Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Sequel

• Start Topic

CHANGING THE NARRATIVE 
MEET KATHERINE MCNAMARA

NAUREEN NASHID / JAN 15, 2019
https://tmrwmagazine.com/features/culture/changing-the-narrative

Transitioning from that, McNamara is joining the cast of Arrow, as a recurring character named Maya. Similar to Clary, her character in this show is a strong and fierce female. McNamara reveals, “Maya is a fighter in form and in function. It’s her job and also who she is as a human being. She has grown up in this world and is not to be messed with. She has grown to be just as tough or tougher than her environment, and it’s served her well up until this point. I think it’s so smart and it’s not only reinventing the show, but also going back to its roots. It’s this dichotomy that somehow creates a fresh start with so much of the heart of the show that we love in Arrow.”

I still do not know how an Olicitot can have such a rough life unless she gets kidnapped and they think they've lost her forever.

Oliver went through hell for 5 years but he's a total sweetheart because of Felicity. No way she would be like this if her parents were around.

Unless they have her kidnapped at 2yo or so I don't see how this will work plot wise. Even then it will be depressing as heck. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I still do not know how an Olicitot can have such a rough life unless she gets kidnapped and they think they've lost her forever.

Not necessarily. It could simply be the fact that she grew up in Star City/the Glades and that's the only life she's known, while William never returned after some undetermined point -- I assume we'll find out more about Olicity supposedly abandoning him in the future after 712, when he returns from boarding school and they can stop pretending like Oliver and Felicity never saw him again. 

• Love 2
Just now, insomniadreams88 said:

Not necessarily. It could simply be the fact that she grew up in Star City/the Glades and that's the only life she's known, while William never returned after some undetermined point -- I assume we'll find out more about Olicity supposedly abandoning him in the future after 712, when he returns from boarding school and they can stop pretending like Oliver and Felicity never saw him again. 

But if her parents were around would her life be that rough?

Sure she could be chased by a villain every month (and need to know how to fight) but she'd still have mummy and daddy every night. She should still be happy just like Oliver and Felicity who are actually really well adjusted (possibly unrealistically so) despite everything they've been through. 

Unless they are hyping how tough Maya is (and she seems pretty tough in the FF) I don't see how she can be the Olicitot in a way that would make sense. Or if she is the Olicitot, she must have lost her parents.

8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I don't see how she can be the Olicitot in a way that would make sense.

You should stop expecting anything in the flashforwards to make sense. They're not telling us the whole story, because they want to keep us confused so they can have their ~shocking reveals. What ultimately gets revealed will probably not be half as bad as we've been led to believe. There are some dots that just won't connect to what we've been told once we finally know what actually happened. 

• Love 10

William still had what I think would be considered a rough life with both Oliver and Felicity in his life (heck, his life didn't even get rough until Oliver entered into it), so it's pretty much that times two since she would have been raised in that life during formative years in a world where each year there has to be some sort of even more devastating event that happens to hurt Oliver/Felicity as if they were controlled by writers who are using their go-to way to create drama.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

You should stop expecting anything in the flashforwards to make sense. They're not telling us the whole story, because they want to keep us confused so they can have their ~shocking reveals. What ultimately gets revealed will probably not be half as bad as we've been led to believe. There are some dots that just won't connect to what we've been told once we finally know what actually happened. 

Haha I get your point I do! I just...it should make SOME sense!

I understand the need to hand wave a lot of stuff in order to watch this show but the way they keep harping on about Maya is giving me doubts.

I think in my mind her life would be kind of like Oliver and Felicity's right now. Shit happens to them every year, loooots of shit, but every year they bounce back and seem happy with each other still whereas they are selling it like Maya has been living on the streets and sharing food with stray cats all her life.

Edited by Mellowyellow
12 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Same as the Flashbacks 😕 and even S3 LoA story (oh wait surprise Oliver and Malcolm were in cahoots!)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

In that clip where she's touching his face, is she heading in for a kiss? I am wondering if I should get excited for a kiss or is she just caressing his face (which she often does).

