Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Hollywood Calling!

• Start Topic

Wasn't there someone at TWOP who said that they actually sat next to Alton on an airplane and, to the extent that Alton would talk, learned that that relationship had fractured completely?

That was me, and I commented on this in the Food Network Star Alums discussion. :)

I'm not sure who a contender is at this point, as some of them did well on the initial 30 second intro, then bombed in the Hollywood premiere segment, or vice versa.

Nicole and her fish story reminds me of Michelle from Maine. I'm not sure you can carve a TV career out of fish. I like Loreal, but she needs to stop jiggling. I think she and Aryen, Christopher and possibly Chris will be contenders. Lenny, I'm on the fence about. His chuckwagon theme might play well on TV if he looses the sequins and they shoot his show outdoors. Then again, seeing him in sequins riding up on a horse at the start of each show might be just kitchy enough for FN.

Suzy looked bored to tears.

As for who I didn't like... Pageant Girl can go any time. She is too over the top, but since Bobby is giving her a second chance, who knows. Donna deserved to go. Her food wasn't that great (according to those who tasted it) and she is like a talking windmill. A cartoon. And as soon as Giada told her healthy food would never fly, I knew she was dead in the water.

Most of these people act like they didn't know they were going to be asked questions or have to describe themselves. Do they not watch this show? And who cooks in high heels? On a hard concrete studio floor?

Bobby Flay  - who, I must acknowledge, I absolutely love - has acknowledged many times that he would not have survived/won a competition like this when he was starting out at FN. He also, a season or two ago, defended another mentor's protege (I think it was one of Alton's) by saying her on-camera presentation was far better than anything he did early on,

I believe that was Lisa (Garza).

And who cooks in high heels?

Again, Lisa.

Not to mention the evil Penny Davidi, host of Stiletto C***s.

Please do not mention this person's name again, saying it 3 times will cause her to appear.

• Love 1

Pageant Woman was awful. And the 'Healty Eating' contestants will never win.  The only healthy eating chef I've ever enjoyed watching is Elie Kreiger. No-one has ever come close to her, imo.

The Cowboy has the potential to become this year's Pah Stahl annoyance, with the possible saving grace that it seems he can cook. Giada clearly has the hots for Luca, but he did pretty well in the challenges. Alton looked like crap. Bobby is always hot (I know, I know, but I love that Irish pug look and red-headed men often have great butts. I had a thing for David Caruso at one time too, when he was on NYPD Blue.).

At this stage there's no-one I'm really rooting for. Most of the women were indistinguishable to me. Last year I liked Damaris from the outset. At this point my money would be on Luca, but we know from past seasons that contestants who should have gone weeks before were inexplicably kept in by the judges, way beyond their sell-by date. So, who knows? They've probably already signed Luca up for his own show.

(edited)

Donna was booted from redemption in case anyone doesn't know already.

(whoops, there goes the spoiler...albeit 5 days late)

I forgot all about this, I'm glad she's gone, she was really annoying.

Should Star Salvation have it's own thread?

Edited by GaT

Loreal reminds me of a contestant on Top Chef that was from Minneapolis. Same look. It comes off as schtick to me.

Oh, you mean the one that wore the kerchief?  My husband called her "Rosie the Riveter"  Note that neither of us can remember her real name.  I agree about Loreal reminding me of her and that it's schticky.  I don't get the trend among young women to want to resemble cartoon characters from the 40s and 50s.

• Love 1

Oh, you mean the one that wore the kerchief?  My husband called her "Rosie the Riveter"  Note that neither of us can remember her real name.

Her name was Sara.  I didn't like her so I sort of transferred that to Loreal the minute I saw her and heard her silly name.  I'm trying to be objective though and she does seem more likeable than Sara.

• Love 1

Bobby is always hot (I know, I know, but I love that Irish pug look and red-headed men often have great butts. I had a thing for David Caruso at one time too, when he was on NYPD Blue.).

