Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I'm fine with friends and family memebers who knew him before the Gambit calling him that (althoguh I wouldn't mind if they stopped, thereby acknowledging how much he's changed), but that's where I draw the line.

• Love 2

I'm fine with friends and family memebers who knew him before the Gambit calling him that (althoguh I wouldn't mind if they stopped, thereby acknowledging how much he's changed), but that's where I draw the line.

I'm only really okay with Thea calling him that. Younger siblings' prerogative. I think it would be nice, and an acknowledgment of how much Oliver/their relationship has changed (recent events notwithstanding), for Laurel to start calling him Oliver.

• Love 3

People have nicknames. Ollie is A LOT better then being called Speedy majority of your life.

Except that Speedy wasn't in the running for the douchiest douchbag who's ever douched. And I find it weird for people to adopt a diminitive nickname for a 30-year-old Oliver. Yes, people have nicknames, but they usually acquire this type of nicknames earlier on and the people they meet later in life don't just adopt these things out of nowhere. It's not like Oliver introduced himself as Ollie to Barry.

I'm only really okay with Thea calling him that. Younger siblings' prerogative. I think it would be nice, and an acknowledgment of how much Oliver/their relationship has changed (recent events notwithstanding), for Laurel to start calling him Oliver.

I put so much on Laurel that I'm willing to let this one slide. Especially since until Barry's weirdness, there was such a clear line in the sand. Thea, Tommy, Laurel, Sara - Ollie. Everybody else - Oliver. But yes, having Laurel switch to Oliver would be nice for the reasons you mention.
  • Love 1

And another thing I can honestly say Smallville did better.  I really think Ollie's GA suit is soooo much better than Oliver's GA suit.

That being said, I prefer the Arrow 1.0 the best, including the face paint

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

I put so much on Laurel that I'm willing to let this one slide. Especially since until Barry's weirdness, there was such a clear line in the sand. Thea, Tommy, Laurel, Sara - Ollie. Everybody else - Oliver. But yes, having Laurel switch to Oliver would be nice for the reasons you mention.

Totally forgot about Sara. I am not irritated with Laurel (or Sara) for calling him that. I would just appreciate it if they stopped. I nearly always hate diminutive nicknames (Johnny, Jeffy, Billy, Ollie) for adults, and this is no exception. He's 30; it's just ridiculous at this point.

• Love 1

Except that Speedy wasn't in the running for the douchiest douchbag who's ever douched. And I find it weird for people to adopt a diminitive nickname for a 30-year-old Oliver. Yes, people have nicknames, but they usually acquire this type of nicknames earlier on and the people they meet later in life don't just adopt these things out of nowhere. It's not like Oliver introduced himself as Ollie to Barry.

While I, myself am the type of person who calls someone by the name I met them by and not really into nicknames, I know plenty of people who like to do the whole "call a person by their nickname" even though they've only known them for a hot minute. That hug obviously made Barry feel some kind of way.

All billionaires in the Smallville universe wear white suits at some point. Ollie wore it twice, although the second time, it wasn't his fault. Someone else dressed him up in the white suit and then buried him alive.

• Love 3

I really don't understand why reviewers insist on referring to him as "Ollie" there is absolutely nothing cute about calling a grown man this. Thank goodness Felicity and Diggle don't. I was pissed that Barry called him Ollie too.

Taking to Relationship thread. 

I was confused as to WHY Barry called him Ollie. Has he heard it around? Did he just assume Oliver would be OK with that shortname?

BA calling him it was weird because OQ never introduced or told BA ti call him Ollie, so it did feel a little out of the blue. For me it just felt like the writers were comic fanboying/girling via BA.

Ollie from people who knew him as Ollie doesn't bother me, since it was his nickname. Post island everyone should call him Oliver unless there is a conversation or event that lends itself to a nickname.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

Don't know how accurate it is but Screenrant.com has quoted that SA is under contract until 2019, which would be end of s7. Sort feels like a good time to end the show. Although I'm in a very bitter place with the show right now, so I'm not sure I even want to stick around that long for it. But, I'm sure I'll get over my bitterness and be okay with another 3 seasons of this roller-coaster.

http://screenrant.com/arrow-stephen-amell-contract-2019/

• Love 2

Okay it's one thing to have Stephen make a cameo on SPN but join as a cast member? No, that's crazy talk. LOL

Good grief.

