Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Master Of What Is Mine Own

Dee
  • Start Topic

The cost of running Lyon Family Management starts to put pressure on Cookie and Lucious’ relationship. When Kingsley pulls a power move of his own that has major financial repercussions for Lucious, Cookie thinks back to their early struggles. Kai becomes upset when Jamal announces their engagement on live TV and Tiana hits a crossroad with Hakeem, who refuses to set aside his beef with Blake. Meanwhile, Candace becomes vindictive after feeling betrayed by Cookie and Giselle uncovers a key to her future.

Great episode. Scary ending, but the preview makes it clear that Bella will be unharmed. I am really enjoying this story with Kingsley. I am now convinced that he is in the coffin. I like how Giselle caught him out. It is odd that Thirsty didn't investigate him. He and Becky are a great double act. 

I hope Cookie didn't have sex with that Cross guy. He might be obsessed with her. Lucious will go a rampage. 

Kai needs to chill the hell out. So does Hakeem.

I am really excited about next week's episode. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

Not really interested with the random Damon character, but Cookie and Lucious’s fight had me shaking my head. Cookie should have told him, but I don’t blame her for her secrecy. It’s hard to think Lucious has changed when he constantly says stuff like he’s doing/did everything himself.

Wasn’t interested in Jamal, and haven’t been all season. Not like that’s a bad thing. It’s probably to show that he’s the only normal one with his shit together.

No Candace. Your son choking you isn’t normal at all, and I wish she relized that instead of acting so petty. I’m waiting for her to actually give another solution to the Franklin problem that doesn’t end with them getting killed.  

Hakeem wins dumbass of the year for leaving his gun out and treating Tiana like shit. We all know nothing happens to Bella, but I’m wondering how they’re going to saftly get it from her when she’s holding it, and looking down it like a collidiscope. This whole storyline is unnecessary. Just another stupid variation of Tiana and Hakeem breaking up because Hakeem can’t stop acting like a headass. 

Oh and Maya is living with them for some reason. Cool? I wonder what was going through her and Junita’s minds when they heard all the fighting.

Edited by Dramafan15
  • Love 2

This season has been firing on all cylinders.

Kingsley has been a great antagonist and even Nicole Ari Parker has fit right in.

Gabby Sidibe needs to star in more comedies. She and Andre Royo are hilarious together.

Porsha needs to straighten Maya out.

Lucious, Cookie & Candace was a trifecta of petty.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

To be honest I find Kai boring as hell. He is my least favorite Jamal love interest. I hope that they don't get married. Despite his issues, D-Major was my favorite Jamal love interest and I miss him.

Me too. He was sexy as hell and I also liked the guy that Jamal was seeing when he was angry with D-Major. I thought that the show should have had a legitimate triangle with all three.

Kai seems so beige. I did not understand his anger at Jamal for announcing their engagement. I don't think that they will last.

Becky looks so good this season. I loved that coat that she wore, it was a cross between yellow and orange. 

Candace is too stupid to live. What did she expect Cookie to do. She hid her son's illness to keep the façade that she had a perfect life.

• Love 5

I actually like Kai & Jamal together. They're a good match. Kai is serious enough to keep Jamal grounded, but not too rigid that he might also suffocate him. And Jamal is more self assured & mature around Kai.

Derek & Jamal had a TON of chemistry but Derek was a negative influence on Jamal. Philip & Jamal had potential, but Philip couldn't handle the incessant Lyon drama.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, buttersister said:

Kai’s reaction came off like he read it in the script.

Hakeem and his gun are getting too much play not to amount to something, so nervous for Hakeem.

Yeah, I think Hakeem's gun is a Chekhov situation. Bella's going to be fine, but something is going to pop off with that gun.

11 hours ago, Dramafan15 said:

No Candace. Your son choking you isn’t normal at all, and I wish she relized that instead of acting so petty. I’m waiting for her to actually give another solution to the Franklin problem that doesn’t end with them getting killed.  

