Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

I think the unfinished fics are there because there wasn't a big fuss. By my count there are 10 finished fics, and maybe 30 in total. It's not like there were 200, and if there are 20 unfinished ones, it's not big deal. You just drop a note, telling the author, I'm sorry you couldn't meet the deadline, Jane. All the best and I hope to get to read your work in the future, whether you post it independently or enter it finished in the next big bang. 

I assume unfinished works were allowed entry just to fill in some spots.

8 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

That's interesting--the last time that I read in a fandom that had big bangs it was Stargate Atlantis, and in that case they posted the stories all at once.  I wonder if it is because the big bangs no longer have to be hosted on an independent site or *shudder* live journal, so it is technologically easier to post works a chapter at a time.  

I don't think so.  If anything, AO3 makes it easier than ever to post whole fics at once and then just link to them (long fics on LJ used to have to be posted in pieces) and using the AO3 Collections feature allows them all to be collected in one place and revealed at one time if so desired (it appears that's what Het Big Bang is doing - their big reveal is tomorrow).  

It sounds like this may be more an Arrow fandom quirk, or possibly a product of fandom's migration to the more unstructured environment of Tumblr.  *shrug*  I don't know.  My Tumblr experience was brief. Lol.

It's here. The Constellations Never Fail by Macha. With more wonderful fanart.

wZjDvjH.png

The prologue and first chapter are extremely (and expectedly) engaging. Not for the week of heart, though. The opening is handled from a good perspective and most of the characters, some of them unexpected (Helena and Blood) and one who is likely to be devisive, fall into formation in the first chapter. Felicity and Oliver lead a group each and I found some of their companions surprising. Helena, Blood and Barry are on Oliver's group. Now, I'm used to seeing Helena and Blood as Oliver's adversaries, and Barry on Felicity's team in fics. And Lance for instance is in Felicity's group. 

There are little bursts of humor in the darkness which I appreciated.

I also want to give a shoutout to @TrueMyth's The Love Thieves: Amour de Soi. The first chapter is a dynamic start to a Le Femme Nikita AU.

Funnily enough, both these fics made me reminisce about the early days of OTA. The interactions between the three are in no sense similar in the fics, but I felt each tapped into aspects of what we saw on the show.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, looptab said:

This OFBB thing is rather confusing. So the only difference is that there are a bunch of new fics posted in the same week?

I think so? They all started posting last week, just on different days. So they'll get updated on those days every week. But I think I prefer the big bang format of posting all at once because one chapter isn't enough for me. 

• Love 1

Speaking of OFBB, do you have any other recommendations? Some summaries or tags just don't sound appealing for me, ranging from O/F starting a relationship after S1 (I think there are two fics set at that point in time) to  one of them being a prostitute, or incest.

By the by, @TrueMyth updated today. I got the notification, but hven't had the chance to read the new chapter yet.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7912939/chapters/18164986

Just now, bijoux said:

Speaking of OFBB, do you have any other recommendations? Some summaries or tags just don't sound appealing for me, ranging from O/F starting a relationship after S1 (I think there are two fics set at that point in time) to  one of them being a prostitute, or incest.

By the by, @TrueMyth updated today. I got the notification, but hven't had the chance to read the new chapter yet.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7912939/chapters/18164986

The post-s3 has a good start so far, I think, and the author wrote one of my favorite post-s4 one-shots.

"I'd start a riot."

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7926070/chapters/18113203

And besides the whatever that is FiCoN now, I do like the tie-in fic they wrote for OFBB with the two chapters so far. 

• Love 1

I can't believe I'm actually saying this but the FiCoN 5+1 fic is actually pretty good. I took a chance on reading it and it doesn't have any of the problems FiCoN suffers with, probably because the format is different. The chapters aren't 20k words either. Edit: Or what @way2interested said. Haha.

of Redemption and Inebriation was a bit of a hard read (for me) because

Spoiler

I felt like there was way too much of Felicity blaming herself for the break-up

but it's only the first chapter and the writing is good so I want to give it a second chance. 