I wouldn't mind if the Winchester Brothers became rotating cast members on ARROW. Then I could watch Jensen Ackles again, its the supernatural elements that keep me from watching Supernatural.

That being said, I seriously would put money on Supernatural lasting longer as a show than ARROW. Supernatural seems to be the energizer bunny of shows. Even if CW ceases to exist, SPN could find a home on a cable network or streaming provider. I can't see any network or streaming provider picking up ARROW.

• Love 2

I wouldn't mind if the Winchester Brothers became rotating cast members on ARROW. Then I could watch Jensen Ackles again, its the supernatural elements that keep me from watching Supernatural.

That being said, I seriously would put money on Supernatural lasting longer as a show than ARROW. Supernatural seems to be the energizer bunny of shows. Even if CW ceases to exist, SPN could find a home on a cable network or streaming provider. I can't see any network or streaming provider picking up ARROW.

I can see SPN lasting maybe two more seasons.  At the most they could go to 15. But it's really all up to Jensen and Jared at this point. I know they want a spinoff but it's gonna have to be the right characters with the right situation ( We shall not speak of that Episode That Shall Not Be Named that should have been a TVD spinoff not SPN)

I can make a case for the Winchesters showing up in Star City for supernatural reasons rather than Oliver showing up randomly wherever the Winchesters might be but he shouldn't be able to find the Bunker.

Although I still like SA's scenario where Oliver is working in a bar and just quietly brings the boy beers and walks away.

Edited by catrox14

There have been actual, serious rumors that he would leave the show he starred in to be a secondary character on a show with lower ratings? Sorry, but what?

I think a lot of that comes from the bromance between SA and JP.  I think both are constantly being asked about appearing on each other's shows and people even try to make up some shit that Jensen is jealous of their friendship, like LOL WHAT? Jared and Jensen are practically joined at the hip so it's all crazy rumors. 

I love how the article goes straight from speculating about a potential guest stint to leaving his own show because of it. Do they have other amusing articles such as this one?

Going back reviewing some old articles. I love all the shade Emily directed toward the writers. She is an actress who knows and understands her character. Unfortunately, the writers sacrificed that for plot points in S3. I'm glad she didn't tow the show line, smile, and say she was happy with the direction they took her character in S3. I love that she loves and knows her character so well. You go Emily!!!

http://io9.gizmodo.com/emily-bett-rickards-is-sad-that-felicitys-been-crying-s-1717791827

Thought this article was rather interesting!

http://io9.gizmodo.com/7-reasons-why-it-sucks-to-be-a-superhero-girlfriend-1750687718

• Love 1

The above io9 article, titled "7 Reasons It Sucks to Be a Superhero Girlfriend", makes some good points, but I also disagree with some points - or rather, I consider them more failures that need to be corrected in today's superhero stories.

Also, I previously posted a similar sentiment to the following in the Relationships thread:

4. The Course of True Love Never Can Run Smooth
It takes infinite skill to make a superhero’s relationship any more than just an infinite cycle of cry-n-fight, fight-n-cry. It’s a shame, because we know long-term partnerships can work—we see them when it comes to the friends and allies of the superheroes. Two superhero friends can go through eight seasons and only get more comfortable and familiar with each other, but when you’re a girlfriend, every bump in the road is disaster.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

New weekly blog column by Laura Hurley, starting Jan. 22nd...

Ladies Kicking Ass On Comic TV: A Weekly Column
Laura Hurley January 8, 2016
http://lauraahurley.wix.com/writing#!Ladies-Kicking-Ass-On-Comic-TV-A-Weekly-Column/cour/56906f9b0cf29139532217fb

Starting on Friday, January 22, I'll be beginning a weekly blog column here about the ladies of comic television who don't get nearly as much attention as they deserve for their ass-kicking.

The ladies of comic television are not without their legions of fans, but they are characters that often go underrepresented in the media as anything other than either caricatures who look great in skintight leather or damsels in distress waiting for rescue. This column will look at how they contribute to their shows as more than stereotypes.

One thing that many seem to forget when it comes to comic television is that there are plenty of ways to kick ass, and not all of them will always include any actual kicking. Peggy Carter of Marvel's Agent Carter uses her wits and her training to save the day even when her male peers hold her gender against her. Felicity Smoak uses her tech savvy to become the most irreplacable member of her team on Arrow. Kara Danvers uses superpowers for good to do what she can to protect the people of National City. Skills, savvy, and superpowers are only three of the ways that female characters kick ass on comic television. I plan on looking at all of them....

