Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

If you DON'T have an account on Ao3 and I reply to your comment, will you get any kind of notification?

Yes.  But to get it,  I have to go to that email account, and I keep forgetting my passwords. This business of keeping all the facets of my life apart is very confusing.

Just now, statsgirl said:

Yes.  But to get it,  I have to go to that email account, and I keep forgetting my passwords. This business of keeping all the facets of my life apart is very confusing.

haha my entire Olicity shipping life is all under Mellowyellow otherwise I would NEVER remember anything! 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I got the impression that Donna didn't trust him after that and that's why she wouldn't marry him. But who knows?  shrugs

I was listening to an interview with Kelly Bishop (Emily Glimour) yesterday (maybe that's where I got the phrase about living in sin) about the 30th anniversary of Dirty Dancing and she was talking about how she was 20 in the 60s and it was so liberating for women to finally be allowed to be sexual beings.  Noah would have been born in the 80s, long after the sexual revolution so his speech to Oliver just seems really anachronistic. I get that the author wanted to have him lay down the law in some form and wanted it to be different from Donna's "birth control! STD testing!" but it just came off weird.

Found it:

Oliver was 14 and Felicity 10 in chapter 1.  So Noah was in his mid twenties and Donna was 16/turned 17 when she became pregnant.

I'm sorry about being anal and it doesn't really change the character, but if Felicity's 17 in 2007, it means she was born in 1990. Noah must have been born in mid to late 60s in that case to be in mid 20s at the time of her birth.

Also, this looks to be shaping to be as controversial as FiCoN. It's been a while. ?

It's been mostly So_caffeinated but I read on her twitter that she's moving so maybe that's why there's been nothing for a while.  She/they did some stories of Jules and Ellie being kidnapped and the fall-out of that which led to Oliver and Felicity treating Jules well so I started to enjoy it again.

9 hours ago, bijoux said:

I'm sorry about being anal and it doesn't really change the character, but if Felicity's 17 in 2007, it means she was born in 1990. Noah must have been born in mid to late 60s in that case to be in mid 20s at the time of her birth.

You're right, I wasn't thinking. Felicity is 10 in 1999 which means Noah would have been born in the swinging sixties.  Free love, communes, birth control pills just arriving on the scene.  His wanting them to wait till she's 18 still doesn't make sense.

Something new from entersomethingcleverhere -- Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner. Felicity and card counting.

Noah would have been born in the swinging sixties.  Free love, communes, birth control pills just arriving on the scene.  

Lol, not everyone embraced everything the sixties had to offer.  I remember seeing in reruns a Partridge Family episode where people were coming out to protest even the idea of women WORKING.  The sixties were not so very enlightened.  

Noah embraced the  sex, though.  And not hiding a child born out of wedlock.  And living with a woman but not being married to her.  He was born in the sixties but he grew up in the seventies, Woodstock, Viet Nam war protests, civil rights marches. It doesn't seem right to give him a speech out of the 50s.

The Partridge Family zeitgeist was not typical of the sixties.  Even today, some CBS shows make me think I fell down a tunnel back to the past.

What did you quit? :)

I don't know if it was rage, but what turned me off FiCoN for good was that ficFelicity started resembling showLaurel way more than showFelicity.

There was also a choice that came off as mysogynistic in an unrelated fic.

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

What did you quit? :)

I don't know if it was rage, but what turned me off FiCoN for good was that ficFelicity started resembling showLaurel way more than showFelicity.

There was also a choice that came off as mysogynistic in an unrelated fic.

Cross My Broken Heart. Don't know why I was reading it, she's not very good on characterization IMO. She also tends to fall into OTT villains especially with Laurel.

The reason I just quit is the fic is 15 chapters in, they've reached a turning point but, the author had Oliver do the stupidest thing 

Spoiler

Make a deal with Laurel to keep having sex with her in the side and give her a baby just to keep her quiet about some secret he doesn't want Felicity to know. 

Now, in this fic, if you have sex with someone who isn't your soulmate it causes them agony.  Oliver knows it causes Felicity pain but, has been doing it since he was 16 and just learned how painful it was for her every time he screwed around. 

So now, he goes and makes this deal? 15 chapters in for no real reason. Also, he dumped Laurel like 2 chapters ago and she tattled to Daddy about Olicity not wanting to marry - which in this world results in the discarded parter becoming a "null" and, losing all rights and status. She also somehow always manages to end up in his bedroom in the mansion half naked (this is like the 3rd time) and no one says anything.

