Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: One Way Out

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Man, you can't even read the descriptions on TV episodes without getting spoiled. Thanks NF. I would have liked not to have immediately known that it was Mason who kidnapped Wendy.

Waterboarding sure didn't do Ruth any favors. She is completely broken down. Hopefully she gets her mojo back before Cade gets his hands on any of that money.

Most of all, Wendy and Marty better not end up giving that baby to the Snells! 

• Love 4

This is why I don't have the sound on my phone when I text. Also why you learn swipe. 

22 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Man, you can't even read the descriptions on TV episodes without getting spoiled. Thanks NF. I would have liked not to have immediately known that it was Mason who kidnapped Wendy.

Tell me about it. Or if you don't watch a show the exact minute it goes live they post spoilers all over FB. 

On 9/1/2018 at 12:28 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Why with Ruth making money with Marty is she still so under her Daddy’s thumb? 

I imagine it's a hard thing to break. 

I take Wendy's point, but you don't go to the Blue Cat at all. It definitely would tip off Petty. You have to be very careful, but I don't think that's nothing Marty can't handle. 

Wow Darlene doesn't turn it off ever. "Where's Wendy?" "I have no idea. Why?" Very simple. 

Pro tip - People who quote the bible are nuts. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 7

This seemed like kind of filler to me. I don't really care about Mason, and it's not really necessary to get a whole hour devoted to the theme that the Byrds are bad people who ruin lives. I've been well aware of that. I'm still rooting for them. 

Mason is sanctimonious jerk anyway, so I'm not finding myself mustering up much sympathy for him. Even for this show, it's a little much to think they could get the baby in one day. I kind of wish Marty came up with some plan to burn the house down or something. He's been looking for a way to die but was too much of a coward to do it himself, so he had to drag everyone else down. 

Not really a strategic move to go into the basement on Marty's part. Get him to bring Wendy outside and you leave. 

Great job by LL though. She had a ton of dialogue to plow though. 

Ugh - Ruth's dad is such a terrible criminal. 

I like how everyone wants to "protect" Wendy, but she's usually one step ahead of them all. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 10
On 9/1/2018 at 12:28 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Why ever did Marty pull the trigger? 

The guy was waving a gun around and negged on their deal of Marty delivering his baby to him in less than a day. He literally threatened to kill Wendy while grabbing her and making a move to impale a screwdriver into her neck. 

It wasn't like Marty trained the gun on him and took a premeditated shot. He almost missed anyway. I still would have burned the house.

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

In the age of binge watching, I know it's difficult sometimes to keep straight what happened on which episode, especially when watching a bunch of them over a short course of time. With that in mind, please be careful to only discuss the current (and/or former, if it relates) episode in each episode thread so as not to spoil other posters who haven't seen future episodes. Thanks! Please PM me with any questions.

On 9/3/2018 at 4:52 PM, ganesh said:

The guy was waving a gun around and negged on their deal of Marty delivering his baby to him in less than a day. He literally threatened to kill Wendy while grabbing her and making a move to impale a screwdriver into her neck.

Mason was an unhinged lunatic.  Marty pulled a rabbit out of a hat to get Zeke out of the foster home and back in his baby carrier, reunited with dear ole dad, and he pulls that crap on them.  I cheered when Marty pulled the trigger.  Too bad he bled out.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Mason was an unhinged lunatic.  Marty pulled a rabbit out of a hat to get Zeke out of the foster home and back in his baby carrier, reunited with dear ole dad, and he pulls that crap on them.  I cheered when Marty pulled the trigger.  Too bad he bled out.

Agreed but I also think Mason was pretty much crazy pants from the get go, and his personal tragedies kept reinforcing it. I wasn't cheering but to a point this was a pretty justifiable homicide. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I wasn't cheering but to a point this was a pretty justifiable homicide. 

I why TPTBs played it out that way because Marty realized he's really just as much of a criminal as everyone else. And I know they couldn't get the cops involved. I still felt it was a ton of filler for only a 10 episode show, and they probably could have gotten to that place quicker. I didn't like Mason since he was introduced, so this didn't generate any more sympathy from me. 

It's not like I wasn't rooting for the Byrds and it didn't change that at all. 

This better not be a dangling plot for next season either. This is shut and closed as far as I'm concerned. 

• Love 1
On 9/3/2018 at 6:06 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Am I the only one who didn't feel bad for Wendy? 

You're not.  I sympathize with her less and less.  Mason was calm until she turned on him.  I get that she didn't know if Marty would succeed in getting the baby, but it wasn't like a clock was ticking. 

One thing that's bugging me about the show is that these people still aren't communicating honestly with each other.  They should be sitting down regularly, telling each other what they've seen and heard and said.  And Marty running out of the house every five minutes to "take care of something" is getting kinda silly.

Ruth is the main attraction for me.  I'm even starting to kinda like her dad.  More than anyone, he's recognized what she's given up and what she's been through. 

• Love 6

What was she supposed to do? It was highly unlikely Marty was going to come through. You escape if you can. Besides, I don't think waving a gun around and kidnapping are features of being calm. He already was unstable. 

