Type keyword(s) to search

S2, E2: Under the Surface

It’s a life-and-death situation when a young boy falls into water pipes beneath the city of Seattle. With the clock ticking, the firefighters of Station 19 jump into action to save his life.

I said this in the Grey's thread and I'll say it here: the plot of this episode was ripped from Hell or High Water, the episode of ER when Doug Ross had to save that boy from a concrete storm drain, except he had to do it in a raging flood.

44 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I said this in the Grey's thread and I'll say it here: the plot of this episode was ripped from Hell or High Water, the episode of ER when Doug Ross had to save that boy from a concrete storm drain, except he had to do it in a raging flood.

I thought about that episode too.  Wasn't Ross off duty?  I guess I really should not be surprised by two TV doctors taking off mid-shift to run around on a rescue.  Of course, Ross was a maverick too and would have done the same.

4 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Captain Sullivan speaks Spanish?  Such an unexpected twist!

No! Really? /s

Edited by elle
4 minutes ago, elle said:

I thought about that episode too.  Wasn't Ross off duty?  I guess I really should not be surprised by two TV doctors taking off mid-shift to run around on a rescue.  Of course, Ross was a maverick too and would have done the same.

You know, I actually think he was. Or it was one of the times he quit and wanted to open a private practice. Why I remember all these details over fifteen years later, I don't know.

8 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

You know, I actually think he was. Or it was one of the times he quit and wanted to open a private practice. Why I remember all these details over fifteen years later, I don't know.

It was a memorable episode or George Clooney in a Tux, your choice.

This wasn't bad at all.. If they keep this same energy.. And don't have overbearing annoying victims I could go from half paying attn to straight up focused watching.. I'm glad Maya blew up at Andy... The caption being able to speak Spanish was obvious.. I guess maybe they thought some ppl woulda been surprised.. I already knew Boris spoke some Spanish.. And maybe in Seattle they dont have afro-latinos or just regular ole black Folk who speak spanish... Either way.. Enjoyable 

7 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Do you happen to remember what happened to that boy? Doug saved him and he lived, right?

Yes!

Andy really should have told her dad that the captain spoke Spanish.

Oh, so I had no idea this was a two part episode. 

I...was thoroughly annoyed with Dean this episode, but it really bugged me when Andrew Deluca told Dean that Maggie has a boyfriend and his response wasn't to back off and say "ok, message received" but "Well, she didn't SEEM to have a boyfriend" despite the fact that, in the Grey's part of the crossover, he asked her out, Maggie laughed and didn't say anything about a boyfriend so how could he have possibly deduced that? Yeah, she could have said that she didnt have a boyfriend but Dean's response shouldn't have been what it actually was. 

Andy pouts because she's not getting the starring role out on the field. So she breaks protocol, loses the kid, and when she gets reprimanded, she pouts about it some more. Speaking of the kid, it looks like he's still a whiner. 

Sullivan. I love him stopping all the petty shit but he's still showing himself to be a great guy, with him allowing the father of Whiny McWhinerson to be in the field. He also reprimanded Andy a bit, though she keeps trying to be his buddy. 

I'm glad Maya is pissed at Andy. I hope it lasts for a while.

45 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Damn, that kid was annoying.  I’m glad he got rescued, but he was so annoying.

1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Speaking of the kid, it looks like he's still a whiner. 

I'm going to give this kid leeway here,  He is trying to deal with his mother dying and his father lying to him about it.  That is a lot for a kid.  Throw in the everything that happened in the drain system, the kid is overwhelmed.

33 minutes ago, elle said:

I'm going to give this kid leeway here,  He is trying to deal with his mother dying and his father lying to him about it.  That is a lot for a kid.  Throw in the everything that happened in the drain system, the kid is overwhelmed.

Yeah I guess we all are being assholes to like a 12 tear old kid who was in a fire..  taken to a hospital where his mother is dying.. His dad is in denial and lying so he runs off and falls in basically a well full of sewer water and almost dies... 

