Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Revelations

Oh, snap!  I kinda saw that opening scene going that way, but they still got me on the execution (no pun intended).  The bit with the plastic sheeting and the comment about the contractors made think for a moment that was an odd detail, but I let it go.  

• Love 3

If you work for the FBI or have ever watched Dexter you should recognize a murder room when you walk into it. There was no obvious remodelling happening or tools lying around. Nadeem did seem to have a second  of disquiet but I guess it didn't occur to him that his bosses might be working for Fisk.

• Love 1

Damnit, Hattley! I figured out she was bad when Dex walked into her home and her house was covered in plastic. I think the detail with Julie being killed in that type of environment helped send warning signs, but I was hoping it wasn't true that entire scene. Poor Winn; he was really coming around to things, too. At least they gave an explanation with Hattley and how she's being coerced and she's not liking her position either.

Charlie Cox is such a magnetic actor. His scenes in this episode were so goddamn good. He's so captivating to watch. I love the little sound detail when Matt is hallucinating, or using a figure like Fisk or his father as the voice in his head. The sound is very hollow. I like it.

I kind of love how Maggie told Karen upfront about the truth. I really liked seeing a bit of Maggie's backstory. I love them going the route of postpartum and how it connected to her religion. It still isn't a great look for her, especially since she had so many years to tell him, but there's a little more understanding.

I am starting to feel like there's a little TOO much Ray and Dex, but it's not so bad yet. Of course now it makes sense as to how Fisk has been getting around. I noted that Melvin talked about how Fisk had been at his shop, but I thought maybe I heard wrong. Now, I think it was entirely possible for Fisk to have gotten out if he ensured every agent on duty during that time had been turned by him.

That ending was solid. The moment Matt walked into the hotel, he made it seem like he was walking right to his execution. A very neat acting choice from Cox because I truly buy that Matt's thought process was that he was walking into a hopeless situation for him where he was prepared to die. And then hearing that Karen was in danger was a nice touch.

• Love 7

Bleak opener. I kind of suspected Hattley would somehow be involved back in ep 1, but it took so long that I figured I was wrong. I do think they have gone quite overboard with the openness of the corruption and control Fisk has, though. It went from this completely secret thing in the beginning to now this huge conspiracy with everyone involved and not even trying to cover it up. I think they could have shown Kingpin to be a master manipulator without being so blatant about it.

• Love 5

I figured something was going to happen in the opening scene but not that.  Damn.  Definitely explains how Fisk has been able to keep the FBI wrapped around his finger.

Really good episode.  I liked the look into Maggie's past and I remember the postpartum depression stuff reveal occurred in the Mark Waid run of Daredevil.  She hadn't been a nun prior to that in the comics but that's what led her to becoming one.

Younger Maggie looks a lot like Maisie Williams. 

Charlie Cox was great in this episode and the imaginary interactions even work for me.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I totally knew things were going to go bad for Ray once I saw that Hattley's house was covered in plastic.  He probably should have saw that coming, but in his defense, he did just get shot.  But I'm not sure how he'll be able to get out from under Fisk's thumb.

Speaking of which, it looks like Foggy might be stuck in a situation where he'll have to walk about his anti-Fisk stance, since his brother accidentally got himself and their parents into some shady shit with the Red Line Bank.  Oops!

The Maggie/Karen scene was great.  They've really done a great job with Maggie, even though I can't blame Matt for being upset with her for abandoning him.

Oh, shit!  Is Matt going to have to throw down at the church?!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, meeeechiganman said:

Fisk better not do any harm to Karen as not only matt willl be in kill mode but Frank Castle will also be coming for him.

I kind of can't believe that Karen didn't reach out to Frank in the first place.

Good episode though, man I feel bad for Foggy's family though and I am not sure how he ever makes this go away. Even if he just goes back to being a lawyer he is still the guy that will always be under Fisk's thumb. Or worse Fisk moght want him to stay in the race and become his new DA.

Sigh. Of course Ray's boss is a secret baddie, working for Fisk. That's the way this stuff goes. Just for once, I'd like it if law enforcement in a show like this were genuinely clean and honourable. But I did like the reveal that there are a bunch of other agents that Fisk has compromised.

