Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I actually didn't read His Girl Wednesday, I have major issues with fics that have Felicity as an EA, especially of they're AU or set after S2. However, i actually started reading the sequel and it's pretty good so far.

I ended up really enjoying His Girl Wednesday.  Felicity is only his EA because she missed the interview in her field so they struck a temporary deal.  (any issues with her working for him are taken care of by the end)  It's basically Oliver getting his act together and becoming someone worthy of Felicity before the island with good amounts of Moira and Queen politics and the evil Isabel.  

Of course while reading the story i had zero idea that it wasn't just a total AU but an AU prequel to him getting on the Gambit, lol.  Again, despite some of the things that had me worried (Felicity his EA, Oliver starting as a dude bro) the actual story worked for their characters.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The Darkest Hour has been updated. I really enjoyed this chapter 

Not many fics manage to be exhilarating but this fic manages to be just that. Loved the action, loved the intricate nature of Moira/Felicity's relationship. Love how Lyla has a larger role now...

The author does a fantastic job at developing every single aspect of the story no matter how small. I really appreciate it!

On 19/08/2016 at 3:49 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

The Darkest Hour has been updated. I really enjoyed this chapter 

This fanfic is super underrated. I almost see it has the Arrow I would've preferred. Existing characters are explored, Moira is still around being her seriously grey self. 

And most importantly (for me), it's surviving without any of the Lances. And thriving. Yay! ?

• Love 4

I really like that Tommy is 

Spoiler

Evil. But I do feel like something is missing from his motivation. Like something else pushed him over the edge to where he is now. I adore that the writers have made it so that Tommy is Oliver's blind spot. At the beginning anyway. Tommy and Oliver expect each other to act in a certain way so when their actions don't fit that criteria, it's like they don't know the other person. *sniff*

I love how Moira can't help but to really like Felicity. It just makes me so sad that it didn't happen on the tv screen. Those 2 had such potential to be dynamite. 

• Love 5

I actually have real faith in the author regarding Tommy. It's not where I would instinctively go given the Tommy we know from the show, but I think she's really onto something here and that it's tied into the history of abuse, but was really triggered by 

Spoiler

Oliver's "death".

That's the part I find fascinating, cruelly ironic and just downright sad.

8 minutes ago, bijoux said:

The Darkest Hour. :D No, really. There was promising stuff in earlier chapters, but this last one was great in that regard.

Lol. I've been reading The Darkest Hour and I do enjoy it. Password just reminded me how much I wanted Moira and Felicity scenes on the show.

• Love 1

I remember a really good fic written pre-s2 or early s2 that was set in the future. Olicity are married but Moira's been in prison for awhile and, doesn't know about Olicity being married. It has some good Moira/Felicity scenes but, I can't remember author or title. Anyone know the.fic?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bijoux said:

I actually have real faith in the author regarding Tommy. It's not where I would instinctively go given the Tommy we know from the show, but I think she's really onto something here and that it's tied into the history of abuse, but was really triggered by 

Hide contents

Oliver's "death".

That's the part I find fascinating, cruelly ironic and just downright sad.

I never thought of that. I do like that the writer is 

Spoiler

following through on Malcolm basically turning Tommy into an abusive, more emotional version of himself. Often, people who have been abused turn into abusers themselves. Because in a way, Oliver would've been the one holding Tommy back from falling off the cliff, and then Tommy's tether died so he snapped (which is basically what you said ?). 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I remember a really good fic written pre-s2 or early s2 that was set in the future. Olicity are married but Moira's been in prison for awhile and, doesn't know about Olicity being married. It has some good Moira/Felicity scenes but, I can't remember author or title. Anyone know the.fic?

You guys could try searching or asking The Olicity Library on Tumblr.  I don't see it listed in the "married" tag.

After our discussion last week about FiCoN starting to wind down, of course 

Spoiler

Thea had to go and stab Laurel in the chest with an arrow, which will likely lead to Blood getting out and Oliver and co. having to take care of that now, too. 

3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

No! I was glad it ended the way it did. It could've gone other, dramatic ways, but it felt right. 

Thank God. Because I rarely cry reading fics haha! 

Fun story. The author likes to remain anonymous but I found out who she is on social media by recommending her own story to her :p

Also for those who like Sins, the author said that she will finish that fic. Idk when but she wants to finish it. So I guess that's a good thing? 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Also for those who like Sins, the author said that she will finish that fic. Idk when but she wants to finish it. So I guess that's a good thing? 

This makes me unbelievably happy. While it's at a decent place to be an ending right now, I love that fic and reread it fairly frequently so I'm glad she's going to finish it. Whenever that may be. Now, if I could get The Predator updated...