Oh and the best part, since they have to marry or Felicity will end up a pauper with no job, money, status, etc Oliver was on his way to propose just before he made this deal. And declaring that he'd be faithful to Felicity and never cause her pain again!

It just made me angry

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So am I. Honestly, I've been craving Olicity fic and just reading anything that's long or multi-chaptered.

Same. I'm kinda desperate. So I started this fic where Felicity has amnesia. The first chapter was a bit rough in terms of writing but ... I'm desperate. I dropped halfway through the second chapter when Felicity asked the nurse (or maybe it was the doctor?) to call her Fee? Not quite a ragequit but I couldn't go on.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Same. I'm kinda desperate. So I started this fic where Felicity has amnesia. The first chapter was a bit rough in terms of writing but ... I'm desperate. I dropped halfway through the second chapter when Felicity asked the nurse (or maybe it was the doctor?) to call her Fee? Not quite a ragequit but I couldn't go on.

Hahaha, i just quit another fic because they were using all these weird nicknames, Felicity was Fliss, Tommy was Tom and Oliver was OJ (not even an acknowledgement of the famous name). Granted it was a college AU where Olicity had a one night stand, too drunk to remember each other AND Felicity got pregnant (at 16) yet the reason i dropped the fic was because of the nicknames ??

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Hahaha, i just quit another fic because they were using all these weird nicknames, Felicity was Fliss, Tommy was Tom and Oliver was OJ (not even an acknowledgement of the famous name). Granted it was a college AU where Olicity had a one night stand, too drunk to remember each other AND Felicity got pregnant (at 16) yet the reason i dropped the fic was because of the nicknames ??

I just don't get giving these characters these weird nicknames. Tommy is already a nickname! LOL!

• Love 2

I've never rage quit a fic, and I rarely lose interest unless there's just chapter upon chapter of zero plot movement. That doesn't happen very often - there are so few fics that I usually stick with the ones I start. I've read some that took endless plot turns when the story should've wrapped up, but I don't recall any of them being anything that made me want to stop reading.

• Love 1

I've never rage quit, I don't think. But I have noped out of fics before or lost interest. I'm reading the fic @Morrigan2575 mentioned in a kind of train wreck way, and I haven't read the latest chapter, but I'll probably quit that one after this plot point. I don't know why I was still reading it because it was badly OOC. It's weird, I love, love, love The Predator even though Felicity and Oliver are OOC in that one, too, but other OOC fics bug me. 

4 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I've never rage quit, I don't think. But I have noped out of fics before or lost interest. I'm reading the fic @Morrigan2575 mentioned in a kind of train wreck way, and I haven't read the latest chapter, but I'll probably quit that one after this plot point. I don't know why I was still reading it because it was badly OOC. It's weird, I love, love, love The Predator even though Felicity and Oliver are OOC in that one, too, but other OOC fics bug me. 

I will rage quit the universe if Supersillyanddorky doesn't update The Predator! It's been too long :(

Edited by LeighAn

My main NOPE in fic right now is the author blaming Felicity for the break-up and painting Oliver as someone who should be forgiven for everything because he has PTSD. They tend to be more Oliver stans and it's instantly noticeable so thankfully I don't have to read much before I give up. Haha. Not what I'd consider rage quitting though, just awareness that my view is completely different and I know I won't enjoy it if I continue.

I think the only fic that did make me rage quit was the AU where Felicity eventually gets gang raped by Ray and Cooper. The author just kept putting Felicity through so much shit that it was very uncomfortable to read. I can't remember the name of it now, which is probably a blessing. Haha.

Edited by Guest
5 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

My main NOPE in fic right now is the author blaming Felicity for the break-up and painting Oliver as someone who should be forgiven for everything because he has PTSD. They tend to be more Oliver stans and it's instantly noticeable so thankfully I don't have to read much before I give up. Haha. Not what I'd consider rage quitting though, just awareness that my view is completely different and I know I won't enjoy it if I continue.

I think the only fic that did make me rage quit was the AU where Felicity eventually gets gang raped by Ray and Cooper. The author just kept putting Felicity through so much shit that it was very uncomfortable to read. I can't remember the name of it now, which is probably a blessing. Haha.

Wasn't that the one where she was a prostitute who Sara and Oliver hire to have sex with to "help their relationship"? That was a weird fic.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

Wasn't that the one where she was a prostitute who Sara and Oliver hire to have sex with to "help their relationship"? That was a weird fic.

