Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

I'm really curious about how this whole thing is going to turn out. They've already asked for money, but based on the project timeline, the script isn't even written yet, and isn't scheduled to be finished until July. The project notes do indicate that everyone is chipping in their own money, but Robbie was really vague about the whole thing (he says because he doesn't want to give too much away, but it seems like at this point there isn't much *to* give away), and Stephen's quote kind of makes it seem like even with the money, completion of the project isn't a sure thing. I hope they really thought it out, and that any money needed over what they've raised comes out of their own pockets, and that they don't come back and ask fans for more.

I also would've loved to have been in the room when they were discussing what the $25k perk should be.

• Love 3

I also would've loved to have been in the room when they were discussing what the $25k perk should be.

*snort*

I don't know why they went the indie route with this kind of movie. I know nothing about the movie making process, but this seems a weird choice.

And yeah, they are being very smart with the fanbase. At least both of them do interact with fans a lot, makes it seem less like exploitation.

• Love 1

I was another that gave money to the Veronica Mars movie. However that was not an actor vanity project it was an already established fan loved show that we wanted to see more of. 

Actors asking for money for a movie that couldn't get actual backers I do take a little issue with. I know people will pay and that's entirely up to them, it's just not something I'd do.  

• Love 2

I just hope Italia, or some other actress, has a significant role in this because so far it looks like what if fratboys ate District 9 and vomited Code 8.

She is listed under the video on Youtube.

• Love 1

I contribute to a ton of indie music crowdfunding, so I don't necessarily have a problem with vanity projects -- if it's an artist I like, and I have the funds to donate, I'll gladly do it. I just need to WANT to consume the finished product.

This movie doesn't make my pockets tingle, though.

• Love 6

Well, it seems like whenever he puts a call out people are happy to give money for whatever he wants them to. Charity (which is great), his Nocking Point ventures, con experiences, now a movie. I hope he uses that power judiciously and is careful about what he asks for.

• Love 5

I gave to the Veronica Mars movie and I didn't even watch the show... I just thought it was a cool idea and was secretly hoping that people would get it together and do something similar for Chuck if VM was a success. Still waiting :/

I have no problem with the Amells asking for money for a vanity project, but it has to be interesting and worth my investment for me to give my $. I'm not even sure watching the clip for free gave a quality return on my time investment. So I will pass, but if the Amells can make their money and put out their movie, I hope everyone gets from it what they wanted.

• Love 5
I gave to the Veronica Mars movie and I didn't even watch the show...

Awww, you're so sweet! That movie was such a nice gift to fans (I'm one of them), but I didn't contribute (I was in dire straits financially at that time), so I feel like I have to thank you particularly.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 5

I've seen a couple of these go bad so I am always a bit weary. This one is a bit weird because they're taking all of the money even if they don't hit the goal, so there's no way that backers could get the money back even if there's not going to be a finished product. The amount they want to raise is pretty low for a full length movie set in the future with people with powers and robots, particularly because they'll only actually be spending 140000 on the production of the film. And SA looks really stupid in that hat. 

I hope that they're able to stick with their production times, if only for the sake of the people backing them, but movies (especially indie one) don't tend to do so. 

• Love 3

Actors asking for money for a movie that couldn't get actual backers I do take a little issue with. I know people will pay and that's entirely up to them, it's just not something I'd do.  

So is that the reason? My first thought was, nobody wanted to do it and now they are exploiting fans, but I thought I was off-base.

And, it's not even the asking in itself that bothers me, but..aren't there enough robot movies out there? I was much more tempted to give money to that Jesse L Williams, Rick Cosnett, Carlos Valdes project.

So is that the reason? My first thought was, nobody wanted to do it and now they are exploiting fans, but I thought I was off-base.

I think that anyone who believes that attendance at their birthday party (even with the vague promise of a fun-filled day attached) is worth a $25k buy in is exploiting fans at least a little bit.

• Love 4

I think that anyone who believes that attendance at their birthday party (even with the vague promise of a fun-filled day attached) is worth a $25k buy in is exploiting fans at least a little bit.

Oh, there's exploitation for sure - my point was more, did they go with crowdfunding because anyone else refused them?

The best part of those 25k is that you are supposed to put in an extra $1000 for flight fare, if you are not from the US.  Hahaha

• Love 1

If I had FU money, I would totally do it. I don't, though. What I really want to do is race go karts with Sung Kang because I love him. But I'm not doing that either.

• Love 1

If I think about all the things they could raise money for with fans who follow them every time they have a new idea I can't help but shake my head. They are rich already and this is such in bad taste IMO.