Right - she was just going to let her son keep beating her? When her son is going to get bigger and stronger and she's going to get older and weaker? He'd end up killing her, without question. If not her, then someone else. He needs intervention. If his violence is part of a mental illness, he needs medication. I assume that's why the husband left, because he was tired of her making excuses for Franklin. 

I love Wood Harris. I'm also loving Becky. 

Cookie is more forgiving of Maya than I'd be, but she's doing it for Pound Cake.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Dee said:

I actually like Kai & Jamal together. They're a good match. Kai is serious enough to keep Jamal grounded, but not too rigid that he might also suffocate him. And Jamal is more self assured & mature around Kai.

Derek & Jamal had a TON of chemistry but Derek was a negative influence on Jamal. Philip & Jamal had potential, but Philip couldn't handle the incessant Lyon drama.

I liked the push pull dynamic that Jamal had with Derek and Philip.  I also liked D-Major struggling with his sexuality, seeing him become more comfortable would have been a real good story.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Kai seems so beige. I did not understand his anger at Jamal for announcing their engagement. I don't think that they will last.

I'd be upset if my partner announced our engagement on TV without telling me first, especially if I was also a public figure or if I hadn't told important people in my life like my coworkers or friends etc. (I'm assuming Kai has family and he told them at least but who knows?) There's going to be a wave of press attention and having a chance to plan for it would be appreciated.

That being said, I don't think Jamal and Kai will last either because I get the very real sense that Kai hates everything about Jamal's life. Things were good when they were playing house in London but now that Jamal is back in his life with his family and friends and career, Kai seems to hate all of it. He looks down on Jamal's career as a pop star. That's going to destroy them.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

That being said, I don't think Jamal and Kai will last either because I get the very real sense that Kai hates everything about Jamal's life. Things were good when they were playing house in London but now that Jamal is back in his life with his family and friends and career,

Co-sign.  Personally, I like Kai but I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop, if not by him breaking off the engagement then by him creeping with his ex. 

Cracked up at the guy Kingsley fired after all his talk.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, you got that Cookie.....I wish Baby Pound Cake would slither her ass at my do’ after her stank attitude the last time we spoke.  I would have told her to go straight to hell, let her man take care of her.  You know she’s still up to no good, I saw that look she gave when Cookie pushed the plate of food towards her and she started eating.

Thirsty’s hair was GOD, that’s how I want mine….just not in the Mohawk style though.  He and Becky are so cute together but once in a while I wonder if he previously tapped that ass.  Becky is looking great lately and I loved her and Giselle going at it.  Is that Gabby's real hair or does she 'have the receipt'?

I knew Candace was going to tell Lucious about that real estate!  Glad to see my dream home again, so beautiful.

Almost wailed out loud at seeing that baby with the gun.

• Love 5

Thirsty ragging on Andre ("Is this girl real this time?") had me cackling.  

That being said, I don't think Jamal and Kai will last either because I get the very real sense that Kai hates everything about Jamal's life.

Agreed.  I like Kai but there are some people that want and crave to have a quiet life.  I do think he loves Jamal but hates that Jamal is back at home with the family who are not the most "quietest" of people. 

Really not sure of Gisele's end game but Nicole and Gabbie play well off each other. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Thirsty ragging on Andre ("Is this girl real this time?") had me cackling.  

34 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

It was so mean, but I busted out laughing. The look Andre gave Thirsty. Bwah.

This had be laughing my ass off, too!  Followed by Thirsty asking Andre if it was Casual Friday and that he needed to be in suit.  But Thirsty should know better than poking crazy folk.....

• Love 8

Oh my God that ending! I know Bella will be fine, but Christ Hakeem, thats why you dont leave guns laying around the house, especially when you have two little kids! Dude is acting like a major league asshole, especially to Tiana. Oh, NOW Tiana isnt Bella's mom? Even after she has clearly taken over primary parent duty while Hakeem was off shooting guns off and angsting? Whatever dude. 

