Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Arrow And The Flash May Leave Netflix
By Jack Holt  Posted on January 13, 2016
http://techaeris.com/2016/01/13/cbs-to-possibly-pull-arrow-and-the-flash-off-netflix/

Those of you who have yet to catch up on seasons of Arrow and The Flash on Netflix will have to do so quickly — that is if CBS has its way. According to Business Insider, CBS is planning to pull its CW catalog off Netflix. This will most likely happen when the contract between the two expires, and will also be done to help CBS launch its own streaming service.

The rumor comes after the announcement of the new Star Trek series that will be exclusive through CBS streaming online. This marks the networks’ combined effort to create standalone streaming services. With the contract set to expire in 2016, shows like iZombie, Arrow and The Flash — among others — will likely be pulled....(read more)

2 TV giants are plotting to bypass Netflix
Nathan McAlone Jan. 12, 2016, 12:14 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/cbs-and-time-warner-are-working-to-create-a-cw-streaming-service-2016-1

Edited by tv echo

Stupid question but aren't Flash, iZombie, Arrow, LoT and SPN all WB owned shows?  Would CBS be allowed to pull them off of Netflix and put them on CBS All Access (or whatever their streaming service is called)?

ETA:  Actually reading the articles, I think that first paragraph is misleading.  CBS/TW are talking about going Streaming for CW possibly because of the Tribune Negotiations.  I don't know I think they authors are mixing up the situation a bit but that's just me.

ETAA: We talked before about how maybe the Tribune Negotiation breakdown "leaked" as a strong arm tactic but what if it was reactionary?  The first story to leak was that CBS/TW were looking into creating their own streaming service.  What if that was leaked by CBS/TW to pressure Netflix, Hulu and Tribune into renewal/favorable renewal?  

I just wonder if this is all part of both sides negotiating tactics.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I feel like the CW is gonna survive. It always manages to make it through. It feels like some negotiation hardball is going on.

Oddly, the CW is connected to my market's NBC channel so how that works out I do not know.

All I know if Arrow moves to a streaming network I might have to drop it or wait for DVDs if they still make those. I just don't like streaming TV. I blame my shotty internet and my ridiculous notions that I shouldn't have to pay for TV. Then again if it goes streaming maybe they'll cut the episodes and tighten up the script so it might make for a better show. We definitely could get better love and fight scenes. So 6 of 1 and a half dozen of another at this point.

• Love 1

Stupid question but aren't Flash, iZombie, Arrow, LoT and SPN all WB owned shows?  Would CBS be allowed to pull them off of Netflix and put them on CBS All Access (or whatever their streaming service is called)?

ETA:  Actually reading the articles, I think that first paragraph is misleading.  CBS/TW are talking about going Streaming for CW possibly because of the Tribune Negotiations.  I don't know I think they authors are mixing up the situation a bit but that's just me.

ETAA: We talked before about how maybe the Tribune Negotiation breakdown "leaked" as a strong arm tactic but what if it was reactionary?  The first story to leak was that CBS/TW were looking into creating their own streaming service.  What if that was leaked by CBS/TW to pressure Netflix, Hulu and Tribune into renewal/favorable renewal?  

I just wonder if this is all part of both sides negotiating tactics.

There isn't a single show on the CW that would justify the cost of subscribing to a standalone streaming service.   I'd sooner stop watching all CW shows.   

By the same token, I've been watching Star Trek for more than 40 years, but even the prospect of a new series wouldn't be compelling enough to get me to sign up for CBS's streaming service.

Everybody's getting too greedy.

• Love 3

New extended Trailer for the next episode is up. Just shows a few extra scenes of Oliver getting his ass kicked (surprised :O -_-)

Also, normally Oliver looks intimidating when hes interrogating someone because no matter his emotions he always did it calm and collected.

But now he just looks plain silly and not intimidating at all for some reason. Also where is his voice changer?

Also, normally Oliver looks intimidating when hes interrogating someone because no matter his emotions he always did it calm and collected.

But now he just looks plain silly and not intimidating at all for some reason. Also where is his voice changer?

