Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Shocker - a positive review of S3 by Project-Nerd.com (bonus points for the Star Wars reference)...

‘Arrow: Season 3’ Blu-ray Review
Brandon Yotter  September 18, 2015
http://project-nerd.com/2015/09/18/arrow-season-3-blu-ray-review/

Most of its success was due to the darker tones and evolving characters. The series is at its best when it is treated like a soap opera with huge cliffhangers and ulterior motives for many of the characters. This continued into season two, which had more action and higher stakes, and it reached a peak in season three.
I really like this season. While it isn’t as strong all-around as the second season, I think many of the people who didn’t like it were being unreasonably harsh. In many ways it reminds me of the original Star Wars trilogy. The first one was a little slow to start but did a great job introducing characters and building a world people loved. The second one was made very well and became pretty dark by the end. The third was not quite as good as the second but still a lot of fun and better than most things I could be watching.
The biggest criticisms of this season: Green Arrow had become too much like Batman (yet even when Arrow was created in 1941, he was made to mirror Batman and feed from his success); and yes, at times this adaptation can be a little more direct; and, yes, the fact is that its companion show, Flash–such a light and fun show–makes Arrow look even darker than before.

However, I would argue this is what the producers were going for. In the universe DC has created on the CW, Green Arrow and Flash are their Batman and Superman. They show the dual sides of life as a superhero. They have different agendas and thought processes that make them the perfect pair. The Yin and Yang.

Edited by tv echo

She's an actress, I'd imagine that she's very proud that a group gAve her a reward for convincingly playing her role. It's not a Emmy or anything but the recognition must be nice considering she's often overlooked.

• Love 4

I was trying to place the interview but all I got was between S3 and S4. I'm surprised she wasn't asked even asked about S4 at all. I wonder if because she and her PR team arranged it, she wasn't allowed to talk about the future season?

The award mention didn't surprise me because the interview was her selling herself. That's not a slam. That's the industry. 

Did she do these smaller interviews in previous seasons?

Well I'm sure Stephen's Christmas just got merrier! HE WON!!

Celebrity Moment of the Year

SS_08232015dg_1355.jpg

WINNER: Stephen Amell dives onto Stardust at SummerSlam

OTHER NOMINEES:

The cast of “Entourage” introduces Zack Ryder (Raw, May 25)
Kevin Owens powerbombs Machine Gun Kelly off the stage (Raw, June 15)
Jon Stewart gets involved in John Cena’s match at SummerSlam
Wayne Rooney slaps King Barrett on Raw (Raw, Nov. 9)

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2015-12-21/2015-slammy-award-winners-28378657/page-5

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 2

It's a great photo shoot and interview (I like how she described people in their 20s v 30s).

I can't link on mobile but they also wrote a special intro to the issue talking about this being their 100th and choosing EBR for the cover.

It's a great photo shoot and interview (I like how she described people in their 20s v 30s).

I can't link on mobile but they also wrote a special intro to the issue talking about this being their 100th and choosing EBR for the cover.

That was my favorite part of the interview :) I also like how she states the differences between herself and Felicity. It's always nice to hear her perspective. I for one never really thought that Felicity would be one to think about marriage when she was a kid... But it fits considering how much this season and last season showed that Felicity is the kind of woman who wants/needs companionship. 

Here's the special intro :)

CWzq3JKWUAAQsH1.jpg

• Love 4

It's a really good interview. Even though I know she's young, it just hit me that she got this adult role at 21. When really, usually she would still be playing a teenager now four years in.

What's Bello like usually? They really should pay more attention to polishing their articles before they go into press. Plus, it bothers me for some reason that they call them over the knee boots in the third picture posted. They obviously do not go over the knees.

ETA: A few more pics:

tumblr_nzqvrxHe7E1tv0s9co1_500.jpg

tumblr_nzqvrxHe7E1tv0s9co2_500.jpg

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 4

I also like how she states the differences between herself and Felicity. It's always nice to hear her perspective. I for one never really thought that Felicity would be one to think about marriage when she was a kid... But it fits considering how much this season and last season showed that Felicity is the kind of woman who wants/needs companionship. 

Responding in the Felicity thread--I hadn't thought about her thinking about marriage either until now. 

Posting this here because it's more review than recognition...

The best shows to binge on over Christmas
2 HOURS AGO
https://www.siliconrepublic.com/life/2015/12/23/binge-watch-tv-shows

Arrow
From its first episode, Arrow did something impressive. It made someone in the DC universe – someone other than Supes and the Bat – quite nearly as exciting as Marvel.

Arrow tells the story of the Green Arrow, Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell), who, after being presumed dead for five years, returns to Starling City with a mission. Armed with a mysterious past, a notebook belonging to his dead father and a whole host of Katniss Everdeen-style skills, Queen aims to take down the crooks and villains who have ‘failed this city’.

Now in its fourth season, the mission has changed somewhat, as has its central character. Initially as gloomy and dark as anyone on The CW ever is, Ollie has mellowed in recent seasons and the overall tone has become lighter.

Though that doesn’t mean the show has lost its drama and tension, as a particularly devastating mid-season finale has just demonstrated. But even that finale keeps you guessing, as Arrow has always been master of the misdirect.

Watch at your leisure, to save you from the trauma of having to keep asking yourself, “They wouldn’t do that… Would they?!” until the end of January.