Many of the others haven't appealed to me either, at least not enough to read with only one chapter. I need at least 3 before I make up my mind. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

of Redemption and Inebriation was a bit of a hard read (for me) because

Reveal hidden contents

I felt like there was way too much of Felicity blaming herself for the break-up

but it's only the first chapter and the writing is good so I want to give it a second chance. 

The writer wrote this in the comments, which explains that: 

Spoiler

so, I'll say this: this chapter was Felicity's pov, and as I feel she is a self reflectative person, a (very) good person I believe if you peeked into her brain she would be wondering a lot about what happened and how she could have prevented it. The next chapter is Oliver's pov and I think you will see that he doesn't even have a passing thought that any of this was anyone's fault but his.

Just now, apinknightmare said:

The writer wrote this in the comments, which explains that: 

Hide contents

so, I'll say this: this chapter was Felicity's pov, and as I feel she is a self reflectative person, a (very) good person I believe if you peeked into her brain she would be wondering a lot about what happened and how she could have prevented it. The next chapter is Oliver's pov and I think you will see that he doesn't even have a passing thought that any of this was anyone's fault but his.

Oh, that's good to know. Good. I did want to give it more of a chance because it felt very one sided. Cool.

I'm glad you're enjoying (and subscribing!) to The Love Thieves, @Angel12d and @bijoux.

I think the slight difference with OFBB is that the stories are complete (most of them have the number of chapters listed), so it's different from a whole bunch of interesting WiPs being posted around the same time.  FYI, stories aren't restricted to being updated on the same day as the first post.  Many stories updated today and callistawolf's Ready for the Fall is already on chapter 3.   Dettroit has said she'll update Let's Misbehave on Mondays and Thursdays.

Probably nicer for readers if the stories just dropped in full.  But hey, the current mod did invite people who might want to help run future OFBBs to volunteer (I've thought about it, but I really don't have the time).  I would start with a quick survey to gather reaction to this past BigBang, but I'd hold off on asking until the end of September or so, to let passions and frustrations die down.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I can't believe I'm actually saying this but the FiCoN 5+1 fic is actually pretty good. I took a chance on reading it and it doesn't have any of the problems FiCoN suffers with, probably because the format is different. The chapters aren't 20k words either. Edit: Or what @way2interested said. Haha.

What I think works here is that it's self-contained. I imagine FiCoN would have worked better for a lot of people if it was a cohesive unit which then sparked sequels in the same universe. I admit I was a bit (a lot) apprehensive in the last chapter of this offshot that Oliver would 

Spoiler

bite through Ellie's umbilical cord.

Thank God for them arrows.

I'm really looking forward to finding out 

Spoiler

how they deal with the changed timeline. Part of me thought maybe Ellie would wind up staying with this O&F, because seriously how is she going to be taken back into an alt timeline where she has an older sister she never met? 

TIME TRAVEL IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE COMPLETE BALLS

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I've skipped some chapters so did they ever mention Ellie's reaction ...

Hide contents

to the new kid? I mean, she knows she doesn't have an older sibling, right?

Spoiler

Yeah, she's completely aware that Felicity is pregnant (a big chunk of this chapter is about that). We didn't see her reaction firsthand - we got it after the fact, but she's super excited and said that she thinks it's a girl because Felicity needs a daughter and Ellie is aware that she's going to have to go back to her timeline at some point. She's said she doesn't have an older sister in the other timeline. IIRC, during a conversation with Felicity she had a couple of chapters ago, Ellie mentioned that she likes it better in this timeline, but followed that up with an "except" that Felicity never followed up with her on. Not sure what the "except" is, but....yeah, she definitely doesn't have an older sibling in the original timeline. 

Edited by apinknightmare
18 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Hide contents

Yeah, she's completely aware that Felicity is pregnant (a big chunk of this chapter is about that). We didn't see her reaction firsthand - we got it after the fact, but she's super excited and said that she thinks it's a girl because Felicity needs a daughter and Ellie is aware that she's going to have to go back to her timeline at some point. She's said she doesn't have an older sister in the other timeline. IIRC, during a conversation with Felicity she had a couple of chapters ago, Ellie mentioned that she likes it better in this timeline, but followed that up with an "except" that Felicity never followed up with her on. Not sure what the "except" is, but....yeah, she definitely doesn't have an older sibling in the original timeline. 

