Type keyword(s) to search

The Colbert Report in the Media

Madeleine Davies over at Jezebel gives some scoop on what it was like to be a TCR intern.

Money/aww quote:

It was often said that the joy economy at Colbert was a trickle-down economy. Everyone was enthusiastic because the boss was enthusiastic. Everyone worked hard because the boss worked hard.

• Love 1

I really like this interview with Allison Silverman, TCR's first head writer. This anecdote from the first episode is pretty terrific:

Also on that first episode was a story about gun rights and Florida’s “stand your ground” law. Stephen went after James Brady, criticizing him for being a gun-control advocate. Brady, of course, survived a shot in the head during the [March 30, 1981 assassination] attempt on President Reagan. Even though we were actively trying to set up the character of Stephen as a well-intentioned, poorly informed idiot, going after James Brady our very first night was nerve-racking. It felt like a test of how far we could go. The next day the show got a fax from Brady that said, “You lily-livered Italian-suited four-eyed Jon Stewart wannabe. You’ll be crying in your cravat when I’m through. You want a piece of me? DO YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?” I kept that fax and looked at it when I worked on each day’s script. Partly because I suddenly had a comedy crush on James Brady, but also because it meant that the show could go pretty far and people would still be willing to play.

• Love 2

Katie Couric wrote an article about the final show and what happened behind the scenes. That link includes a nice video in which she talks to a lot of the guests. My favourite quote from the article:

The takeaway from last night is that Stephen Colbert deserves every bit of success that has come his way. He's brilliant and funny and brilliantly funny, but what comes shining through … in seemingly all aspects of his life — his devotion to his family, his appreciation of his colleagues and extreme bro love for Jon Stewart, his graciousness with every guest — is his sheer decency.

In fact, on his own big night, he took center stage after the show to thank all his guests and team. Stephen said to the crowd gathered around him, "You gave me so much to care about. I'm not a journalist, but you all made me explorers of other people's ideas."

Edited by purist

That was a nice article she wrote. I should have stopped there, but I started reading the comments. It's like a Bat signal went out to all the right-wingers to come shit on Colbert, the praise for him, and his fans.

• Love 1

That was a nice article she wrote. I should have stopped there, but I started reading the comments. It's like a Bat signal went out to all the right-wingers to come shit on Colbert, the praise for him, and his fans.

Well it was from Yahoo, so there is to be very aggressive and very ignorant right wingers coming in and shitting on everything they don't like, like Stephen.

Katie Couric wrote an article about the final show and what happened behind the scenes. That link includes a nice video in which she talks to a lot of the guests. My favourite quote from the article:

Thanks for the link to this article. So there was no teleprompter with the lyrics. This explains why a few seemed to stumble over the words.

Samantha Powers was dancing up a storm and looked so at ease that I would not have believed that she was nervous before hand.

Looking at the guest list, I did not see Mikhail Baryshnikov on stage. Maybe he could not attend.

Edited by SimoneS

Well it was from Yahoo, so there is to be very aggressive and very ignorant right wingers coming in and shitting on everything they don't like, like Stephen.

What's with Yahoo? My BIL is a right-winger, and from time to time he'll say how liberal Yahoo is. 

Thanks for the link to this article. So there was no teleprompter with the lyrics. This explains why a few seemed to stumble over the words.

When they have the shot where they pan over to the audience, you can see the lyrics on the teleprompter.  Maybe Couric just didn't see it? Or it was just facing the Stephen group?

• Love 1

I would have to watch the footage again but I think when they showed the small groups singing (or trying to), those parts were taped at a different time than the big group singing, maybe before the audience came in, and then when they taped the whole thing they had the lyrics on the prompter.

At least that's how it looked like to me when I saw it. I was a little distracted by the bad lip-syncing and by trying to identify who was who

• Love 1

One last Emmy nom for the Report:

Outstanding Variety Talk Series
The Colbert Report, Comedy Central
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart, Comedy Central
Jimmy Kimmel Live!, ABC
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver, HBO
The Late Show With David Letterman, CBS
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, NBC

• Love 1

God help us if Jimmy Fallon wins this!

I might quit TV if he does.

Seems like the "emotional" choice would probably be to give it to Letterman--since technically I suppose Stewart will qualify for next year. Or maybe Letterman would too. I don't remember how many episodes have to be when.

Colbert Report might be denied, despite being 100% over last year, mostly because Stephen is going on for sure in another project, whereas Letterman and Stewart... we don't know (although in the case of Letterman I think most people are fairly certain he's out of showbiz for good, and with Stewart not so much...)

I'd love it if Oliver won though.  It would make a real statement that something new can take the award.

(and deserve it, unlike Fallon, who wouldn't...)