Type keyword(s) to search

Kim Richards: No Escape from Witch Mountain

• Start Topic

Correct me if I am wrong but "Public Intoxication" isn't limited to just alcohol but can include drugs as well, it is the same as DUI no longer refers to driving under the influence of just alcohol and why we rarely hear "Drunk and Disorderly" much any more. It is possible that she could be Court ordered for both alcohol and drugs during her probation IMO.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I think Kim is an equal opportunity offender - drugs, alcohol, prescription meds, pot, huffing... Whenever she's high, I have a hard time believing it's just one thing, ie. a glass of vodka. So it'll be interesting to see what comes out of the court proceedings.

• Love 3

Speaking from experience (not mine but people I know here in California) I can't imagine more than a fine stemming from a first offense misdemeanor public intoxication charge. The misdemeanor battery given the circumstances probably a fine and maybe community service.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I think Kim is an equal opportunity offender - drugs, alcohol, prescription meds, pot, huffing... Whenever she's high, I have a hard time believing it's just one thing, ie. a glass of vodka. So it'll be interesting to see what comes out of the court proceedings.

Public intoxication isn't punished for the most part.  A person gets arrested and booked and let out the next day and goes to court and usually gets a time served.  What Kim may or may have done or ingested is not really important-kicking the cop important. 

ETA Apparently biakbiak and I said the same thing at about the same time.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1

I agree with you guys because it was her first offense. I thought the second charge, especially coming on the heels of the first, would affect the plea bargain for the first, but I guess not? So that makes the second charge more interesting, especially if she was high. Do they keep saying no big deal, pay a fine, see you later...or does she ever have to face consequences?

• Love 4

zoeysmom, you seem to be the resident legal expert on the board.  How did you learn so much about legal matters?  Let's suppose Kim gets community service for her punishment.  If she is examined by a psychiatrist and deemed truly mentally ill, is community service (and other punishment) still given?  Or does the court have the option of remanding Kim (or anyone else) to a psychiatric institution until such time as she is cured?  Then, what happens?  Does Kim/snyone get released, all cured and well, and then have to perform community service for something she did while out of her mind?  Maybe that's too much to throw at you, but the punishment of insane people seems fascinating to me.  

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

I agree with you guys because it was her first offense. I thought the second charge, especially coming on the heels of the first, would affect the plea bargain for the first, but I guess not? So that makes the second charge more interesting, especially if she was high. Do they keep saying no big deal, pay a fine, see you later...or does she ever have to face consequences?

I hate to say it but because of the jail overcrowding these very minor misdemeanors are usually not given time and Kim has no serious criminal past and her age.  In most cases shoplifting involves a police officer writing a citation and notice to appear.  Kim had to go to jail and be bailed out.  Maybe because she had no address, was a ding a ling, or didn't seem quite right.  So technically Kim has already spent two days in jail for shoplifting and one day for her drunk in public.  (Most jurisdictions count the day you enter and once the clock hits midnight it is a new day.) 

I still think the family would be better off getting a conservatorship over her person and finances to get some control.  Hanging out with Monty is great but Kim eventually convinces herself that she is the caretaker and she is the one with so much responsibility and cracks. 

I fully expect Kim's next arrest to be vehicularly related.  There is just no way she should be driving around.  Perhaps hanging out with Monty there are competent drivers to take her where she needs to go.

• Love 7

Yes, zoeysmom, I agree with your analysis and conclusions. In addition, let's all be real: Kim is connected monetarily and socially through family and high profile expensive lawyering. What might be sentences for the average citizen is NOT going to occur for the denizens of the wealthy in "Hollywood" or LA. And, yes, as of NOW, Kim is a part of that echelon obviously due in the most major part to her family.

• Love 3

I must have been living under a rock because I was thinking that Kim's driving privileges were suspended after the BH Hotel incident.  That would make no sense, though, since the incident had nothing to do with her driving (in the eyes of the law, anyway).  Somebody wake me up.  It's too bad because it would reduce the fear of her maiming someone while driving.

