow Season 4: 18 WTF Moments From ‘Unchained’
Andrew Pollard   5 Feb 2016
http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-season-4-18-wtf-moments-from-unchained.php

Despite having a so-so villain overseeing this particular Emerald Archer outing, Arrow still managed to deliver an intriguing and interesting episode full of WTF moments...
This was a WTF moment and a half, and it paved the way for what was to come for poor Thea Queen. It also lent itself to Oliver showcasing his pure strength as he found himself having to one-arm catch a totally dead weight Thea as she falls off the rooftop. Obviously all of those salmon ladder sessions must be paying off as Ollie manages to pull up the solid weight of his sister with just one arm.
Surely I wasn’t the only one thinking that a quick called to apparent Ollie BFF John Constantine would solve all of Thea’s problems, right?
Not only does Katana look all kinds of lethal, we got to see her in action here against Nyssa al Ghul in what was a mightily impressive battle sequence as the two tried to best each other with their blade skills. Whilst some long-time DC fans may have felt that this is a dual that Katana should’ve actually won, it was still a great surprise to see Tatsu turn up and to see such a cool fight sequence play out.
Arrow is so often filled with great dialogue, largely coming from the mouth of Emily Bett Rickards’ Felicity Smoak, and there were two brilliant WTF lines in Unchained. It’s a little bit over-the-top to give each line their own entry on this list, meaning they’re both covered here.

First up, there was Felicity (who else?) proudly declaring the uber-geek term of “PWNED” upon besting The Calculator. And secondly, the always dry John Diggle had a great moment as Team Arrow were confronted by the problem of a huge explosion looming. After Roy volunteers to stay behind and take out the nuke with the plan of outrunning the big bang, Diggle casually reminds the recently-returned Harper that just because he’s wearing red doesn’t make him The Flash.
Is a season of Arrow really a season of Arrow if there’s not at least one or two moments in it that proclaim Malcolm Merlyn must die? ... So, with that said, we’re back to the classic plot thread of Merlyn must be killed.

Three If By Space's generally positive review of 412...

Arrow 412 Review – Many Choices and Familiar Faces in “Unchained”
By: Alisha Bjorklund February 4, 2016
http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2016/02/arrow-412-review-many-choices-and-familiar-faces-in-unchained/#.VrXwAPkrLIU

This episode revolved around one big idea: choice. Choices define who a person is and that came into play many times throughout “Unchained.” From Thea to Roy to Felicity to even Oliver, a lot of Team Arrow had to face important choices and deal with the repercussions of their decisions—for better or worse. The episode did a great job showcasing these choices and how they affected not only the individual, but also the team.
With all these choices to talk about, I nearly forgot about our villain! The Calculator and Felicity went head-to-head via hacking and had a few pretty memorable moments—namely, Felicity being sassy toward a cyber-criminal who also happens to be her dad. Oh, yeah, that was revealed too. Seeing him sitting in on her big presentation was quite the shock, but a great way to get him back into Felicity’s public life. He’s a formidable villain in that he operates behind a screen, making him difficult to find and difficult to stop. But Felicity and the team manage to stop him (though not for good if his sudden appearance at Palmer Tech is any indication). He’ll no doubt try to persuade Felicity to his side of the force, but time will tell if he finds out she’s Overwatch.
The MacGuffin! Err, The Lotus. It’s pretty typical in Arrow to have some borderline magical item that will fix the characters’ problems. This time was no exception when Nyssa showed up to tell Oliver that she has exactly what will save his sister . . . but at a price. Although this is not a new tactic, it is causing me to reach a point of exhaustion about it. A magic flower to cure the magic bloodlust caused by a magic hot tub? Yeah, the suspension of disbelief is getting tough to hold onto. Plus, this is all really repetitive from last’s year “save Thea” plotline.
I give this episode 9 out of 10. It was a great episode overall, but those repetitive qualities undercut the overall enjoyment of the episode. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed the introduction of The Calculator/Felicity’s Dad, as well as all of the returning characters that keep popping in and out of the show...
Edited by tv echo

'Arrow' S04E12: What didn't work in 'Unchained'

Laura Hurley

6 Feb 2016

So much truth tea is spilled. I hope both Marc and Wendy read this!

http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-s04e12-what-didn-t-work-unchained

'Arrow' S04E12: What needs to happen next after 'Unchained'

Laura Hurley

6 Feb 2016

http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-s04e12-what-needs-to-happen-next-after-unchained

Edited to add latest article.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 1

So I'm looking at this picture enjoying the vibrancy of the colors and the total messiness of everything. I then realized where KC got her idea of buckles look at Roy's outfit!!! He may have even more than she does.

