Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: The Light Above

• Start Topic

Jesse returns home for what he hopes is the last time, but in doing so angers Starr and endangers Cassidy.  Meanwhile, Tulip battles Hell and Nazis.

Original air date 2018.08.26

Tulip in hell battling Nazis!  Jesse returning to Angelville to kick some ass!  This should be action packed and as irreverent as always.

A whole lot of loose ends being wrapped up in this one, by which I mean that there's a lot of dying going on. Eccarius, most of his coven, Hoover, Granny, Granny's hired hands, Satan (!), and the sandwich Nazi (not related to the Soup Nazi). Whew!

After last episode I had this notion that the Cowboy was eventually (at least a couple of seasons from now) going to kill Satan, and then Hitler would take over, but I dismissed the idea as too implausible. And this week it happened. I hate it when I do that.

Jesse's conversation with his younger flashback self at the beginning was a nifty gimmick.

I can't help wondering what got hit when the Grail helicopter dropped the house. Did another celebrity house get destroyed? Have to see if there's anything about on the in-show TV or radio next season.

Hoover managed to prove that he really does suck. But then, what should one expect from a vampire named Hoover? I was kind of hoping he'd be redeemable.

The Sandwich Nazi and his little army must have spent a fortune getting all of that antique WWII gear. Newer stuff would probably have been a lot cheaper.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

A whole lot of loose ends being wrapped up in this one, by which I mean that there's a lot of dying going on. Eccarius, most of his coven, Hoover, Granny, Granny's hired hands, Satan (!), and the sandwich Nazi (not related to the Soup Nazi). Whew!

After last episode I had this notion that the Cowboy was eventually (at least a couple of seasons from now) going to kill Satan, and then Hitler would take over, but I dismissed the idea as too implausible. And this week it happened. I hate it when I do that.

Jesse's conversation with his younger flashback self at the beginning was a nifty gimmick.

I can't help wondering what got hit when the Grail helicopter dropped the house. Did another celebrity house get destroyed? Have to see if there's anything about on the in-show TV or radio next season.

Hoover managed to prove that he really does suck. But then, what should one expect from a vampire named Hoover? I was kind of hoping he'd be redeemable.

The Sandwich Nazi and his little army must have spent a fortune getting all of that antique WWII gear. Newer stuff would probably have been a lot cheaper.

I liked that too and the young actor has the same nose. I just checked to see about a possible Season 4 and so far it hasn't been canceled. Fingers crossed :) 

• Love 4

After the continuing disappointment and awfulness of Fear, what a relief it is to be able to just sit back and enjoy something so much, a too short season but they still manage to wrap a story up and leave us gagging for the next one. For my tastes they’ve just nailed it once again. 

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

For my tastes they’ve just nailed it once again. 

In my opinion, this was the best season by far. A few dull moments in the middle, but overall more interesting plot-wise and character-wise than the previous seasons. 

• Love 5

Yeah, I liked this season a lot more than the last, even if I didnt enjoy every single beat. It did drag a few times, and I still wish we could get to the dang road trip to find God, but I thought the pace was better, the characters were used in ways that felt natural, and I enjoyed all the stuff with the creepy plantation Jessie grew up on. It added a lot of that weird southern gothic mixed Tarantino style that this show mines at its best. 

• Love 2

I couldn't quite figure out why Eugene and Tulip were fighting against Hitler and the Nazis, other than the bad optics of Eugene and Tulip fighting for Hitler and the Nazis. If Eugene was so worried about Hitler escaping in the world, why didn't he do anything when he first set Hitler free.

Eugene seemed to have grudge (at the very end of the episode) against Jesse for sending him to Hell, yet he seemed to be very fond of Tulip.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

I thought it dropped in the water.

• Love 4

I am going to miss Hoover.  He was such a perfect lackey.  And the optics of him in the umbrella hat were wonderful.  Of course he would put on a silly hat and go out in the sun.  That's what Herr Starr wants.  

Tulip vs the Nazis - I'm going with the general agreement that you don't want to be on the side of the nazis in any altercation.  Also, Tulip enjoys a good fight. 

• Love 4

Killing Satan was a huge shocker. Are all the deals null and void now? 

I don't want to see Starr act stupid because he's got a huge revenge for Jesse. He's already tipped his hand with the headphones, but I have no idea why Jesse would just walk into that huge trap. I'm also hoping Cassidy saves himself and learns how to fly. 

• Love 1

"R.I.P. Hoover. He Died As He Lived: A Complete And Total Dumbass." Maybe if he had a white umbrella hat? No, Starr would've been, "A question for you: what has your height, your build, and is two seconds away from being engulfed in flame?" And Hoover wouldn't get the hint until he was half-dead. Dumbass.

Hey, at least Eugene is coming back, and he's got a new buddy in the Saint of Killers. Jesse is finally free of his family (though I don't get what he did to his grandma). Tulip got to beat up Nazis and meet God yet again (that character is SO annoying). And Cassidy one-ups Lebrat, turning him into a tasty dinner for new vampires. And then Hoover swings by and fucks it all to hell. At least we'll be checking off another box from the comics in Masada.

Hitler is not going to run Hell. Also, I'm amused that SoK told him to stay. Was Eugene more pure? Did the Saint read a history of WWII? Both?

