Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Tree and Stone Were One

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ugh RA, I don’t blame Darla, RA needs a tattoo on his forehead that says Loser.

And Nova needs a tattoo on her forehead that says Stupid.

”You will always be fleeting,” you tell him Charley.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 14

I feel like Ralph Angel tells his sisters half the story and they jump to conclusions to rescue him cause he isn't totally forthcoming. It is frustrating.

Well, Charley ended up eating some of her words to Mama Boudreaux about siblings and trust. I don't think Jacob is playing her. He is shady but I definitely think it is is all related to his mother's takeover attempt. I think she will take Mama B up on her plan to kick Sam out. Whether anything more happens between Charley & Jacob remains to be seen but I still don't think she is as immune to him as she wants to be.

Nova... ugh. That revelation to Charley was so full of martyrdom and half-truths. It was more than a kiss and then putting it on Charley to end it if she wanted to. I wanted more fireworks in the confrontation, though I appreciated Charley bringing up Nova constantly judging her - Charley should've brought up that 10k - but everything else about how and what Nova said just annoyed me. It seems like Charley has already somewhat forgiven her amd that bugs me.

And then Remy showing up at the house at night trying to justify things with Nova like Charley stays up at night thinking about him and their past relationship. Charley is right, she didn't really know him. I wish she'd brought more of that heat when talking to Nova. 

• Love 16
(edited)

I’m glad to be wrong about Jarrett. A lot of times disclosing an illness means discrimination and loss of opportunities. I’m glad Jarrett seems like a decent guy, and like Hollywood, wants Vi to take care of herself.

I laughed when RA told Darla he doesn’t know her anymore. I thought, “You don’t know her at all.”  Last season told us that.

I rolled my eyes so hard at RA whining to Charley and Nova. Darla’s reasons for wanting a 70/30 custody with Blue makes sense and this is mostly RA’s fault. Allowing that parole guy to stay with him was probably the moment that sparked the Mama bear in her. On top of that, he wouldn’t allow Blue to be with Darla on her day because it was Vi’s birthday. It also made me mad, too. Everyone has to stop and tend to RA but when Charley needed to talk to someone after Davis dropped the other child news on her, no one could come to her.

Not only vandalism but arson, too. So that’s school expulsion, juvie hall and depending on the sentence, adult jail. I knew the Woke kids would screw up somehow. Ant’s an idiot. Why the hell did Ant put his bag near lit candles when everyone else had their bags on them since they were gonna leave after prayer? From the tease for next week, it looks like Ant gets arrested. For his own stupidity he should go down by himself but I won’t be surprised if he cuts a deal and brings Micah down with him.  

I may be crazy but I like Mama Boudreaux. I see why she sees an ally in Charley. I did laugh at Charley  going on about how family treat each other. Has she forgotten how her own family treated her? Nova stealing 10k, RA claiming the family land as his with a piece of paper that wouldn’t hold up in court; the constant ganging up on Charley by her family when they didn’t agree with what she does.

Speaking of the 10K Nova stole, I immediately thought of that money when Too Sweet’s mom (I think) gave an update on him and mentioned the tuition Nova paid for him.

Remy and Nova. Smh.

Trinh, consider yourself lucky. You dodged a bullet.

2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Can Micah share the stupid tattoo with his aunt? 

1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

Nova... ugh. That revelation to Charley was so full of martyrdom and half-truths. It was more than a kiss and then putting it on Charley to end it if she wanted to. I wanted more fireworks in the confrontation, though I appreciated Charley bringing up Nova constantly judging her - Charley should've brought up that 10k - but everything else about how and what Nova said just annoyed me. It seems like Charley has already somewhat forgiven her amd that bugs me.

And then Remy showing up at the house at night trying to justify things with Nova like Charley stays up at night thinking about him and their past relationship. Charley is right, she didn't really know him. I wish she'd brought more of that heat when talking to Nova. 

It bothered me Nova didn't have the guts to talk to Charley's face. It's really sad Charley has more loyalty to her family than her family does to her. 

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 13
(edited)
9 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I said the same exact thing. If only she saw what she was truly missing out on, she would be thanking whoever she prays to that she dodged that bullet.

10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I feel like Ralph Angel tells his sisters half the story and they jump to conclusions to rescue him cause he isn't totally forthcoming. It is frustrating.

Yes! After the fuckery on Vi's birthday, he's lucky she just didn't go for full custody. You don't get to not only mess around with her visitation day, but also ignore her as you and your son drive around a town with a woman she hasn't met yet. Fuck you, RA. You're damn right you don't know her.

I wish Nova would ask herself why Remy set his sights on her so quickly after Charley. I wish Charley would've questioned Remy about his Bordelon obsession. God, Charley needs a damn girlfriend. I wanted to read Remy for filth watching him try to justify his crap with Nova. I'm glad Charley at least pointed out to him that in the long run he is just a small meaningless blip in her life.