Oh, I read the latest chapter

Spoiler

and saw Ellie addressing the baby. I was just wondering if she was confused by the fact she didn't have an older sibling in her timeline. Although she's a kid so I'm not sure she really considered all that

. My head hurts.

8 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Oh, I read the latest chapter

Hide contents

and saw Ellie addressing the baby. I was just wondering if she was confused by the fact she didn't have an older sibling in her timeline. Although she's a kid so I'm not sure she really considered all that

. My head hurts.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood!

Spoiler

No, she doesn't seem to be confused at all - not that we've seen, at least. She seems to be perfectly aware that there are two different timelines, that she doesn't have an older sister in the original one, but will have a sister in this one (IIRC she said she was going to be a big sister in this timeline - so she doesn't quite grasp that she hasn't been born yet in this timeline), and will one day have to return to her original timeline. I don't recall her ever asking about what's going to happen to this new baby in her timeline. 

• Love 1

Oh god. 

Spoiler

Back when Ellie first mentioned William in one of her drawings I thought for sure that was going to be dealt with, but 300k words later I would've been really happy if they'd let it be. Now that they have other timeline Oliver visiting new timeline Oliver, it would be really stupid for him to NOT tip him off about what was going to go down with that. But I don't really want to read it, because it seems like dealing with that would include Moira angst and...ugh. 

I REALLY THOUGHT WITH OTHER OLIVER SHOWING UP WE WERE CLOSE TO THE END. 

• Love 1

Aw, you guys. I was so hopeful you had an end in sight, based on posts here. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's not that much longer!

As an aside, I can't get into fics about Olicity's kids set in the future. Not even the Legacy fic by ash818 could draw me in and her fics were always so well written. Baby/toddler are one thing but fics about grown up Olicity kids does nothing for me, personally. I just want to read about O/F tbh.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 10
Just now, Angel12d said:

Aw, you guys. I was so hopeful you had an end in sight, based on posts here. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's not that much longer!

As an aside, I can't get into fics about Olicity's kids set in the future. Not even the Legacy fic by ash818 could draw me in and her fics were always so well written. Baby/toddler are one thing but fics about grown up Olicity kids does nothing for me, personally. I just want to read about O/F tbh.

Yeah, count me in on not being excited for the sequels/spinoffs, and this is coming from someone who is still reading/skimming the fic. Kids as plot points are alright for me, but turning them into characters and following them is just kind of a waste of time for me personally. I get the idea of enjoying the characters enough to continue on with them I guess, but that is not for me. I like the writing so that's what's keeping me here so far but I only have snippets of anticipation for the rest of the story. 

I'll be here for the 5+1 related fic since that still does focus on O/F, and to a lesser extent the rest of FiCoN, but I can only go so far. Not to scorn the hand that feeds me, but I'm ready for something new/getting back to her other 5+1 and Blood Hands. I just cannot match or even feel the excitement that they seem to have for this story at all.

I think my current craving for kidfic stems from my frustration with the show. I don't really want to read anything that has to do with recent show canon, especially season 4. AU future Olicity kidfic would be about as far as I can get.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I love Legacy, but I am not at all interested in the Legacy verse which focuses more on Jonathan. What's great about Legacy (to me) is that it's still anO/F story, but it's seen through the eyes of their kid. I'm just not interested in that kid's love life.

@way2interested, are you talking about so_caffeinated post-S4 5+1 fic? It's funny because I really like that one, yet am not really interested in post-S4 fics in general at the moment. Although I don't think I liked the last chapter as much as I did the previous ones. I couldn't actually remember who was observing them until I looked it up on AO3. I thought it may have to do with the fact that Felicity wasn't physically present in the chapter, but that set up worked really well for me with the reporter, so I can't really put my finger on what didn't click for me.