It looks like a kiss! I just hope it’s not one like the wedding reception episode where they filmed at the wrong angle and we saw nothing. I wanna see mouths touching, directors! 😂

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Oliver went through hell for 5 years but he's a total sweetheart because of Felicity. No way she would be like this if her parents were around.

Unless they have her kidnapped at 2yo or so I don't see how this will work plot wise. Even then it will be depressing as heck. 

I’m personally still not convinced she’s even Olicity’s kid but I think if they did have kids, they’d probably have a difficult upbringing. Their parents are vigilantes. They’ll probably get kidnapped by the villain at some point. Their home will likely get broken into. All those things have happened to William already and is pretty rough going compared to the average upbringing. 

Edited by Angel12d
8 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

If Roy shows up in one of these interviews did the show forget that Roy is "dead" and also confessed to being the Hood/Arrow and went to jail for it? 

The prosecutor revealed that Roy was alive and coming as a surprise witness to testify against Oliver (because he was kidnapped and threatened by Diaz) in 615 and Oliver confessed that Roy wasn't the Green Arrow in 623.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, way2interested said:

The prosecutor revealed that Roy was alive and coming as a surprise witness to testify against Oliver (because he was kidnapped and threatened by Diaz) in 615 and Oliver confessed that Roy wasn't the Green Arrow in 623.

Oh shit, you're right, i totally forgot about that. Damn that's what happens when you watch while playing a game on your phone

4 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Also i  find it funny how Beth said LL will  be involved, and TV Line made the headline she will lead. 

Yeah, that confused me. Unless it's part of a longer quote we'll see in the full Q&A I guess will be posted Monday? But I don't get holding it considering the headline. 

6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

New mini interview with Beth. States they will do BOP again and Laurel will be involved and that we'll be getting a definitive answer as to where her allegiance lies.

I wasn't aware we were supposed to be wondering about that. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I wasn't aware we were supposed to be wondering about that. 

Pretty sure Beth has been saying that since the beginning of the season, of course they pretty much answered it but this is Arrow so....logic ya know. 

1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

Pretty sure Beth has been saying that since the beginning of the season, of course they pretty much answered it but this is Arrow so....logic ya know. 

I mean, she took over E-1 Laurel's life down to adopting her dad and taking her job. She hasn't really done anything at all this season to make people think she's not trying to be better. Unless she does something shady in an upcoming episode that reveals it's all been a ruse for something, it's just...????

• Love 3
Just now, way2interested said:

Going with either 717, since 217 was their other BoP episode and right in the middle and Beth seems to be writing 718.

Well we will know when Tonyas name appear in the writing credits

• Love 4

No, I got it. 

7x11 is the backstory ep where BS decides she's sick of playing nice. She kills a bunch of people and then goes on the run.

7x?  she returns to Star City. Felicity/Emiko/BC team up to take her down. She's the villain of the week. 

• Love 2

Well I mean the last time they did a birds of prey inspired episode it sucked and given the choices on the team this go around Black Siren, permantly scowling or giving stink face, Dinah, absolutely no charisma unless you count her attempts to make sultry eyes at inappropriate times and people, and New Green Arrow, who's a wild card but from what I've seen seems melodramatic, I think this one will be a raging success. 

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Well I mean the last time they did a birds of prey inspired episode it sucked and given the choices on the team this go around Black Siren, permantly scowling or giving stink face, Dinah, absolutely no charisma unless you count her attempts to make sultry eyes at inappropriate times and people, and New Green Arrow, who's a wild card but from what I've seen seems melodramatic, I think this one will be a raging success. 

They'd probably have Siren/Overwatch team up which has been successful. Add in Emiko or BC.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

They'd probably have Siren/Overwatch team up which has been successful. Add in Emiko or BC.

Was it though? I feel like it was only perceived as successful because anything involving Felicity is generally well recieved. 

• Love 5

There's a lot to unpack in this Q&A, but:

Are Oliver and Felicity going to have to go through a readjustment period when William comes back?
Schwartz: Yeah. When he comes back ... he will explain a little bit. In the future we see him, [and] he feels like Oliver and Felicity abandoned him. We'll explain some of that in our present day story and just see how he's been affected by everything, not just this season. Most recently this season, but as well as just everything that happened to him as soon as he knew that Oliver was his father. He's definitely had a rough couple of years, so it will start affecting him, and we'll see that in the present day story.