/Always/ calm and collected? I don't think so.

• Love 2

Laura Hurley on what makes a "strong female character"...

runnerone24 asks:
You might have an interesting viewpoint on something I've noticed lately. Many female actors (TV & film) say how lucky they are to play a "strong female character" and they inevitably follow that by saying that there aren't many "strong female characters." It's a great generalization to say that every actress says this, but I do hear it a lot. It seems like female roles are better (at least in "quality" TV & films), but people still say they're lacking. Do you see many "weak" female roles today?

Jan 16, 2016 4:17 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/137433254658/you-might-have-an-interesting-viewpoint-on

...  The two characters that I like to use as examples of strong female characters within the Flarrow-verse are Sara Lance and Felicity Smoak.

Sara has been through hell and back time and time again and she can totally kick ass, but she’s also incredibly human and has emotional vulnerabilities and is an accumulation of all of her experiences. She’s a strong character because there’s so much to her beyond her bo staff.

Felicity is scared a lot of the time. Her physical abilities don’t extend very far beyond defending herself. She grew up without a father. Yet Felicity pushes through her fears and stays in the superhero biz despite not being able to physically kick ass and has jumped into the deep end of a relationship with a man with enough emotional baggage to fill a commercial jet who quite literally seems to need her. Felicity is an accumulation of all of her choices, and she’s a strong character because of them.

• Love 9

Following up on the above discussion...

Netflix's growth elicits fear in Hollywood
Yvonne Villarreal and Meg James  January 18, 2016
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-netflix-hollywood-20160118-story.html

The small CW television network, owned by CBS and Warner Bros., lost money for years until 2011 when it struck a four-year, $1-billion deal to provide its programming, including "Jane the Virgin" and "Arrow," to Netflix. The network finally turned a profit. On Friday, Fox announced that it was reviving its canceled drama "Prison Break" because audiences were devouring old episodes on Netflix
  • Love 2

Arrow-related sections from Den of Geek interview with BR (anything spoilery was redacted)...

Legends of Tomorrow: Brandon Routh Interview
Fred Topel 1/18/2016 at 8:04AM
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/legends-of-tomorrow/252056/legends-of-tomorrow-brandon-routh-interview

Did Ray’s absence on Arrow coincide with shooting the beginning of Legends of Tomorrow?
Yes. In mostly challenging ways. A challenge to schedule all of that and shoot both shows concurrently, but we did it.

Did going back and forth like that also make the tonal differences more jarring?
They’re not really jarring because Ray is pretty much Ray wherever he goes.
What was nice was to be able to do a couple of final scenes with Emily and close up the relationship with Felicity a little bit. It was really refreshing to have those scenes because they’re longer scenes without things crashing and exploding and having to save the world. We’re actually able to have a nice long conversation, so it was nice to have a couple days of shooting in the mix of all the craziness and explosion of Legends.
Is Palmer Technologies left in good hands?
Well, we see in Arrow it’s kind of not great as far as its treasury is concerned. I think Ray definitely left it in good hands with Felicity and she’ll figure out whatever needs to be figured out to get it up and running.

But that’s her problem on Arrow?
Yeah, he’s left. That world is all left behind.

Colin Donnell talks about Arrow during his Chicaco Med interview

TVLINE | Might we see you as Arrow‘s Tommy on Legends of Tomorrow since it’s time traveling into the past?
I’m all down for it. I would be so happy to be back on Arrow or on Legends of Tomorrow, in whatever capacity. There’s got to be something where an evil Tommy pops up. I want him to be totally different than what he was before.

TVLINE | So Earth-Two Tommy on The Flash?
Yes! That would be amazing! We need to talk to [executive producers] Marc [Guggenheim] and Andrew [Kreisberg]. How do we make this happen? I need a day off from Med first… I love those guys. I’ve always said, any time they’ve got stuff for me, if it works out with the schedule, I would love to come back, and even more so now. I haven’t felt like I’ve left the family in any way.