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

This makes me unbelievably happy. While it's at a decent place to be an ending right now, I love that fic and reread it fairly frequently so I'm glad she's going to finish it. Whenever that may be. Now, if I could get The Predator updated...

Unfortunately I'm not sure about this author. According to her twitter she faced two family tragedies recently and now lives someplace that has no internet. :(

11 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Unfortunately I'm not sure about this author. According to her twitter she faced two family tragedies recently and now lives someplace that has no internet. :(

Awww. Well, I wish her well. I'll just have to finish it in my head then. :)

Is the Sins you're talking about the one written by SmoaknArrow? Because she's still very active online

17 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

After our discussion last week about FiCoN starting to wind down, of course 

Hide contents

Thea had to go and stab Laurel in the chest with an arrow, which will likely lead to Blood getting out and Oliver and co. having to take care of that now, too. 

I had to go back and read the last part of the fic as my eyes started glazing over when she showed up at the door. I totally missed what happened next :P

Deceive, Inveigle, Obfuscate has been updated.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6452551/chapters/17935963

it's mostly a bridge chapter, but Donna and Moira meet, Donna puts her awesome foot forward when meeting Oliver, he and Felicity are still total dopes who are getting more touchy by the second, and there are excellent developments at the end of the chapter, i.e. 

Spoiler

Oliver being taken in for questioning and Cooper showing up. Now, of course it's Cooper, but his appearance and Donna and Thea planning another ceremony/reception days away makes me believe things will be wrapped up before it comes to it.

• Love 2

Macha has been dropping stuff about her OFBB fic. Here's the summary and excerpt.

Oliver Queen has learned the precise kind of ruthlessness it takes to keep his friends and family alive in a post-apocalyptic world.  Felicity Smoak has built a somewhat idyllic enclave smart enough to withstand almost anything from the living or the dead.  When they meet, their respective philosophies on living through this brutal new world clash – and they might need to work together to survive.

Spoiler

Felicity jumps back, away from the brutality on full display before her. She pulls the little boy with her, trying to shield him from the sight. “What’d you dothat for?” she demands of the gargantuan man who’d appeared in the middle of the fight. She’s angry and appalled, but her voice comes out higher and little more unsteady than she’d like, all things considered. “What is wrong with you?”

The murder-y guy stares at her, a strange mix of ruggedly handsome andterrifying-slash-possibly sociopathic, what with the blood-soaked piece of metal he’s holding that he just used to kill a bunch of people.

“We don’t have jails,” Scruffy Guy answers curtly.

But what I want to draw special attention to is fe-li-ci-ty's wonderfull art. Just look at it.

tumblr_oc9ziicjX91ttwvoho1_500.png

tumblr_oc9zu8WPTY1ttwvoho1_500.png

tumblr_oca29tZmTc1ttwvoho1_500.png

• Love 3

Heads up, OFBB 2016 has started.

http://archiveofourown.org/collections/Olicity_Fic_Bang_2016

And artwork and excerpts from Macha's entry.

tumblr_oca23bqoA61ttwvoho1_500.png

Spoiler

Oliver scans her form quickly, evaluating her; she’s wearing clothes that are surprisingly clean and well-maintained, missing the accumulated sweat stains, unpatched rips, and generally ragged quality the rest of them have. Oliver narrows his eyes, somewhere between curious and suspicious, and looks at her a little more closely – she’s breathing hard, eyes wide behind her glasses, cheeks flushed from exertion.

It occurs to him as their gazes lock that she’s beautiful.

tumblr_oca2kju1IN1ttwvoho1_500.png

Spoiler

Dig touches his daughter’s cheek before he begins to talk. “Lyla was six months pregnant when the world ended.” Even now, his voice is tight with stress talking about it. “We met in the army, in country, so we both know the value of tactical retreat, and how to calculate your odds of surviving an engagement. We left the city just about when it all started, drove up into the mountains, all the way to hell and gone from everyone else. And we found a cabin.”

Sola shifts in Felicity’s arms, kicking her feet a little, and sparking a question from Felicity: “So you delivered your daughter?” Then she grimaces. “I’m sorry – your story to tell in as much or as little detail as you’d like.”

Dig and Lyla are both smiling at her, though, not offended in the least by her curiosity. “Yes,” Lyla says, “he delivered Sola.”

“That was an interesting night,” Dig comments. “Miraculous and terrifying all at once.”

tumblr_oca0c0G6yS1ttwvoho1_500.png

Spoiler

“So this is Starling.” Felicity hooks a thumb over her shoulder to indicate the imposing wall, then drops her hands to her sides like she’s not quite sure what she’s supposed to be doing. Then she shrugs. “Welcome, Team Arrow.”

Oliver blinks at her. “What?”