• Love 3

I must have been living under a rock because I was thinking that Kim's driving privileges were suspended after the BH Hotel incident.  That would make no sense, though, since the incident had nothing to do with her driving (in the eyes of the law, anyway).  Somebody wake me up.  It's too bad because it would reduce the fear of her maiming someone while driving.

All the motoring public can hope for is she runs out of gas and can't drive or her car gets repo'd.

• Love 1

The rehabs in which Kim has stayed must not lock their doors.  When my brother's wife was a patient in a hospital setting, the mental ward was locked at all times.  The nurses could come and go as they pleased because they all had keys, but the patients couldn't get out.  I recall Lindsay Lohan skipping out at Betty Ford and enjoying a night of drinking with some others.  Now, we have Kim leaving whenever it pleases her.  Wouldn't you think, especially with her known record of leaving, that measures would be taken so she couldn't leave?  I wonder whether city-owned hospitals (where my SIL was) have different policies from privately-owned institutions.

• Love 1

The rehabs in which Kim has stayed must not lock their doors.  When my brother's wife was a patient in a hospital setting, the mental ward was locked at all times.  The nurses could come and go as they pleased because they all had keys, but the patients couldn't get out.  I recall Lindsay Lohan skipping out at Betty Ford and enjoying a night of drinking with some others.  Now, we have Kim leaving whenever it pleases her.  Wouldn't you think, especially with her known record of leaving, that measures would be taken so she couldn't leave?  I wonder whether city-owned hospitals (where my SIL was) have different policies from privately-owned institutions.

Kim is not under any kind of involuntary commitment order so she can leave against medical advice at any time.  I think all of Kim's stays of been in alcohol/drug treatment centers or dual diagnosis center.  Kim has been pretty up front that she considers her hospital and rehab stays a rest.

• Love 5

Some of you may remember me talking about my niece who we thought had 2 years clean. She relapased again in May. We just found out. My sister is in pieces.. This is the 3rd relapse. No idea what comes necy. Just goes to show you, what Kim is going through is not unusual. Relapse after relapse after relapse. 

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 6

JennymominFL, I hurt for you and your family and for your niece as well.  It must be so frustrating and sad when your hopes are high, to be disappointed once again.  I know that you all have a rough road ahead, but if it's any consolation, tomorrow is a new day.                                                                                                                                                                                

Edited by Lura
  • Love 6

http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/31/kim-richards-plea-deal-offered-beverly-hills-arrest-no-jail-time/#disqus_thread

So Kim was of course offered a plea deal on the Beverly Hills Hotel arrest, but I guess it's not final. Kim is trying to get out of the "labor" part of the deal by citing an alleged foot injury (please). Yes, she avoids jail, but who here thinks she'll complete all those AA meetings? Or even any or all of her community service? This is not ending any time soon, IMO.

• Love 5

http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/31/kim-richards-plea-deal-offered-beverly-hills-arrest-no-jail-time/#disqus_thread

So Kim was of course offered a plea deal on the Beverly Hills Hotel arrest, but I guess it's not final. Kim is trying to get out of the "labor" part of the deal by citing an alleged foot injury (please). Yes, she avoids jail, but who here thinks she'll complete all those AA meetings? Or even any or all of her community service? This is not ending any time soon, IMO.

Even if they change community labor to community service, I can't see Kim meeting any of those conditions.  Three years of probation means she'll have to report to a probation officer and be subjected to drug testing on a regular basis.  

I had to laugh at the foot injury claim.  I wonder if she hurt her foot kicking the cop.  LOL

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 11

Here's hoping that no Dr. signs off on her "injured" foot excuse! LOL ITA, I don't see her finishing/meeting any of these conditions either.

• Love 4

I had to laugh at the foot injury claim.  I wonder if she hurt her foot kicking the cop.  LOL

Good one!

Here's hoping that no Dr. signs off on her "injured" foot excuse! LOL ITA, I don't see her finishing/meeting any of these conditions either.

