Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

So I hate the new chapter of FiCoN. Haaaaaate it. Not only is Malcolm heavily featured, Oliver and Moira are spouting that "you can't kill him, he's Thea's daddy!" BULLSHIT that makes me RAGE. I really don't think I'm a freak when I say that if my biological father, who I did not even grow up with as a father, murdered my father, kidnapped and tortured my stepfather, and killed my friend/half-brother, and 500+ other people, I really and truly would want nothing to do with him and would not shed one single solitary tear over his death. I LOATHE that in-show, and I don't get, at all, why they're putting that shit in the fic. I mean sure, it's canon, but nothing else in the fic is canon, so WHY THAT?!? Then it turns out MALCOLM is the one who puts Felicity, while she's pregnant with their second child, in a coma in the future, and STILL Moira's spouting that horse shit and STILL Oliver's falling for it. It's just absolutely maddening and I completely hate it. I bet you money they don't even kill the SOB in the fic, which I have to say, will make me stop reading their stuff. I already put up with Oliver not just killing the SOB in the show; I ain't putting up with that shit in fic.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I bet you money they don't even kill the SOB in the fic, which I have to say, will make me stop reading their stuff. I already put up with Oliver not just killing the SOB in the show; I ain't putting up with that shit in fic.

We don't bet money here. You know that. 

Get your hat ready

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

We don't bet money here. You know that. 

Get your hat ready

I don't think So_Caffeinated killed him in her other fic, the long one, with a sequel, in which Oliver was nearly outed. And they seem to be buying into "He's Thea's daddy!" BS.

I didn't really need Malcolm there at all. My God, just get to Isabel. But the fact that he does do whatever he does in the future actually makes me believe the writers aren't on board the Save Evil Daddy train, because they are showing some very serious consequences to not taking him out down the line. I don't know where they'll be going with him, nor can I say I care all that much at this point, but I don't think they're absolving him.

The fact that he attacks them in the future is what I actually appreciated most about his appearance here. It shows him as unredeemable, which fits. The most problematic factor here for me is Moira actually. I didn't get her attitude in the least and it doesn't really jive with what I remember of her. She set the League on him! I feel her argument should have been presented differently. Don't kill him now, Oliver. Use him to get Thea and off him another day. That would have kept Malcolm alive if they wanted to, but very much on borrowed time.

(edited)

Yeah, I don't get Moira's attitude, either. Like this:

"Don't kid yourself, Malcolm," Moira replies, glancing over her shoulder. "I've never cared. Not about you. But I do care about my daughter. And she deserves answers from you that she'll never get if you're dead.

What answers? Any questions she could have about him have a simple answer: because he's a terrible person. And I'm not sure why they need him around to find Thea. Hopefully once they find her Oliver will off him. Not really looking forward to him stepping in and saving Oliver so Oliver owes him one, so please don't make that happen, writers. 

"You will not kill your sister's father. Not if you want to have any hope of ever repairing your relationship with Thea."

She hadn't shown any inclination toward actually wanting him to be her father at that point? She seemed pretty pissed about it, actually. So not sure why this threat would have any weight with Oliver. I guess just the thought of Thea not speaking to him again? IDK.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

Yeah, plus as crazy as Oliver's attitude twoards Malcolm has been on the show, I can actually see where it stemmed from. On the show he's lost both his parents and the chance to rebuild his relationship with them on firmer ground. The desperate, crazy lengths he goes to for Thea to have that chance make a twisted sort of sense in that context. (Although, push her in Walter's direction and follow her closely, you dolt!) Here, however, Moira is still around, he's rebuilding his relationship with her and Thea has the same opportunity should she want it. Having Malcolm around makes even less sense than on the show.

• Love 1

They should have just had Oliver lop off his damn head as soon as Ellie let it slip that FUCKING MALCOLM is the one who put pregnant Felicity in a coma. And Moira's all "You can't condemn him for something he hasn't done yet. " Um, yeah you can, bc TIME TRAVEL. Or here's a thought, just condemn him for the wretched shit he's ALREADY DONE. 

So disappointed. 

7 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

I don't think So_Caffeinated killed him in her other fic, the long one, with a sequel, in which Oliver was nearly outed. And they seem to be buying into "He's Thea's daddy!" BS.

I feel like they were at least a little more on the train to let's kill MM than the show. The first and only person I really saw derail it was MQ. Everybody else seemed on board, until they realized TQ's safety was at risk. Then OQ did begin to waver a little.