‘Arrow’: Colin Donnell On Returning As Tommy — ‘Chicago’ Med Spoilers | TVLine
  • Love 3

According to the date, this article is new but I swear it sounds awfully familiar.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/arrow-how-a-death-set-season-4-up-for-failure.html/?ref=YF&ref=yfp

So that’s the first issue: The show set up a major character death, with no plan in place for how they’d actually get there. The second problem concerns the impossible situation the whole graveyard scene presents. If Felicity ends up being the one who dies, then they’ll have spent a whole season playing coy about something we all saw a mile away. If it’s someone else (or more likely, no one at all), then we have yet another case of Arrow playing the bait-and-switch game. Whatever the answer ends up being, it sets the stage for a predictable end to the season, which in and of itself would be a tragedy given Neal McDonough’s terrific work as our main villain.

Now if Arrow ends up delivering a third outcome we’re not expecting, then we’ll happily eat crow and bow down a feat of superior storytelling. Past behaviors have taught us this isn’t likely though; what we’re more likely to see is much, much worse. Either a fan-favorite character in Felicity Smoak is gone from the show forever, or Arrow has once again taken away all sense of consequence by having her survive. Neither option is good, and it doesn’t give us much hope for the second half of Season 4.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I agree that either outcome is disappointing, but I don't get why if they don't kill Felicity all sense of consequence is taken away? I mean, why, of all people, she should be the one dying to not consider the whole grave thing a failure? 

Dear writer of the article quoted above,

Arrow set up a flash forward to a mysterious grave six months from early October, landing it somewhere in April.

Felicity was shot on Christmas.

Best regards,

Basic Math

• Love 16

Was it referred to the immediate aftermath of the MSF? Haha, thought it was about the whole season, and stating that, at the end, the death should be Felicity. I'll read the whole article next time!

Edited by looptab

I agree that either outcome is disappointing, but I don't get why if they don't kill Felicity all sense of consequence is taken away? I mean, why, of all people, she should be the one dying to not consider the whole grave thing a failure?

I think it's a republished article because I swear I read the same thing right after 409.

And yes, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Felicity dying in 409 and that's "the death".

• Love 1

That article is ridiculous. So they can have no other character suffer consequences but Oliver and now Felicity. If she "somehow survives" they are saying they don't suffer consequences. What a load of crock. This is the same show that never gives any consequences to LL.

Edited by EmilyBettFan

From CBR's interview with MG (no spoilers)...

On why this season of "Arrow" introduced occult and supernatural elements:
Each season has sort of required of us to come up with a theme or come up with a central concept behind it. In Season Two we sort introduced the idea of metahumans, in Season Three it was the League of Assassins. We were looking for something for Season Four and I think, you know, we always get to a point in the previous season where we start talking about the next season. We got to a point in Season Three and we were talking about the lazarus pit and we were talking about R'as al Ghul and there's this idea of mysticism that we really haven't a) explored on the show apart from the lazarus pit but b) fits very much into the voice of the show, and the take and tone of the show. If you go back and look at like, I think it's episode 3x15, Oliver basically says, "I've seen some stuff you can't explain." That was us sort of -- we love to plant a flag and say, "Look for that next season." And that's when we knew what we were gonna do in Season Four.

GUGGENHEIM CALLS "LEGENDS OF TOMORROW" A 'LOVE LETTER TO THE DCU,' DEFINES 'MYSTIC' "ARROW" S4
Posted: 22 hours ago
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/guggenheim-calls-legends-of-tomorrow-a-love-letter-to-the-dcu-defines-mystic-arrow-s4

Edited by tv echo

Since clarification was requested, your Arrow Mod Squad has discussed and here are your answers.

The following are not spoilers and should be posted and discussed here in the News and Media About Arrow thread.

• Official Publicity Stills
  • Episode Descriptions/Press Releases
  • And everything you have been posting here that is not in the Spoiler category below

The following items are considered spoilers and should be posted in the Spoilers Only thread and discussed in the Spoiler Discussion thread.

