Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: This is the Part Where You Run

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Under the guidance of headmaster Alaric Saltzman, the next generation of supernatural beings at The Salvatore Boarding School for the Young and Gifted — including tri-brid Hope Mikaelson, Alaric’s twins Lizzie and Josie, high-energy vampire MG, newly-triggered werewolf Rafael and the mysterious Landon — come of age in the most unconventional way possible, nurtured to be their best selves...in spite of their worst impulses.

Airdate: October 25, 2018

I liked it. I did not expect the direction it went, and now I have no idea which direction the show will go.

Also can I say how much I love Hope? Also, since homegirl needs to start playing for the other team, if you know what I mean since she clearly doesn't have any luck with men. (Seriously, 100% of all the guys she's dated has screwed her over. I know they say you need to kiss a lot of frogs but damn). 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, ursula said:

I liked it. I did not expect the direction it went, and now I have no idea which direction the show will go.

Also can I say how much I love Hope? Also, since homegirl needs to start playing for the other team, if you know what I mean since she clearly doesn't have any luck with men. (Seriously, 100% of all the guys she's dated has screwed her over. I know they say you need to kiss a lot of frogs but damn). 

I watched both of the previous series so I knew I was gonna tune in but I wasn't sure how much I'd be into it... But Im in.. I like the diff characters.. The one who was least interesting was the human boy.. But that might've changed.. Still not sure what happened on the bus.. It could be a red herring.. Tho I'd love if they kept it the way it looks

• Love 2

Never watched The Originals, gave up on Vampire Diaries long before it ended but decided to check this out. Kind of amusing to catch up on Alaric and hear Klaus mentioned and ah, yes, the vervain tea. I remember the vervain tea!

Anyway, this was good. I expect it to go downhill at some point because I remember TVD, but for now I'll stick with it. I enjoyed all the characters. But, I kept thinking to myself, hey Hope, don't trust Landon, he's playing you all. You know how I knew? Because I've watched a TV show before! Between this and last week's Charmed, I can't take it anymore. 

I liked it. I'm not really convinced Landon is bad. I think the black magic they did to track him set off the knife and that he's just a supernatural type we haven't been introduced to yet, and that he's not aware of it either. As noted, we've already seen Hope be duped by a guy she likes, I think and want this to be something different. I'd like to see Hope's arc this season be to accept that things aren't so easy as "don't care about people and they won't die". I do find it funny that she's into curly haired guys with strong bone structure. I wonder if we'll ever see Roman again.

I'm kind of curious of what the deal with the twin's (Jo's) ex is. I also like that there's a parental presence on this show and it's not an antagonistic relationship. I want to know what the explanation for where Caroline is though and what the twins think of their parent's history, relationship/friendship. 

Also curious, how do the vampire students work... as in, when do they graduate and how recently have they been turned? How old is MG? The exposition/joke of Alaric relating to Milton wanting to be called MG made me roll my eyes and chuckle.

Edited by Check Sanity
Clarifying which ex.
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Check Sanity said:

Also curious, how do the vampire students work... as in, when do they graduate and how recently have they been turned?

I had the same question about whatshisname from the Originals - Hope's first boyfriend.

Good point about Hope having a type. Although if you add MG, it seems Legacies is trying to corner the market in curly-haired hotties. 

• Love 1

Oh, Hope. I'm sorry, but the opening sentence of this show about how who is a hero and who is a villain just depends on who is telling the story made me laugh and then roll my eyes. It doesn't matter how you spin it, girl. Your father enjoyed violently murdering humans, vampires, witches, and every other kind of creature on earth for centuries. He did it for fun. He did it when he was bored. He did it when he was being petulant (never forget that he slaughtered an entire family because the father was snoring loudly). There's no way to turn him into a hero in 99% of the things that he did because most of the time he was just a violent dick with a hair trigger temper. But you keep on hero worshipping your murderous daddy, Hope.

I also thought it was so teenage drama queen of Hope to tell Alaric that how she knew Landon was a long story because it's NOT a long story at all! I totally cracked up when two minutes later she told him the oh so long and convoluted tale: he used to serve her milkshakes at the Mystic Grill. Yup, super long story.

Ha, glad to see that the Salvatore Dungeon of Doom is still being used to hold people against their will!

Alaric's parenting skills were in evidence tonight. Lizzie and Josie were snotty to Hope right in front of both Hope and Alaric and all he had to say was a very mild, "Everyone behave." That will definitely nip their mean girl tendencies right in the bud, Alaric. Lizzie's temper tantrum made me think that she has the emotional maturity and self control of a toddler, which is exactly why someone like her having magical skills is so dangerous.

For someone who doesn't know Hope very well, Landon already has her number. Much like her dear old daddy, Hope's M.O. is to leave.

Poor Josie. MG's betrayal probably hurt as much if not more than whatever Penelope did to her. I definitely do not need another sibling love triangle so I hope that Rafael ends up dating neither twin.

