Type keyword(s) to search

S03:E02 Need to Know

New partners Murtaugh and Cole attempt to find a steady rhythm as they work to solve the murder of a finance executive. Meanwhile, Cole navigates his role with his ex, Natalie, and his daughter, Maya, and Avery grapples with the outcome of his campaign for city council.

That was probably my favorite episode since season one. 

I really liked that the grieving process is still ongoing and we saw how Trish is feeling too.  The whole partners theme worked as well.

I also find myself preferring the creative ways Cole avoids using a gun to the dangerous antics of Riggs.  

It took a bit for me to let it sink in but I'm loving this change.

It's also funny that Riggs was never supposed to be this long running character. Shane Black had him killed off at the end of part 2.

So, this actually kind of makes sense.

But, I like the differences between Cole and Riggs. 

Scott us doing great in the role.

I like Brewster getting more to do than just bouncing off Riggs. Even getting to be a little funny.

When the hell did Russell Wong get so old. It's been this long since Vanishing Son in the 90s. Man, I'm old too.

I started liking the episode and I ended up loving it.

I liked how they're establishing the differences between Roger and Cole, not all rainbows and unicorns. I like that Cole has good intentions and wants to help people, it's a surprising cocktail with his "my way or the highway" attitude when working.

I was very wary of Cole not having boundaries with Nat since it could easily veer into creepy territory, and the fact she has a BF (love triangle NOOOO). But as it happens, 1) Cole doesn't have boundaries with anyone not because he doesn't care, but because he isn't used to social relationships anymore and 2) he seems to respect the family she built, "I want my beloved to be happy" so in the end I was sympathetic to him.

Loved Cole talk with Avery and loved, loved, loved his discussion with Trish. Keesha Sharp always nails it and I'm glad that contrary to last season where she was mostly used for comic relief, the show seems to use fully her talents again.

Bailey having none of this BS, LOL. I hope she'll have more to do

Spoiler

before her new partner arrives in 3x06. So looking forward to this one.

I don't count on the show getting more than those 13 episodes which were ordered, but if every outing is of this quality, I'll gladly enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by Happy Harpy
15 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I started liking the episode and I ended up loving it.

I liked how they're establishing the differences between Roger and Cole, not all rainbows and unicorns. I like that Cole has good intentions and wants to help people, it's a surprising cocktail with his "my way or the highway" attitude when working.

I was very wary of Cole not having boundaries with Nat since it could easily veer into creepy territory, and the fact she has a BF (love triangle NOOOO). But as it happens, 1) Cole doesn't have boundaries with anyone not because he doesn't care, but because he isn't used to social relationships anymore and 2) he seems to respect the family she built, "I want my beloved to be happy" so in the end I was sympathetic to him.

Loved Cole talk with Avery and loved, loved, loved his discussion with Trish. Keesha Sharp always nails it and I'm glad that contrary to last season where she was mostly used for comic relief, the show seems to use fully her talents again.

Bailey having none of this BS, LOL. I hope she'll have more to do

Reveal hidden contents

before her new partner arrives in 3x06. So looking forward to this one.

I don't count on the show getting more than those 13 episodes which were ordered, but if every outing is of this quality, I'll gladly enjoy it while it lasts.

While LW is lower than it was last year, it had no dip in the demo from week to week. That's a great look. It also has a shit lead in. The gifted dropped a lot viewers over it's first season and still lost more coming back. 

19 hours ago, Racj82 said:

It took a bit for me to let it sink in but I'm loving this change.

It's also funny that Riggs was never supposed to be this long running character. Shane Black had him killed off at the end of part 2.

So, this actually kind of makes sense.

But, I like the differences between Cole and Riggs. 

Scott us doing great in the role.

I didn’t realize Riggs was supposed to die in the second movie but you are right-it does make sense. Riggs is just not a sustainable character. 

I like Cole a whole lot better than Riggs. I like that he tries to get the job done without hurting anybody. Self destructive Riggs was just boring for me after a while, especially last season.

It is too bad that Wayans has decided to let everyone know now that he is quitting. What a crappy thing to do to everyone else especially Scott.

11 hours ago, gibasi said:

I didn’t realize Riggs was supposed to die in the second movie but you are right-it does make sense. Riggs is just not a sustainable character. 

I like Cole a whole lot better than Riggs. I like that he tries to get the job done without hurting anybody. Self destructive Riggs was just boring for me after a while, especially last season.

