Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E28: Trump Administration Family Separation Policy

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, TVcritic said:

So, why isn't separating children from parents called torture...? Would that make the MAGA snowflakes uncomfortable?

I'd imagine a lot of these racist fucks would get off seeing a brown child cry and telling his mother he doesn't love him anymore.

Near the end, it was hard to find anything to laugh at. I can't imagine most Americans would look at this and think America is great. This is one of the more shameful moments in the country's history that has quite a few.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, TVcritic said:

So, why isn't separating children from parents called torture...? Would that make the MAGA snowflakes uncomfortable?

I'd imagine the dickswabs who defied the Geneva Convention would just call it "stress positions".

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

I'd imagine a lot of these racist fucks would get off seeing a brown child cry and telling his mother he doesn't love him anymore.

They'd probably say something like, "They did it to themselves for coming into this country illegally."

Near the end, it was hard to find anything to laugh at. I can't imagine most Americans would look at this and think America is great. This is one of the more shameful moments in the country's history that has quite a few.

True on all counts. Honestly, any American who looks at that video and doesn't feel shame has no heart. And if they feel bad and yet think that this is the price to pay, they have no understanding of what humanity is or what this country USED TO stand for. 

The people came here seeking asylum, which is legal, and they're punished for it. How in the world is that right or justifiable? The clip of that woman doing mind contortions to excuse her ignorance of this fact was embarrassing for her.

One of the most entertaining things in this ep was the googly-eye segment. I love whoever did that and ALSO changed the name to Fartenberry. I'm also so glad that one guy recorded the conversation that showed what an idiot the other guy (campaign mgr? attorney?) was. Hilarious. Oh, and I loved John doing the fart puns with the famous people, like Dolly Farton, and ending with a picture of Cher, saying, "And, of course, Fart." :D

I always enjoy seeing the news people in Halloween costumes. My favorites were probably the trio of Brawny Man, Progressive Flo, and the British mint/gum lady? I can't remember the brand.

I also liked seeing the inflatable T-Rex because two teens came to my house on Halloween both wearing the costume. I couldn't stop laughing.

It's good to laugh these days.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, TVcritic said:

It wouldn't, but it still should be called torture. 

With the NJ woman - Even if you don't want people coming into the country, how do you either not know that applying for asylum is legal or have someone on your team make sure you know that?

• Love 7

Another depressing episode elevated by gags. In this case, jackass news people dressed for Halloween and the NBC peacock thanking John for being against blackface, then trying to blow him.

My fear is that John is mostly preaching to his choir, that little to no undecided voters will watch, and we’ll be getting more heartbreaking stuff like a child crying and telling his mother that he doesn’t love her.

Asylum. Not immigration. ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The people came here seeking asylum, which is legal, and they're punished for it. How in the world is that right or justifiable? The clip of that woman doing mind contortions to excuse her ignorance of this fact was embarrassing for her.

The thing that always gets me about these people who make a big production out of stressing that they're only against illegal immigrants? I'm going to take a wild guess they don't stop to figure out who's here legally and who isn't before they start in on their mocking and stereotyping and harassment. You just know the immigrants' legal status isn't the real issue for these people. 

51 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

My fear is that John is mostly preaching to his choir, that little to no undecided voters will watch

I fully agree it'd be nice to get this message out to undecided voters (though, frankly, if anyone's still undecided at this point and time, then I don't know what else can be done to sway them), but if these segments encourage those who already agree with his views to get out and vote en masse, I'll consider that a success in its own right. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

You just know the immigrants' legal status isn't the real issue for these people. 

This is characterized by the "they need to do it the right way" garbage. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

One of the most entertaining things in this ep was the googly-eye segment. I love whoever did that and ALSO changed the name to Fartenberry. I'm also so glad that one guy recorded the conversation that showed what an idiot the other guy (campaign mgr? attorney?) was. Hilarious. Oh, and I loved John doing the fart puns with the famous people, like Dolly Farton, and ending with a picture of Cher, saying, "And, of course, Fart." :D

WORD. I laughed embarrassingly hard at the fart puns.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

They'd probably say something like, "They did it to themselves for coming into this country illegally."

I have "friends" on Facebook who say exactly that.  And that it's the parents fault children have gotten lost in the system.  Racists are far too empowered these days.

• Love 7

That's the part that I think disturbs me the most about this. There are people out there who don't seem to care about the horrible things that are happening to children in this country. Kids are shot at school and they're either called crisis actors or their concerns about safer schools are dismissed and openly mocked. They're put in cages at the border and people's response is, "Well, too bad, their families shouldn't have brought them here." And that's just to name a couple issues right offhand. 

Whatever side of an issue one falls on, I would think, at the very least, they'd still have some level of compassion for children. Yet some people can't even seem to manage that nowadays. It's frightening. 

• Love 7

The group that claims school shooting victims are crisis actors are a minority.  However, there's a very large percentage of so-called 2nd Amendment people who feel that the answer is armed guards in schools, metal detectors everywhere, having to show ID to walk into a school, etc.  Apparently to them the freedom to own and carry a ton of guns is more important than any other freedom.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

The group that claims school shooting victims are crisis actors are a minority.  

That is thankfully true. I still don't know how one gets to a point in their life where they think that idea makes any sort of sense, though. 

• Love 2

My fear is that John is mostly preaching to his choir, that little to no undecided voters will watch, and we’ll be getting more heartbreaking stuff like a child crying and telling his mother that he doesn’t love her.

I feel that way about The Daily Show and Full Frontal too. I'm sure very few on the right are watching these show, much less being swayed by them. But hopefully there are enough people on the left who will get outraged enough to get up off their lazy asses and go out and vote - people who didn't bother in 2016 because they figured it didn't matter who won since both candidates were "equally bad." There are lots of people who watch this show and agree with John but don't necessarily do anything about it.

Honestly, any American who looks at that video and doesn't feel shame has no heart. 

Well, I can't say I feel "shame" since I didn't vote for any of the people responsible for these policies. Embarrassment for my country, sure, but not quite shame. The latter implies some fault on my part.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

But hopefully there are enough people on the left who will get outraged enough to get up off their lazy asses and go out and vote - people who didn't bother in 2016 because they figured it didn't matter who won since both candidates were "equally bad."

From your mouth to Trump's rear!!!  

This episode made me profoundly sad and I teared up at the emotion in his voice at the end.   

• Love 4

Duncan Hunter won. So did Steve King, but Hunter's win (while under a sixty count indictment) over the Christian opponent he all but accused of being an Islamic terrorist really depressed me.

It's easy to dismiss the plight of those poor children and their families if, as many Trumpists routinely do, you find a way of thinking of them as somehow less than actual human beings. The images of children, including babies, being ripped from their parents' arms, will stay with me forever. So will the cages. The weeping. The demonization of entire populations to whip us all into a hate-fueled frenzy that will benefit one subgroup of a political party....

It is to weep, and I'm glad Oliver showed his very real and righteous anger.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, TudorQueen said:

Duncan Hunter won. So did Steve King, but Hunter's win (while under a sixty count indictment) over the Christian opponent he all but accused of being an Islamic terrorist really depressed me.

I am so depressed about Steve King. What the hell, Iowa? 

• Love 3