• Love 1

No, on the bus last week SoK was chatting with the angel of death and she remarked how Eugene and Ruby weren't actually dead. He said "isn't that against the rules?" "God's gone. There's no rules." He kind of made a face. I commented on it last week. 

I think the whole crow thing put him over the top. 

So he told Hitler to stay because Hitler died and went to hell based on the proper rules. 

Jesse strapped Grandma to the machine that extracted her soul. 

I do hope Jesse gets to use the Voice more. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Jesse is finally free of his family (though I don't get what he did to his grandma).

Basically, she murdered his family, then enslaved and tortured him for much of his childhood, so it wasn't enough to just get free of her and destroy her new collection of soul pills.

I'm disappointed that no one ever got fed to the motorized grinder out by the dock.

Just occurred to me: Now that T.C. is gone, who's going to feed and "comfort" his goat?

57 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I know it looked pretty terminal, but can Satan be killed?

So, I've been thinking about this, but I can't remember, weren't the two guys chasing Genesis angels? And didn't The Saint kill them with his gun? If so, then yes, Satan has been killed. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if he turned up alive sometime.

On 8/27/2018 at 1:15 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I don't get how Marie could sign a deal with the Devil that would give him someone else's soul rather than hers. She'd have no claim, right? Moot point now I guess, but that made no sense to me.

This bothered me, too, but then I reasoned that Jesse owed her a debt (although I don't know that that gave her the right to his soul), and she sold his debt to Satan contingent on a future action (Jesse killing her). But that would complicate her saying his debt was paid when compelled by Genesis; she didn't own the whole debt anymore.

Likewise, when Jesse texted Tulip that he was off to kill Gran'ma, I expected Tulip to remind him that it might kill her to. I'm glad we were shown Jesse forcing Gran'ma to release her.

So, Jesse saw something redemptive in T.C.? I guess it's because he didn't actually see how his mother died. And I believe that Jody was proud of Jesse. 

I was a little surprised that Marie actually let teen Jesse leave when she wouldn't let his mother do so. Perhaps she actually did regret the outcome of that decision. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
On 8/27/2018 at 5:45 PM, AnimeMania said:

I couldn't quite figure out why Eugene and Tulip were fighting against Hitler and the Nazis, other than the bad optics of Eugene and Tulip fighting for Hitler and the Nazis. If Eugene was so worried about Hitler escaping in the world, why didn't he do anything when he first set Hitler free.

Eugene thought that Hitler had repented in Hell. He was the only one who was nice to him and seemed remorseful about his actions. Then he realized that Hitler was still Hitler and didn't want to be responsible for returning him to earth. Eugene believes in second chances, but clearly this was a mistake.

Jesse could so easily have forced Starr to completely forget about him, Tulip and Cassidy if he didn't want to kill him, or convinced him that he was a mime, or a million other possibilities that would have avoided the situation they now find themselves in, but then we wouldn't have a show.

• Love 3
On 8/27/2018 at 10:42 PM, Lantern7 said:

Jesse is finally free of his family (though I don't get what he did to his grandma).

On 8/27/2018 at 10:56 PM, ganesh said:

Jesse strapped Grandma to the machine that extracted her soul.

Yes; for a normal person, sucking out their soul seems to leave them an unaging shell of a person. For Gran'ma, extracting all the souls she had consumed to extend her lifespan returned her to her true age and bodily condition, way past a natural life span, so she died.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

SoK guns can kill anything. 

I'll give Jesse a bit of a pass on that he just got the voice back and was nearly killed so he wasn't thinking strategically in what to order Starr to do. 

To be fair, Starr is smart enough to find loopholes in anything Jesse might order. 

In a 4th season though, I'm not as willing to cut Jesse as much slack. There's a whole army with noise canceling headphones. I would avoid that. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

So, I've been thinking about this, but I can't remember, weren't the two guys chasing Genesis angels? And didn't The Saint kill them with his gun? If so, then yes, Satan has been killed. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if he turned up alive sometime.

Ah DeBlanc and Fiore, they were the best characters, we lost them too early.  So Big Red is just a standard Angel type then, no immortality super powers or such like?

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 6

So did Jesse just send grandma to heaven instead of letting her die of old age in a few days? That doesn't seem like much of a win...

The guy he should have killed is Star. How many times does not dealing with him have to bite him in the ass, before he does something about it? At the very least he could have told him "if you come after me or my friends again, or send your people after me or my friends, kill yourself". That would have done it.

Going to miss Hover. But he was too dumb, to run through the doorway into the shade that was one meter away. So he was really too dumb to live.

Fun season overall. Looking foreward to Hitler being in charge of hell.

On 27.8.2018 at 7:15 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I don't get how Marie could sign a deal with the Devil that would give him someone else's soul rather than hers. She'd have no claim, right? Moot point now I guess, but that made no sense to me.

I think murder sends your soul to hell. So I guess the deal was more "If you get him to kill you, I won't lay a claim on your soul and let you go to heaven". So far Jesse had only really killed in self defense.

On 29.8.2018 at 12:50 PM, OoohMaggie said:

As far as we know the saint can kill anything. Also Satan is really just another angel and he killed angels before. What is really going to be interesting is seeing if he can kill god. That seems to be endgame now.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 1