Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Flaca sold fake drugs in the form of little temporary tattoos or stickers and a boy committed suicide while he thought he was under the influence of the fake drug.

Sofia committed credit card/identity theft to finance surgery.

Suzanne took a little boy that she knew home with her and then wouldn't let him leave, not seeming to realize she was kidnapping him and being threatening toward him.  He got scared and jumped out the window and probably died.

Freida has apparently murdered people but I'm not sure we ever got a detailed account of her actual crimes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Fig has committed worse crimes than some of these women and she’s interim warden. 

I think Poussey was in for possession. 

Doggett shot (killed?) a nurse who disrespected her when she got her 5th or 6th abortion.

A lot of women were roped into their partner’s or lover’s drug-related crimes - Gloria, Aleida, Daya, and of course, Piper.

Lorna was a stalker and credit card fraudster. 

Did Norma kill a cult leader?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, BosomBuddy said:

Fig has committed worse crimes than some of these women and she’s interim warden. 

I think Poussey was in for possession. 

Doggett shot (killed?) a nurse who disrespected her when she got her 5th or 6th abortion.

A lot of women were roped into their partner’s or lover’s drug-related crimes - Gloria, Aleida, Daya, and of course, Piper.

Did Norma kill a cult leader?

Ugh, Norma, yuck!  I think she was his last follower and she finally got tired of his verbal abuse and pushed him off a cliff at some kind of nature park or something.

I wonder how long Suzanne’s sentence is.

• Useful 2

Alex is in for drug trafficking.

Yoga Jones was growing pot and accidentally shot a tresspasser? I think?

I think Cindy is in for stealing... something about her working at an airport and taking stuff from luggage?

I think Gloria is in for food stamp fraud. She was letting people trade their food stamps for cash.  Or was she the one who accidentally started a fire with her candles and might be in for arson?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yoga Jones shot a kid when she was drunk. She thought it was a deer going over her fence to get the weed she was growing but it was a young boy running away from home.

Janae was in for robbery.

Red let the Russian Mafia store bodies in her freezers.

Miss Claudette was in for murder when one of her clients assaulted one of her workers. And then she went to Max for assaulting a guard.

Rosa was in for bank robbery.

Sister Ingalls was in for either trespassing or vandalizing a nuclear power plant. Soso was also a political protester.

I don't think they ever explicitly said but Big Boo was probably in for theft - there was an allusion to this in season 2 I think.

Maritza was in for grand theft auto.

Blanca was in for elder abuse.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Spoiler tagging since it's S6 related

Spoiler

I wish they could have gotten the actress back and had Miss Claudette show up now that the show moved to max. Would have been a nice treat for those who have watched since S1

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Red let the Russian Mafia store bodies in her freezers.

I still don't understand what Red's charges were.  Wouldn't her family or at least her husband have known about the bodies also?

• Love 1
On 7/29/2018 at 1:08 AM, Blue Plastic said:

Freida has apparently murdered people but I'm not sure we ever got a detailed account of her actual crimes.

I found this in the favorite quotes thread: 

Red: "But with Freida's record, they will definitely question her."
Alex: "What's your record?"

Freida: "4 murders in a year. It was a crazy year."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 7/29/2018 at 11:39 AM, BosomBuddy said:

I think they left it kind of ambiguous which of these things it was.  They showed her committing mail fraud, but at trial they showed Christopher testifying against her stalking behaviors.  So possibly she never got caught on the mail fraud and is just in for stalking.

• Useful 1
On 7/30/2018 at 12:48 AM, possibilities said:

I think Gloria is in for food stamp fraud. She was letting people trade their food stamps for cash.  Or was she the one who accidentally started a fire with her candles and might be in for arson?

Maybe both? She was committing food stamp fraud and the candle fire started in her shop. Her boyfriend(?) was trapped in the fire.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Triple P said:

Maybe both? She was committing food stamp fraud and the candle fire started in her shop. Her boyfriend(?) was trapped in the fire.