Roy's buckles are all buckles of holsters for his weapons though. Laurel's just look like she enjoys taking time to suit up.

• Love 6

I could let go of the buckles, really. But those gloves are just so cheap looking. I hate myself for noticing them, because I've gone from Laurel suiting up last season until promo shots one or two episodes ago. And now they are ALL that I can see.

TV Fanatic's round table discussion of 412...

Arrow Round Table: Our Choice is More Roy Harper
Carissa Pavlica at February 8, 2016 7:30 am.
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2016/02/arrow-round-table-our-choice-is-more-roy-harper/

Felicity's Father is The Calculator. React!
Hank
: I thought the guy's introduction was pretty cool, but as Felicity mentioned what a lame code name. Neither Overwatch nor Calculator have that catchy badass comics ring to them. The Arrow writers room needs Cisco's talents stat. I have been waiting to learn the identity of Felicity's dad. He seemed to come out of nowhere. Guess we will have to wait and learn more about him. Is it me, or is the guy not a good fit for Donna? Those flashbacks should prove interesting.

Meg: He is so not how I pictured him! I love that he is a skilled hacker too. I'm really curious to see some of the back story involving him and (hopefully) Goth Felicity.

Jay: It wasn't really shocking. It's interesting that he's a fellow hacker, and clearly a bad guy, so it'll be fun to see that dynamic play between these two characters.

Caralynn: Hank's right, Overwatch and Calculator are both completely awful code names. I feel like I read something about Felicity's father being cast (and possibly mentioning that he was The Calculator) a while back, so I'm not surprised at all. Seemed like they were telegraphing it pretty heavily, what with the "They're both hack-y and quippy!" moments.

Carissa: I agree with Caralynn. I think even if I didn't already know if her dad was coming, they piled it all on a bit thick. There really isn't a need to bash us over the head with information. We can read subtlety. Hopefully there are some nuances to how Felicity lets it sink in going forward.
What did you think of Felicity's return to Palmer Tech and Curtis' power cell?

Hank: I absolutely loved Curtis' stuff this week. His power cell is insane. Why can't we have that technology in real life? Anyway back to Felicity, that first run through was a bit too goofy and felt forced. I'm glad she bounced back though, because I really enjoyed her final presentation. Oliver certainly was proud, but so was The Calculator. Do you think he's made the connection between his daughter and the hacker?

Meg: I really like Curtis, and I hope we continue to get more of him. That invention should put Palmer Tech back on top, that's for sure! And if the Calculator really does take out the power, the power cell will have its time to shine!

Jay: Curtis is so great. He's so funny and lively, it's fun to see in such a dark show like Arrow. As for the power cell, it'll be a matter of time before Darhk gets ahold of it and potentially destroys Star City with it.

Caralynn: Honestly, it was a little cliche for my tastes. As soon as Felicity had the bumbling first run through of the presentation, I knew that she would eventually recover, come into her own, and nail the presentation (which is exactly what happened). Obviously, Felicity needed to have some kind of mini-arc where she was doubting herself in the chair and then came to believe in herself again – but I wish they'd done it in a less obvious way.

Carissa: The conference should have been bigger given the reality of what that power cell does. Sorry, Hank, I don't think we're ever moving in the direction of all the clear plastics TV and movies want us to think are the wave of the future. Nice thought though. All in all, Felicity isn't having any issues being paralyzed at all. She's just accepting it and moving on.

• Love 1

Jessica Breaux's positive review of 412...

Arrow “Unchained” Review (Season 4, Episode 12)
Jessica Breaux  February 6, 2016
http://www.tvequals.com/2016/02/06/arrow-unchained-review-season-4-episode-11/

... The real reason he came after Starling City is so we can get the big reveal that he’s actually Felicity Smoak’s father. I can honestly say I didn’t see that one coming. We’ve heard bits and pieces about Felicity’s parents, but the only thing we know about her dad is that he was some sort of computer genius who abandoned the family when Felicity was a little kid. She didn’t actually seem to have all that much of a relationship with him, and I’m curious as to why he decided to show back up in her life now. Other than the fact he’s obviously decided to become a super villain. I couldn’t really tell whether he knew that Felicity was the one who thwarted his nefarious plot, but it could be interesting to see how this storyline plays out.