I liked TVD and TO in their earlier seasons so I'm going to keep watching Legacies for now. I'm interested in finding out what happens next week (and I think I am just happy that we saw Alaric, Matt, and some of the old Salvatore sets - I got all nostalgic about TVD and how much I used to love it).

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lizzie's temper tantrum made me think that she has the emotional maturity and self control of a toddler, which is exactly why someone like her having magical skills is so dangerous.

Lizzie is [cut for behind the scene intel]

Spoiler

bipolar.

Spoilers aside, Alaric implied that she inherited her "issues" from her mother's side of the family. If you remember, Kai Parker had a mental condition.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Oh, Hope. I'm sorry, but the opening sentence of this show about how who is a hero and who is a villain just depends on who is telling the story made me laugh and then roll my eyes. It doesn't matter how you spin it, girl. Your father enjoyed violently murdering humans, vampires, witches, and every other kind of creature on earth for centuries. He did it for fun. He did it when he was bored. He did it when he was being petulant (never forget that he slaughtered an entire family because the father was snoring loudly). There's no way to turn him into a hero in 99% of the things that he did because most of the time he was just a violent dick with a hair trigger temper. But you keep on hero worshipping your murderous daddy, Hope.

I also thought it was so teenage drama queen of Hope to tell Alaric that how she knew Landon was a long story because it's NOT a long story at all! I totally cracked up when two minutes later she told him the oh so long and convoluted tale: he used to serve her milkshakes at the Mystic Grill. Yup, super long story.

Ha, glad to see that the Salvatore Dungeon of Doom is still being used to hold people against their will!

Alaric's parenting skills were in evidence tonight. Lizzie and Josie were snotty to Hope right in front of both Hope and Alaric and all he had to say was a very mild, "Everyone behave." That will definitely nip their mean girl tendencies right in the bud, Alaric. Lizzie's temper tantrum made me think that she has the emotional maturity and self control of a toddler, which is exactly why someone like her having magical skills is so dangerous.

For someone who doesn't know Hope very well, Landon already has her number. Much like her dear old daddy, Hope's M.O. is to leave.

Poor Josie. MG's betrayal probably hurt as much if not more than whatever Penelope did to her. I definitely do not need another sibling love triangle so I hope that Rafael ends up dating neither twin.

I liked TVD and TO in their earlier seasons so I'm going to keep watching Legacies for now. I'm interested in finding out what happens next week (and I think I am just happy that we saw Alaric, Matt, and some of the old Salvatore sets - I got all nostalgic about TVD and how much I used to love it).

Okay why are you so obsessed With Klaus? This is about Hope not her father.

Hmm, I tried this even though I gave up on TVD and TO years before they finished so I wasn't familiar with adult Hope. I did like it but I thought it was also rather bland, generic school drama with this universe thrown in. That said I'm going to give it a few more episodes and see if it gets more interesting. I like the Hope actress and it's nice to see Alaric. Landon did nothing for me good or bad and I guess that's going to be a big on going storyline this season. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, blazar said:

Okay why are you so obsessed With Klaus? This is about Hope not her father.

?‍♀️ The show is literally called Legacies... 

For what it's worth, I actually disagree with this:

On 10/26/2018 at 9:17 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm sorry, but the opening sentence of this show about how who is a hero and who is a villain just depends on who is telling the story made me laugh and then roll my eyes.

Because it does matter who is telling the story. In Stefan Salvatore's Diaries, Klaus stars as the Big Bad; in Dorian William's Diaries, that role belongs to Stefan and Klaus isn't even a guest star actor. Katherine was both Klaus's victim and a villain to many characters. And Elena, the "hero" of the story, committed vampire genocide. 

Heck, there's even some real-life parallels in this: *cough*Columbus*cough*.

So I kind of liked that scene. Where Hope tells Landon about her father being Klaus Mikaelson, expecting him to run or freak out and Landon has no idea who she's talking about because in his story, there were other monsters.

The TVD-verse has always played fast-and-loose with morality - our "heroes" are basically indistinguishable from the villains they fight - so it was nice to see the writing finally reflecting this: Hope can see Klaus as her hero because he was a hero to her and at the same time acknowledge that he was the villain to a lot of people.

Edited by ursula
  • Love 8

I really liked Hope in The Originals so I was pretty sure I would like her here too, and I do. It is nice to have Alaric back and I hope we will see Caroline at least once in a while. I also hope there will be more adults introduced. They have to have adult teachers, right?

It seems like MG is the only vampire.

I was pretty sure there was a reason other that vervain when Landon couldn't be compelled the first time, but I'm not ready to label him villain just yet.

I'm interested in seeing how they are going to show this school working. Considering they have to have teachers, staff, and parents, as well as students, there really are hundreds of possible stories.

All I ask is that they keep me entertained.