Yay this show has a thread! It is such a shitty snark fest. Still in our house we utter our family-famous phrase from a few seasons ago: "Wait! Martie's still on?" I watched that season most consistently, and literally every family member came through the room and said that at one point or another. And now she's on again on some shit-show redemption thing? Awesome:)

Yes, Bobby Flay became hot to me when he was on Worst Cooks -- something about seeing him with the elementary kids, and I was all swoon. I can't take my old David Caruso love seriously because of CSI Miami and all of his sunglasses...

No one, and I mean NO ONE, can ever approach the sheer annoyance factor of Rodney from last year, so there's that.

No one stood out much to me, and I agree that it was a toss up between pageant girl and healthy eating girl for throwing overboard.

Giada and Alton have become caricatures of themselves. And it was so snarkily fab to see Kermit and Medusa again. I still don't understand how these contestants don't have a thirty second spiel practiced and NAILED before they ever approach the sound stage. That seems pretty basic.

• Love 1

No one, and I mean NO ONE, can ever approach the sheer annoyance factor of Rodney from last year, so there's that.

In an odd way I almost hope he's back (remember the Star Salvation thing is promising Returnees from other seasons), because as much as I loathe him, I enjoy screaming at the screen (and typing on the Internet) "SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!"

Donna was booted from redemption in case anyone doesn't know already.

(whoops, there goes the spoiler...albeit 5 days late)

The redemption clip my DVR captured didn't tell who was booted, so I thought it would be revealed this week.  IOW, this is a spoiler for me.

• Love 1

"Loreal"....that is not a name, that is a hair product line.  She was obnoxious and looked unkempt to me with all of those tattoos.  Seriously is that the woman's real name???  What kind of drugs were her parents on when she was born?

Pageant girl needs to go too.  Why did they give her so much airtime?  It seemed to me like she had more talking bits than anyone else.

Thus far, none of these folks jump out as favorites to me unlike other seasons where I picked people on the first night, like Kelsey, Melissa and Damaris.

Luca - Hot Italian guy. His accent is swoon-worthy as are his face and body. (Sorry I'm a pig/slash/pervertido woman). Executive chef for a restaurant group in San Antonio. He is comfy in his  "skeen".. indeed... BigHead clearly wanted to hump him  and I can't blame her.

I was only using the physical descriptions to make the identities easy to spot and to distinguish the 12 from each other for us, the viewers. I wasn't trying to be an ass.... just in case I came off as trying to be an ass.... :)

Uh, if loving Luca is wrong, I don't wanna be right.  And he loves his Mom and grandmother, AND he can cook...I wonder if he needs a green card, because I'm willing to oblige (just kidding!  sort of....)

I laughed when he flashed it during that red carpet thing. That was the only moment I liked out of that whole part because I find those made-up "fan/celebrity" bits embarrassing. Hell's Kitchen does them as well and they're the worst.

I don't get it, once upon a time it was novel and kinda cool.  Somewhere along the line I had an epiphany that its probably out of work actors or people who answered an ad and are going to get paid, and fed to say random things someone tells them to say.  Took the wind right out of my sails.  On top chef they are normally going to an event so the audience comments seem a little more real.

On another note:

1.  Donna - I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm thinking that you may need a bra, at least when you're wearing a low cut shirt.  Maybe a better bra, especially if you want to be on TV.  Having said that, the oddball NEVER goes home first.  They must be trying to shake things up!

2. Cowboy guy - me thinks he may end up being too much schtick.  Bringing a lasso as you walk in is just too much.

3. Sarah - maybe blowing kisses is her go to move when she feels uncomfortable.  I didn't even know what that fish face was about, I thought she was doing an impersonation of some sort.

4. The Network - I wonder if they are back because things went all sorts of sideways last season.  Having said that, I like them both, so I'm cool.

