Type keyword(s) to search

What You Want to Happen: You're the Coders

A place to talk about things you'd love to see happen in the next season.  Not necessarily real speculation, but your wishes.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _

I would love to see Root and Shaw spun off into their own show.  I have a complicated relationship with these 2 characters.  I don't like what they've done to the team/relationship dynamic we had, but I have grown to like them as characters in general.  And I do like when they are with each other.  So I would actually watch that spinoff, but could maybe get some of the old relationship dynamic back.

I would also love to see the return of some of the semi-recurring characters like Leon or Zoe.  Again - no more than one or two episodes, but I liked that we saw them a couple of times.

• Love 1
(edited)

I kind of like that the show has evolved. The old dynamic had the potential to grow stale and I feel like it was on the verge of that. I think the original intention with Root and Shaw was for them to be like Finch and Reese in the early days of the show: partners with secrets/baggage, distrustful of one another. It didn't quite work out that way because A) Root and Shaw have more extreme characteristics than their male counterparts and B) the actresses had different chemistry with each other, which the writers saw and altered course accordingly.

So now it is what is and I like it. I like a show that's not afraid to shake up the status quo, it's one of the things I liked about Fringe.

Edited by kariyaki

I disagree with the assertion that we needed to add Root and Shaw to shake things up.  Relationships evolve and change and grow.  There were many ways to not maintain the status quo that didn't involve them.  They did that with Elias and Stanton and Snow and Maam - all semi-recurring characters that added lots to the show and changed and evolved the story line.  But that's not really what this topic is for so I'll expand further on that in another one at some point.

Given your preferences, what would you like to see happen? 

• Love 1

I would like Root gone.   She is a crazy person who cares nothing about the work of the team, it's all about her relationship to the Machine.   And then she is the one who ends up saving everyone?   No thank you.

I was perfectly happy with the core 4 with occasional appearances by Zoe when a female special ops person was needed.

• Love 4

Where to go next year.... Good Question

1. Separate lives; we'll see them isolated from each other, with intercommunications by some ...interesting... means, I suspect.
  2. <snark>Will they be forced to move somewhere way far away.... like Queens or Washington Heights? What about all the toys in John's closet? {What will the next tenant think?}
  3. Root still has conversations with the Machine...and knows much about Control. I at least want her to stay in the picture.
  4. Harold's deep past may well come up. Pre-MIT, what & where & who was he?
  5. Will Lionel have time to go back to chasing women?
  6. Shaw will have a hard time not getting bored.

It's a bit early, I suppose to be getting a wish list for next season, as this one isn't half over yet.  So, I'll stick with this one.  What I want to see for the second half...

Elias survives to see another season and does not betray Team Machine. (I know that he's a bad, bad man.  Still love Elias.) Also, he must kill Dominic in some incredibly clever way.  Also, Bruce survives and stays loyal. If Elias goes, there won't be too many recurring (non government/CIA) characters left, outside of Leon and Zoe.  

He still has that extra missile/bazooka/whatever it was weapon, doesn't he? It may be the Chekhov's gun for this season.

Speaking of Dominic, wouldn't mind him finding Finch before Elias takes him out.  I'm ok with Link taking him out instead of Elias.

Nobody on Team Machine gets killed/captured.  I know, it is almost a given that we'll lose someone this season, but it's a bit of a puzzle.  Reese and Finch are the leads, so I'm taking them off the plate. Fusco is needed for police help and info (and he adds so much to the show).   Sameen is needed because Reese can't be everywhere.  Root is perhaps the most expendable, now that Finch is apparently talking to the Machine, but hey, he can't be everywhere either. Root is apparently doing a lot of the Machine's behind the scenes work.

I want Greer to realize that he has made a big, big mistake.  I'm assuming that Martine will take him out at some point, but that is rather predictable, so perhaps TPTB will go with another scenario.

I want some more scenes of the Machine fighting back.  Nothing over the top, but something on top of the virus that has hopefully already been passed on.

Not a big fan of Control, but ok with her showing up again.

Would love to see some dialog between the Machine and Harold.   What is their tone with each other?

We've had several numbers that ended up getting Harold his new subway digs and a way to communicate.  Would like another seemingly normal case to hand TM a big tool for their arsenal.

No one must hurt Bear. I'm feeling hopeful on this last one, as one of the show runners said in an interview that only Bear was safe this season.  But they could have been faking us out.

• Love 1

I do want Greer to die, but not yet--I want a return of him as a somewhat threatening villain first. He's been pretty lame so far this season, so I want him to regain some of his edge again before he goes. I can't decide if I want him to die still loyal to Samaritan, though, or whether I want him to have a moment where he realizes the magnitude of his mistakes. The former might be more true to character, but the latter would of course be more satisfying.

Definitely want Link to take Dominic out (with Elias' help) and either become Elias' #2 guy or forge some sort of cease-fire treaty with Elias. Dominic bores me, but Link is more interesting (and the actor has more charisma imo).

No one on Team Machine to die! I know more deaths are likely inevitable (though I live in hope), but imo most of the characters still have a lot of story left to tell, Finch and Root especially.