I was wondering whether Landon's compulsion didn't take because he had already been pre-compelled by someone else - when someone at the school gets in your face, gazes into your eyes and starts to give you orders to forget stuff, pay no attention to what they say. After you steal this one particular dagger [specifics to follow] and they try to put the whammy on you again pretend to go along then hightail it to following destination...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

I was wondering whether Landon's compulsion didn't take because he had already been pre-compelled by someone else - when someone at the school gets in your face, gazes into your eyes and starts to give you orders to forget stuff, pay no attention to what they say. After you steal this one particular dagger [specifics to follow] and they try to put the whammy on you again pretend to go along then hightail it to following destination...

I think the fact that they jumped so quickly to the conclusion that he must be another supernatural creature instead of this or a human that resist compulsion (Caroline's Dad) is supposed to steer us (audience) in that direction. 

When I watched the promos, I just assumed that Landon was going to be turned into a vampire, either by accident or mischief from one of the students, or even his own choice ---- so I'm kind of pleased that they're expanding their supernatural bestiary, so to speak. 

On 10/26/2018 at 9:17 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I actually thought she was doing the opposite. Unlike the MF gang, Hope was acknowledging that both of her parents (Klaus and Hayley) weren't necessarily good people, but they were good to her. A very healthy perspective to have in a world like theirs, tbh. The MF gang always came off as needlessly self righteous when every single one of them (Caroline included) had done some fcucked up things themselves (except maybe Tyler and Matt, but I didn't watch past season 5, so maybe that changed?) all in the name of Elena ---and Elena for herself.

I'm only watching this show because I liked Hope and I wanted to see where she'd be mentally in two years. She promised both her parents that she'd live her life to the fullest, but it's obvious that she isn't? I Also wanted to know what her relationship with the remaining Mikaelson clan was like. Does she stay with Freya and Keelin during breaks or Rebekah and Marcel? Does she bounce around between all 3 ---Bekah, Freya, and Kol?

Lizzie's not just a mean girl. And she's made it clear that she's tried multiple times to be friends with Hope and been rebuffed each time. While it's not an excuse to be openly hostile to a person just because they won't be your friend, it fits with what we've seen of her personality. While Josie handles it rationally (she's polite enough to Hope), Rejection sends Lizzie into fits ---probably due to the mental illness that runs in her family. Alaric was doing good fatherly work by trying to give her calming techniques to use when she feels herself slipping. But he also needs to send her to a therapist. I'm sure there's a supernaturally knowledgeable therapist out there somewhere.

I can already see where this love triangle is going ---Raf is gonna pick Josie...and then somewhere in season 5 pick Lizzie just cause. Or maybe JPleck will surprise us and Lizzie'll just move on to MG and the real triangle will be Penelope/Josie/Rafael. I could be down for that.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Gwen-Stacys said:

Raf is gonna pick Josie...and then somewhere in season 5 pick Lizzie just cause.

I think that Raf/Lizzie are endgame. They were deliberately written as season 1!Steroline and I feel the showrunner will deliberately repeat their dynamic to cement Steroline.

I liked that Hope mentioned Klaus and Hayley when giving her backstory. The Originals was all about Klaus and Hope, especially in the last season, so it was nice to see Hayley get a shout out as well.

Overall, I'm more interested in Hope's story line over the high school stuff. I was turned off by Vampire Diaries, but I did enjoy the Originals for what it was. Hopefully the show manages to balance both of those worlds instead of sticking to just one lane.

• Love 1

While The Vampire Diaries fell down in quality, I watched it to the end. I could never stomach The Originals. If Klaus shows up, I am out. I gather he died at the end of that show?

I generally like everyone on the show, more or less. 

Matt!!!!

While I liked VD and found TO to be what VD could have been (i.e., I'd rate VD 6,5 and TO 7,5), my first impressions of Legacies is somewhat mixed. At first glance it feels like any school drama out there (mainly because the whole action of the premise is going on in a school, granted, a school for supernaturally gifted persons, but a school nonetheless, and, because of that, you get your dose of teenage drama (mainly, love triangles and jealousy)), but it also has supernatural aspects that belong mainly in VD show (yes, VD, because TO was much darker in tone, save for probably the final season, in which, if I am being honest to myself, the main cast acted not like usual monster-inclined self). So, I guess, at first glance, it's something along the lines of Veronica Mars meets Vampire Diaries (would be the most accurate description). So, I guess that it wont be my cup of tea, but I will know that after this season is over. Who knows, maybe it will pleasantly surprise me.

P.S. What happened to Coraline? Towards the end of the episode, Alaric mentioned that no one has bothered this school in ten years time (well, if ten years has passed, why doesn't Hope look any older, while Alaric's kids, which we've seen in the last season of TO, were still... you know... kids, and now, they look much older (I'd say in the final years of high-school), but Alaric looks the same, Elena's friend (forgot his name) also not that old, if you compare the time when VD ended). So, what happened to Coraline? I'm pretty certain that she did not die in TO (unless, I snoozed out somewhere).