It is too bad that Wayans has decided to let everyone know now that he is quitting. What a crappy thing to do to everyone else especially Scott.

I just read about Damon yesterday. For fucks sake. All of this drama and he has to go from Damon only for him to turn around and leave himself. 

I've never scene a police procedural implode like this before. Hopefully everyone else involved gets some solid gigs out of this.

14 hours ago, Racj82 said:

While LW is lower than it was last year, it had no dip in the demo from week to week. That's a great look. It also has a shit lead in. The gifted dropped a lot viewers over it's first season and still lost more coming back. 

I agree, it's a performance to maintain after everything and in that slot, but the non-Tuesday shows on FOX are all > 1.0 (I posted a longer version in the media thread).

11 hours ago, gibasi said:

For me Cole's character, in spite of his scars, brings back the sense of fun I felt the show had lost last season.

Edited by Happy Harpy

Having last seen SWS in his goofy doofus schtick from the late 90’s-00’s, my expectations were low. But I am fully on board with his Cole. And I totally buy him as a bad ass cia spook. Heellloooooo! His character and portrayal is so refreshing compared to Riggs. Self destructive is only watchable until it’s just depressing. 

I agree with pp that he brings a sense of fun back to the show. He has a good grasp on tortured/traumatized and light fun. And as someone else pointed out, I like the how many ways can we kick some ass without using a gun. He keeps the zany, hapless destruction of the franchise while being smart and trying to minimize the damage. I definitely feel much more heart in his character than Riggs. 

Joining the chorus: Seann William Scott is fantastic. Who knew? The action scenes blow my mind every time. I'm an action fan, but a shoot-out can only be so fun, and there are a lot of shows which rely on guns. SWS brings a different kind of action that makes him, and the show itself, stand out. And his dramatic chops? Like, did he seriously almost make me tear up in the end, with Trish? What? I'm also surprised by his previously untapped (as far as I recall) potential as a romantic lead. His scene with Jordana Brewster could have been a meet-cute in a romantic comedy. His scenes with Maggie Lawson (or his reactions over the phone, to be precise) could be from a romantic dramedy, just before he wins her back. Again, who knew? I am less surprised by his comedic talents, though. He's as hilarious as he's always been. Man, if this show ends, they really need to put him on a different show, stat.

Damon Wayans was also great, though. That Roger/Trish scene with both of them grieving was so good. And queen Keesha Sharp really is getting more to do this season. I never thought she'd get the big emotional moment at the end of the episode. Speaking of, is the writing for this show just... actually good? Surprisingly so? Down to the fact the "ex" gets her own jokes and her own scenes without being painted as a shrew or a villain? And the emotional moments, all of which land (in part, due to all these good actors, but also due to the dialogue itself)? Like... good job?

If 13 episodes is all we get, it looks like we'll get 13 great episodes. And I will be watching.

I still haven't watched. My DVR didn't catch it, and I haven't been in the mood this week. I'm not sure there's any point in catching up, since Wayans is now out, but everyone else: enjoy.

I enjoyed this episode but in light of all the recent news with DW I was kinda frustrated because when he wants to be, he is really good and I thought he was great in this episode.  So it bums me out how much he hates doing it and just quit leaving hundreds of people in the lurch.

For those enjoying SWS in this role, I would recommend the movies Goon and Goon 2. He plays a slightly dim-witted semi-pro hockey enforcer and I think he is really good in it.  The movies especially the first one are good as well.

15 hours ago, dusang said:

In Cole's defense -- it's actually a pretty reasonable thing to stop a man climbing over a locked fence.

Totally. When Cole was arrested I was shocked -- who would press charges (for a totally minor assault that was not unreasonable) after finding out it was a cop whose child lives in the house he was climbing over a fence to get to? And why would the ex go along with calling the cops? Later, the ex implies boyfriend called the cops without knowing who Cole was. Lame writing. IRL, he would have gone into the house and told her some crazy dude just tackled him, and she would have explained.

I like this new version, it's definitely brought more of the fun back. Too bad there's so much bullshit behind the scenes.

6 minutes ago, snarktini said:

Totally. When Cole was arrested I was shocked -- who would press charges (for a totally minor assault that was not unreasonable) after finding out it was a cop whose child lives in the house he was climbing over a fence to get to? And why would the ex go along with calling the cops? Later, the ex implies boyfriend called the cops without knowing who Cole was. Lame writing. IRL, he would have gone into the house and told her some crazy dude just tackled him, and she would have explained.