I think the Hiltons/Richards will have no trouble finding a doctor to sign whatever they need. But I agree with both of you re: the improbability of Kim meeting these conditions.

• Love 7

Some of you may remember me talking about my niece who we thought had 2 years clean. She relapased again in May. We just found out. My sister is in pieces.. This is the 3rd relapse. No idea what comes necy. Just goes to show you, what Kim is going through is not unusual. Relapse after relapse after relapse.

I am SO very sorry for your niece, you, and other family members. Great big PTV hug to y'all.

• Love 5

Unfortunately, there is no way to prove she is going to N/A or A/A meetings, unless something has changed in her area. The courts need to stop doing that unless, they are going to run the meetings themselves or through an actual treatment center. It's very sad situation.

• Love 2

I have mixed feelings about court ordered AA or other recovery type meetings. I don't know if someone gets the benefit if they are made to go, and I suspect Kim will show up drunk/high, and possibly belligerent, so I feel for the other attendees who are trying to work on staying clean/sober. Plus, she probably won't even go.

• Love 6

I have mixed feelings about court ordered AA or other recovery type meetings. I don't know if someone gets the benefit if they are made to go, and I suspect Kim will show up drunk/high, and possibly belligerent, so I feel for the other attendees who are trying to work on staying clean/sober. Plus, she probably won't even go.

I posted this on another tv show thread.  My feelings are, if one has to be court-ordered to go, they are not really wanting the help. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Having the courts order you to go is not admitting one has a problem. I know of one person who was ordered to attend a court-ordered treatment program. This person completed it and it actually helped them to get clean. The real work came afterwards where they chose to attend therapy and anger management therapy. So, in that case, I can see where being mandated to go actually helped someone with an addiction. I am sure it helps others as well. I just feel there are people, like Kim, who are in need of mental health treatment and intensive therapy for issues that go beyond addiction.

In our area, when one is ordered to attend AA, the meeting place is required to fill out a form for the attendee so they can present it to their probation officer and/or the courts upon request.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 8

I wonder if the court considered her recent shoplifting arrest when meting out this punishment or if they'll consider this arrest when they mete out punishment for the shoplifting?  Since she got probation and community labor (?) for this drunk and disorderly/assault maybe she'll get a suspended sentence for the shoplifting.  I'm surprised there wasn't some sort of financial penalty or fees assessed.  As for her ankle injury, she can be fitted with a boot and still make herself useful somewhere.  Personally, I'd like to see her picking up trash on the 405 for like two weeks.  If she actually did that I might regain some respect for her because it would mean she was taking at least a little responsibility for her actions. .  But she probably won't end up doing anything, she'll just Kimmie her way out of it.

• Love 3

Personally, I'd like to see her picking up trash on the 405 for like two weeks.

The way people drive on the 405, Kim would likely shit in her pants in the first minute. If I saw her on the freeway, I'd have to fight the urge to swerve.

• Love 3

Unfortunately, there is no way to prove she is going to N/A or A/A meetings, unless something has changed in her area. The courts need to stop doing that unless, they are going to run the meetings themselves or through an actual treatment center. It's very sad situation.

What do you mean? It's my understanding that if it's court-ordered, then the person in charge of the meeting has to sign something. 52 times!

• Love 4

Without knowing anything about the laws or the procedures in a case like this, it seems to me that the burden of responsibility would fall on the court to verify that Kim has met her responsibilities.  It doesn't seem right that the head of AA or Kim should have to deal with all that paperwork and record keeping.  Maybe the job is assigned to Kim's attorney's office?  Interesting question.

If Kim were sentenced to community service in any public capacity. I'll put my betting dollar on her pulling another disappearing act, her usual MO, and we'd be back to Square One again.  No, thank you!

You are given a card/sheet you can even download forms on the internet and its just the head of the meeting signing to say you were present, they typically give you a list.of meetings where they will sign for different reasons not all AA meetings will comply . You can also go to other approved groups/therapists not just AA. But it's not a crazy amount of paperwork for anyone even the person who is sentenced and complying with such basic paperwork is required of people completing their plea deal.