I like Kai, but I dont see it lasting very long with Jamal. I can get him not wanting their engagement being announced on television with him being told in advance, but does he just never want to tell people about their marriage? Does he want to hide Jamal like some dirty pop star secret? Does he want them to never be seen together at awards shows or industry parties, or just out and about around town? I think he does love Jamal, but he hates his job as a musician, and all the drama in his life, so I dont see that ending well at all, considering the music industry is not only his job and passion, its his families whole life. 

Thirsty and Becky are a hilarious combination, and I freaking love Thirsty ragging on Andre, and Andre just looking annoyed. "Is this girl real this time?" And I am obsessed with Becks clothes this season, she looks amazing! 

I would laugh my ass off if Kingsley is brought down not by the Lyons, but by a shit ton of wrongful termination suites brought on by his petty dickishness. You cant just go around firing people for no reason, especially people that have the money and connections to hire lawyers! Love that Giselle figured out what was really up. 

Candice is so damn petty. I bet the reason her marriage fell apart is because she refuses to acknowledge that her son is sick and clearly needs help. If he had one of his freak outs in public, that could have gone even worse! He could have killed someone, or he could have been killed. It sucks that he has to be institutionalized, but he clearly needs help, and just ignoring it doesent help. 

Loving this season so much!

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Dramafan15 said:

Candace was in denial of Franklin’s mental health issues just like Lucious was in denial about Andre’s. Cookie did the right thing in that it got Franklin to stop, but it would have continued until Candace was dead. Maybe he has a brilliant mind but he’s also schizophrenic and that can’t be just willed away. What she did to Cookie was really wrong and Carol needs to convey that to her. She was beyond petty, she was vindictive and that’s just wrong. If I was Cookie hell would freeze over before I ever talked to her again. Cookie was saving her life. Candace wants to destroy Cookie’s. I’m over her. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I like Kai, but I dont see it lasting very long with Jamal. I can get him not wanting their engagement being announced on television with him being told in advance, but does he just never want to tell people about their marriage? Does he want to hide Jamal like some dirty pop star secret? Does he want them to never be seen together at awards shows or industry parties, or just out and about around town? I think he does love Jamal, but he hates his job as a musician, and all the drama in his life, so I dont see that ending well at all, considering the music industry is not only his job and passion, its his families whole life.

This side of Jamal is new to Kai. In The Depth Of Grief, Kai admits he hasn't really seen Jamal perform. So while Kai knows Jamal is a musician, who runs his own label with his own artists, it's another thing for him to deal with Jamal as performer.

Kai likely would've been ok had he and Jamal discussed how to navigate their relationship re: the public prior to Jamal abruptly putting him on the spot. It's kind of the inverse of what happened with Michael during Jamal's interview with Sway back in Season 1.

Kai's adapted pretty well to the Lyon's drama and potentially being the third wheel in Jamal & Becky's super close relationship. However, since their extended visit to the US, it's been Kai making the majority of concessions in their relationship, with Jamal alternating between being jealously immature and emotionally manipulative of Kai's choices and feelings.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3

"I've spent a lot of time in confined spaces" - LOL!

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

You cant just go around firing people for no reason

Sadly, you can, as long as you're not obviously discriminating against a protected class. It's called at-will employment.

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Candice is so damn petty.

Especially since she was the one who insisted that Cookie shouldn't sell the condo earlier in the season.

Lucious needs to shut up. He's let Cookie down so many times - including fathering a child with another woman while they were married, it seems like. She deserves to have a "just in case" condo, though why not rent it out so they can have some money coming in?

• Love 5
On 11/28/2018 at 9:42 PM, SimoneS said:

To be honest I find Kai boring as hell. He is my least favorite Jamal love interest. I hope that they don't get married. Despite his issues, D-Major was my favorite Jamal love interest and I miss him.

I know! Kai is just so dull, and yes he does make me miss the likes of D-Major and even shady Dubois cousin, Warren.

This episode was SO good but it was A LOT!

Candace is making a mistake by refusing to see that Franklin needs help, though I doubt he will get that help being pumped full of drugs in an institution. 

Tiana needs to leave Hakeem for good. He is so awful to her. 

I get why Cookie kept her condo. Lucious is not the most trustworthy person on the planet.