I think the candle fire is supposed to have happened AFTER Gloria got busted for food stamp fraud. IIRC the BF busts in to steal from the shop AFTER Gloria's arrest. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure Miss Claudette got away with the murder.  I am almost certain that she went down for something like human trafficking and using those young girls for cleaning.  I thought I remembered them saying that the laws for trafficking had changed and she was encouraged to appeal.  When the appeal was denied, she lost all hope and that is what lead to her acting out and going to max. 

Spoiler

And I agree that it would have been nice to see her there during season 6.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, Kroliosis said:

Maria’s crime finally in S7E6 selling fake designer jeans.  People actually get time for that?!

I couldn’t remember what anyone’s original crimes were. 

I didn't really understand that.  How come no one else working in the store was arrested?  Why were they so sure it was just Maria who brought in and sold the counterfeit jeans?  It looked like it was just supposed to be a regular retail store kind of like a JC Penney's or something, so not sure how a manager could be selling counterfeit items to line their own pockets, and she definitely didn't seem to be the store owner.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Blue Plastic said:

I didn't really understand that.  How come no one else working in the store was arrested?  Why were they so sure it was just Maria who brought in and sold the counterfeit jeans?  It looked like it was just supposed to be a regular retail store kind of like a JC Penney's or something, so not sure how a manager could be selling counterfeit items to line their own pockets, and she definitely didn't seem to be the store owner.

Thank you! I had so many logic problems with this. It seemed like she was working as the manger of some sort of mid-level boutique in a mall. I mean I laughed at Maria feeling “rich” in Guess, but I think it was there to signal that this isn’t exactly an exclusive shop. And Maria was the manager right? Not the owner? So how would this scam even work. The simplistic way is to put the jeans out and when someone buys them ring it up as No Sale and pocket the money. That’s all fine and good, but she’s have to pretty much be there all the time. What was she doing when she wasn’t at work. Just letting the other sales girls ring up the sale as normal and lose the money to the register? What was she doing about corporate inventory? Hiding the real jeans in her apartment and doing...something with them? And why? Of all questions why? Why not just sell them at flea markets or on the internet? Why even complicate things by involving the store and computerized cash registers and corporate inventory reports and security cameras and everything else? I get Maria was supposed to be really low in emotional intelligence (as evidenced by her instance her crimes didn’t hurt anyone), but is she also supposed to be lacking in logistical intelligence?

As for her sentence. It seemed (although I don’t remember what it actually was) long to me too. I can only think something happened to influence her getting the max. Maybe she had priors or didn’t know enough to roll on anyone. Something like that.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, FozzyBear said:

Thank you! I had so many logic problems with this. It seemed like she was working as the manger of some sort of mid-level boutique in a mall. I mean I laughed at Maria feeling “rich” in Guess, but I think it was there to signal that this isn’t exactly an exclusive shop. And Maria was the manager right? Not the owner? So how would this scam even work. The simplistic way is to put the jeans out and when someone buys them ring it up as No Sale and pocket the money. That’s all fine and good, but she’s have to pretty much be there all the time. What was she doing when she wasn’t at work. Just letting the other sales girls ring up the sale as normal and lose the money to the register? What was she doing about corporate inventory? Hiding the real jeans in her apartment and doing...something with them? And why? Of all questions why? Why not just sell them at flea markets or on the internet? Why even complicate things by involving the store and computerized cash registers and corporate inventory reports and security cameras and everything else? I get Maria was supposed to be really low in emotional intelligence (as evidenced by her instance her crimes didn’t hurt anyone), but is she also supposed to be lacking in logistical intelligence?

As for her sentence. It seemed (although I don’t remember what it actually was) long to me too. I can only think something happened to influence her getting the max. Maybe she had priors or didn’t know enough to roll on anyone. Something like that.

Yes, all of this!  Was she putting the counterfeit stuff in the back room when she wasn't there so they wouldn't be sold when she wasn't in the store?  What would keep one of the other employees on a different shift from thinking it was just normal merchandise and putting it out on the floor?