This - being sent off to boarding school, because a villain tried to kill him - is what he's been complaining about in the FFs? Am I misreading this?

I also LOLed that in one question Beth said that we'll get to the question of whether Laurel can be redeemed or not in the back half of the season, and in the very next answer she says that Laurel and Felicity are going to butt heads because being friends with a former villain is hard. Goodness.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Mary0360 said:

Happy about the Olicity teases but want to cry about the all flash forward episode. Please please can Oliver Felicity and Diggle show up in the FF before then. 

MAYBE they show up in the FF in that episode?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Happy about the Olicity teases but want to cry about the all flash forward episode. Please please can Oliver Felicity and Diggle show up in the FF before then. 

I don't know about Oliver and Diggle, but since Beth said ep 16 will be the answer to Felicity's death "mystery," I don't think she'll be showing up before then.

I feel like I can't trust anything about the FFs anymore. Didn't William say he didn't want to ever return to Star City in the ep he and Roy returned? For all we know, Oliver and Felicity suggested that he live his life away from SC because things were so awful once he was an adult, he agreed, became successful, etc., but now he's whining that he's been abandoned. 

5 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

MAYBE they show up in the FF in that episode?

Yeah, the fact that the writer of the TVG article tweeted it out with the caption "*patiently waits for #Arrow's all flash-forward episode*" and the heart eyes emojis makes me think that the FF episode will tell us about what's going on with Felicity and Oliver in the future, and it will be good news. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it, but otherwise that's a super weird caption.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

There's a lot to unpack in this Q&A, but:

This - being sent off to boarding school, because a villain tried to kill him - is what he's been complaining about in the FFs? Am I misreading this?

That's how I read it too. Like he's going to come home from boarding school complaining he was abandon and carrying a chip on his shoulder about it which will then affect his relationship with Oliver and Felicity in the present to the point that he has issues with them in the future.

I mean Robert and Moira planned mass murder and destruction, committed actual murder and kidnapped Oliver, Felicitys father abandoned her as a child to start a criminal organisation and they managed to still have some level respect and love for their parents but William spends a couple months in a likely expensive boarding school and he's still a brat about it twenty years later. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I feel like I can't trust anything about the FFs anymore. Didn't William say he didn't want to ever return to Star City in the ep he and Roy returned? For all we know, Oliver and Felicity suggested that he live his life away from SC because things were so awful once he was an adult, he agreed, became successful, etc., but now he's whining that he's been abandoned. 

Yeah, Beth's answer made it seem like all of his issues that he's been talking about in the future come from being sent to boarding school for a few months while his father was in prison and a psycho was trying to kill him. I really really hope there's more to it than that.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I don't know about Oliver and Diggle, but since Beth said ep 16 will be the answer to Felicity's death "mystery," I don't think she'll be showing up before then.

As long as one of them is in the all flash forward episode. I don't think I'll be able to handle just Rene Dinah Roy Maya William and Zoe for a full episode. 

• Love 2

Well. I don’t care about a BOP episode and I don’t want to watch an all flashforward episode so I’m very much meh about all of this tbh. 😂

Really, Beth. Thinking Dinah and the rest of the flashforward crew can carry a whole episode is the dumbest thing I’ve heard. 🙄

• Love 2
Just now, Angel12d said:

Well. I don’t care about a BOP episode and I don’t want to watch an all flashforward episode so I’m very much meh about all of this tbh. 😂

Really, Beth. Thinking Dinah and the rest of the flashforward crew can carry a whole episode is the dumbest thing I’ve heard. 🙄

Well i think episode 16 is where Felicity is gonna show up in FF. 

39 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Was it though? I feel like it was only perceived as successful because anything involving Felicity is generally well recieved. 

The fact that a lot of people liked their dynamic. I'd say it was. Felicity/Rene Felicity/Curtis certainly haven't had as much come out of it like FL have. 

• Love 1