• Casting notices
  • Comic previews
  • Dialogue teases
  • Sneak Peeks
  • Anything else you are currently posting there that is not in the above list.
  • Love 3

If only they would stick with Malcolm being a bad guy, which is how he works best. It doesn't mean he can't be funny or even right some times, just that his motivation is always clearly bad without trying to convince the viewers that his actions are fueled by love for anyone but himself. Pull the other one, why doncha?

• Love 3

More grave speculation - this time from a guy at DC Comics' website (perhaps not surprising, given the source, this guy believes that Laurel is the least likely to die)...

Who's In the Box?: Unearthing Arrow's Grave
By Tim BeedleWednesday, January 20th, 2016
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/01/20/whos-in-the-box-unearthing-arrows-grave

This season has seen Laurel Dinah Lance really step up into her role as Black Canary, but she’s still arguably the least trained member of Team Arrow. She’s certainly not as strong a fighter as her sister, who was killed last season (and then resurrected, but that’s another story and another show). If Sara Lance wasn’t safe, how safe could Laurel be?

Well, we’re going to go out on a limb and say very safe. For starters, poor Detective Lance has been through enough. He’s already lost one daughter twice, and like with Ollie and his sister, there’s only so much one person can take. We can’t see him being subjected to the loss of his other daughter. Nor can we see the writers completely shutting the door on a future relationship between Green Arrow and Black Canary, which as fans of the comic can tell you, is one of the DC Universe’s most beloved and consistent couples.

Odds: 5%

Edited by tv echo

Robert Dougherty's usual pessimistic opinion of what's going to happen going forward (mostly speculation, but I'll add a spoiler warning anyway - so don't read if you don't want even a hint of what may happen)...

What 'Arrow' Should But Won't Do In Second Half Of Season Four
By Robert Dougherty Jan 20, 2016 01:30 PM
http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/what-arrow-should-wont-do-second-half-season-four

Edited by tv echo

It doesn't help that he gave everyone really low percentages. It's like he didn't even want to commit.

And his "because comics" reasoning is exactly one of the biggest reasons I want Laurel to die.

Me too. My apathy for Laurel has evolved to dislike because everything about her begins and ends with "because comics". I am so so sick of "because comics" trumping common sense and a good narrative on the show.

And how "consistent" can GA and BC be if they a) haven't been together in years in the comics and b) weren't together at all the last time they were onscreen in Smallville?

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 10

Me too. My apathy for Laurel has evolved to dislike because everything about her begins and ends with "because comics". I am so so sick of "because comics" trumping common sense and a good narrative on the show.

And how "consistent" can GA and BC be if they a) haven't been together in years in the comics and b) weren't together at all the last time they were onscreen in Smallville?

The dude literally said "Yeah she's pretty useless because other characters are better at what she does... But of course she can't die because comics!" 

Ugh

• Love 1

The dude literally said "Yeah she's pretty useless because other characters are better at what she does... But of course she can't die because comics!"

Ugh

To be fair, that's pretty much what some of us here have said too. Except I'm resigned and resentful about it, while the author thinks that's a good thing, that she's just sticking around for the sake of... just existing, I guess. Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5

To be fair, that's pretty much what some of us here have said too. Except I'm resigned and resentful about it, while the author thinks that's a good thing

Oh no, I'm not bitter at the guy... Because even I thought that at times... But the fact that she's entirely useless and still remains to be the safest "because comics" is infuriating to me. 

• Love 1

Oh no, I'm not bitter at the guy... Because even I thought that at times... But the fact that she's entirely useless and still remains to be the safest "because comics" is infuriating to me.

I haven't seen a single compelling argument for LL still being on the show after season 2 that doesn't boil down to "because comics". And that's when I really started to resent her.
  • Love 5

They have been together for in Injustice and she even had his child. So there has always been some form of media where they are together even if it isn't in the main DC titles.

That's true enough. They are usually paired up in other media JLU and Young Justice come to mind. But those are portraying a much different Dinah than Arrow, Smallville and the actual comics are doing.

• Love 1

That's true enough. They are usually paired up in other media JLU and Young Justice come to mind. But those are portraying a much different Dinah than Arrow, Smallville and the actual comics are doing.

They are also portraying a much different Oliver then in Arrow. But that's nothing new.