We should let that boy be

57 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Yeah I guess we all are being assholes to like a 12 tear old kid who was in a fire..  taken to a hospital where his mother is dying.. His dad is in denial and lying so he runs off and falls in basically a well full of sewer water and almost dies... 

We should let that boy be

I am sorry if my comment  can be inferred as calling someone else names.  I shared my point of view that I was willing to ignore this character's whining considering the circumstances. 

Even after the return to the station, Andy was still trying to convince herself that she did the right thing by jumping in.  She doesn't see anything beyond her tunnel vision, "I can be the hero" complex.  I can't help thinking what would have happened if Andy's actions had directly resulted in the kid's death (on a Shondaland show? Not a chance) right there in front of his father.  And it also seemed like Bishop was more annoyed at the fact that she was upstaged rather than the rescue failed. 

5 hours ago, elle said:

I am sorry if my comment  can be inferred as calling someone else names.  I shared my point of view that I was willing to ignore this character's whining considering the circumstances. 

Oh no.. I was agreeing with ur earlier statement that we should give the kid some leeway.. Sarcasm doesn't always convey via msg board post...As I scrolled the Grey's and Station 19 board I saw how many ppl were complaining about the kid.. And hell even I did but I started to think after I read ur post.. Then wrote my snarky one..  Sorry if it came off as me going at you

It was weird to hear a lot of dialogue about personal relationships, moving decisions and seeing Jack and the cop bicker while Max was in the sewer. 

It's a real shame the captain didn't get experience Andy's "Awesomeness"in the field but in the bedroom... that is yet to come!

Edited by mxc90
9 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

This wasn't bad at all.. If they keep this same energy.. And don't have overbearing annoying victims I could go from half paying attn to straight up focused watching.. I'm glad Maya blew up at Andy... The caption being able to speak Spanish was obvious.. I guess maybe they thought some ppl woulda been surprised.. I already knew Boris spoke some Spanish.. And maybe in Seattle they dont have afro-latinos or just regular ole black Folk who speak spanish... Either way.. Enjoyable 

When that whole Spanish dialogue was going on, I called it then.  In part to my real-life experience.  Many years ago, my mother had a friend, also African-American, who had a degree in Spanish and was a high school Spanish teacher in Chicago.  Naturally, he spoke fluent Spanish.  He spent a year in Puerto Rico, my mother and I visited him once, and he told stories how unsuspecting locals would talk to each other in Spanish around him, thinking he didn't understand, and he would answer in perfect Spanish lol.  I would be interested to find out how the Captain knows Spanish (I guess he could have been a Spanish teacher before joining FD, but it seems to me that he is a career firefighter).  All and all, too funny.

7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Even after the return to the station, Andy was still trying to convince herself that she did the right thing by jumping in.  She doesn't see anything beyond her tunnel vision, "I can be the hero" complex.  I can't help thinking what would have happened if Andy's actions had directly resulted in the kid's death (on a Shondaland show? Not a chance) right there in front of his father.  And it also seemed like Bishop was more annoyed at the fact that she was upstaged rather than the rescue failed. 

I think, with Maya, it was a little of both. Andy jumped in, stealing the moment from her when it was given to Maya specifically, but also that she was also more prepared to get the kid out than Andy. The issue definitely stems more around Andy needing to be the hero yet again and Maya being pushed aside and used. With Andy around, Maya may feel like she never gets to show how good of a firefighter she is, due to Andy always jumping in and trying to save the day herself. So I get the annoyance. I think Maya cared about Max's safety, but she was also annoyed by Andy's need to be the hero, as it always seems to happen and Maya feels like second fiddle. 

I'm onboard with Maya's annoyance but only in the context that she was the one equipped to make the rescue. I don't care if she feels like the second fiddle or not, in a life-or-death scenario I'd expect First Responders to be putting their patients first and their egos second. She had every right to be upset at Andy because Andy was not the one with the equipment needed. Getting ticked off that Andy is hogging the spotlight seems unprofessional.