And you know what? I was really annoyed at the preternatural planning and foresight of them engineering Ray's sister losing her coverage, so he would get into debt and make himself vulnerable. Come off it. Unnecessarily convoluted, when he already apparently had half the office under his thumb. I was much happier when coincidence brought Nadeem to Fisk's attention, and Fisk used existing vulnerabilities to get what he wanted.

This makes it feel like Matt's task of bringing Fisk down is just too implausible. No matter what he does, Fisk can just compromise more people. The only realistic way of dealing with him is to kill him, but we're supposed to think Matt is wrong to be thinking of doing that.

Not completely sold on the flashback (partly because Matt's dad looked about thirty five, and young Maggie looked about sixteen). Look, even with the post-partum depression leading to her effectively walking out on her son, there's no excuse whatsoever for her never telling him the truth, especially after his dad died. That guff about "she's been making amends ever since"? Yeah, well not to Matt, she hasn't. I'm glad she copped to her cowardice, though.

The scene with Maggie and Karen was good. And Deborah Ann Woll was good in general, as the reality of what her anger with Fisk brought about. 

I like Foggy and Marcie, but I'm really not feeling the Nelson family subplot. It just feels tacked on to heighten the danger Fisk represents that much further.

Charlie Cox was really good in this episode, but Matt himself was a bit of a prig, being all self-righteous with his hallucinations, but I'm really starting to miss him having scenes with real people, especially Foggy and Karen.

I was pleased that he second guessed everyone, and went to Fisk's hideout instead of where Ray told him to go. Lucky for him, and for Karen, that he did.

• Love 10
On 10/28/2018 at 3:03 PM, Danny Franks said:

And you know what? I was really annoyed at the preternatural planning and foresight of them engineering Ray's sister losing her coverage, so he would get into debt and make himself vulnerable. Come off it. Unnecessarily convoluted, when he already apparently had half the office under his thumb. I was much happier when coincidence brought Nadeem to Fisk's attention, and Fisk used existing vulnerabilities to get what he wanted.

Agreed, especially on the "unnecessarily convoluted" part.  It was better when it appeared Fisk was just waiting for a "clean" agent that could be manipulated instead of setting up the whole situation.  Also, apparently Obamacare doesn't exist in the MCU if his sister could be turned down for a pre-existing condition.

• Love 6

His mother looked way too young for his father - she looked underage. They couldn't find a slightly older actress, or a younger version of his dad? Come on. It was creepy, seeing them kiss. 

tired of all of law enforcement being dirty. It was awful, seeing how many FBI agents he had working for him. I was really hoping that the woman who was at the desk, and had only been on duty an hour, would have insisted on sticking around. I did note that some of the other agents didn't look happy - and I knew that something would happen to the one guy who protested - but they see how Dex is just fine with killing people. He doesn't look unhappy. 

I'm glad that Marci is still around. I like her, although I hadn't noticed how similar she is to Karen, in ways, until Foggy looked into her briefs "in more ways than one", and then the camera switched to Karen - I think that was in the previous episode. 

I'm surprised Karen didn't call Frank, but they need Fisk to stay alive. 

I want to watch more, but I need to wait until tomorrow. 

• Love 2

Someone explain to me how 10 FBI agents (one, at least, who believes her CHILD WAS KILLED BY FISK) continue to work for Fisk when any one of them could have put a bullet in his head and had the others vouch that it was self defense or an accident or what-the-fuck-ever.

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, marcee said:

Someone explain to me how 10 FBI agents (one, at least, who believes her CHILD WAS KILLED BY FISK) continue to work for Fisk when any one of them could have put a bullet in his head and had the others vouch that it was self defense or an accident or what-the-fuck-ever.

I don't get it, either. 

• Love 3

Well, lighting the church in DD red was pretty cool.

Skipped through much of the Karen origin story. Tough town, drugs, whatever.

WTF, Matt. Beat this guy. 

Called FBI boss being under Fisk. Was surprised at how many others were also bought. 

• Love 1
On 11/7/2018 at 1:20 PM, marcee said:

Given how Fisk plans, you have to assume he has made it clear that, if that were to happen, measures would be taken even after his death.

• Love 2

Omg, FBI boss lady is working for Fisk?! What a twist! Who could have seen that coming?! Except everybody because that was the most obvious thing ever from episode one. She was waaay too nice and supportive. For once I want a jerk or even just somebody well rounded to turn out to be the bad guy. They try so hard to throw us off the trail, they highlight it like crazy.