In looking at the video without sound (because I'm at work) Chad looks like this Slade that shows up on reality stuff on other channels (not Food Network). I first saw Slade on some show about choosing a husband for his ex-girlfriend Jo and I think he's now on Celebrity Marriage Boot Camp (saw ads, not watching).  I didn't notice the resemblance on the show because Chad is such a far better person.

ouch!  Slade is potentially the biggest douchebag in the entire world.....even reading a comment about him makes me want to wash my hands, he is so oogy.

6. I'm still confused about what exactly "fast casual" is.  It sounds a little like IHOP, or a McDonalds in Russia.  

7.  And this!

Why does everyone always show up seeming like they've never seen this show before. It's all about packaging yourself as this palatable, familiar, but unique cooking instructor and being able to convey that in 30 second to maybe 15 minute soundbites or demonstrations. Come on, people.

Wouldn't you be practicing in front of the mirror as soon as you found out you would be on the show.  And Sarah, who was up first, had already tried out for the show!  Its like when contestants on Project Runway come into the competition not knowing how to construct.  Or they are on TopChef and they don't even have ONE good dessert recipe.  Or RuPauls drag race and they don't have a character for Snatch Game.  The whole thing is totally bananas to me!  Bananas I tell you!

and one more...

I loved the dress Giada wore in the opening. However, "She's stuck in pageant mode" from a 40 something woman wearing glitter with a rictus smile?

I'm not sure if this is the thing because I haven't watched every season, but I've sort of noticed that Giada is a little rough on women who are younger and even mildly attractive.  Which is hard to understand because besides those scary looking chompers, Giada is a very pretty woman!  She has no reason to be jealous.

I  Considered Cowboy Pah yet, Lenny? 

Oh no, oh no, please, not pah!  If one of them goes down that road I won't be able to watch the show ever again.  Oh no....not pie, never pie again.  

NO PIE! There's a Pie Cry girl on Masterchef, that's all the pie I can take this summer.

Yes, but Pie Cry girl is unintentionally funny. She's also an actress. That's not to say that she isn't also a fantastic home cook who auditioned for the show as such and was cast based on her mad cooking skillz. But someone in the MasterChef forum found out that she's an actress.

I wonder how long it will take her to show up on a Food Network show.

• Love 1

Between the boots, buckles and hats, I have to wonder just how much luggage he brought with him.

Can you imagine being in line behind him at the airport metal detector? 

• Love 1

It's probably been talked about already, but I just noticed that Lenny, schtick or not, makes it clear on his audition video that he's a James Beard nominee (sounds like this year).

Sarah - maybe blowing kisses is her go to move when she feels uncomfortable.  I didn't even know what that fish face was about, I thought she was doing an impersonation of some sort.

I'm thoroughly embarrassed to admit I've watched it, but her facial expressions completely reminded me of Toddlers and Tiaras. The kisses and fish face are both cutesy moves the little kids do to impress the judges. I find it very embarrassing that an adult would make those faces, especially in such a different competition where the contestants aren't supposed to be cutesy, but I think that's where she got those expressions from.

• Love 1

I'm thoroughly embarrassed to admit I've watched it, but her facial expressions completely reminded me of Toddlers and Tiaras. The kisses and fish face are both cutesy moves the little kids do to impress the judges. I find it very embarrassing that an adult would make those faces, especially in such a different competition where the contestants aren't supposed to be cutesy, but I think that's where she got those expressions from.

LOL - hey, I watch bad girls club, I'm in no position to judge.

I agree with you though, I think it would be something a kid could barely get away with in the context of a pageant (and with a certain audience, I find kids acting unnatural to be creepy, and I'm not sure kids like to naturally blow kisses).  But an adult doing it just screams of having a pageant mentality drummed deep into their psyche, or that an important part of them is stuck in a time where they were 5 years old.

But thanks for the info, I truly had never in my life seen someone do a fish face with the thought that it was going to somehow be cute or appealing!