Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Man oh MAN would that have been an incredible turn of events. It definitely would have upped the "no one is safe" factor of Tommy's death x10. Especially if:

-- Oliver had gotten to Laurel the same time he got to Tommy,

-- Tommy had gotten to Laurel just after she died in Oliver's arms, and

-- Malcolm Merlyn had actually died on that rooftop when Oliver left him to go find Laurel in the Glades.

Lance would have hated the Hood for killing his only remaining (so he thought) daughter, Tommy could have gone full on evil from the trauma of losing both Laurel and Malcolm due to Oliver's action/inaction, Oliver could have still made the "no kill" rule out of guilt of destroying his friend's life, when Sara showed up that could have been a redemptive moment for both Lance and Oliver, the GA/BC stuff would have been more, epic, and untainted.... *Sigh* So many good things could have happened.

Does anyone know if someone has done a fanfic in this AU?  I'll take my answer in the fic thread (I'd have quoted it there, but I'm not sure how to do quotes in different threads).

Does anyone know if someone has done a fanfic in this AU?  I'll take my answer in the fic thread (I'd have quoted it there, but I'm not sure how to do quotes in different threads).

I haven't read a fic with that exact scenario, but there is one where Laurel dies during the Undertaking instead of Tommy, and then Tommy, Oliver, and Felicity end up in a polyamorous relationship.

• Love 2

I haven't read a fic with that exact scenario, but there is one where Laurel dies during the Undertaking instead of Tommy, and then Tommy, Oliver, and Felicity end up in a polyamorous relationship.

Smoaking Billionaires *heart eyes*, it's my favorite semi-canon ship.

• Love 2

6 Reasons Why Killing Laurel Lance Was the Right Move for Arrow

[Contributor: Marilyn] April 8, 2016

http://www.itsjustaboutwrite.com/2016/04/6-reasons-why-killing-laurel-lance-was.html

1. It's a bold move to make.

2. It trims excess from the show.

3. It gives Quentin Lance some meaty story.

4. It honors Laurel’s arc as a hero.

5. It shows more of Oliver’s evolution.

6. The fandom will (hopefully) be better for it.

Olicer, Felicity and Diggle have all fought for justice.
  • Love 1

Hey, don't worry about me - I enjoy collecting and reading news about Arrow.  It's like my current hobby.  (I just have to rein myself in sometimes.)  Honestly, I'd rather do that than venture into Reddit or some other places like some of you brave souls do.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

The network, etc., aren't stupid, and they're in this to make money. They also have access to data that many of us on this website would absolutely SLOBBER to see, e.g., detailed Netflix data, including, I have heard, what scenes/episodes are FFd and what scenes/episodes are replayed. So, I feel entirely confident that O/F is not unpopular, bc the decisionmakers are in this to make money/be successful, and they have real reason to know, more or less, what storylines and relationships will make that happen. To me the simple fact that they are sticking with O/F is excellent evidence that O/F is popular.

Oh Lord, if that's true I am almost embarrassed at how many Olicity scenes I have rewatched! In fact my son shares my Netflix account and always teases me about seeing the "would you like to continue watching Arrow" message when he turns it on. I have started to play some random movie before I sign off so I can hide my shame!

• Love 16

Early media reporting from CinemaCon in Las Vegas this week...

CinemaCon awards honor array of stars
April 14, 2016  By NORM CLARKE LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/columns-blogs/norm-clarke/cinemacon-awards-honor-array-stars

Held at Caesars Palace over four days, the awards show capped the official convention of The National Association of Theatre Owners.
Other honorees: Male Star of Tomorrow, Stephen Amell; Female Star of Tomorrow, Gina Rodriguez; Producer of the Year, Jason Blum; Comedy Stars of the Year, Zac Efron, Anna Kendrick and Adam DeVine; Breakthrough Director of the Year, Nate Parker, “The Birth of a Nation”; Rising Star of the Year, Jack Huston; CinemaCon Excellence in Acting Award, Bryce Dallas Howard; and CinemaCon Vanguard Award, Keanu Reeves.

CinemaCon Paramount Presentation: ‘Ben-Hur,’ ‘Baywatch,’ and Turtles 0
BY REBECCA MURRAY ON APRIL 12, 2016
http://www.showbizjunkies.com/news/paramount-2016-cinemacon-presentation/

Kicking off the annual gathering of the National Association of Theatre Owners in Las Vegas, Paramount Pictures began their presentation by confirming Transformers 5, 6, and 7 are heading to theaters in June 2017, June 2018, and June 2019. Then after calling the new Turtles film – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows – explosive, Paramount Pictures’ Vice-Chairman Rob Moore brought Megan Fox and Will Arnett to the stage at the Coliseum in Caesars Palace to promote the film. .... That was followed by a lengthy collection of clips that focused on the action and showed off more of Arrow star Stephen Amell’s character, Casey Jones.
  • Love 2

Oh Lord, if that's true I am almost embarrassed at how many Olicity scenes I have rewatched! In fact my son shares my Netflix account and always teases me about seeing the "would you like to continue watching Arrow" message when he turns it on. I have started to play some random movie before I sign off so I can hide my shame!