• Love 10

No surprises in her sentencing down to her having her attorney appear.  Not knowing what is wrong with her foot-other than she usually has it in her mouth, they may suspend community labor until after the first of the year.  I truly think Kim should be assigned to the SPCA for her service-cleaning animal cages would be a perfect resolve for her.  I hate to say it but I think we will see objection after objection as to why Kim should be excused from community labor.  I am hoping given Kim's rehab record and subsequent arrest she will be held to answer for the labor.

This is now the second hotel Kim has been banned from-she also is banned from the Waldorf Astoria.  How embarrassing for her children.

• Love 5

Re: the foot injury

"A photo documenting the injury was provided to lawyers to explain why she didn't appear in court, the source says, and a photo obtained by ET shows a cut extending down approximately one inch between her toes."

http://www.etonline.com/news/171008_kim_richards_skips_court_appearance_due_to_foot_injury/

So that's the injury?  A one inch cut?

I don't know what makes anyone connected with this sentence think that it is going to work out.  Kim has yet to complete any rehab, "voluntary" or otherwise.  There is no way she is going to attend 52 AA meetings.  No way she is going to complete community service, after all she is Kim Richards. 

• Love 1

Re: the foot injury

"A photo documenting the injury was provided to lawyers to explain why she didn't appear in court, the source says, and a photo obtained by ET shows a cut extending down approximately one inch between her toes."

http://www.etonline.com/news/171008_kim_richards_skips_court_appearance_due_to_foot_injury/

So that's the injury?  A one inch cut?

I don't know what makes anyone connected with this sentence think that it is going to work out.  Kim has yet to complete any rehab, "voluntary" or otherwise.  There is no way she is going to attend 52 AA meetings.  No way she is going to complete community service, after all she is Kim Richards. 

Well, by the time all the paper work is done, she will be beyond the 2 week Dr.s order to stay "off her feet" so she will be able to do the community "labor" part of her plea deal! LOL

ITA, I don't think Kim will complete all of the mandates for her plea deal.

• Love 2

30 days of labor is a big deal because she will actually have to be there eight hours at a stretch. Usually the charge the defendant about $50.00 a day for the privilege of working. I never expected Kim to go to court-the foot was a nice touch but she should be up and about in no time.  This is just part of the Kim persona-she does not want to go to court or be seen having to accept consequences.

I wonder what her excuse will be for the next court appearance?

• Love 5

I knew she had to be in court. You can send your atty to some of the hearings, but I'm pretty sure you have to attend your sentencing. Injured foot? I can't believe she got away with that. Actually, yes I can. I agree that showing up is too embarrassing for her, but I'm guessing she'll have to make an appearance on Sept. 14. And then there's the hearings for the Target arrest.

As for probation, does anyone know if this involves drug testing? And if she ever fails, or doesn't comply with the terms of the deal in other ways, does this mean jail?

This is now the second hotel Kim has been banned from-she also is banned from the Waldorf Astoria. How embarrassing for her children.

Really? What's the story?

• Love 3

What do you mean? It's my understanding that if it's court-ordered, then the person in charge of the meeting has to sign something. 52 times!

Sorry to say, it may not be so. When I worked in the SA field, at a Halfway House, a client (not the first, nor the last I am sure, so I'm not violating any confidentiality rules by giving this example) was court ordered into treatment. Shortly thereafter someone called to check up on the 'client'. Red flags? Of course. My response was to state I could not release confidential information to a voice on the telephone, but if they would send a written communication with the appropriate release of information signed by the person about whom they were requesting data, I would be happy to respond. Dead silence. Since this had happened before, I went on to tell the caller that it didn't matter who they were inquiring about - unless it was in writing AND (most importantly) with a release of specific information signed by the subject, I could not say/write/hint/whatever ANYTHING. Period. End of. I ended the silence by telling the caller that we (the agency I worked for) were not trying to be obstructionist/bad guys....but we MUST follow the letter of the law regarding confidentiality matters. I gave them a broad hint by stating that whenever a person is sentenced into treatment, it would be in the court's best interest to also be certain the person involved actually signed a release of all information (hell, even just whether or not they were present in treatment would be enough to tell any court if the perp was in line with their sentence) for any and all facilities the person could be in...easier for them, easier for us as we really did NOT enjoy the insinuations of being 'liberals in cahoots' with the person in question, but our hands were well and truly tied.

