Type keyword(s) to search

The Soup - General Discussion

Chip
  • Start Topic

I too am going to miss this show.  I get the feeling that the show had been falling off a bit the last few months because they were in discussions about cancelling it.  This was a great send off with the phone bank of random celebrities, mankini through the years, and the top ten clips with all of the other things thrown in.  

Not to mention Joel's hairline through the years.  What's going on, buddy? Plugs? Hair "system"? Some combination of the two?  

My favorite parts were (in no particular order), the Clip Of The Week, aka, The LouOOOOOOOO Intro Montage, putting a face to the voice of the "Here's the guy who watches it all for you - Joel McHale" girl (likewise the "So meaty" girl last week), and that they brought out all the staffers at the very end.  I had a feeling "Kiss my ASS!" was going to be the number one clip; not sure that it really was the best choice (it was kind of watered down by Joel having to give it that softball intro so it wouldn't seem too disrespectful), but I can't think of one more deserving, so well done.

Man, I'm going to miss this show.  I go all the way back to Greg Kinnear and "Talk Soup" with the spinning spoons, and every host and iteration of the show has been appointment television for me.  It's been fun seeing Joel grow as a host and succeed outside this version, but now there's going to be a hole in my DVR.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2

Thanks to Joel whenever I see Kim Kardashian I think she’s famous for “having  a big ass and a sex tape”.

Me too! My favorite Kardashian moment would have to be when Kris thought it would be a good idea to buy chickens and Joel said it was because she wanted to feed Kim's big ass some fresh eggs. He cracked up and I watched it over and over.

I totally forgot about Air Force Amy. I knew she said something hilarious at the end so I kept waiting and when she dropped the "it's only about an hour away" line I died. I'm glad I got to see that one more time.

I nearly cried tears of joy when my beloved clip favorites "Chicken Tetrazzini" and "Donkedooballs" were shown! Those are classics.

But "Kiss my ASS!" will never stop being funny, so that was the perfect choice for best clip ever.

I too grew up watching "Talk Soup" from Greg Kinnear's era onwards, so it is tough to see this show finally cancelled, despite how lame it's gotten the past several years.

I keep hoping that maybe it'll be revised in some fashion in a few years, much like it evolved from "Talk Soup" to "The Soup" over the years. It just irks me to know that The Kardashians still have their crappyassed show on air yet this show gets the shaft---life just ain't fair.

• Love 2

I'm sad. I really hope somebody gives Joel another show. He's really funny and one of the things I love most about him is his refusal to take himself seriously- there's an edge to him that I think is missing from other comedians out there right now. His utter lack of sentiment is refreshing.

• Love 2

Not to mention Joel's hairline through the years.  What's going on, buddy? Plugs? Hair "system"? Some combination of the two?  

Oh my gosh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was riveted by Joel's hair in the clips. He had some serious receding hairline a few years ago so he must have done something. (My guess: a hair transplant. Fun fact: one of my best friends' ex-husband used to go to the same hair clinic as Joe Biden.)

Best part of the finale for me was hearing Joel's comments about the Kardashians: "big ass and a sex tape" and "dead behind the eyes sisters," since apparently E! didn't let him say those things after the Ks became their biggest stars. So it was a nice F you to the network as well.

• Love 1

First off I will greatly miss this show, i remember Talk Soup days, didn't watch too much after Greg left (mainly due to not having the channel) and picked it back up as The Soup right around the time I got married (and made my husband watch it also). Worse part for me is hearing pop culture news and my first thought is "man can't wait to see what Joel does with this information this week" just to realize.....there's not going to be a soup this week.....or ever......

• Love 1

I'm sad. I really hope somebody gives Joel another show. He's really funny and one of the things I love most about him is his refusal to take himself seriously- there's an edge to him that I think is missing from other comedians out there right now. His utter lack of sentiment is refreshing.

Conventional wisdom is that he's looking to focus more on movies and higher profile television projects, and IIRC he said something at the end to the effect of we will still be seeing him.  Sell-out.  (J/K, I'm happy for whatever success he achieves - I just hope he isn't pulling a Shelly Long or, and now I'm really dating myself, McLean Stevenson).

• Love 1

I just caught an episode. I had no clue it was back! It was OK, but it's just not the same without Joel. The new host just laughs at her comments too much, whereas Joel's snarky disgust just worked better. I wonder if he was asked and turned it down, or they just wanted someone new?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/26/2020 at 10:08 PM, CrazyDog said:

I just caught an episode. I had no clue it was back! It was OK, but it's just not the same without Joel. The new host just laughs at her comments too much, whereas Joel's snarky disgust just worked better. I wonder if he was asked and turned it down, or they just wanted someone new?

She has to laugh at her own comments because no one else is.  You'd think they'd cue the studio audience to laugh - I'm sure they're all E! employees.

I think Joel's too big now to do The Soup.  Community was a hit, The Great Indoors not so much but still a starring role, and he's done a ton of TV and movie guest star appearances   I think going back to hosting "a basic cable clip show" (as he used to call it), would be a career back step.

As I said in another forum though, watching this reboot just reminds me how much I miss him here - the new host seems to be trying, but overall the show just isn't as good.  Or maybe pop culture has declined since the days of Spaghetti Cat, LouOOOOOO, and "Kiss My ASS!!".

• Love 2

Oh, Spaghetti Cat! Or Stains the cupcake dog...I felt so bad for the dog, but that clip was hilarious. There are so many shows that need The Soup treatment.

Stay out of it, Nick Lachey!

• Love 5

This weeks new episode had to be the worst I have ever seen. The only thing worse than the host and the writers was that woman they had on to talk about the 90 day fiancé show. Top to bottom dreadfull

• Love 1

So (assuming anyone else in the world is watching this dumpster fire), who caught the cutaways to Joel in the To Tell The Truth clip on the 8/5/20 episode? 

Kinda meta, but not acknowledged - you'd think the writers could have come up with something humorous. Then again, based on what I've seen in this season, probably not.

At least TPTB are making the crew chuckle so the host isn't playing to total silence.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1

I probably never would have known the show had returned if there hadn't been a commercial that Jade was doing for some Comcast summer camp thing.  They mentioned The Soup in the ad eventually, but I actually did both recognize her and remember her name before that, and then went to see if there were any new episodes.  I usually watch on demand at some point if there is nothing else on.  I wish they could at least find some funnier clips, as that would be something even if the jokes they wrote to go with them were still bad.

• Love 2

9/23/20 Ep - As a cat daddy myself, I hope the cat mommy on American Ninja Warrior did well, if not win.  But no way was that kitty actually watching her.  

Nice to see Willie's still kickin'.  Long may he wave.

I blew past the Love Island/baby bird feeding clip so quick my computer froze up.  I knew what that was about.

"Hollywood legend" Drew Barrymore? Okay....sure, why not.

That is all.

10/14/20 episode:  Was that Lou in the host's lap during the Lifetime Acting bit?  I hope so.  They only went off the air 5-ish years ago, and with his white muzzle, he looked like he might be the right age.  LouOOOOOOO!!!

I tried to call this show up on demand last Sunday to watch that week's episode, only to find that there weren't any more episodes.  I didn't find anything that said the show is cancelled, but apparently it is at least done for the season.  They didn't have gaps between "seasons" in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come back.  It was rather underwhelming in spite of Jade's best efforts, but it seems like E! is just in a lot of trouble overall ratings-wise.

• Useful 3