I like this new version, it's definitely brought more of the fun back. Too bad there's so much bullshit behind the scenes.

Technically the ex didn't know it was him until the cops brought him in. Why wouldn't the ex have ever mentioned she was living with someone? But the patrol officers would NEVER handcuff him.

3 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

Was that Josh from Young & Hungry?

It was.  I just finished bingeing that show and Josh appears on Lethal Weapon and Alan on 9-1-1.

3 hours ago, snarktini said:

It's not a totally unreasonable assault except that once Cole realizes he lives there, he just leaves and tells him to pretend like it didn't happen.  That's weird and I might call the cops on that.  It was pretty early in the morning too so I think he likely called the cops before going inside.

I was on the verge of quitting on the show altogether after this summer's drama, and I'm glad I didn't, because it's back to the light, fun show it was in season 1, but with a bit more maturity.

I read about Wayan's leaving, and, seriously, WTF. However I'd be fine with a show of just Cole and Trish (and Avery and Bailey as sidekicks). Trish is all kinds of awesome.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:57 PM, Princess Lucky said:

Joining the chorus: Seann William Scott is fantastic. Who knew? The action scenes blow my mind every time. I'm an action fan, but a shoot-out can only be so fun, and there are a lot of shows which rely on guns. SWS brings a different kind of action that makes him, and the show itself, stand out. And his dramatic chops? Like, did he seriously almost make me tear up in the end, with Trish? What? I'm also surprised by his previously untapped (as far as I recall) potential as a romantic lead. His scene with Jordana Brewster could have been a meet-cute in a romantic comedy. His scenes with Maggie Lawson (or his reactions over the phone, to be precise) could be from a romantic dramedy, just before he wins her back. Again, who knew? I am less surprised by his comedic talents, though. He's as hilarious as he's always been. Man, if this show ends, they really need to put him on a different show, stat.

Damon Wayans was also great, though. That Roger/Trish scene with both of them grieving was so good. And queen Keesha Sharp really is getting more to do this season. I never thought she'd get the big emotional moment at the end of the episode. Speaking of, is the writing for this show just... actually good? Surprisingly so? Down to the fact the "ex" gets her own jokes and her own scenes without being painted as a shrew or a villain? And the emotional moments, all of which land (in part, due to all these good actors, but also due to the dialogue itself)? Like... good job?

If 13 episodes is all we get, it looks like we'll get 13 great episodes. And I will be watching.

I am also blown away by how good SWS is. He manages to take a bunch of tired old character tropes and put a new spin on them. The popsicle "torture" scene could have been pure cheese but instead I watched that sequence thinking "Damn, he could carry this show by himself". And I like that his character is upbeat (or at least puts on a happy face). I am so over mopey dark dudes anchoring every show.

Having just watched the godawful Magnum PI reboot, I can't help thinking that SWS would have made a FAR better Magnum than Jay Hernandez.

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone SWS is a good addition.  Like I said in last week's thread, I am enjoying the background and personality they are crafting for him.  He's got that tortured hero thing going on, but he is reasonable about it.  Not exasperating or wallowing.  And he sells it well.

Honestly, I have no problems with DW leaving.  If he is not happy and he has health issues, then he needs to do what he needs to do.  I hate the way he has gone about it, though.  If  the show does survive him leaving, I only hope that somehow they are able to salvage Keesha Sharp and expand Bailey's role.  I hope I like her new partner.  I loved the B-team last season,  Just about the only bright spot from last season and hate that they didn't capitalize on them then.  And now the actor who played her fellow B-lister is gone.

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Honestly, I have no problems with DW leaving.  

Me either. Couldn't they figure something out where Murtaugh gets assigned to some sort of special nationwide investigative unit or the Justice Department or whatever and goes on extended trips and pops back in to guest star in like 3 episodes a season or something? Like Farrah Fawcett when she quit Charlie's Angels 8 million years ago. That way Trish can stay.

1 hour ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

Me either. Couldn't they figure something out where Murtaugh gets assigned to some sort of special nationwide investigative unit or the Justice Department or whatever and goes on extended trips and pops back in to guest star in like 3 episodes a season or something? Like Farrah Fawcett when she quit Charlie's Angels 8 million years ago. That way Trish can stay.

I think that they would have to kill him off to keep Cole around, as adopted family . The Murtaugh family is serious about partners and Roger on some other duty would have a new partner