Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E18: Nominations #6

Lamb18
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

"Competition" is used all in the time in BB

Indeed, one of the ways to differentiate between the three CBS reality shows is that they each have a different name for their gameplay elements:

Big Brother has "competitions".

Survivor has "challenges".

The Amazing Race has "tasks".

Consistent and unvarying, across all 88 combined seasons.  (Counting OTT and the Celebrity edition.)  If you ever forget which show you're watching, just wait for Phil/Jeff/Julie to say the appropriate magic word and there you go.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I used to play a lot of word jumble games so I guess that helped

Yep - If you're a regular Jumble player, this was the comp for YOU!  I did the same thing - I had those words in a matter of seconds.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

Those are phrases rather than words.

They could have opened it up to short phrases. Something like "memory wall" or "julie chen" would be of reasonable size and more BB-specific than "punishment". "zingbot" would have been a good BB warmup word at the beginning.

I fell asleep after work on Sunday and woke up just before the hack comp.  Was Sam trying to pull something?  It seemed like it wasn't even possible from what I heard.  Having her do so badly on the words gave me the giggles.

2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I fell asleep after work on Sunday and woke up just before the hack comp.  Was Sam trying to pull something?  It seemed like it wasn't even possible from what I heard.  Having her do so badly on the words gave me the giggles.

Sam was irritated with the latest Production-imposed twist (the Hacker Comp), so she decided to pull a Norma Rae - in effect, trying to organize a sit-down “strike” by the HGs against Production.  Sam’s idea was to (a) present herself as a “neutral” HG who would promise to never use any part of the Hacker’s powers, and (b) convince the other HGs to unanimously agree to throw the Hacker comp to her - end result being effectively total nullification of the Hacker’s presence in the game.

Surprisingly, the other HGs didn’t appear inclined to go along with the idea.  ;>

Naive as hell, but good TV nonetheless.

Edited by Nashville
Expansion
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Sam’s idea was to (a) present herself as a “neutral” HG who would promise to never use any part of the Hacker’s powers, and (b) convince the other HGs to unanimously agree to throw the Hacker comp to her - end result being effectively total nullification of the Hacker’s presence in the game.

Since the point of the power was to override what the HOH wants, I think the best way to minimize it would have been to throw it to the HOH.

19 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Since the point of the power was to override what the HOH wants, I think the best way to minimize it would have been to throw it to the HOH.

Either way, wouldn’t have worked.  None of the other HGs - particularly those OTB and their allies - have any motivation to throw a comp which could wrest game control away from an antagonistic HoH, even if only partially.  Far from it, in fact.

5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Either way, wouldn’t have worked.  None of the other HGs - particularly those OTB and their allies - have any motivation to throw a comp which could wrest game control away from an antagonistic HoH, even if only partially.  Far from it, in fact.

Also the fact that the comp would've been impossible to throw. Unless everyone just sat there not typing anything.

56 minutes ago, springbarb said:

Also the fact that the comp would've been impossible to throw. Unless everyone just sat there not typing anything.

With the “first three” format of the comp, even that wouldn’t have worked.  :)

• Love 2

I would have loved it if they'd done the comp using nasty descriptions of the Houseguests.  I.E.:

"Bitchface" (Angela)

"Douchebro" (Brett)

"Deadweight" (Kaycee)

"Laughable" (Rockpile)

"Moralizer" (Sam)

"Dumbass" (Fessy, of course)

"Delusional" (Bayleigh)

and "Egomaniac" (Tyler and/or JC)

That only leaves Haleigh.  I guess she could be "Slattern"…that'd satisfy Aunt Sam, anyhow.

Oh, well…maybe next year.

Yours truly,

"Deranged"

ETA:  Whoops, forgot Scottie.  Therefore I name him "Irrelevant". Sorry, Scottie.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

I would have loved it if they'd done the comp using nasty descriptions of the Houseguests.  I.E.:

"Bitchface" (Angela)

"Douchebro" (Brett)

"Deadweight" (Kaycee)

"Laughable" (Rockpile)

"Moralizer" (Sam)

"Dumbass" (Fessy, of course)

"Delusional" (Bayleigh)

and "Egomaniac" (Tyler and/or JC)

That only leaves Haleigh.  I guess she could be "Slattern"…that'd satisfy Aunt Sam, anyhow.

Oh, well…maybe next year.

Yours truly,

"Deranged"

ETA:  Whoops, forgot Scottie.  Therefore I name him "Irrelevant". Sorry, Scottie.

You been peeking at the plans for the Comic Book comp?  ;>

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Nashville said:

Sam was irritated with the latest Production-imposed twist (the Hacker Comp), so she decided to pull a Norma Rae - in effect, trying to organize a sit-down “strike” by the HGs against Production.  Sam’s idea was to (a) present herself as a “neutral” HG who would promise to never use any part of the Hacker’s powers, and (b) convince the other HGs to unanimously agree to throw the Hacker comp to her - end result being effectively total nullification of the Hacker’s presence in the game.