I want to see Finch go seriously dark gray and have to be reeled back by The Machine (and Bear, of course). That would just be so poetic.

Definitely more Control and the ISA--very curious about their new world order under Samaritan.

I want Team Machine to be more proactive. I would like them to actively attack Samaritan, to sabotage certain actions, to subvert Samaritan's underlings, to be the cyber Resistance. I want Harold & Co. to make their presence known to Samaritan and then safely run back undiscovered to the subway hideaway. Ultimately, there will have to be the Final Battle of Good and Evil, but that will be the end of the show. I can't see them going back to just saving the irrelevant  POIs.

Definitely want Link to take Dominic out (with Elias' help) and either become Elias' #2 guy or forge some sort of cease-fire treaty with Elias.

I really want to see this. Then Link and Elias can join forces with Team Machine against Samaritan.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 1
I want Team Machine to be more proactive. I would like them to actively attack Samaritan, to sabotage certain actions, to subvert Samaritan's underlings, to be the cyber Resistance.

Yes.  I mean, I'm sure things are obviously going on behind the scenes, but it would be nice if the show would actually let us see what actions are being taken.  Is TM recruiting like Samaritan?  I'm sure that there's some nervous AI researchers out there that would be willing to join.

I really want to see this. Then Link and Elias can join forces with Team Machine against Samaritan.

That would be really interesting, though I'm not sure I can envision Elias taking on a man who killed his previous boss as his number 2.

But that point reminds me--I want Elias at some point to learn about the Machine/Samaritan war.  He may know that "things are different now", but he has no real conception of what TM is facing.

But that point reminds me--I want Elias at some point to learn about the Machine/Samaritan war.  He may know that "things are different now", but he has no real conception of what TM is facing.

I'm not sure I do, mainly because as a criminal mastermind, Elias will have to try and figure out how to turn it to his benefit.  Of course, maybe that is what S5 will be - Elias and company - former allies fighting for control of the Machine?  If Elias works too closely with TM this year, he will end up knowing or guessing an awful lot.

ETA: Honestly though, I'm so very tired of Samaritan. It was an interesting idea very tediously executed.

Edited by tessaray
  • Love 2

I want to see some signs that the Machine has a snowball's chance to beat Samaritan.  The more powerful they make it, the more I distrust the possibility of a logical resolution to the situation.  

Although I wouldn't mind the last episode closing out a la Battlestar Galactica (the camera focusing in on all the cute robot toys) - with someone booting up an old laptop with some interesting code on the screen... :-)

I honestly think that the hacked laptop that Finch tinkered with in Hong Kong is going to be the secret weapon they'll trot out when things look bleakest to turn the tables.

Things I'd like to see:

1. A quick resolution to the Brotherhood storyline, since I find that plot boring.
  2. Elias continuing to be awesome, but hopefully in a compressed 2 episode arc so we can move on
  3. More Root/Shaw, because I love them.
  4. No major team deaths, because I had enough of that with Carter
  5. Samaritan weakened, but not totally eliminated as a threat. I like the idea of dueling AIs, but I agree with people that right now Samartian feels so overpowered that I don't see a way for our heroes to possibly win.
  • Love 5

If I'm going to keep watching this show, I need more Reese. One could play a drinking game while counting his appearances on the show and not get completely drunk. It's ridiculous. And to think I was complaining about a lack of JC in season 3.

Come on show, give me a reason not to just go buy When the Game Stands Tall on Blu-Ray.

I broached this in a different topic, but I'll say it here now.  I want Root to meet Elias.  I want Elias to be fully plugged into the war between Samaritan and The Machine.  Hell, I want Carl Elias to become The Machine's consigliere in that war.  The Machine and Samaritan are both children of civilization.  Elias, as he notes earlier, is "something... older."

• Love 2

Just think of all the hilarious, creative nicknames Fusco would come up with! "Cocoa Puffs" remains my personal favorite to this day, though "Lucy and Ethel" is a close second....

It'll be funny right up to the point where Root says something like, "We need a distraction.  You having a heart attack will do nicely." *Root injects Fusco with something that makes him sieze up and fall down* "Don't worry, Lionel, the brain can go for a few minutes without noticeable damage.  Longer in your case.  Be back soon..."  And then it'll be hilarious.

My wishes?  I wish I had back the show I signed on for, the one I got all my friends watching from the get-go in season 1.  The biggest draw for me originally was the casting of Michael Emerson, and secondly Jim Caviezel.  The show's season 1 premise was beyond my hopeful expectations.  I loved the bromance with Finch and Reese.  Loved Finch being the inscrutable giant-brained bazillionaire mastermind behind everything except generating the irrelevant numbers.  I loved how Finch could unravel the most complex machinations of nefarious villains, government entities and evil corporations.  Then Finch would know just how to tap ever-so-gently on a vulnerable spot that would leave them penniless or undone.  I loved how Reese, the ninja-like muscleman was actually the human interface, the one who got in the trenches with both perpetrator and prey, got his hands dirty and showed the big heart and too many feels underlying the batman persona.  I loved how Reese spent his off-time trying to decode the true identity of his benefactor, and all the glimpses we got into the origins and nature of the man of many bird species. 