Arrow continues to do a pretty decent job of addressing Felicity’s new status as physically handicapped. Thus far, Felicity has had a great deal of support from Oliver and the rest of Team Arrow. They recognize what a wonderful person she is and what an essential part of the team she is. If not for their support, Felicity would definitely be much worse off. However, when Felicity ventured outside the bubble of love Team Arrow put up around her, she got a harsh reminder of how some small-minded individuals view the handicapped. Simply because Felicity was in a wheelchair, the chairman of the board at Palmer Tech viewed her as less capable and less aesthetically pleasing that someone who had fully functioning limbs. He viewed her injury as a weakness thus making Felicity weak. The problem with that kind of thinking is that it’s completely wrong. Felicity’s superpower has always been her brain and her ability to adapt so well under intense pressure. That’s something Curtis reminded her of when she burst into the lab looking for a way to stop The Calculator. Curtis basically told Felicity to stop allowing herself to be defined by what others think of her situation and to be the Felicity he knows she is. It’s difficult to not allow others’ opinions to influence how we think about ourselves, but Felicity seemed to get the message because she totally nailed the presentation. Although it was a bit heavy-handed here, I do appreciate the show continuing to deal with Felicity’s situation. It’s an opportunity to explore more about how the disabled view themselves and how others view them. Plus, Felicity is just awesome and I look forward to her showing more people that being in a wheelchair in no way compromises her status as a superhero.

• Love 1

Roy returns, Thea's sick and The Calculator comes with a big twist on the latest Arrow
Trent Moore  Thu, Feb 04, 2016 7:39am
http://www.blastr.com/2016-2-4/roy-returns-theas-sick-and-calculator-comes-big-twist-latest-arrow

So, Oliver shoots Roy (longtime fans will get a kick out of that detail) to fake his death (again), and he falls right back into step with the gang to help take out this new villain who has used him as a pawn. Along with providing some backup, the episode gave Roy some excellent character moments as he reconnects with the team. It also provided some closure after his rather abrupt departure.
Character actor Tom Amendes popped up as the uber-hacker The Calculator, giving Felicity a run for her money as he uses all that stolen tech Roy was snagging to blow up the grid in Star City in an effort to kill a bunch of people (for reasons?). But, when both he and Felicity used voice masking tools as they smack-talked, you just knew they were setting up some type of reveal for later in the episode.
The League has played, and continues to play, a big part in the show’s mythos. By throwing the mythical Lotus cure into the mix (which, how did Malcolm not already know about this thing, by the way?), it sets up another showdown between Oliver and Malcolm, showing how far these characters have come, while simultaneously putting them back at one another’s throats. Will Malcolm sacrifice himself to save Thea? Will Oliver even fight him, since it’d mean killing Thea’s father? Big questions that will be lingering until next week.
Last but not least, Felicity got a chance to shine. Again. After having some trouble getting used to the logistics of barreling around in a wheelchair, Felicity channels her inner superhero and translates those skills into her Palmer Technologies gig. Her duties as the head of the company are a nice foil to her role as Overwatch (just don’t call her Oracle), and it’s great to see her finally carry that confidence over to the public side.

Her superpower has always been her mind, and that’s a distinction she’s finally embraced wholeheartedly.

• Love 1

TomboyKC is among the fashion blogs included in this article (nice praise for KC's blog, but curiously Arrow is not mentioned)...

Bloggers You Need To Be Following
By Amy Cooper February 8, 2016 by Fashion Editor
http://platform-online.net/2016/02/bloggers-you-need-to-be-following/

TomboyKC is a fashion & lifestyle blog started by Katie Cassidy who you may know from Gossip Girl (she was the slightly psychotic Juliet Sharp), Taken or Monte Carlo and her friend Lynsey Eaton. Their mix of masculine and feminine styles have created a cool sophisticated blog that tailors to the busy young girl.  It features fashion, beauty and lifestyle articles that are chatty and well photographed. A definite read!

It's still early. Maybe there will be another father/daughter poster? Yeah? No? Is anyone buying that?

Ugh. Guess this means no interviews with TA or EBR. They got a big social media boost when Donna was introduced. Felicity was trending for hours; before, during and after the episode. You would think they would try and duplicate that.

I shouldn't be surprised at all, but I'm super disappointed.

I was hoping that there would be calls for interviews with Tom Amandes and/or Emily about this week's episode. It's already 6:30 EST and nada, so I guess not. It's frustrating that Emily's character has this huge life change and yet we haven't heard anything from her. I'd love to know how she feels about the paralysis story line. Pros/cons of it in her opinion. What is it like working with a wheelchair? Has she been practicing her moves? Etc. They managed to pull off this amazing technical production with the 2 Felicitys, which got a lot of critical praise, but except for tweets from the writer and a tweet or two from Marc, no one was talking it up. Such a head-scratcher.

• Love 4

That's because she doesn't have a mask or a costume. Really all the others it's the same stories with them. Fight bad guys and then they talk about it so much. Felicity gets a life change and we can barely see an interview or a new poster.

• Love 2

Chris Hayner tweeted that he's going to interview Katrina Law tomorrow. All due respect to KL, but the last thing I want to hear more about is the LoA storyline.