She waves vaguely at the bow slung across his body. “You know, because of that. Team Bow and Arrow and Crossbow and Pointy Sticks and Knives and Stuff is too long to say.” She shrugs. “So:  Team Arrow.”

“We don’t call ourselves that,” Oliver protests, but Felicity just grins at him, unrepentant and probably overtired. She’s disheveled, wispy hairs that long escaped her ponytail create a fuzzy halo around her face, and her clothes are no longer quite as untouched as they had been twelve hours ago. She’s got smudges of dirt and possibly blood on her cheek, and she’s still smiling at them like the world hasn’t gone mad the last three years. He does not understand her at all.

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 1

Since I'm a reader and not a writer, I was wondering if the writers on this board have any insight on the drama that's breaking out over so_caffeinated and bre posting their OFBB fic early. I get the impression that the upset participants feel like their thunder has been stolen, but wouldn't it have been worse for them if the most well-known fic at the moment had been posted along with everyone else's and received all the attention/comments?

All I know is that so_caffeinated and bre decided to remove the fic from OFBB in reaction and wll post the rest of it independently. I suppose the anonymous commenter felt they had preferential treatment and everyone else had their fics lumped together, but even if that were so, honestly, so what? 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Since I'm a reader and not a writer, I was wondering if the writers on this board have any insight on the drama that's breaking out over so_caffeinated and bre posting their OFBB fic early. I get the impression that the upset participants feel like their thunder has been stolen, but wouldn't it have been worse for them if the most well-known fic at the moment had been posted along with everyone else's and received all the attention/comments?

Yeah, the story that OFBB is based on is one of the most read, most commented on fics with one of the highest (if not the highest, IDK) number of kudos in fandom. It was probably going to be the "biggest" fic posted for OFBB regardless of whether it went up today or on Monday, so I'm not sure what the big deal is. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

All I know is that I've just spent five minutes looking for the right facepalm gif for the situation. Is this the summer of Arrow fic meltdowns, or what? What is HAPPENING?

Actually, I do have something to say, and I'm not in the OFBB, so I have no skin in the game.

I don't agree that "wouldn't it have been worse for them if the most well-known fic at the moment had been posted along with everyone else's and received all the attention/comments?" - the good thing about well known fics being posted along with others, is that once you've finished reading that, you'll go on to the other participants in the OFBB. By posting it so early, there's not going to be that effect. The anonymous commenter must have felt that maybe by Wednesday, everyone will be all OFBB'd out .

6 minutes ago, bijoux said:

All I know is that so_caffeinated and bre decided to remove the fic from OFBB in reaction and wll post the rest of it independently. I suppose the anonymous commenter felt they had preferential treatment and everyone else had their fics lumped together, but even if that were so, honestly, so what? 

And first prize for the worst way to react to a problem of their own making goes to . . . . so_caffeinated and bre, for reacting so maturely.

I mean, come on. No matter how one falls on the divide (bad decision versus no big deal), taking your toys and going home is never a good look on anyone, in my opinion. What was so hard about keeping to a deadline?

I'm still looking forward to Wednesday, 'cos I want to read Macha's

Spoiler

zombie

fic. Yay for

Spoiler

zombies

!

10 minutes ago, arjumand said:

I don't agree that "wouldn't it have been worse for them if the most well-known fic at the moment had been posted along with everyone else's and received all the attention/comments?" - the good thing about well known fics being posted along with others, is that once you've finished reading that, you'll go on to the other participants in the OFBB. By posting it so early, there's not going to be that effect. The anonymous commenter must have felt that maybe by Wednesday, everyone will be all OFBB'd out .

And first prize for the worst way to react to a problem of their own making goes to . . . . so_caffeinated and bre, for reacting so maturely.

I mean, come on. No matter how one falls on the divide (bad decision versus no big deal), taking your toys and going home is never a good look on anyone, in my opinion. What was so hard about keeping to a deadline?

When a whole bunch of fics get updated/posted at once, I'm less likely to leave thoughtful feedback on each and every one of them. And if I'm busy, I might not even be able to read every new fic, and only choose the ones by the authors I know/like the most. I don't really understand why one story being posted early would burn people out by Wednesday.

So_caffeinated and Bre are still going to post the new story, they're just not going to associate it with OFBB anymore. So they're not taking their toys and going home at all.

• Love 2

I may be conjuring this up, but I think I remember posts about posting schedules, so I imagine not everyone will drop their fics at the exact same time. I thought they were all assigned days. Macha's is Wednesday, but I think others will be posting starting Monday.

36 minutes ago, arjumand said:

I'm still looking forward to Wednesday, 'cos I want to read Macha's

Reveal hidden contents

zombie

fic. Yay for

Reveal hidden contents

zombies

!