IDK, I'm just gonna chill with it a little bit. I do think they will drop the MM is Daddy #1 and needs to be saved, once TQ gets back into the picture.

And at the end of the day, I wouldn't be surprised if Ellie is the one that actually kills MM. That 3yr old is determined. She does practice archery in the future.

It just felt like a really long chapter with a whole lot nothing. They really need to get their word count down for chapters. I don't mind long chapters if they are fluff or smut, because those are fun. But it doesn't take that many words to figure out TQ is missing and in danger, MM is a lying man to not be trusted, IR/Blood are bad people and FS is a genius with computers & facial recognition. This was just a plot moving chapter, it needed to be half of the length it was.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, kismet said:

. I don't mind long chapters if they are fluff or smut, because those are fun. But it doesn't take that many words to figure out TQ is missing and in danger, MM is a lying man to not be trusted, IR/Blood are bad people and FS is a genius with computers & facial recognition. This was just a plot moving chapter, it needed to be half of the length it was

I agree. I've liked everything they've done in the story so far because I love fluff and I don't mind a detour into cute family time because I love Ellie. I wasn't a fan of most of this chapter except for Ellie's reaction to MM and the hints about the future. I had to endure multiple episodes of the show where Thea gets into trouble, MM smirks, and Oliver has to drop everything and make bad decisions to rescue her. Why must it be repeated in fanfic too? 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3

Oh yeah, and once again Thea is in trouble because of her own utter and complete idiocy. JUST LIKE IN THE SHOW. Her brother gives a news conference in which he publicly states that Blood and/or Isabel planted cameras at the mansion (I can't remember the specifics, but he definitely publicly accused them/at least Blood of some kind of wrongdoing) and Thea's MORONIC response is to stomp on over, alone, to confront Blood about it?

That's a Darwin award right there. Just let her die, Oliver. She's way too dumb to be allowed to enter the gene pool.

• Love 2

I didn't have a rage response to Malcolm showing up in FICON, but it definitely broke my faith in the fic. I really admire writers, including fanfiction writers who put so much time, talent, and effort into something for which they can never receive compensation. Publishing something on a scheduled basis, as they write it, is even more impressive, especially when you get something complete and coherent in the end. And the sheer content is awe-inspiring! I once did a writing exercise where I spent hours on maybe 8 lines for a potty training board book. But I seriously want to attack their fic with a gigantic red pen and have a serious talk with the authors about their plans. 

Excellent points about the unearned biological parent insanity, @bijoux, and I share the above frustrations about the authors including some of the show writers' biggest mistakes. Did you catch the time travel line about how some things "want" to happen or whatever? SIGH. I'm pretty certain they're going to kill Moira, probably to save Unrealistically Dumb Thea from her own mistakes. They started out so strong. Why are they afraid to make the big changes? Kill Malcolm! Empower the female characters! Keep Moira, and make her the most terrifyingly powerful and complex mayor Star/ling has ever seen, including Ruve! Skip stupid Ra's entirely, because if Malcolm is dead, the whole season 3 drama is irrelevant! Play with the ripple effect of killing key players, starting/ending relationships early, and knowing too much about the future. Or, better yet, just deal with the immediate threats, make implications about the long-term resolution of the time travel and Zoom issues, and wrap it up.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, wonderwall said:

With bitterness comes fantastic fanart lol

CkZVspRXIAAAmHw.jpg

It just cracks me up to imagine putting so much effort into fanart because you dislike something. Putting hours of energy and work into a show you love? Sure, thousands of people do, that's what being a fan is. But bothering to do all this because you hate a character so much is hilarious. If I saw that out of context I'd assume it was a Felicity or Olicity fan who made it as an AU or promo for fanfic. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

And then an Olicity fan added to it to complete the cast:

CkZo8KsWkAAVQE3.jpg

I feel like they should have put Diggle to the right of OQ, that would have balanced it better for me. Put Curtis & TQ next to each other.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

It just cracks me up to imagine putting so much effort into fanart because you dislike something. Putting hours of energy and work into a show you love? Sure, thousands of people do, that's what being a fan is. But bothering to do all this because you hate a character so much is hilarious. If I saw that out of context I'd assume it was a Felicity or Olicity fan who made it as an AU or promo for fanfic. 

It's actually what I first thought it was.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, akiss said:

Does anyone have any recs for post 4x23 fics? I think the possibilities are endless...