I would be surprised if there were any kimmie out there who does NOT know how very easy it is to work the system and avoid accountability....and how easy it is to dupe people into believing the accused/defendant will be answerable for whatever he/she has done.

The end of my story....a few weeks later we did receive a letter, but no authorization to release. They got a very politely worded response, denying any information, which was by law our obligation.

I know the letter of the law is as it is to serve and protect all of us, but sometimes I wish it were not so as so many people who crap on the system over and over and over and get away with it just laugh and consider themselves above it all.

I truly hope kimmie gets back what she has given out.

becauseIsaidso - Are we talking about the same thing? As biakbiak wrote in a post a few posts up, the defendant/addict (In this case, Kim) just has to bring a form to every AA meeting she attends, and get it signed, verifying her presence, and then submit them to her probation officer. If she doesn't, then she's violating her probation and the terms of her deal, and the probation officer writes it up and reports to the court. I'm sure there's a way to game the system, though - not going to meetings and forging the signature? Petitioning the court to allow Kim's "life coach" to provide her therapy? Or how about that acupuncturist?!
  • Love 4

I knew she had to be in court. You can send your atty to some of the hearings, but I'm pretty sure you have to attend your sentencing. Injured foot? I can't believe she got away with that. Actually, yes I can. I agree that showing up is too embarrassing for her, but I'm guessing she'll have to make an appearance on Sept. 14. And then there's the hearings for the Target arrest.

As for probation, does anyone know if this involves drug testing? And if she ever fails, or doesn't comply with the terms of the deal in other ways, does this mean jail?

Really? What's the story?

There does not appear to be a court order for drug testing so no she doesn't have to submit to drug testing.  Any idiot can have signatures saying she attended a meeting.  It is just not that hard to forge.  If Kim fails to complete her 30 days of community labor they can violate her probation and institute a jail sentence. 

Years ago when Kim was back visiting Kathy and Rick she was involved in a series of misbehaviors and banned from the hotel.  Kim's drinking behavior has been going on since before Kimberly was born.   

• Love 2

Any idiot can have signatures saying she attended a meeting.  It is just not that hard to forge. 

I would imagine it's a little more involved than just forging any ole signature. If only certain places are on the list, then I'm sure only certain names are associated with each place. If Kim fakes a signature (or two, or three, or 52), I think she'd get in more trouble than not showing up at all.

• Love 3

I would imagine it's a little more involved than just forging any ole signature. If only certain places are on the list, then I'm sure only certain names are associated with each place. If Kim fakes a signature (or two, or three, or 52), I think she'd get in more trouble than not showing up at all.

Yep. I believe they also stamp the paperwork to avoid the forging a signature. There is something more than just a signature.

As for drug testing, since her crime didn't involve drug use, there would be no reason for the judge to order testing for drugs during her probation.

This article mentions how AA works regarding court ordered meetings and the use of slips that need to be signed. Of course, all places are different. It also mentions how some AA groups are against signing court-ordered slips because it means the person is not there of their own free will or admitting they have a problem, something I mentioned above:

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/dui/a/How-Court-Ordered-Alcoholics-Anonymous-Works.htm

• Love 3
I truly think Kim should be assigned to the SPCA for her service-cleaning animal cages would be a perfect resolve for her.

Now, that is what I call creative thinking!   LOL  Perfect!