Felicity's dad finally shows up after being teased as a plot point for 2 years, but we're not going to get to hear from EBR or Tom Amandes? Ok, then.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 22

LOVE what this writeup has to say about Felicity. It's old but good.

WOMAN CRUSH // Felicity Smoak From Arrow

http://thetvsisters.com/2015/01/woman-crush-wednesday-felicity-smoak/

Another thing I love about Felicity is that she’s not afraid to show or even have emotions. The girl cries. She cries a lot. She cries when she’s sad and when she’s frustrated and when she’s worried. I like that she can have tears in her eyes and still whip everyone into shape. She’ll still be at that computer finding a solution or a new plan, she’ll still be calling the men out or demanding they do the right thing. She still fights and survives and deals with the aftermath with tears on her cheeks. It makes her such a real character. Things affect her, and she doesn’t hide that. If anything she recognizes how things affect her, and uses those emotions as motivations to fight stronger and harder.

• Love 8

This article criticizes Arrow's depiction of anarchists...

Op-ed: “Arrow” and Anarchophobia
February 10, 2016  By Kelly Tenny
https://www.newsli.com/2016/02/10/op-ed-arrow-and-anarchophobia/

Why, then, do the writers of “Arrow” feel the need to perpetrate such a hateful distortion of anarchists?

Incidentally, Lonnie Machin is not a character original to the show; he originally appeared in the comics as the positive and heroic vigilante Anarky, created by Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle in 1989. So the show’s portrayal of Machin is a slap in the face not only to anarchists generally but to the character’s creators as well.

The “Arrow” writers’ hostility to anti-authoritarian activists does not end with Machin. Felicity Smoak, one of the show’s main protagonists, has a past as a hacktivist; while she is not portrayed as having been an anarchist, anarchists have been prominent in such hacktivist movements as WikiLeaks and Anonymous, and making government secrets public is something anarchists tend to favor. But in a recent episode, Felicity notes that while she would once have exposed government secrets by posting them on public websites, she now rejects her hacktivist past as the mistake of an angry young woman, and even goes so far as to burn a photograph of her earlier self.
It doesn’t seem to be illegal activity as such that the writers of “Arrow” and “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” oppose; the reformed Felicity works for an illegal vigilante outfit, and Skye’s government employers become a private illegal group in the second season. In abandoning anarchist-flavored hacktivism, Felicity and Skye are embracing not legality but rather secrecy; though outside the state apparatus, they’re as committed as any government agent to seeing themselves as part of an elite that deserves to know truths it cheerfully conceals from the public.

That's a really good interview--interesting questions and thoughtful responses. I love KLaw and Nyssa is the only thing related to the LoA that I don't hate. My ideal scenario is that Nyssa ultimately defeats Malcolm, takes her place at the head of it, and the LoA storyline is resolved, leaving Nyssa free to drop in on the show from time-to-time without things being bogged down by the albatross of MM.

Also, sweet Jesus, Katrina Law is beautiful.

arrow-season-4-katrina-law-03.jpg

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 10

I have a love/hate relationship with Nyssa/KL. Nyssa is awesome, but I hate the LOA mess with a passion. KL is awesome, but I'm frustrated that she is out promoting when I want to hear from EBR/TA. I've been waiting for that storyline since S1 and it's finally here but the show is stuck in S3.

• Love 13

For me, Katrina Law is in the same category as John Barrowman; I love the actors and think they're awesome, but I would be overjoyed to never see their characters again on Arrow. I never understood the appeal of Nyssa, whose introduction involved poisoning her exgirlfriend's sister and kidnapping/threatening to kill her mother to get her to come back to their relationship.

• Love 6

Honestly, I have a huge thing for physically kickass female characters. I gravitate to them like bees to honey, and I tend to excuse a lot for them. (I remember seeing stuff for Legend of the Seeker. I was like "ooohhh, woman with a sword! I am there!") But I admit I'd be a lot happier to have Nyssa by herself without all the LoA baggage. :(

• Love 3

Although Nyssa is totally badass and it is great to see kickass female characters, I find it hard to be sympathetic to Nyssa because she seems to have no qualms in bringing bloodshed to innocent civilians in Star City - this time simply because she wants to be the leader of the league, last time she threatened the city because she wanted to avenge Sara.   

• Love 8

I was ok with Sara being willing to shed the blood of innocents before when she was under the control of her father.  The LoA was all she knew.  She saw the risk of spilling innocent blood as justice.  That's really warped, but she had been from childhood, but now that Original Recipe Ra's is dead, I want her to  be more like the Nyssa that decided to not fight Tatsu to the death but instead decide to reason with her.  

• Love 1