17 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I love Legacy, but I am not at all interested in the Legacy verse which focuses more on Jonathan. What's great about Legacy (to me) is that it's still anO/F story, but it's seen through the eyes of their kid. I'm just not interested in that kid's love life.

@way2interested

I enjoyed the first part of the Legacy verse because, as you said, you could see O/F through their kid. I just couldn't get to grips with any of the others. I just can't invest in OC's in fanfic. IDK why. It's why I know I won't read the FiCoN spin-offs where they're planning the Olicity kid's grown-up love lives and whatever. It's not enough to hold me. I have no investment in them like I do with O/F.

I understand why it will have an audience though, particularly if post s4 fic isn't working for anyone. Completely understandable.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, bijoux said:

@way2interested, are you talking about so_caffeinated post-S4 5+1 fic? It's funny because I really like that one, yet am not really interested in post-S4 fics in general at the moment. Although I don't think I liked the last chapter as much as I did the previous ones. I couldn't actually remember who was observing them until I looked it up on AO3. I thought it may have to do with the fact that Felicity wasn't physically present in the chapter, but that set up worked really well for me with the reporter, so I can't really put my finger on what didn't click for me.

Yep, that's the one. I'm in a similar boat. Most of the post-s4 stuff that I've liked have either been one-shots or divergence from where the plot's really going for s5, but there have been a few that I really like.

Yeah, the latest chapter wasn't my favorite either (one of the reasons why I wanted her to update it rather than coming up with yet another plot for FiCoN, but *shrugs*), I think because it was a character who was completely disconnected from both O/F, without knowing them or even really seeing them at all. But I did think it was better reading it over again once I got what was going on in the chapter.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, lemotomato said:

So caffeinated tweeted this tease, so out of curiosity I went back 30 chapters to guess what she might be talking about.

Reveal hidden contents

Based on this in the comments, I think they're going to bring William into the story.

::sigh:: Just when it looked like they were getting back on track.

Aaand, you're right. Damn it.

Spoiler

Somebody reassure me that Barry's the second guy showing up at the end of the chapter.

Spoiler

I was comforting myself that it had to be because Felicity saw two men. I think she would still see teen William as a kid, which is what he would be in Ellie's time. But then, I'm still convinced that future future Ellie is the female speedster that showed up a few times, so there's no saying it couldn't be a William from further down the timeline. 

7 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Somebody reassure me that Barry's the second guy showing up at the end of the chapter.

Spoiler

I think he has to be - surely a speedster would need to be around to do the time traveling - Oliver will need to get back to his timeline somehow. I suppose Barry could've dropped Oliver and William off to be picked up later? Although...goodness what a stupid idea to bring some alt timeline kid that this Oliver has never met right into his kitchen. So...I don't know. But I'm guessing it's Barry.

Edited by apinknightmare

This conversation has me thinking about a one-shot that someone posted on Tumblr that was a companion to ash818's Legacy series (but it wasn't written by her) about Jonathan getting stuck back in S2-ish time, before O/F were together. Felicity knows he's her son, and Oliver's kind of in denial about it, then Barry and his kids run Older Oliver back through time to bring him back. 

Anyone remember this fic? I can't find it, ugh. 

1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

This conversation has me thinking about a one-shot that someone posted on Tumblr that was a companion to ash818's Legacy series (but it wasn't written by her) about Jonathan getting stuck back in S2-ish time, before O/F were together. Felicity knows he's her son, and Oliver's kind of in denial about it, then Barry and his kids run Older Oliver back through time to bring him back. 

Anyone remember this fic? I can't find it, ugh. 

Wasn't that written by rosietwiggs? I do remember she wrote fanfic for that fanfic, haha.

Yeah, I remember that one as well. Didn't Felicity get a little flustered around old(er) Oliver? Which amused him, annoyed present day Oliver and squicked out Jon? I'm not sure who wrote it, I think more than one person wrote either one shots or very elaborate headcanons based on that fic.