You know, though, seriously, if you were wearing stilettos and pointed toed shoes, and you kicked someone with full, drunken forces, you could do a lot of damage to the receiver of that blow.  No one can convince me that Kim's foot/ankle is bothering her with half the pain that the policewoman felt after Kim's wild and disgusting tantrum.  I think, in addition to her cleaning out cages, she should be sentenced to wearing well-padded sneakers for six months.  She'd look so unusual on the party circuit, all decked out in gown and sneakers.  If Martha Stewart could wear an ankle monitor, who's to say that Kim shouldn't wear sneaks?

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

Yep. I believe they also stamp the paperwork to avoid the forging a signature. There is something more than just a signature.

This article mentions how AA works regarding court ordered meetings and the use of slips that need to be signed. Of course, all places are different. It also mentions how some AA groups are against signing court-ordered slips because it means the person is not there of their own free will or admitting they have a problem, something I mentioned above:

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/dui/a/How-Court-Ordered-Alcoholics-Anonymous-Works.htm

Thanks for the link. Interesting. A stamp makes sense, too.

Who here thinks Kim will make it to a few, let alone 52?!

As for drug testing, since her crime didn't involve drug use, there would be no reason for the judge to order testing for drugs during her probation.

Alcohol is a drug. Plus, there was supposedly drugs in her system (besides alcohol) at the time of her arrest. Remember huffing?

• Love 1

Thanks for the link. Interesting. A stamp makes sense, too.

Who here thinks Kim will make it to a few, let alone 52?!

Alcohol is a drug. Plus, there was supposedly drugs in her system (besides alcohol) at the time of her arrest. Remember huffing?

Yep, alcohol is a drug, but she wasn't charged with drunk driving, which is when most courts order testing or when the defendant has a history of alcohol-related crimes.

I remember the huffing and the claims of alleged drugs in her system, but what became of the testing they did? Was there sufficient proof of drug use and did she plea to having ingested any drugs?  I am too lazy to check.

Yep, alcohol is a drug, but she wasn't charged with drunk driving, which is when most courts order testing or when the defendant has a history of alcohol-related crimes.

I remember the huffing and the claims of alleged drugs in her system, but what became of the testing they did? Was there sufficient proof of drug use and did she plea to having ingested any drugs?  I am too lazy to check.

Yes, that's a good point (re: drunk driving), but it was an alcohol-related charge, and they did order AA meetings, so I don't understand how she isn't being tested for drugs or alcohol while on probation. Do the courts wait for a DUI or accident to happen to mandate such a thing? It makes me angry to think she'll be behind a wheel.

As for the reported drugs in her system, I have no idea what happened to that. Nothing I read about the plea deal mentioned it. There might be another hearing on Sept. 14. Maybe more will come out.

• Love 1

I posted this on another tv show thread. My feelings are, if one has to be court-ordered to go, they are not really wanting the help. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Having the courts order you to go is not admitting one has a problem. I know of one person who was ordered to attend a court-ordered treatment program. This person completed it and it actually helped them to get clean. The real work came afterwards where they chose to attend therapy and anger management therapy. So, in that case, I can see where being mandated to go actually helped someone with an addiction. I am sure it helps others as well. I just feel there are people, like Kim, who are in need of mental health treatment and intensive therapy for issues that go beyond addiction.

In our area, when one is ordered to attend AA, the meeting place is required to fill out a form for the attendee so they can present it to their probation officer and/or the courts upon request.

That's standard practice to fill out the form, unfortunately, it's very easy to fill the form out, sign it yourself or have a friend fill it out and sign it. There is no way a probation officer or a court can actually prove that you went to any meetings.

Even if one is not ready sometimes hearing others speak, can give an addict the strength to start changing which is why I keep hoping they stop sending people to meetings and start sending them to group therapy or something where they to actually have to sign in.

• Love 2

There isn't just one person running the meeting, it could be anyone who showed up that day with 30 or more days clean.Remember this is an anonymous program. There is no way to prove the person was there or who was running the meeting. You can get a list of meetings addresses and times they started on-line, then you or an enabler fills out the form the P.O or court gave you.

Never seen or heard of any stamps being used in N/A or A/A

Edited by Lisin