Yes! I don't know why I read it so long anyway because I don't usually like anything but the Olicity pairing. Call it morbid curiosity, I guess. It was popular so I know lots of people liked it. Just not my cup of tea!

2 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Yes! I don't know why I read it so long anyway because I don't usually like anything but the Olicity pairing. Call it morbid curiosity, I guess. It was popular so I know lots of people liked it. Just not my cup of tea!

It was like watching a car wreck. Terrible but you can't look away. I think I read the whole thing from memory even though most of it was garbage and I hated it. Spoiler alert Sara beats Felicity up at the end of the fic too ?

Lol you guys read some rough stuff!

I've never rage quit but I tend to get bored easily when there is too much waffling.

I've been really lucky so far and have managed to avoid any doozies. Usually the super angsty disturbing stuff does not appeal to me so I skip anything that's tagged with heavy stuff. 

ETA I think my love of fluff results in less disturbing fics being read. 

Edited by Mellowyellow

I had never been so happy to be behind on a fic.  I rage quit just off of your warning about what was coming.  I'd thought that Felicity being beaten by Sara HAD to have been the final tipping point and had been trying to keep reading but even before the info about Ray and Cooper I had been avoiding it because even though Sara had beaten her and Felicity was being stalked and had just gone to see a beaten up Barry in the hospital Oliver still had been making plans on "punishing" her for not telling him about the stalker.  

It started as kind of a fascinating character study of who these people might have been if radical changes had happened in their life but Sara was wildly out of character being the one TO be the abuser of women and we learned that Felicity had gotten into the biz just to pay the rent one month and later to get bail money for Cooper and the casualness of her making these choices was also nothing I could ever imagine Felicity doing.  

And then the author got in fights with the readers and I really got the impression she was trying to work out some deep issues by putting Felicity through hell and suddenly reading it felt icky.   

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Lol you guys read some rough stuff!

I've never rage quit but I tend to get bored easily when there is too much waffling.

I've been really lucky so far and have managed to avoid any doozies. Usually the super angsty disturbing stuff does not appeal to me so I skip anything that's tagged with heavy stuff. 

ETA I think my love of fluff results in less disturbing fics being read. 

I've learned to trust my first instincts.  I never should have started that one fic.  Still disturbs me.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I also didn't get why Felicity needed to be a prostitute to save up money because she was in dire straits with her college loans yet she was getting paid $75,000 for one job and a $150,000 with another and it seemed like that was the rates she was use to so wouldn't she have paid off her college loans a lot sooner in the supposed years she had been working for Helena? 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I've learned to trust my first instincts.  I never should have started that one fic.  Still disturbs me.  

You should ask for confirmation of a HEA next time! Some of my readers always ask and I'm happy to confirm or warn rather than make people waste time reading something.

1 hour ago, Angel12d said:

I remember I had that fic marked to read later - not knowing what it was really about? but having heard a lot of people talk about it and though I'd check it out - then I think it was somewhere on this forum that I saw comments about it, realized what I would be in for and unmarked it. 

I don't know if I've rage quit any Olicity fics. Usually if I get far enough in a fic - if I read at least 10-12 chapters - I'll read to the end, though I might start skimming at a certain point, just to see how it turns out. (Watch me end up rage quitting an Olicity fic this weekend just because I've said this.) 

Oh, I forgot about this one. I don't remember the name of the fic but I do recall the author. I don't think she writes anymore? 

57 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I remember I had that fic marked to read later - not knowing what it was really about? but having heard a lot of people talk about it and though I'd check it out - then I think it was somewhere on this forum that I saw comments about it, realized what I would be in for and unmarked it. 

Yeah. The annoying thing is that she didn't add trigger warnings until after the chapter that had them. I would not have even started that fic if I'd known there would be graphic rape scenes.

Actually, that reminds me of other things that will make me quit reading - authors not tagging triggers. I started one fic that had a miscarriage in the first chapter and it really upset me because there was no trigger warning.

52 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Oh, I forgot about this one. I don't remember the name of the fic but I do recall the author. I don't think she writes anymore? 

I'm pretty sure she received a lot of hate/angry comments about the fic after it took that dark turn. Maybe that stopped her writing? IDK. Wouldn't surprise me tbh.

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I had never been so happy to be behind on a fic.  I rage quit just off of your warning about what was coming.

And then the author got in fights with the readers and I really got the impression she was trying to work out some deep issues by putting Felicity through hell and suddenly reading it felt icky.   