According to Macha they really won't play much (if any part) in the story. 

I'm just confused as to how this is harmful to anyone who participated or how it steals anyone's thunder? From what I understand the fics are being posted throughout the week, so it's not like FiCoN was going to anchor some rush of movement to the OFBB archive so that everyone's fic had a chance to be read after people were done reading that one - because everyone's fic isn't going to be posted yet. And having one update already out and read just opens up more time for people to read other works? 

If we're stretching it I would say that maybe removing their fic from the OFBB archive might cause some fics to be missed, but that would really only happen if the author didn't tag O/F and somehow the reader was only checking AO3 for OFBB works, and not Olicity works as a whole. 

Is there something I'm missing here? I haven't been closely following OFBB, so maybe there's something else to it. As of now I really don't get why this is an issue.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I may be conjuring this up, but I think I remember posts about posting schedules, so I imagine not everyone will drop their fics at the exact same time. I thought they were all assigned days. Macha's is Wednesday, but I think others will be posting starting Monday.

According to Macha they really won't play much (if any part) in the story. 

Oh, ok - I thought everyone was posting Wednesday.

To your second point, NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

J/K, I'm sure it'll be great nevertheless.

This is all news to me because I didn't even know what OFBB was. LMAO. Not being on tumblr anymore has me out of the loop. Thank god. Seems like a load of fuss over nothing, IMO, and I'm not even a fan of the FICON authors so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm looking forward to Macha's fic though. Yay!

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1

I'm posting a fic for OFBB that I have been working on since April, and I first heard of this dust-up here (since I check these forums before Tumblr when I get home from work).  Honestly, I feel a little slighted since I haven't even been told which day I should post or had a response back to my final check-in.  So I'm surprised that stories are already posting. I expected to know what day I'm posting ahead of time.

I would have loved to get an advance list of when fics are posting since some of the summaries sounded great, and I'm curious who is writing them.  I think of those little bits of advance knowledge as the (little) reward for participating and sitting on my story for so long... so I kinda understand the disappointment of the anon.

However, it's ultimately not my show/challenge, and I haven't even started reading FICON because I tend to stay away from WiPs because I lose track of the story thread and prefer to read in one sitting.  The release on this story probably won't affect the reception of mine that much.

Bottom line, let's save the drama for the storylines!

Edited by TrueMyth
  • Love 4

I missed the drama and despite reading the posts about it in this thread I still don't really understand what the matter was LOL. As I reader I love the OFBB idea because the last time there were quite a few very enjoyable fics and I always look forward to that. I stopped reading FICON ages ago and I don't understand why it's so popular and the same goes for a few very popular writers in the fandom..I like basically everything Macha writes so I'm looking forward to her fic but other than that I'm looking forward to finding new fics and it makes no difference to me if the author is well known inside the fandom or not.

• Love 4

I went looking into this drama about the OFBB and I am super annoyed that these two authors got special treatment because they are apparently "the best writers in the fandom", while that may be true for some readers, it's not true for all. The most popular writers do not necessarily mean they are the best writers. I am also annoyed about the fact that they were able to start posting because the fic has been finished for three months (apparently). I know one of the writers participating and she has been working on her story for months too, and decided to join the OFBB instead of just posting it. Why does she have to wait? 

Though what I find the most offensive is the admin went and made a tumblr post about this whole thing, including posting a screencap of the review/comment. 

• Love 3

Did they really get special treatment because "they're the best writers in the fandom?" Because if that's true, UGH x 1000. I just thought they were allowed to post early because they were going to the con this weekend. But ugh. 

21 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

The admin said/wrote that? Yikes.

Whoops, my mistake-- I just reread it to see what the actual quote was. It wasn't "the best writers". I put the two sentences together and my mind came out with that. When the admin replied to the initial comment on the fic (no idea if it's all still up, but the screencap of it is) she said "what's disrespectful is your comment to these two authors. They are some of the best people in the fandom". 

However, so-caffeinated is a co-founder of the OFBB, so it still seems like there was some kind of special treatment there? According to the admin of the whole thing tho, they were originally supposed to post last.

We never intended for her to post first. Originally they were going to post the last day. It was just scheduling and how it worked out with FiCoN and we thought it would be fun. #FiCoNFridays leading to the original’s regularly scheduled Monday update. HVFF bookended by the FiCoN universe.

Edited by HighHopes

They should all be finished that are posting.  They haven't given a final count, but there should be lots of new Olicity fic next week.

Runawayminds has posted to say she's ready to step away from OFBB for a while and that she would be open to someone taking the helm if they want more structure.  If/when she runs it again it will be "for fun."

• Love 1