The clock was absolutely ticking. He said 24 hours or he'll kill Wendy. That seemed clear. The only odd thing was that no one thought to check his house at all. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, ganesh said:

What was she supposed to do? It was highly unlikely Marty was going to come through. You escape if you can. Besides, I don't think waving a gun around and kidnapping are features of being calm. He already was unstable.

He was pretty stable until Zeke was taken.  Why didn't Wendy tell him that Gail Snell was looking for a baby, when she warned him about taking Zeke to the police station?  Mason knew the Snells were dangerous -- he might have listened.  

I guess I need to start watching more closely, because I don't know why the cops (deputies?) took Zeke.  Was it on orders from the sheriff, since he's in the Snells' pocket? 

• Love 1

Yes, the episode started with him kidnapping Wendy, so he was unstable at that point. What I was saying was that even though he and Wendy were conversing and he was being fairly calm, he also told Marty on the phone in front of her that if Marty wasn't able to get the baby to him in a day that he was going to kill her. Given that, and the low chance Marty would be able to come though, her clocking him attempting to escape isn't unreasonable to me.

I was disputing that 

6 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Mason was calm until she turned on him.

Since he had already kidnapped her, pointed a gun to her head, and tied her to a chair in the basement, while threatening to kill her unless Marty pulled off a miracle. 

Even if she didn't try to escape, he totally flipped out when the baby was crying and said Marty "did something". So I'm not seeing that Wendy not trying to escape really factored into the outcome. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

I guess I need to start watching more closely, because I don't know why the cops (deputies?) took Zeke.  Was it on orders from the sheriff, since he's in the Snells' pocket? 

I dont necessarily think it was anyone's orders - Mason had a baby on the street for hours daily as he preached. I could see someone calling CPS. 

• Love 6

He thought it was Wendy because she had recently visited him and started the gofundme page, to which he threw the money in Marty's face. Wendy denied calling CPS when she was in the basement with him. 

And really, he was kind of antagonizing people on the street more than actual preaching, so it's not a stretch that someone random called to complain. 

• Love 7

Screw Mason.  His decisions are the reason he had so many problems.  The most sobering thing was when his wife told him, "It wasn't God that saved you, but the robber was a horrible shot." Or, something like that.  And, then Wendy told him the same thing.  Wendy was right in that he always made decisions that were contrary to good sense.  Even his wife knew it.  He was ragging on Wendy's faith, but talk about needing to look in a mirror.  IMO, his preaching on the street, etc was more to prove to himself that he was still religious vs him actually being it.  I do believe the Byrde's had nothing to do with his problems with CPS.  Someone else called CPS on him.  And, rightly so.  You are proselytizing on a street for hours, with a baby sitting in a car seat.  IDIOT!!  Now, he's dead, and his son is an orphan, because of another STUPID decision on his part. 

Edited by PsychoDrone
  • Love 11
On 9/16/2018 at 6:20 AM, PsychoDrone said:

Screw Mason.  His decisions are the reason he had so many problems.  The most sobering thing was when his wife told him, "It wasn't God that saved you, but the robber was a horrible shot." Or, something like that.  And, then Wendy told him the same thing.  Wendy was right in that he always made decisions that were contrary to good sense.  Even his wife knew it. 

Screw Mason so hard.  I was hoping he'd get killed.  He's been a dummy since the beginning.  They told him the Snell's were crazy and dangerous.  He could have kept preaching on the water or left town with his wife.  Instead, he antagonized those psychopaths, and then blamed everyone else.  Yup, everyone has some culpability, but goddam, all he had to do was listen and take the threats seriously.  

That baby is adorable though.  

• Love 6
On 9/9/2018 at 3:39 PM, AuntiePam said:

You're not.  I sympathize with her less and less.  Mason was calm until she turned on him.  I get that she didn't know if Marty would succeed in getting the baby, but it wasn't like a clock was ticking. 

One thing that's bugging me about the show is that these people still aren't communicating honestly with each other.  They should be sitting down regularly, telling each other what they've seen and heard and said.  And Marty running out of the house every five minutes to "take care of something" is getting kinda silly.

Ruth is the main attraction for me.  I'm even starting to kinda like her dad.  More than anyone, he's recognized what she's given up and what she's been through. 

Ruth is the only likeable character in the show now that the old man passed. Except for possibly the baby and that won't fly if the kid just cries for the entire hour

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

This episode was kinda one big eye roll for me.  I think the actor playing Mason is quite talented ... but Mason going crazy, and taking Wendy hostage to get his baby back, and then going even crazier until Marty killed him to save Wendy was just a stupid storyline.  

First of all: does Mason not have any family to help him?  Didn't Grace have family?  Is there literally nobody who actually cares about what's left of this little family who could've helped Mason look after little baby Zeke (and also tell Mason he seriously needs therapy)?  Not everyone in that church was a drug dealer, and you'd think some of the honest parishioners would try to help.  It seemed like they isolated Mason to make him a villain in the end and set up a scenario where Marty would kill someone and then feel bad about it.  

And Jason Bateman really did nail that scene.  Especially where Marty lists all the ways he tried to save Mason from the Snells and from Mason's own bad decisions, and when Marty has a panic attack after shooting.  

But still.  The whole thing was annoying and manipulative.