And who was that guy that she was fooling around with in the back room?  He seemed to be encouraging Maria to sell the counterfeits but was just always hanging out in back like he didn't actually work there, then he scooted out of the store fast when she got arrested.

It did seem like a long sentence, as if she had been there long before Piper arrived and would be there long after Piper was released.  Some of that was time added on for the riot I guess, but still it seemed like she shouldn't have gotten a longer sentence than someone who was running drug money, not counting the riot add-on time.

49 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

Yes, all of this!  Was she putting the counterfeit stuff in the back room when she wasn't there so they wouldn't be sold when she wasn't in the store?  What would keep one of the other employees on a different shift from thinking it was just normal merchandise and putting it out on the floor?

And who was that guy that she was fooling around with in the back room?  He seemed to be encouraging Maria to sell the counterfeits but was just always hanging out in back like he didn't actually work there, then he scooted out of the store fast when she got arrested.

It did seem like a long sentence, as if she had been there long before Piper arrived and would be there long after Piper was released.  Some of that was time added on for the riot I guess, but still it seemed like she shouldn't have gotten a longer sentence than someone who was running drug money, not counting the riot add-on time.

After I posted, I remembered about credit card payments! Because really, how many people are paying for $150 jeans in cash? You have to assume at least half of the people (probably more, but I'll be generous) would pay with a debit or credit card. How exactly was Maria re-routing those to her account in a way that wouldn't look super sketchy. This whole scam seemed like something from the early 1980s when a lack of debit cards and computerized register and inventory systems would make all of this sort of logical. Sort of. If you squinted. But the show starts around 2013. Even if you fan wink that she got a very long sentence and was somewhere in the middle of a 10 year sentence she still would have gone to jail sometime after 2005-ish. That just makes no sense at all. 

12 hours ago, Blue Plastic said:

Maria had extra time added on in season 2 or 3 when the sewing factory was set up. She went all ‘gang banger Barbie’ Maria and ended up in opposition to Piper’s dealings. But when things blew up, Maria got more added to her sentence than Piper did. 

I think that the jeans scam worked because Maria was sourcing the cheap jeans from her buddy and having the store pay the price they’d buy in designer jeans for. But since the guy was paying next to nothing for the jeans, he’d be making a good profit and presumably splitting the proceeds with her.  

So as long as she was there to sign for the inventory coming in, it didn’t matter if she was there when they sold. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Maria had extra time added on in season 2 or 3 when the sewing factory was set up. She went all ‘gang banger Barbie’ Maria and ended up in opposition to Piper’s dealings. But when things blew up, Maria got more added to her sentence than Piper did. 

I think that the jeans scam worked because Maria was sourcing the cheap jeans from her buddy and having the store pay the price they’d buy in designer jeans for. But since the guy was paying next to nothing for the jeans, he’d be making a good profit and presumably splitting the proceeds with her.  

So as long as she was there to sign for the inventory coming in, it didn’t matter if she was there when they sold. 

Okay, that at least makes more sense than what I was thinking.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Thank you. OITNB is often vague about the past crimes of the women, but this was the first time they tried to present the actual crime and I got so totally lost in the detail. I think my confusion was not realizing she was in a position to be buying stuff for the store. 

One interesting read of Maria’s story is that it mirrors Piper’s. The both committed  a crime to please their lover. They both committed a crime out of boredom with their lives. They both took a very long time to see themselves as a criminals instead of a victim. They both though of their crimes a victimless because they don’t really think about the people who are victims of black markets. They’re both smart and quick, but very low in self awareness and emotional intelligence. They both have this way of being very performative about emotional growth in a way that comes across as disingenuous. They both seem unaware of that. If this wasn’t the last season, I could be totally down for some Piper = Maria stuff. 

• Love 5

That's pretty good, but a few are wrong. I think we always thought Blanca was in for elder abuse, but it was implied she covered up the old lady's hit and run.

Also, the nurse Penn shot didn't die - her charge was attempted murder, as shown on her wanted poster when she escaped.

• Love 2