When I got my friend to watch Arrow, I gave him my Netflix password. He kept saying the show would never start at the beginning but at weird, random places in the middle or end. It took me a really long time to figure out it was because I was rewatching Olicity scenes. Oops!

• Love 9

The gifsets, above, perfectly illustrate the idea of a smile that doesn't reach the eyes, vs. a real smile. I mean, he's trying to smile after KC's awful joke, but it looks like a toothy grimace. But when EBR makes her "CRUSH IT" joke, his whole face kind of crinkles up. It's adorable.

• Love 2

One would think if he had such a high opinion on her he would have had her on his show more than once. Or at least write her in his part of the crossover this year. Instead he seemed to always choose other Arrow characters..curious, LOL

Heck, I bet if AK wanted her, Guggie would've handed her over as a full-time player on a silver platter in Flash S1.

So yeah, AK's gushing is pretty disingenuous.

• Love 3

U#$$%^&*() WAT??  "Truest Hero of Them All"

Poor Diggle : Going off to war and being an ACTUAL GD HERO in his "real" life. NOT A TRU  HERO

Poor Thea: Getting dosed by her dad into murdering Sara but overcoming that to learn to fight and dying and overcoming insanity to help save people in the end. NOT A TRU HERO

Poor Roy: Just a kid off the street with who was a thief but turned his life around to save people. He didn't have ask for his mask FIRST either . NOT A TRU HERO

Poor Felicity :  Just learning how to cope with a new life and helping people with tech. Staying behind to make sure TEAM ARROW could get ot the Earthquake machine whilst the walls crumble NOT A TRU HERO

I think I'm gonna throw up.  WTF is Kreisberg smoking? Seriously. He didn't become the Arrow until s2. Wow. Terrible. How does he it get something like that so completely wrong? LOLOL

See also, Fuck off, Kreisberg.  All this time I lamented his leaving. I think I was wrong to lament that.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 8

See I really don't care about what he said about Laurel. It was a nice laugh..

What really pisses me off about what he said was this:

When we met Oliver, he was already The Arrow

WRONG. When we met Oliver, he wasn't the Arrow, he was the Hood. Oliver was by no means a hero when we first saw him. But we SAW him grow into that role throughout the first two seasons. It's so sad that the EP has to make stuff up to prop up a failed character.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 17

Honestly AK, didn't even use it as an opportunity to promote KC appearance on the Flash or talk about what death means in a Time-Traveller's multi-verse. The worst non-answer and also takes away from other Arrow characters.

• Love 8

Yeah, I don't care about what he said either. What was he supposed to say? Of course he (and i bet everyone of them at some point) will sing her praises. It's just that, not only is he incorrect in saying that she is the only one we got to see become a hero* - we didn't actually see that, either, haha.

On second thought, I don't even think he meant that. He just had to find something positive to say about the character, and it ended up being the same shit they have repeated for two years - she hit rock bottom and then picked herself up and became a "hero". Nothing new, really. No effort, either.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 3
How will Laurel’s death affect the team on Arrow? — Vik

This answer will be long, but it may help those who are still grieving Laurel’s death. “Right now, they’re being a little too cautious, which is more of what’s tripping them up in the wake of Laurel’s death,” EP Andrew Kreisberg says. “They’re all still reeling. It was a big blow to the audience, it was a big blow to us as writers and producers, and it’s certainly a big blow to the characters. Laurel’s been with the show since the beginning. In some ways, she was the truest hero of them all, because we really got to see her become a hero. When we met Oliver, he was already the Arrow, he was already skilled and had gone through his baptism of fire. We watched as Laurel was a crusading attorney, then slowly fell apart and rebuild herself into this hero. To see her fall is sad and tragic and painful. It’s a reminder that yes they’re all dressed up in Halloween costumes and masks, but there are real consequences to what they’re doing and their lives are constantly in danger; at any moment anyone of them can lose it. That’s really what the team is dealing with in the last six episodes of the season.”

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif

Yeah, I don't care about what he said either. What was he supposed to say? Of course he (and i bet everyone of them at some point) will sing her praises. It's just that, not only is he incorrect in saying that she is the only one we got to see become a hero - we didn't actually see that, either, haha.