Surprisingly, the other HGs didn’t appear inclined to go along with the idea.  ;>

Naive as hell, but good TV nonetheless.

I am surprised that production didn't make an "example" of her.  Good TV - so true!

@Nashville - Thanks for all your upkeep on comps and such.

• Love 1

What’s funny is while the viewing audience might catch the inference of the Hacker’s Russian accent, it probably went right over the HGs’ heads - they’ve been locked up for, what, 49 days now?  They were most likely expecting some mention of Moose and Squirrel.

• Love 2

Well, I don't know if the HGs would know that reference.  

And Rachel Maddow has been devoting her shows to Russia for far longer than 49 days, I'll just say.  But we have a "no politics" rule here, so I'll just leave it at that.

21 hours ago, xKHANx said:

I wish there would have been a clock so we knew how long it took folks to get the words.

But then production wouldn't be able to manipulate the results, if we could see a timer.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Nashville said:

They might.  Most of these HGs are late ‘80s/early ‘90s kids - and while the original Frostbite Falls references would be before their time,  “Boris and Natasha” was not.

But with an underwhelming box office of less than $300,000, this is not the cultural juggernaut that Rocky & Bullwinkle was; I'd be surprised if anyone other than cult movie buffs or R&B superfans remember this (which were you?)

3 minutes ago, ashleylm said:

But with an underwhelming box office of less than $300,000, this is not the cultural juggernaut that Rocky & Bullwinkle was; I'd be surprised if anyone other than cult movie buffs or R&B superfans remember this (which were you?)

Only reason *I* knew the movie existed was because my kids liked it back then - and they’re 26 and 30 now, so I figured them to be pretty representative, BB-age-wise.  Maybe it did better on VHS/DVD...?  :)

16 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

And Rachel Maddow has been devoting her shows to Russia for far longer than 49 days, I'll just say. 

But, the general media lost interest in the hackers back when it was revealed they didn't favor either candidate, so the reference doesn't really fit with the power up for grabs.

I loved the look on Tyler's face (as well as pathetic body language) after being the hacked nom.  He gleefully stabs people in the back and brags in the DR, but then when he's nominated he turns into a four y/o who just got socks for Christmas.

I'm now rooting for Haleigh - the only one to finally see through Tyler.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, Mumbles said:

That bitchy remark tonight, about if she were in Rachel’s shoes at 30, she would be questioning her choices in life? Screw you. 

Rachel is a far better person than me.  Why she isn't posting screen caps of Angela's moustache is beyond me.  

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I loved the look on Tyler's face (as well as pathetic body language) after being the hacked nom.  He gleefully stabs people in the back and brags in the DR, but then when he's nominated he turns into a four y/o who just got socks for Christmas.

I'm now rooting for Haleigh - the only one to finally see through Tyler.

Hmmmm, I didn't see him shout in rage, break down in uncontrollable pathetic tears, accuse everyone of being monsters, scream in their face and go off and have a temper tantrum/breakdown over it.  I thought he handled it remarkably well especially as it was a shot at him that came unexpectedly out of nowhere.  Imagine if that happened to some of the other houseguests there and what their reaction would be.

Nope, I think he handled it all quite well.  He looked surprised and shocked as anyone would be.   So what.  He quickly recovered and then he said he is just out to find the hacker and target them since they are a danger to him.  Like any good player would.

Edited by green
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, green said:

Hmmmm, I didn't see him shout in rage, break down in uncontrollable pathetic tears, accuse everyone of being monsters, scream in their face and go off and have a temper tantrum/breakdown over it.  I thought he handled it remarkably well especially as it was a shot at him that came unexpectedly out of nowhere.  Imagine if that happened to some of the other houseguests there and what their reaction would be.

Nope, I think he handled it all quite well.  He looked surprised and shocked as anyone would be.   So what.  He quickly recovered and then he said he is just out to find the hacker and target them since they are a danger to him.  Like any good player would.

Okay, but as I compared him to a four year old, I don't get your point.  I've never seen a four year old exhibit the actions you are listing.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Okay, but as I compared him to a four year old, I don't get your point.  I've never seen a four year old exhibit the actions you are listing.

Oh okay.  Your 4 year old doesn't like socks.  I guess I just ran with the 4 year old of my image of a temper tantrum throwing, all about me crying, screaming, little spoiled brat.  Me bad.  I like your 4 year old better.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

I'm just glad that when Tyler stomped off after being nominated, we finally got confirmation that the rotating HG benches (and nominee seats) are on a raised platform this year.  (Tyler nearly tripped stepping down from it.) 

I mean, I'd been wondering how when they had the players assembled for the Week 4 Veto (the one that Rachel Reilly hosted) JC looked as though he was nearly as tall as Kaitlyn.  When I'd been seeing him be not even as high as some of the other girls' nipples in other scenes.  Solution:  he was on the platform, and Kaitlyn/Angie/Faysal/Sam/Haleigh were on the floor, in front of the monitor.  Been driving me nuts for two weeks, this has.

15 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

You’ve never been grocery shopping before...?  Wow.  ;)

• Love 3