Here's a few:

State of the Union (multi-chap, 2 chapters): Oliver decides to ask Felicity to be his deputy mayor. 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7119568/chapters/16171456

Summer Hiatus Fic: A bunch of drabbles following all of the characters (so far Oliver, Felicity, Thea, Lyla, and Sara) during the summer after s4 *Really recommend this one*

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7028647/chapters/15993313

Blind Date (one shot): Oliver and Felicity decide it might be time to start dating again and agree to be matched up by Thea and Diggle for blind dates.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7117840

Repairs (one-shot): After Darhk's attack, Oliver visits the loft to make repairs for Felicity. *Really recommend this one* 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6991384

Just Breathe (one-shot): Felicity tries to comfort Oliver during the night despite them still being broken up.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7104349

I haven't really found any real multi-chap fics post s4 yet, but hopefully once we're deeper into summer and we get more details from SDCC, we'll get some. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, way2interested said:

Here's a few:

State of the Union (multi-chap, 2 chapters): Oliver decides to ask Felicity to be his deputy mayor. 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7119568/chapters/16171456

Summer Hiatus Fic: A bunch of drabbles following all of the characters (so far Oliver, Felicity, Thea, Lyla, and Sara) during the summer after s4 *Really recommend this one*

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7028647/chapters/15993313

Blind Date (one shot): Oliver and Felicity decide it might be time to start dating again and agree to be matched up by Thea and Diggle for blind dates.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7117840

Repairs (one-shot): After Darhk's attack, Oliver visits the loft to make repairs for Felicity. *Really recommend this one* 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6991384

Just Breathe (one-shot): Felicity tries to comfort Oliver during the night despite them still being broken up.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7104349

I haven't really found any real multi-chap fics post s4 yet, but hopefully once we're deeper into summer and we get more details from SDCC, we'll get some. 

Thank you so very much!

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:55 AM, wonderwall said:

I'm enjoying this story...

Bound to You
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6602668/chapters/15105862

Felicity is a member of ARGUS and Oliver is a member of the Bratva and they meet while Felicity's on a mission in Russia where she gets caught counting cards. The author does a good job keeping the flashbacks interesting (she's a bit too mean w/ Laurel though but a lot of fanfic writers do this so...)

Thanks for the rec. I'm enjoying this one. Just started reading her other Olicity.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, kismet said:

I feel like they should have put Diggle to the right of OQ, that would have balanced it better for me. Put Curtis & TQ next to each other.

This (Thea and Mr. Terrific are fabulous together) and toss in Quentin somewhere, yeah? (I secretly love tiny Oliver way off to the side. Let him be the eye candy love interest who thinks it's All About Him.)

My favorite part of the rather hot mess that was the last few episodes was the work done by the older actors on the show. I didn't care about the calculator the first time around, but now I'd love to see as much of him as I can get. He and Mama Smock were hilarious and awesome, together and apart. Damien Dark was fun to watch if you ignored the holes in his storyline. Quentin was solid.

Curtis isn't played by an older actor, I know, but I thought he managed some real depth to the way he played his part. I enjoy him a ton.

(edited)
2 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Just read this. It's a super cute AU!

It was a cute fic but I found Felicity a bit OOC. I'm still not sure where the idea that Felicity is a giant klutz came from but I don't think canon backs it up and this fic seems to overdo it a bit. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HighHopes said:

It was a cute fic but I found Felicity a bit OOC. I'm still not sure where the idea that Felicity is a giant clutz came from but I don't think canon backs it up and this fic seems to overdo it a bit. 

Being a klutz and a constant babbler are two things I see in fics all the time that are not quite true. I'm trying to remember if there is a scene or line on the show that may have sparked the whole "Felicity is clumsy" thing.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HighHopes said:

It was a cute fic but I found Felicity a bit OOC. I'm still not sure where the idea that Felicity is a giant klutz came from but I don't think canon backs it up and this fic seems to overdo it a bit. 

Yeah, the clumsiness was over the top. And she somehow got his phone number off his adoption application (and managed to remotely secure his apartment and send him an email from himself) without realizing he was Oliver Queen? But it made me smile, so I won't be too critical about it, haha. Feel good fics are few and far between these days! 

• Love 4

I enjoyed that texting fic, too!  Though I should say, I didn't actually finish reading it (it was much longer than I realized when I started this morning!)