I'm both sorry and kinda glad I spoiled it for you, if that makes sense! It definitely needed more warnings on it.

This is how I felt too. It was very uncomfortable reading, to the point where I actually started to worry about the author tbh. That's never happened to me before. She just put Felicity through too much, IMO. I thought her hell was never gonna end. 

Edited by Guest

I quit because I'm bored or the writing is bad or the characters are OOC more than I rage quit.  Mostly it's a "eh, don't care".  I've given up trying to read any fic by that Stand_With_Ward_and_Queen writer because I figured out that every character is a Mary Sue except for Felicity who he/she puts in only so that Oliver/Sara/Laurel can have a scene where they tell her how delusion and what a terrible person she is.

5 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

It's pretty bad, not in a "horrible to read way", just in a "bad writing" way.  And why would any want to be called Fee?

3 hours ago, Angel12d said:

The is the only fic I've ever rage quit and that's because I just couldn't scrub the beatings of Felicity by Sara and others, and the brutal rape by Ray and Cooper.  It went beyond just writing about events into a kind of masochism by the author. excused by being a fanfic.

She started a sequel to it where supposedly Felicity deals with all her trauma but I just couldn't go anywhere near it.

--

A couple of fic that are something different:

Scrupulous Honor by CharlotteCordelier.  For those who like medical shows.  Felicity is a doctor at the Robert Queen Memorial Clinic in the Glades who encounters both The Hood and Oliver Queen.

Life in Code by Sarah_Lynn.  Felicity's musings as she sits in the Arrow lair. No action or plot beyond what she's thinking at four different times. It's not the sort of story I read but I thought I'd put it up for those who might like this it.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I quit because I'm bored or the writing is bad or the characters are OOC more than I rage quit.  Mostly it's a "eh, don't care".  I've given up trying to read any fic by that Stand_With_Ward_and_Queen writer because I figured out that every character is a Mary Sue except for Felicity who he/she puts in only so that Oliver/Sara/Laurel can have a scene where they tell her how delusion and what a terrible person she is.

hehe why would you of all people read anything by Stand with Ward in the first place???!!!!!

Tis my shock for the day!!!!!! 

• Love 1

Yeah. The annoying thing is that she didn't add trigger warnings until after the chapter that had them. I would not have even started that fic if I'd known there would be graphic rape scenes.

Actually, that reminds me of other things that will make me quit reading - authors not tagging triggers. I started one fic that had a miscarriage in the first chapter and it really upset me because there was no trigger warning.

I'm pretty sure she received a lot of hate/angry comments about the fic after it took that dark turn. Maybe that stopped her writing? IDK. Wouldn't surprise me tbh.

I'm both sorry and kinda glad I spoiled it for you, if that makes sense! It definitely needed more warnings on it.

This is how I felt too. It was very uncomfortable reading, to the point where I actually started to worry about the author tbh. That's never happened to me before. She just put Felicity through too much, IMO. I thought her hell was never gonna end. 

I'm glad you mentioned the trigger warnings. I absolutely cannot read stories about sexual violence and rape, and I started reading an AU once in which Felicity was a runaway teenager with a dark past.  I felt uncomfortable almost immediately but pushed forward because there weren't any trigger warnings in the notes or tags.  By the time my suspicions were confirmed, I was definitely triggered.  I left the author what I thought was a respectful comment letting her know that it can be devastating for a survivor to unexpectedly encounter something harmful when a fic isn't appropriately tagged with the correct warnings, and she lectured me about the meaning of "Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings" and how she didn't want to spoil what was a big plot reveal for her story.  As a survivor who has finally achieved hard-won psychological stability, I was really upset that plot would be privileged over people's health.  I think she eventually added an author's note or something, but it was too late for me.

There's a WIP right now about Adrian raping Oliver when he tortures him--it's in the summary.  I can't fathom wanting to read or write that kind of stuff, but I peeked at the comments to see if people were expressing their disgust. To my disgust, the comments were almost all positive and expressing the hope to see more from this story. A million ughs.

• Love 3

@EmeraldArcher, sometimes I just don't understand people at all.

I don't watch Outlander, one of the reasons is the amount of sexual violence on the show.

17 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

hehe why would you of all people read anything by Stand with Ward in the first place???!!!!!

It's like holding my hand over a flame. ;-)

Sometimes I try to move out of the box of fic that I like just to see if there's anything else I'd read.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Sometimes I try to move out of the box of fic that I like just to see if there's anything else I'd read.