I loved that we got BAMF Detective Jocelyn Carter and her hapless, often befuddled sidekick, Lionel Fusco, as the legitimate investigative and law enforcement arm of the Finch-Reese dynamic duo.  I loved the unfolding of those two characters - both Jocelyn's evolving into shades of gray for the greater good, and Fusco's redemption gradually revealing him as a loyal, smart, and funny part of the team.  As much as anything, I loved that they were *secondary* characters that didn't take anything away from my primary interest in the show:  Finch and Reese.

I'm not terribly fond of what's become of *my* show.  Finch and Reese are often sidelined in favor of plots involving Root and/or Shaw.  I actively dislike the Root character and would like her to die.  I'm fairly disinterested in the Shaw character, there's really no "there" there.  I would perhaps tolerate Shaw better if she had a less involved role on the show, certainly a smaller role than Fusco, who's earned his spot. 

I greatly resent the fact that Root has nearly subsumed the position that Finch once occupied.  Whereas Finch was the geek genius who had to figure out everything through his sheer brain power,  The Machine figures out everything of importance now, and has Root issuing commands as the new de facto boss of Team Machine.  I also hate that Root's position has completely destroyed the once-promising plotline of Finch slowly revealing the way he taught HIS machine to have a form of morality, and how HIS machine still often betrayed its underlying loyalty to its creator. 

I could go on...and on.  But I won't.  I will probably finish out this season (though I never watch it live anymore), but it may lose its place on my DVR as a season pass next season.  Where I once had several friends (in RL) who enjoyed chatting with me about the latest episodes, I am now the only one of my circle who is still watching Person of Interest. 

• Love 3

After tonight's episode, I just want everyone to live. Reese, Finch, Bear, Shaw, Root, and Fusco, and the Machine fight the forces of evil, together.

Oh, and that blond lady assassin can die already.

I don't think I'm asking for much.

• Love 3

I want Shaw to LIVE! A broken-hearted Root would not be a pleasant thing.

I want Shaw to be gone but not necessarily dead to see Root and Reese rip through Decima like vengeful chainsaws.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1

I want Shaw to be gone but not necessarily dead to see Root and Reese rip through Decima like vengeful chainsaws.

Yeah, now that I've pondered it some, it'll leave Amy with some good stuff to play as Root's searching for/avenging Shaw. So I do look forward to seeing how it plays out in the coming episodes. I will miss not having Root and Shaw interacting, though. It's gonna be a long two years without Shaw...

• Love 2

What are the odds that the NORTHERN LIGHTS people/Control come to Shaw's rescue, squirreling her away to safety where she can recuperate?  Then when Sarah is ready she can come out of nowhere to save Team Machine in their time of need.

• Love 1

Yeah I could buy that, with what his name from Honour Among Thieves (the guy who Shaw trained and who let her escape the vault).

Or what about ROBO-SHAW - Martine takes Shaw back to Greer, and they begin a lengthy process to turn her into an Agent of Samaritan by the way of cybernetic implants and brainwashing.  Shaw is now apparently fully under control of Samaritan when Team Machine encounter her in the future, but seeing Root again sparks something deep inside Shaw and she must fight her conditioning and break free of Samaritan's grasp.  Sarah Shahi has talked in the past about wanting to go fully out there with her character - shaving her head on camera, getting a robotic arm, joining up with Samaritan.  I think that would be amazing.

I'm already one foot out the door with the show, and I don't really have a strong attachment to Shaw, but I will be pissed if they kill her off and keep Root(ugh) of all people.

• Love 1

So are they going to bring in another highly attractive non-caucasian female badass to supplement the team?  And if so, will there be a vocal minority of the fanbase who will viciously despise her for not being the last highly attractive non-caucasian female badass who was on the team, only to fall in love with her asskickery just in time for her to be violently killed off/written out two seasons after her introduction?

I kid, I kid.  But seriously Parminder Nagra got seriously underused and wasted in The Blacklist.

I do hope we see more of Ashur though, even if the main emotional link he has with the rest of the team is out of commission (on that note, please get back in fighting shape ASAP Ms. Shahi!)

• Love 4

Since they've shown Control in the previews, I figure the resolution of the Shaw situation will be Control taking a critically injured Shaw into custody and saying something like "Don't worry about her, Miss May (Root's alias when they last met).  Just like your machine guards the thing I love most in the world, I'll guard what you love most in the world."

• Love 2

What I'd like to see is a reveal that The Machine has had hundreds if not thousands of covert agents around the world undermining Decima and Samaritan and that it's not just Team Machine literally going up against the entire world. Team Machine's victory against Samaritan and dismantling of Decima would require one hell of an epic asspull to make any sense whatsoever otherwise, and I honestly can't think of any reason The Machine wouldn't have massive amounts of resources available on the side. David beating Goliath only makes sense if David has at least a sling to fight back with.

Edited by immortalfrieza

David and Goliath never made sense, because on one hand you had a man armed with one of the most lethal weapons of its time and highly skilled in its use, and on the other hand you had Goliath.