Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Dave & Connor

• Start Topic

I've been rooting for these two from the start. I feel that the editors have been leaning on them too much in regards to Dave's injury in TAR22, and I can see how that would wear on some viewers. And yeah, we haven't learn much about Conner in his two tours of duty. But I feel that they're good drama-free Racers, and I'm hoping they pull off the win in the end.

I am rooting so hard for these guys to win. I am really concerned, though, that they keep bringing up Dave's injury from last time. It makes me think something bad is going to happen to him again. Or to Connor. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

In my mind, they're as capable of screwing up as any other team. In fact, I was worried that their log mishaps would doom them. Instead, they merely took their leave of the front of the pack for the first time, finishing fourth out of seven. And yes, seeing Jessica & John outrun the older Dave was distressing . . . but I have faith in Dave & Conner, and I'm hoping they shock the Cowboys and Afghanimals in the long run.

I don't get the hate for these two. I haven't found Dave to be offensive with his tongue-in-cheek comments, and I like Conner just fine. It's not like they beat off like the Afghanimals after succeeding in tasks, and they haven't overstayed their welcomes like other teams. I know it's a matter of perspective, but it bugs me.

Edited by Lantern7

I find them inoffensive, and I don't like most of the teams this season, including most of those that remain. So they're my favorites to win simply because they don't piss me off. And that means they won't win.

Wow. I was on board with this team until this leg--mainly my issue is with Dave and his self-righteous indignance at being U-turned. It's  a race, you big baby.

Also, D&C's logic about U-turning Jamal and Leo makes no sense at all. I get the logic behing U-turning someone behind you if you've been U-turned. It's about self-preservation. But to then assist the other U-turned team in getting ahead? I don't get it. If you're going to do that, then why U-turn them at all?

Also, if you U-turn anyone for any reason, you don't get to have your panties in a bunch about your own U-turn. If you think it's wrong to U-turn someone, fine. If you think it's Race strategy, fine. But you can't have it both ways.

Edited by Chyna
  • Love 5

I really despise dave. Well it's only a tv show, and I don't really know him in real life, but boy, as a reality show contestant, I cannot stand him. Nevermind all the Achilles whining, and cancer survivor chest-beating (I'm a survivor too but you'd never know about it in real life because I don't throw it in your face like they do). It's the whole "how dare they u-turn me, I'm 60" refrain, followed by this "old" man acting like a 14-year old high school kid. What is up with him making fun of Rachel's looks, and imitating Brendan's fist-pumping? And some more making fun of them in the previews. I'm no fan of brenchel but dave has me feeling a little bad for them. Ps love the talk of those inept country girls being such "quality people". So if some people are "quality" then others aren't. What a judgmental pompous tool. Cannot wait for the crying when they get eliminated.

• Love 6

Taylorh2 . . . okay, you got me there, though I wouldn't be surprised if Brenchel talked shit about Dave & Conner first. This is how deep into those two I am right now, though I acknowledge that I could jump off the bandwagon in the next few weeks.

To be honest, I do wonder whether I'm being contrary about the O'Learys for the sake of being contrary. And then there are times where I hope the final task before the finish line is a bike ride, and Dave & Conner whiz by a struggling Brendan & Rachel to win the game. I'm not saying I'm right . . . this is just how I feel.

Edited by Lantern7

Lantern, we may be not that far apart on the continuum. I'm very disappointed in them because they were my favorites, I wanted them to win the whole thing, and now I feel like I can't like them anymore, but I wish they'd do something to redeem themselves so I could like them again.

I'm still rooting for them. I don't mind the "accidental alliance" and Dave getting his bitch on. I don't see what they're doing wrong, game-wise, and I don't like the team they're heaping hate upon ("Brenchel"). The biggest danger of the alliance would be that the Country Girls move on from the Cowboys and set their sights on Conner.

Their "our kind of people" thing really rubs me the wrong way.   It's code for believing certain things.   And those things are not "let's all work together in a race that only one team can win" if you know what I mean.

• Love 7

Merylinkid, i know EXACTLY what you mean, and I agree 100%, and it turns my stomach. How I'd love dave to pay a little visit to New York City, where I was born and raised. He wouldn't last three seconds here with that attitude. Smug, prejudiced, whiny old jerk.

• Love 2

You guys all beat me to the punch.  I used to like this team, but frankly behavior I would sort of understand in the son - I find appalling in the father.  He is a jerk of t he first water.

I want the Cowboys, Afganimals (even tho' they have participated in the horrific "alliance") and - I can't even believe I am saying this - Brenchel - in that order.

I don't like Brenchel and NEVER have, but the mean girl thing that is going on is beneath The Amazing Race as far as I am concerned.  Teams waiting to help another team?  WTF???????????

The juvenile trashing of another team - admittedly an unlikeable one - is just so ....real housewives and unworthy of The Amazing Race.

Dumbed down are we??????

Just gobsmacked by a season that I started out really liking and am now finding stupid, ridiculous and not worth watching.

• Love 2

Chiming in here - yeah, Dave & Connor fooled me. I was liking them until he showed this ugly side of his personality.

The self-righteous attitude "Not our kind of people" snootiness is not something I'd expect of anyone past college age, let alone 60.  He's an old guy trying to fit in with the younger racers by joining in and leading in mocking someone else. 