Laurel’s been with the show since the beginning. In some ways, she was the truest hero of them all, because we really got to see her become a hero.

There is no logic in this comment. Not really. We saw Oliver become a hero we saw ALL OF THEM become heroes. Sigh.

I care because it's an EP dissing all the other characters on Arrow needlessly

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Honestly AK, didn't even use it as an opportunity to promote KC appearance on the Flash or talk about what death means in a Time-Traveller's multi-verse. The worst non-answer and also takes away from other Arrow characters.

To be fair, the question was bout how Laurel's death would affect the Arrow characters. I'm kind of comforted that he didn't take that chance to talk about her appearance on Flash because it means it will absolutely have nothing to do with Arrow.

There is no logic in this comment. Not really. We saw Oliver become a hero we saw ALL OF THEM become heroes. Sigh.

I care because it's an EP dissing all the other characters on Arrow needlessly

It's AK. Since moving on to Flash and Supergirl, when has he ever let an opportunity to belittle Oliver/GA pass him by? 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2

So does that mean if i chain up my sister like and animal and let her go on a killing spree, that AK will consider me the truest of heroes also?

Only if you drag her dead body through the streets after she dies and then later digging up her corpse and putting it in magical waters to bring her back to life ...

• Love 2

I love that she's a true hero not because of anything she actually did, but because of how long she was around. Arrow folks stay not giving a damn about her til the bitter end.

Laurel Lance : The Black Cockroach

It's AK. Since moving on to Flash and Supergirl, when has he ever let an opportunity to belittle Oliver/GA pass him by?

It doesn't matter. It's disrespectful to the damn mothership that got his ass on the "big" network. It's a dick move

It doesn't matter. It's disrespectful to the damn mothership that got his ass on the "big" network. It's a dick move

I know, and I agree. I'm just pointing out that he's always been saying stuff like that. 

Edited by lemotomato

So does that mean if i chain up my sister like and animal and let her go on a killing spree, that AK will consider me the truest of heroes also?

You also have to use your dead sister's voice to trick your father into thinking she's still alive. That's what real heroes do. 

• Love 6

MG told us that Anarky was going to be the first villain we saw grow into a villain, forgetting that a) we saw Slade become a villain and b) Anarky was a bad guy when we met him. 

Do they even watch their own show?

• Love 12

WRONG. When we met Oliver, he wasn't the Arrow, he was the Hood. Oliver was by no means a hero when we first saw him. But we SAW him grow into that role throughout the first two seasons. It's so sad that the EP has to make stuff up to prop up a failed character.

He's not even making it up, he's just singling her out and praising her for what pretty much every other "hero" on this show has done. Went through terrible, unspeakable shit, suited up anyway, haha. 

• Love 2

He's not even making it up, he's just singling her out and praising her for what pretty much every other "hero" on this show has done. Went through terrible, unspeakable shit, suited up anyway, haha. 

I mean I think he did make the stuff up about how we met Oliver as the Arrow and not the Hood :p That's just pure false info to single out a character that isn't so special. :p But yeah, he definitely had to forget about every other character's arcs to single Laurel out... 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

Laurel put on the Halloween costume and called herself a hero. How was that showing us her rise to being a hero? She struggled for a bit than magically became a martial artist that could defeat LOA members in about a year. It was basically having the right name that made her a hero, not anything we saw on screen. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

I mean I think he did make the stuff up about how we met Oliver as the Arrow and not the Hood :p That's just pure false info to single out a character that isn't so special. :p But yeah, he definitely had to forget about every other character's arcs to single Laurel out... 

Oh, true. I just chalked that up to probably not remembering because the continuity on these shows is shit, and he doesn't seem to like Oliver that much anyway.

Edited by apinknightmare

Oh, true. I just chalked that up to probably not remembering because the continuity on these shows is shit, and he doesn't seem to like Oliver that much anyway.

I really don't' care if he blows smoke up Laurel's ass and praises her ad nauseum, but at least don't make stuff up and forget every other character's arcs in order to do it :p But yeah, continuity is kind of crappy... But It's not something I truly mind considering I watched Glee before.

I'd like to get some of what AK is smoking. Truest hero? LOL. Sure, Jan.

What a nice parting gift for her fans though. Empty, meaningless words. That's...something, I guess?

In addition to Oliver's transition from the Hood to Green Arrow, thanks to the flashbacks--the only time that phrase has been used in connection with Arrow--we have seen his crucible in great detail. We are getting Oliver's hero's journey as well as Felicity's hero's journey.  I think Thea's journey is a little behind and Digg might always have been a hero with no journey needed.  Ugh.

Kreisberg is viewed as the Laurel/Black Canary advocate, and this interview certainly reinforces that position.