Also selling your birthday party for 25k? Nothing is off limits anymore.

• Love 1

If I had FU money, I would totally do it. I don't, though.

If that experience is worth $25k to someone, and they can afford it, then I hope they have the time of their life. It's the valuation of that experience at such a ridiculous price point that turns me off.

• Love 5

If they could get studio backers they wouldn't need to ask fans for money.

I think catrox is asking if they even tried to get this film made traditionally, or if they went straight to crowdfunding. I don't think we'll ever know, because even if they were turned down, I doubt any of them would ever admit to it.

• Love 1

If they could have done this through traditional means, they probably would have. The writer and director have basically done a short together as promo for a video game, prior to this short. That's not enough to get a studio, or even smart individual investors, to back you on a feature. Especially not if you're trying to hand-pick your cast.

$200k seems very low to me for the scope of what they're proposing. So it's possible that they have something lined up--like the Veronica Mars movie did with WB (obviously a very different scenario)--where if they could raise this amount, someone would chip in the rest. But...that "someone" could just be Robbie and Stephen, for all I know.

I too would have been more likely to give to the RC/CV/JLW movie, for a few reasons. One, I find them all more appealing off-screen presences than SA or RA, and I don't think they make as many "asks" from their fans. Two, their aspirations seemed in line with a low budget, so it would be more likely that the movie would turn out well. Three, because it wasn't special-effects based, the story was probably the most important thing, where here, it seems like a complete afterthought.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 4

And, it's not even the asking in itself that bothers me, but..aren't there enough robot movies out there? I was much more tempted to give money to that Jesse L Williams, Rick Cosnett, Carlos Valdes project.

It could very well be that they went right to crowd funding as a way to stay in charge of a project.  As pointed out, picking your dream cast of your friends and family is a luxury usually abandoned when studios get involved. 

• Love 2

If they could get studio backers they wouldn't need to ask fans for money.

I think catrox is asking if they even tried to get this film made traditionally, or if they went straight to crowdfunding. I don't think we'll ever know, because even if they were turned down, I doubt any of them would ever admit to it.

I was thinking maybe they didn't bother with traditional funding because they wanted as much control over the product as possible. Isn't that way some artists do crowdfunding in the first place? The creative control is a big factor?

The story on the indiegogo page indicates that they're contributing some of their own money - how much, they of course don't say. And I wonder if anything over and above the $200k goal increases the overall budget, or decreases the amount of their own money that they're contributing.

I don't see much difference between this and something like Veronica Mars. One you are supporting characters you love and the other actors and creatives you want to see get their project done/done the way they want. Though Imo Stephen seems more "lets use his resources" than an actual creative or star. Which is why I'm not going to help fund. I did join in support to help JB make his album though.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

I find it different if fans are begging for a movie to get made and they go this is the only way it will happen. Over a movie a celebrity wants funded either because they can't get studio backing or they just want to hire their friends and family. However to each their own, if people want to give them money they can it's their money. It's just not something I would spend my money on. 

• Love 5

So they released the short film for Code 8

And IMO it's pretty cool and I would watch more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqO90q0WZ0M&feature=youtu.be

Got around to watching it. Yeah, it was pretty well made. I do like the drones dropping the robot police off. RA seemed to be doing a better job of acting than I remember. They introduce the premise well but who knows what the plot will turn out to be which is what would determine if I'd want to see it full length. Though I am a bit of a completist so I might just have to.

• Love 1

Got around to watching it. Yeah, it was pretty well made. I do like the drones dropping the robot police off. RA seemed to be doing a better job of acting than I remember. They introduce the premise well but who knows what the plot will turn out to be which is what would determine if I'd want to see it full length. Though I am a bit of a completist so I might just have to.

Agreed. It does look good and I am kinda interested in the premise of the movie. Still not going to donate to this project, though. Which doesn't really matter since they've already reached and gone over their goal already. Heh.

• Love 1

Agreed. It does look good and I am kinda interested in the premise of the movie. Still not going to donate to this project, though. Which doesn't really matter since they've already reached and gone over their goal already. Heh.

I'm sure they would take your money anyway :)

• Love 1

I've always like Robbie Amell. I think he's a decent actor.  I'm really curious how this will go.  Of course, I'm not curious enough to give them my money beforehand but that's because I'm between jobs and looking so there's that

Side-by-side comparison (just for fun)...

EBR as bride in in Nickelback's "Never Gonna be Alone" music video (Nov. 11, 2009):

(courtesy of Roadrunner Records)

EBR as bride in Arrow 416: Broken Hearts (Mar. 23, 2016):

(courtesy of Olicity Queen) Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2