His attitude about the U-turn is hypocritical - if you use it on me, it's wrong, it I use it, it's part of the game. Yeah, he's not MY kind of people.  He can take his asshole alliance and go to hell.

• Love 3

Just gobsmacked by a season that I started out really liking and am now finding stupid, ridiculous and not worth watching.

I end up coming here, reading the comments, and deleting episodes from our TiVo unwatched. I initially liked Dave and Connor, but they sound like they've unleashed their inner jackasses.

Their "our kind of people" thing really rubs me the wrong way. 

I can get behind that statement is if it means 'our kinds of people' don't like sequined short shorts.  Something tells me that's not what they mean though.  And insulting Rachel's looks aren't nice either.  Sure, her breakdowns make for interesting television, but mocking her for it is incredibly juvenile.

I did like them, but 60 years old, cancer survivors with torn Achilles who volunteer to run the race get the same treatment as everyone else.

• Love 2

Once again, I'm not seeing the problem. A huge part of me hopes it comes down to bike-riding, where "Brenchel" struggles, and Dave & Conner whiz past them while laying down the horn. Maybe I'm being contrary for its own sake, maybe I'm against veteran reality pros outside their own program (please Bert & Elise, don't let a tool like "Johnny Bananas" infect your show), but that's how I feel. Dave & Conner have run a good race, and I don't see them winning as the end-all/be-all worst case scenario that forces viewers off the bandwagon.

I wouldn't have a problem with the imitations of Rachel if they'd been earlier in the race maybe. I mean the country singers' imitation was pretty good (although Dave and Conner's wasn't quite so spot-on). I would have thought it was funny if it had been by itself and not accompanied by the how-dare-they-u-turn-us and all the self-righteousness and not-like-usness.

In fact, I'm a little mad that all the other stuff accompanied the imitations because I wanted to laugh so badly, but I was too annoyed.

Wonder if the AAA:  *Asshole Accidental Alliance*  will  split the prize money when one of them wins ?  They're all helping each other like this is a lovefest and not a RACE FOR A MILLION DOLLARS !

The Cowboys/ Brenden & Rachel are the only teams that is actually *RACING* for the prize money. I don't know what the AAA is doing.

• Love 4

Once again . . . still pulling for them. I don't care if Dave's definition of "quality people" doesn't include Brendan & Rachel, because at the end of the day, they're Brendan & Rachel. I am concerned that Dave's Roadblock choices might backfire on him . . .  on the other hand, there's only been one person to complete two Races (Eric Sanchez, a bigger butthole than D&C could ever fathom), so "Brenchel" could be doomed in the next leg.

Now that they have won, have they finally stopped whining about the u-turn? Have they finally realized people u-turn teams that are threats, or do they still think "But I'm/my dad is old" was supposed give them some sort of u-turn immunity?

Were they the best team ever? Or even the best this season? Possibly not.  But I so think this was the most deserving team to win the race.

They ran hard and smart (mostly), and seemed (for the most part) genuinely likable.

And, on a meta level, it's nice to see a family duo win the race after all these years, and to see an older person win the race as well.  That, coupled with their established story, makes it a satisfying win.

I think I would have been much less satisfied if either of the other 2 teams won. (Rachel still grates on me after all these seasons, but Brendan seems to counterbalance her nicely.)

• Love 2

I dunno about "deserving," and there's a chance the Cowboys might've overtaken them had the Afghanimals not U-Turned 'em. But I give Dave & Conner a ton of credit for pulling out the win. And they'll probably never get invited back, which means no ageist complaining from Dave, which means everybody wins. I understand where he was coming from, and I disagreed with the bulk of criticism towards him, but I could understand where the complaints were coming from.

• Love 1
(edited)

I find it ludicrous that Dave whined his way through the season, brandishing his "60 year old man" card as both a shield and sword, when the guy is actually 58! Jerk.

I just wish,once, Connor would've turned to him and said, "C'mon, Dad, you can do this roadblock, you're only 58."

Edited by jette
  • Love 3

Dear dave 

If you are truly "too old"  to run the race, if you're going to complain about  how you have to do any of the tasks at your advanced age, and expect that the other teams will treat you like the fragile old guy you are and not be too rough on you -  Then why  didn't you do what most of us in your age group, with pulled muscles and cancer scars,  do about the Amazing Race?  

we stay home and WATCH other people race  it on TV. 

Instead, you tagged along and watched your SON race, all the while bitching about how hard it is. 

Stay home, watch TV, and yell at all those damn kids who are on  your lawn.  

• Love 9
(edited)

Dear dave

If you are truly "too old" to run the race, if you're going to complain about how you have to do any of the tasks at your advanced age, and expect that the other teams will treat you like the fragile old guy you are and not be too rough on you - Then why didn't you do what most of us in your age group, with pulled muscles and cancer scars, do about the Amazing Race?

we stay home and WATCH other people race it on TV.

Instead, you tagged along and watched your SON race, all the while bitching about how hard it is.

Stay home, watch TV, and yell at all those damn kids who are on your lawn.

Oh, this comment is perfect! thx for starting my morning on this note....loved it!

Edited by Rbonnie