• Love 3

If another one of the team died instead of her he would have called him/her the truest hero of them all. It's easy to speak after a character/actor is gone but when it comes to facts he could have given her the spotlight using her on The Flash but he never cared. More than the Laurel/Black Canary advocate he seems simply fake to me, lol. He is willing to praise her but when it was time to take action...*crickets*

• Love 6

If another one of the team died instead of her he would have called him/her the truest hero of them all. It's easy to speak after a character/actor is gone but when it comes to facts he could have given her the spotlight using her on The Flash but he never cared. More than the Laurel/Black Canary advocate he seems simply fake to me, lol. He is willing to praise her but when it was time to take action...*crickets*

I don't think he should really call anyone the Truest Hero Of Them All even when trying to praise the outgoing actor/character. I mean how hard would it have been for him to just say...."We loved Laurel'sjourney. She became a true hero blaahhh blahhh blahh"

Don't compare them. It's stupid.

• Love 3

In AK's defense.... the man's brain power amounts to him rewriting the plotline to "Run Spot Run" every week.... did we expect him to have some in-depth and accurate thoughts on complex characters & hero journeys? He probably just picked up some beat-up child's fairy tale saw the words fairest of them all and thought he would be clever.

Honestly, what he says does not surprise me and frankly I'm just gonna let it go ~ no sense in stressing over stupid. :)

• Love 6

In AK's defense.... the man's brain power amounts to him rewriting the plotline to "Run Spot Run" every week....

Ouch.

The opening of that column is a Flash question.  My guess is that Abrams contacted AK to answer that and while he was on the line, asked him the Arrow question about reactions to Laurel's death  AK, not having a clue what's going on on Arrow these days, obfuscated.

• Love 2

Yah it's just too bad CW doesn't get more viewers and probably don't want to lose what few they've got. Show's getting old and viewers will probably start dropping off anyway.  And look at how low all the other shows on CW are so probably want to try to keep some shows' like Arrow numbers at least halfway decent. Oh, well we'll just have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed

Except the CW doesn't look solely at ratings for their renewal decisions. Also i think all the shows on the CW were renewed for next season. 

Arrow is only heading to the 5th season. Not sure that qualifies as OLD.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

I've only quoted the Arrow part...

The Rules of How and How Not to Kill Off TV Characters
By Tim Surette  April 16, 2016
http://www.tv.com/shows/sleepy-hollow/community/post/tv-character-deaths-arrow-the-americans-empire-the-100-sleepy-hollow-the-walking-dead-146059209547/

I'll leave the who and why questions of deaths among character demographics (female, minority, and LGTBQ characters appeared to bear the brunt of the reaper's scythe) to smarter people than me to dissect, but I'll take a look at the "how" of it all, particularly since the recent rash of passings featured several deaths that didn't sit well with me while a few felt just right. Morbid, I know, but death is a huge part of television and there are right ways to do it and wrong ways to do it. 
Speaking of characters whose deaths were written in when it was time, did you hear how Arrow's Laurel (Katie Cassidy) went out? The details of the death aren't all that important (she was stabbed in the abdomen by Damien Darhk), but the set up was Arrow's fourth season began with a flash-forward to Oliver standing before a grave, brooding as Oliver is wont to do, and swearing revenge on whoever took this mysterious loved one away from him. But here's the thing: The writers didn't even know who was in the grave at the time. They created a plot point, and then retrofitted their story as they went along. For a character death, especially one as major as Laurel's, this is risky behavior, like blindly driving around a corner at 90 miles per hour. Why any showrunner or writers would set themselves up for this is beyond me. What if they changed their mind? What if they can't make the story work? While viewers were trying (futilely) to figure out who was in the grave, the writers were, too. Thankfully, Laurel's death wasn't too forced and will serve a purpose moving forward as the ripples of her demise rattle Team Arrow.

But to start with the grave and work backward is a stunt death, and haven't we moved beyond the days of stunt deaths that only work in primetime soaps of days past? (Or Empire, as was the case with the killings of Camille and Mimi last week.) However, that wasn't even the worst stunt death of last week. Hello, The Walking Dead....

Edited by tv echo

I honestly don't think they retrofitted their story. The signs pointing to Laurel didn't just appear in her final episodes. They knew who they wanted it to be and wrote her story accordingly. They had their short list, but it seems clear to me.

• Love 16

I honestly don't think they retrofitted their story. The signs pointing to Laurel didn't just appear in her final episodes. They knew who they wanted it to be and wrote her story accordingly. They had their short list, but it seems clear to me.

I think they claimed they didn't know but, her death was set up in 401. They also beat that drum several times throughout the season. They threw Felicity in there as an obvious red herring but, it seems obvious (now) that it was always Laurel.

• Love 9