Loved everything with Becky and Giselle. They are hilarious together. Ditto Becky and Thirsty. I was skeptical about the Giselle character at first, but she has been a great addition to the show.

I also liked the data privacy storyline they worked in. Timely - and scary!

Also, how good does Andre look this season. I mean, DAMN!

Next week's finale looks epic.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

"I've spent a lot of time in confined spaces" - LOL!

Sadly, you can, as long as you're not obviously discriminating against a protected class. It's called at-will employment.

Especially since she was the one who insisted that Cookie shouldn't sell the condo earlier in the season.

Lucious needs to shut up. He's let Cookie down so many times - including fathering a child with another woman while they were married, it seems like. She deserves to have a "just in case" condo, though why not rent it out so they can have some money coming in?

Cookie's  secret apartment reminded me of what Wendy Williams used to say on her radio that Women should always have Fuck you money, just in case...lol 

Lucious acting all butt hurt annoyed me, given how he has treated Cookie for years. He has never been the ideal partner, yet, Cookie has stood by him no matter what. He is incapable of given her that type of loyalty, deep down he knows it and that is why he reacted like that..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Cookie's  secret apartment reminded me of what Wendy Williams used to say on her radio that Women should always have Fuck you money, just in case...lol 

One of my favorite professors used to say that everybody should have a "fuck-off fund."

• Love 4

Followed by Thirsty asking Andre if it was Casual Friday and that he needed to be in suit.

It felt like an inspired ad-lib or at least a meta-commentary on Andre's new propensity for drab muscle shirts. Thirsty's sleuthing skills border on the supernatural. He could "make some calls" and tell you who killed Tupac. Which makes it all the more puzzling that he let Candice beat him to the secret of Kingsley's paternity (which Cookie is not going take at all well). Isn't that the kind of shifty due diligence Lucious pays him to do? Meanwhile, I'm enjoying seeing Becky play both ends against the middle. She might be the smartest character on the show. Hakeem is easily the stupidest. He's like a walking PSA on firearm safety.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Loved everything with Becky and Giselle. They are hilarious together. Ditto Becky and Thirsty. I was skeptical about the Giselle character at first, but she has been a great addition to the show.

I think Becky with anyone is good because Becky is just that awesome. She could even redeem Hakeem with her magic. Becky and Thirsty are my favorite pairing. I keep waiting for those two to realize they can do better than the Lyon family and start their own record label.

• Love 3

Powerful episode even-though it reminded me of the movie "Inception" where we go back into time, and more time, and more time...………… It started with Cookie and Lucious then we got into "4 years earlier" and then "2 years earlier" inside that. It was well done so I wasn't lost in time.

I can't for the life of me imagine why Candace is so bitter about her sister saving her from her son. She could have been pummeled to death. Why is she so mad that Cookie called the police on her son and he is now receiving treatment? I just can't wrap my head around her betraying Cookie's secret apartment to Lucious because of that. What is the million dollar reason behind her anger?

Jamal and Kai is a joke. I will tell Jamal that "Karma is a bio@tch". I remember in S1 when Jamal thought Michael was holding him back because he was too busy and Michael didn't have much to do but cling to him. He wouldn't even admit in public that he had a love in his life which greatly broke Michael's heart. Cookie even advised poor Michael to go find his own career because it would be tough being a partner to someone as famous and busy as Jamal. Now guess who is being a drag to someone else's career? Kai now sees Jamal as the drag and turned on him for outing him as his love interest. Serves Jamal right. One good turn deserves another. I hope their relationship crashes and burns. I don't like this Kai guy. Never have.

Kingsley is a pouty kid and no match for Lucious's tough persona. His actions to get back at Lucious are not well thought out and fall apart as soon as Lucious throws a jab at him. Firing employees at a whim only makes him more enemies and turns the others against him. We'll see how the Lucious-Kingsley match plays out.

Hakeem will never grow up. That ending was gut wrenching. I pray to God all ends well. This is just a TV show but it is shocking how often this has happened in real life which is a good thing it was addressed on this show.

Good episode. 

• Love 2