Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Candyman

Jackie has to act quickly when she finds out she will have to provide a urine sample as part of a DEA investigation. Kevin and Mia begin making wedding plans. Coop and Carrie find a way of getting around their no sex in hospital rule.

Promo:

Clips:

Hmmmm, so why didn't Jackie submit to the urine test then or the next day, now that she has a valid excuse for a positive opiate test?

Akalitus said something to the effect, 'We'll hold off for a few weeks..."  But since Jackie has no intention of quitting, she'll never be able to test clean.

Or, why am I looking for logic?

• Love 2

Akalitus said something to the effect, 'We'll hold off for a few weeks..."  But since Jackie has no intention of quitting, she'll never be able to test clean.

I wonder if Akalitus has a hunch that Jackie is using, and she's giving her time to briefly clean up her act to pass the test. I just don't know anymore. Didn't Akalitus start off in the beginning of the series as a no nonsense type of character? Someone that Jackie butted heads with from time to time. When did they depart from writing her that way?

I think Akalitus knows something is up. She also knows something is up with Antoinette. When they all broke out singing the Candyman song and they all knew the lyrics and the random lady giving an ohhhh or whatever, my eyes were rolled to the back of my head. 

• Love 2

When they all broke out singing the Candyman song and they all knew the lyrics and the random lady giving an ohhhh or whatever, my eyes were rolled to the back of my head. 

I was surprised that it seemed the majority of people in the chapel seemed so familiar with the song. I did laugh when that lady chimed in with a 'soulful' oh because I wondered where that came from and thought there was going to be more to her contribution. A 'touching' moment that left me feeling nothing for a character I didn't know existed.

• Love 1

As soon as Coop started reciting the lyrics, I thought oh, he is going the corniest way possible. I wasn't surprised that Zoe was the first to sing along.

This episode showed just how far Jackie is willing to go. She would deliberately let someone run her foot over so she could find a legit way to get drugs and an excuse not to take the drug test. The sad thing is that this isn't even her rock bottom.

• Love 2

I was so sure that when the Candyman's son was passing out people's favorite treats that he would hand Jackie a plate with crushed up pills, made into lines and a straw.

It was so odd seeing Grace being kind to Frank's sons. Way to go, Frank. You just insist on digging deeper into Jackie's black hole. You need to run!

Akalitus is much too smart to play into Jackie's scheme. Right?

• Love 1

I thought it was hilarious when Coop started a dramatic reading of The Candy Man, but once everyone started singing and they knew all the words and all the verses, it got stupid. It was a joke they took too far and then ruined.

Also stupid? The vendor's son knowing who everyone was without ever having met them. What, did his father show him pictures of all his customers and what they liked to buy? That was absurd.

Also dumb: Gloria. She's a nurse for God's sake, she knows the score. No way someone in N/A gets pain killers unless they've just had major surgery or something. Jackie can take Ibuprofen for broken toes, or they could have given her a cortisone shot or something. This was definitely a case where they had to dumb down a character in order to make the plot work, because if Jackie had gone to Coop and gotten a legitimate prescription for Oxy (or whatever it was) like she suggested to Gloria in the first place, there would have been no need for all this angst over the mandatory drug testing.

• Love 2

Who is playing Helen, the alchoholic nun? I know I've seen her before, and it's driving me batty. IMDB is being no help to me on this.

A Boston Gal, being a total Kate & Allie freak, I immediately recognized her as 'Catherine' who ended up being 'Louis's' girlfriend. If you watched the show, Louis was a special needs young man who became friends initially with Chip and then was sort of adopted by the whole family. I never missed this show when it was on and had VHS tapes for years before getting the series on DVD. Hope this helps!

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked this one a lot. It reminded me of the earlier seasons of Nurse Jackie, when the original showrunner was still around. And I loved the woman making the breast-grabbing gesture when she met Coop.

A few questions/complaints, though.