11 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Getting ticked off that Andy is hogging the spotlight seems unprofessional.

Unprofessional but human.. And as others have said its also wrapped up in.. She was more prepared to attempt the rescue.. Add to that she was also trying to impress the boss.. The dynamic of  their friendship which seems like Maya is constantly being some kind of  emotional Sherpa for Andy consoling or comforting or encouraging Andy.. Plus if Andy is constantly jumping in even when its against protocol it could seem like she has a trust issue or deep down doesn't think Maya can do it things 

Fair enough. I just tend to be looking at it from the perspective of the person depending on them for rescue. If I'm down in the storm drain, then I don't care about egos I just want somebody to fish me out please.

3 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Oh no.. I was agreeing with ur earlier statement that we should give the kid some leeway.. Sarcasm doesn't always convey via msg board post...As I scrolled the Grey's and Station 19 board I saw how many ppl were complaining about the kid.. And hell even I did but I started to think after I read ur post.. Then wrote my snarky one..  Sorry if it came off as me going at you

Thank you, snark and sarcasm don't always read as we would want them to do so.

I could have expressed myself better.  I have a low tolerance for whiny kids, but this one seemed to at least have a reason to be that way.  The Andy character, otoh, may not have hit the same tones as the kid but boy was she grating.  She really should have shut down her father on the radio and he should have known that someone else would be listening whether or not anyone else could understand them.  It was unprofessional for both of them.  But, you know, it is a tv show.

I have no trouble snarking on the whiny kid, not because I wouldn’t sympathize with his situation, but because the writers did a terrible job writing a 10 year old like a 5 year old. I know we often have to suspend reality watching these shows but...

At least the kid didn’t get as much screen time as in Gray’s. 

Dean is so one note and annoying. Barrett Doss’s character is pretty much the only one I don’t hate, beside Maya when she’s not blowing smoke up Andy’s butt. I might actually enjoy a crossover pairing if they were to explore Hughes with Deluca (please no more Maggie adoration from Dean, its so awkward and forced).

The most annoying part of the show (after the kid) was Andy speaking in Spanish after not hearing what she wants to hear. Even if he didn’t understand Spanish, he should understand muttering under your breath using that tone doesn’t mean anything good! 

Edited by mehtotheworld
13 hours ago, mehtotheworld said:

The most annoying part of the show (after the kid) was Andy speaking in Spanish after not hearing what she wants to hear. Even if he didn’t understand Spanish, he should understand muttering under your breath using that tone doesn’t mean anything good! 

That was annoying and stupid on her part. Why assume someone doesn’t understand another language? And if someone calls me and I happen to answer on speaker I always say “You’re on speaker!” 

Andy is insufferable. In a profession where there are rules and protocol for a reason (safety of all being first) she’s constantly thumbing her nose at authority and breaking off to do her own thing. And then Andy pouts about it after. Selfish. 

The Spanish part (the kid also irked me some)was also one of the most annoying parts for me. Spanish is as common as English, so I thought it was silly for Andy & her dad to just assume the new captain didn’t know Spanish. Besides it’s really rude to hold a conversation in another language when you are speaking to other people you think may not know the language. I thought it was in bad taste, especially if Andy was trying to impress her boss. Holding an entire conversation in spanish with your dad, who shouldn’t even be at the station, probably wasn’t the best way to do that. And wouldn’t the old captain know, that the new captain could hear everything he was saying? Both of them were acting extremely unprofessional and just plain rude. 

Edited by Duchess8380
Misspelled words

I think many of us know a little Spanish, depending on where you live, but I wouldn't assume that everyone could decipher an entire Spanish conversation.  Nevertheless, it was very rude of her to hold the conversation in Spanish, assuming that the captain didn't understand.   But she comes off as rude anyway, so it didn't come as a surprise to me.