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Some good points, some bad points, and some debatable points - btw, this guy does not appear to be a Felicity fan ("For Felicity, she’s gone from quirky sidekick to nagging girlfriend."), and he also disses Anarky, Laurel, etc....

Arrow: 10 Things Season 4 Has Got Horribly Wrong (So Far)
Connor Briggs-Morris   9 Jan 2016
http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-10-things-season-4-has-got-horribly-wrong-so-far.php

Edited by tv echo

From TV Fanatic...

Arrow at Midseason: Most Shocking Moment, Biggest Let Down & More!
Carissa Pavlica at January 7, 2016 8:05 pm
http://www.tvfanatic.com/slideshows/arrow-at-midseason-most-shocking-moment-biggest-let-down-and-mor/

If you don't want to read the article, here are the nutshell results:

1. Most Compelling Overarching Season Mystery - Who's in the grave?
2. Best Guest Star - Matt Ryan as John Constantine
3. Most Heinous Villain - Damian Darhk (duh)
4. Biggest Let Down - two Canaries and Speedy fighting together
5. Most Unnecessary Story Change - Oliver's son is William, not Connor
6. Most Dramatic Scene - Oliver and Quentin confrontation in 404
7. Most Shocking Moment - everyone dies in 408 (at least initially)
8. Most Heroes in One Room - 408 (duh)
9. Best Love Story - Oliver & Felicity (yep, from TV Fanatic)
10. Best New Couple - Donna & Quentin
11. Biggest Tease - Felicity is shot!
12. Best Use of a Heroic Move - Laurel uses Canary Cry to free Felicity
13. Most Significant Career Change - Oliver decides to run for Mayor
14. Best Green Arrow Stand-In - Malcolm impersonates the GA
15. Most Heavy Handed Callback - OTA having cocktails

Edited by tv echo

New interview with Brandon Routh included this Emily mention...

‘HAD LOT OF FUN ON SETS'
Sunday, 10 January 2016 
http://www.dailypioneer.com/show-time/had-lot-of-fun-on-sets.html

The best part for me, most of the time, is working on a scene that has humour in it. Coming to a set and working with an actor who’s willing to play and go back and forth a little bit, and make magic happen is great with me – especially if a scene can come off the page in a different way than is expected. That’s what I got to do pretty much every day with Emily Bett Rickards, who plays Felicity. Almost every scene of the show that featured the two of us together, we went at them and had so much fun. I’m going to miss that energy. Hopefully on Legends there will be someone with a similar energy that Ray can tap into and find that again.
  • Love 1

TV Underdogs: Will ‘Arrow’ season 4 give more love to Laurel Lance?

Why she’s an underdog – For one, she certainly started out that way. She had to learn to go from someone being attacked in her apartment several times a season into someone nobody would ever want to mess with. She’s gone through addiction, disapproval, and rejection and has become a formidable force on the other side of it. The show has worked hard over the past year and a half to make her into a strong character, and she’s every bit of a hero now as anyone else on the team. What better definition of an underdog is there?

http://cartermatt.com/191187/tv-underdogs-will-arrow-season-4-give-more-love-to-laurel-lance/

Katie Cassidy also landed at #6 on Maxims "THE 10 GORGEOUS LADIES BRINGING LIFE TO TV IN 2016"

http://www.maxim.com/women/gorgeous-women-on-tv-in-2016-1#&gid=ci01e2021ad0019512&pid=hotjantv_katiecassidy_sljpg

Edited by Primal Slayer

Why we don't see much of LL anymore is because other characters deserve their own arcs. LL has had so many personal arcs that it makes sense to me why she's in the background for once. And I will never understand why Olicity having screen time has anything to do with LL considering their screen time is usually limited to less than 5 minutes of an episode and usually in the 2-3 minute range. It's on par with what they had in S1-S2.

• Love 4

Interesting that the article doesn't talk about WHY LL should get more screentime. She doesn't have a relationship with the title character aside from ex-girlfriend and second to last member to join his team. Her role in the main character's hero journey ended after season 1. Her character seems to be a void of inspiration for the writers. KC's portrayal doesn't generate much interest or buzz from the majority of the media or fandom.

The only reason LL is even still on the show is because comics. She already gets 3-4 episodes a season dedicated to her own story arc, which is more than what the other supporting characters get. Her screentime is more than enough, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 16