I know it was inspired by MachaWicket's epistolary experiment, "The Unbearable Hotness of Being" which was recced earlier and also revolved around Felicity finding herself in appearance-compromising, sometimes-clumsy-derived situations (as the real-life tumblr story was based on such situations).  I know the over-clumsy, over-babbling Felicity is basically an Arrowfic trope at this point, but I think this situation is a case of modeling.

13 hours ago, HighHopes said:

I was just happy when she started talking to him. Felicity being unable to talk is just incomprehensible. It was very cute, the format worked, but Felicity's character was more Felicity adjacent for most of the fic.

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Just read this. It's a super cute AU!

Super cute! Thanks for pointing it out! 

I love that writer; she's quite talented. For anyone who missed it and doesn't mind a little (or, you know, a LOT of) weirdness, I highly recommend her Monsters in the Dark.  I think it is so very delightful; I think it's one of my all-time favorite fics. http://archiveofourown.org/works/3160169/chapters/6860231 

I know some people hate OCs, but her other fic on that site, Silver, is entertaining, too.

ETA: thanks a lot, @wonderwall! Those are totally innocent GIFS, and yet when I scroll past your post I keep catching myself looking over my shoulder guiltily. LOL!

Edited by Ang
46 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I see magic in the tags and I'm not sure I'm ready for it after this season.

It's not that lind of magic, not really. it's a very well written fic with good characters and an interesting story.

• Love 1

Remarkable (http://archiveofourown.org/works/7011949/chapters/15967018) is really cutting a fast pace with updates. I really appreciate how quickly the author is updating. So far I find it very enjoyable. I did read in her profile that she plans to tackle s2 in the same way, and I wonder what it will look like. Because there is a part of me that thinks O/F being romantic sooner in s2 would be a lot fun.

However, it also makes me very nostalgic for s1 and so many of the great O/F interactions that were so small and yet so amazing. This fic is good but its lacking on so many quintessential scenes like the syringe scene, which were relationship building gold. I will continue to read the story because I like her take on events. However, I can safely say that even with her good tweaking of events - I'm really glad we got O/F the way it was given to us on the show in s1. It's was magical how it all happened. And I'm not sure I would have wanted to lose so many of those moments or relationship building blocks.

(edited)
1 hour ago, dtissagirl said:

If we assume Laurel had no idea what was going on with O/F between Slade kidnapping her and Sara dying -- which, considering no one ever told Laurel anything back then, and Laurel didn't really know Felicity AT ALL, and probably had no idea how completely in love with her Oliver was, it's not that much of a stretch -- it kinda makes sense. The last person Laurel knew for sure Oliver was into was Sara. When Sara died, opportunity stroke!

It also kinda makes it ~*symbolic*~ that just like Slade took the wrong woman, Laurel single white femaled the wrong woman.

Carrying over from the Relationships thread about whether Laurel knew about Oliver/Felicity during Season 3: The Other Woman is a great oneshot set after S2 that explores Laurel thinking that she can get Oliver back, and refusing to believe that Felicity means more to him. Also her view on the Slade situation. It's not Laurel bashing but paints a pretty realistic picture of Laurel's pov. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's not that lind of magic, not really. it's a very well written fic with good characters and an interesting story.

I believe you. It's actually why I'm tabling it for a later date. I don't want my current mood to color it unfairly.

3 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Carrying over from the Relationships thread about whether Laurel knew about Oliver/Felicity during Season 3: The Other Woman is a great oneshot set after S2 that explores Laurel thinking that she can get Oliver back, and refusing to believe that Felicity means more to him. Also her view on the Slade situation. It's not Laurel bashing but paints a pretty realistic picture of Laurel's pov. 

This story just reminded me of another one that I really enjoyed reading. It was inspired by Adele's "Someone Like You". Laurel goes off to train as BC and then comes back and finds Olicity has happened and has no idea they were even on each other's radar! Damn I need to find it! It was a good story!

Both those stories paint Laurel in a much more complex light than the show ever did. Although I will admit that the implication that Felicty would still be Oliver's assistant so many years down the line took me out of the second one.

• Love 2

That bit irritated me slightly, but the rest was good enough to overlook it, especially as she wasn't his assistant during the fic itself. (On that note I'd have loved the show to flip things around in Season 3 or 4, and have Oliver-perpetually-unemployed-college-drop-out-and-living-off-Felicity's-money, work as Felicity's assistant).