Edited by tv echo

Our Wish List Revealed: 18 Things We Need to See Happen on TV in 2016!
by TV Scoop Team Wed, Dec 23, 2015 11:00 AM
http://www.eonline.com/uk/news/723325/our-wish-list-revealed-18-things-we-need-to-see-happen-on-tv-in-2016

For The Flash and Arrow to cut the B.S.: So the midseason finale of The Flash helped with this (at least when it came to Iris and Joe with the Wally West bombshell), but I really, really, REALLY need superhero shows to stop relying on secrets. They don't save people from anything and it's a lazy storytelling device. Plus, The Flash and Arrow are too good (and too far into their runs now) to rely on  that at this point. Say it with me now: Secrets are no fun unless you share with everyone.
For someone to die already: I'm so sick of TV shows faking me out by pretending to kill major characters. I just want one of them to actually die for once. I want to know what it's like to feel suspense again, to be totally shocked by a TV death I could never have seen coming. Just give me one new Will Gardner and I'll be happy (I mean very very sad, but happy that I'm sad) all year long (as long as it's not Felicity).
  • Love 4

ITA (fingers crossed)...

Arrow Season 4, will Olicity have a happy ending?
Published 17 hours ago by Callum H.
http://www.melty.com/arrow-season-4-will-olicity-have-a-happy-ending-a2790.html

Let's face it, Felicity and Oliver are perfect for each other. He's had a lot of relationships, but Felicity is the one person whom he truly trusts and loves, who he'd never cheat on, and she's the only person who's had his back through thick and thin, even when he became Ra's al Ghul and looked completely lost. Even back when Ollie was a murderer back in Season 1 and Felicity was shocked to discover what he was doing, she didn't betray him to the police but instead helped him, realizing that there were good intentions behind what he was doing. From providing intelligence in the Arrow base to going out in the field with Ollie, she's always going to be the last person standing there beside him, and that's why we think Oliver and Felicity are in it for the long haul. The vigilante life is a hard life that will inevitably tear them apart, but they'll always find their way back to each other. In the mid-season finale, Felicity told Oliver: "I chose this life and I chose you," and it serves as a reminder that Arrow is not just about Oliver Queen, it's about the development of his relationship with Felicity from start to finish, and we're certain that the writers will be seeing it through to the end. Olicity will have a happy ending, it just won't be coming anytime soon....
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

The Top 10 Shows Of 2015, According To Laura  (Hurley)

Arrow comes in at number 4

_1450957171.jpg

I have to include Arrow on this list, because when it’s good, it’s super good. Season 4 has been pretty stellar with an overall balance of plot and character that has minimized the melodrama that somewhat crippled the writing in Season 3. Thea's induction into Team Arrow as Speedy has been the most organic since Sara’s as Black Canary 1.0 back in Season 2. Plus, the new and improved Arrow cave has been a largely brood-free zone and the Oliver/Felicity romance has been handled with a soft enough touch that it manages to be totally swoon-worthy without overwhelming the plot. Season 4 hasn’t been perfect, but it has made Arrow fun to watch again after the depressing Season 3.

https://t.co/9ZS59wVwO8

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I live in my state's capital city and, while I get the CW, the feed is actually from a station located a good 60+ miles away that, for some reason, broadcasts everything in 4:3 (full screen). I can watch the eps live, but I totally miss out on some stuff thanks to awkward cropping. Last year they broadcast in 16:9 but the resolution was really poor, making it even more impossible to see what was going on in a lot of the fight scenes.

Judging by my twitter feed though, there seems seem to be quite a lot of overseas fans who don't want to wait for new eps to be broadcast in their locations. Either because they are excited to see new eps and/or they want to be able to watch without being spoiled first.

Edited by GirlvsTV

Friends in Asia "download" the eps a few hours after they air here in the U.S. They don't want to wait because the broadcast is about a week delayed and they want to avoid spoilers. They also want to talk about the episodes on social media. Also, having the ep means they can watch anytime, and as a friend pointed out, they can easily rewind to "OMG" scenes and fast-forward past unwanted characters :P Can't do that if you watch the broadcast.

WHICH OF THESE NETWORK TV SCI-FI/FANTASY DUOS IS YOUR FAVORITE?

http://blog.peopleschoice.com/2015/12/28/favorite-network-tv-sci-fi-fantasy-duo-of-2015/

Arrow, Oliver & Felicity

Dip one toe into the shipper waters of Arrow, and you’ll get blown away by the sheer social media power of Olicity aka Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards). This pair of superheroes not only has a great professional partnership (saving the city every week is tough work!), but they also have one of the most amazing romances on TV right now. We dare you not to swoon at every flirty moment.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4

What I love is that all of it is still pure speculation, even the paralyzed thing. We have no confirmation on any of those choices, nor do we have any hints directly relating towards any of this, just emotional rationalization. Sure, 

the image of the wheelchair on set

kind of hints one way over another, but the show, the EPs, and the cast have not given me any indication that they would do any of these choices.

Using comic book logic is one thing, but jumping on these unsupported theories (she lost the baby! She's Oracle now! Amnesia plot!) is starting to irritate me a bit. People can speculate all they want, and I love speculation, even if they are off-the-wall wrong, but phrasing them as if they are 100% going to happen or as an "of course they would do that" kind of places too much weight on pure speculation.   

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 10