I get that! I try that sometimes (although I'm more chicken than you guys so I rarely land on anything really out there) but usually discover that I'm dead set in my ways! There is the pleasant exception once in the while though!

2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

That "Shani Artist" lady draws the loveliest drawings! I won't post them all here but they are so pretty and make me smile so much when I see them!

Why not post them?  NSFW?  Will you link?

@Morrigan2575, your recap of Cross My Broken Heart has me curious but also disinclined to read it, so I have a question:

Spoiler

If a soulmate who doesn't marry is a 'null' and loses status... Does that rule not affect both partners?  Wouldn't Oliver lose status, too?

10 hours ago, EmeraldArcher said:

I'm glad you mentioned the trigger warnings. I absolutely cannot read stories about sexual violence and rape, and I started reading an AU once in which Felicity was a runaway teenager with a dark past.  I felt uncomfortable almost immediately but pushed forward because there weren't any trigger warnings in the notes or tags.  By the time my suspicions were confirmed, I was definitely triggered.  I left the author what I thought was a respectful comment letting her know that it can be devastating for a survivor to unexpectedly encounter something harmful when a fic isn't appropriately tagged with the correct warnings, and she lectured me about the meaning of "Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings" and how she didn't want to spoil what was a big plot reveal for her story.  As a survivor who has finally achieved hard-won psychological stability, I was really upset that plot would be privileged over people's health.  I think she eventually added an author's note or something, but it was too late for me.

I feel the same way and unfortunately have had the same experience a few times when reading fanfics. The general impression I've gotten is that the authors don't want to spoil the story but I wish they'd realize how harmful that is. I think it's pretty ignorant and selfish tbh, especially if the author is not new to fanfic/fandom. If they don't want to tag them from the beginning, at least put a warning at the start of the chapter. It's just common courtesy. 

9 hours ago, TrueMyth said:

@Morrigan2575, your recap of Cross My Broken Heart has me curious but also disinclined to read it, so I have a question:

Hide contents

If a soulmate who doesn't marry is a 'null' and loses status... Does that rule not affect both partners?  Wouldn't Oliver lose status, too?

Spoiler

It's all based on status in "the scope" and "society". Basically if you have money or prestige you can buy your safety while the other person gets kicked out. This story is set in a semi-dystopian world where the government control's everyone, Gay Soul mates are banned and forced to become Nulls (even though society says they MUST be with their soulmates)

For example Noah left Donna (his soulmate) when Felicity was 7 as such Donna/Felicity lost all rights, money, housing etc. Donna was (IIRC) forced to become a maid at the casino/hotel and ended up dying in poverty when Felicity was youngish. 

Felicity hates Oliver because of all the screwing around he did. She's also 10 years younger so she was suffering excruciating pain from the time she was 6. Felicity was working on a breakthrough which would make her financially rich so she could "buy her way" into 'society' so that she's be safe once Oliver rejected her.

There's a lot going on in the story. Ronnie is a Null but he's in love with Caitlin. Caitlin's soulmate was Len/Capt. Cold but he committed a major crime so she was strippedover status based on his actions (he's in prison). Barry/Curtis are gay Soul mates but have to hide their relationship because "society and "the scope" will kick them out.

Nulls have to live on "the outskirts" can't own property or businesses or even drive. 

Unmarried Soul mates have to live in approved housing provided by sponsors (usually the company they work for).

Laurel rejected her soulmate Ray because she's obsessed with Oliver and takes pleasure in screwing around and causing Ray pain. Ray hates Oliver because Laurel slept with Oliver first which caused Ray massive amounts of pain. 

Diggle/Lyla are Soul mates but had issues after marriage and divorced, they lost all place in society. However, after getting re-married the Queens Used their influence to allow them to have children and own a home.

Oh and if you are a made null, you can't have children, the government puts you on pills to make you infertile so you can't reproduce.

Oliver did something,  related to Sara (implication seems to be that he helped Sara/Nyssa escape and be together.  He went to a prison camp on Lian Yu for his actions where he met Dig). This is the secret LL is holding over Oliver and she plays on his guilt because whatever he did hurt her family's status in "society".

That all sounds so confusing. Including the part 

Spoiler

about people falling in love with people who are not their soul mates. I'd have thought that would be impossible in a world centered around the concept.

Even without the troublesome aspects, it all seems convoluted to me. It appears that the author has gone to great lengths with their world building, but I'm not sure the dots connect.