Are we supposed to know who Jackie was calling at the end, about going to the wedding? Or is that intended as a cliffhanger?

And why is Jackie's sponsor so convinced that Jackie is using again? Is it just because Jackie said she wanted to try going it alone? (I can understand the sponsor being suspicious of that behavior, but she's seriously considering going to Jackie's boss over that?)

And I agree with iMonrey that it was incredibly silly that the newsstand guy's son would have the physical descriptions and candy choices of his father's customers committed to memory.

Hmmmm, so why didn't Jackie submit to the urine test then or the next day, now that she has a valid excuse for a positive opiate test?

Or, why am I looking for logic?

Akalitus wouldn't be able to explain to the authorities why Jackie tested positive - being as Jackie didn't have an actual prescription.

Although that doesn't tell us how she'd explain why Jackie was allowed to take her test weeks later than everyone else!

My fanwank is that Akalitus knows that if she says, "This one nurse is taking pain meds, so let's let her wait a few weeks," that will seem reasonable, and no one is likely to demand to see the nurse's prescription (so long as she eventually tests clean.)

Whereas if one of the nurses actually tests positive, then the authorities would really look into it, and demand proof of her having a prescription.

Edited by Blakeston

I assume the point of the son knowing everyone's candy was to imply the father went home and talked about them every day and yet they didn't even know his name, so caught up in their own lives.

I didn't get why Jackie was sobbing when she talked at the funeral. Huh?

I also don't know how I've gone from loving Frank to hating him in such a short period of time. I was hoping they were done last week. GO AWAY.

IIRC didn't the Candyman say he would sometimes work the counter for his father? Maybe that's how he recognized people, and then his father had mentioned more about them, like what they bought.

This episode showed just how far Jackie is willing to go. She would deliberately let someone run her foot over so she could find a legit way to get drugs and an excuse not to take the drug test.

This didn't surprise me because I remember in the first season she hit her finger with a hammer just to explain why her wedding ring was cut off.

Carrie's response to and interaction with the nun's lice problem was hilarious. Is she just horny and doesn't like rejection, or does she really like Coop?

If we were supposed to know who Jackie called to invite to the wedding, I'm clueless. My guess is Eddie because a) it's a slam at Kevin, and b) she may be jealous of Antoinette and Eddie.

• Love 1

So the damn Candyman song is stuck in my head.  I also remember that when the song was out there was discussion that Candyman = drug dealer.

So the damn Candyman song is stuck in my head.  I also remember that when the song was out there was discussion that Candyman = drug dealer.

(edited)

I'm guessing the wedding invitation call was to Zoey. No real reason for the hunch why the writers would do that, except that it would mess up everyone's guess that the call reveals who Jackie really wants to date. :)

Edited by A Boston Gal

I think it's the guy bobby carnavale plays. Can't remember his name. The dad of the kid from rehab who died. The one she was fucking when grace was trying to call her for rescue.

(edited)

I thought maybe she called the drug dealer guy who she hooked up with at the beginning of this season. Even though she owes him money and that ended very badly. It just seems like something Jackie would do to self-sabotage.

Edited by SeattleSunshine

IIRC didn't the Candyman say he would sometimes work the counter for his father? Maybe that's how he recognized people, and then his father had mentioned more about them, like what they bought.

No, the guy's son didn't say anything about working the counter for his father.

I get that what they were going for was "He cared so much about these people who didn't bother to learn his name" - but it's downright creepy that he would give his son that much information. He would need to give his son very detailed physical descriptions of these people, for him to be able to identify them on sight.

No, the guy's son didn't say anything about working the counter for his father.

I get that what they were going for was "He cared so much about these people who didn't bother to learn his name" - but it's downright creepy that he would give his son that much information. He would need to give his son very detailed physical descriptions of these people, for him to be able to identify them on sight.

It could work for those who have a very distinctive look, like Thor or maybe even Zoe, because of her scrubs, but the whole staff? Yeah, not plausible.