I'm nervous that Charley's storyline is heading her towards a nervous breakdown. How much can one woman take? And Micah's stupid ass just went ahead and made it worse. SMH

Side note: I'm a huge Sam Cooke fan, and I could have sworn that was him singing in the background during the RA/Darla scenes at the High Yellow, but I had never heard that song before. I was going nuts trying to hunt down the song, and it turns out it wasn't him, but a group called The Ovations. Never knew someone could be such a vocal dead ringer for someone else, but it had me fooled for sure.

For comparison's sake:

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 7

I love how the show went from Nova's agent saying she'd never known someone who wasn't freed by telling the truth to Violet sealing the deal on her pie shop after being honest about her lupus. I really thought that deal would blow up so good on Queen Sugar for surprising me.

I also liked seeing the reactions inside Charley's house when Remy knocked on the door. Micah looked like he needed a change of drawers. 

The direction on this episode drove me crazy. We need to talk about that really awful green screen behind Nova and Charley during the "revelation" scene.

• Love 5
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Wow, what a powerful episode in every way . Nova's confession, (if you can call it that ) Charley reaction and confronts REMY slithering in like a snake thinking he's still Charley's heartthrob. Charley's STRONG AND REGAL ATTITUDE WITH Jacob's mother. I found myself being drawn in by her anyway , it was a mutual respect between two very strong and powerful women. I feel that Jacob has genuine feelings for Charley.  Vi and Hollywood's loving conversation, and Vi's heartwarming interaction with her business partner. Honestly I thought that business relationship would turn left . He really seems to be a decent guy. RA of course always disappoints me with his attitude. I get that he missed a lot of time with Blue, but so did Darla , she was away from Blue for years due to her drug habit. Now the family is lining up behind RA to take Darla down. I agree with Darla that something official needs to be in place for Blue, Ra can go flaky on Darla at any time with the schedule, he's inconsiderate when it come to her. RA is still harboring resentment towards Darla. They both want the same thing for the same reasons. I would hate to see them try and drag Darla down. RA is no better than her. They both made mistakes , that's life. I pray that that fire was a wake up call for Micah, actually for all of them. Next week looks explosive, there is a lot unfolding .

Edited by byrd
additional thoughts
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I’m glad to be wrong about Jarrett. A lot of times disclosing an illness means discrimination and loss of opportunities. I’m glad Jarrett seems like a decent guy, and like Hollywood, wants Vi to take care of herself.

I laughed when RA told Darla he doesn’t know her anymore. I thought, “You don’t know her at all.”  Last season told us that.

I rolled my eyes so hard at RA whining to Charley and Nova. Darla’s reasons for wanting a 70/30 custody with Blue makes sense and this is mostly RA’s fault. Allowing that parole guy to stay with him was probably the moment that sparked the Mama bear in her. On top of that, he wouldn’t allow Blue to be with Darla on her day because it was Vi’s birthday. It also made me mad, too. Everyone has to stop and tend to RA but when Charley needed to talk to someone after Davis dropped the other child news on her, no one could come to her.

Not only vandalism but arson, too. So that’s school expulsion, juvie hall and depending on the sentence, adult jail. I knew the Woke kids would screw up somehow. Ant’s an idiot. Why the hell did Ant put his bag near lit candles when everyone else had their bags on them since they were gonna leave after prayer? From the tease for next week, it looks like Ant gets arrested. For his own stupidity he should go down by himself but I won’t be surprised if he cuts a deal and brings Micah down with him.  

I may be crazy but I like Mama Boudreaux. I see why she sees an ally in Charley. I did laugh at Charley  going on about how family treat each other. Has she forgotten how her own family treated her? Nova stealing 10k, RA claiming the family land as his with a piece of paper that wouldn’t hold up in court; the constant ganging up on Charley by her family when they didn’t agree with what she does.

Speaking of the 10K Nova stole, I immediately thought of that money when Too Sweet’s mom (I think) gave an update on him and mentioned the tuition Nova paid for him.

Remy and Nova. Smh.

Can Micah share the stupid tattoo with his aunt? 

It bothered me Nova didn't have the guts to talk to Charley's face. It's really sad Charley has more loyalty to her family than her family does to her. 

Nova's loyalty is always to herself first , she hypocritical with her family sometimes, or at least she is when it comes to Charley.   

• Love 5
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, byrd said:

Wow, what a powerful episode in every way . Nova's confession, (if you can call it that ) Charley reaction and confronts REMY slithering in like a snake thinking he's still Charley's heartthrob. Charley's STRONG AND REGAL ATTITUDE WITH Jacob's mother. I found myself being drawn in by her anyway , it was a mutual respect between two very strong and powerful women. I feel that Jacob has genuine feelings for Charley.  Vi and Hollywood's loving conversation, and Vi's heartwarming interaction with her business partner. Honestly I thought that business relationship would turn left . He really seems to be a decent guy. RA of course always disappoints me with his attitude. I get that he missed a lot of time with Blue, but so did Darla , she was away from Blue for years due to her drug habit. Now the family is lining up behind RA to take Darla down. I agree with Darla that something official needs to be in place for Blue, Ra can go flaky on Darla at any time with the schedule, he's inconsiderate when it come to her. RA is still harboring resentment towards Darla. They both want the same thing for the same reasons. I would hate to see them try and drag Darla down. RA is no better than her. They both made mistakes , that's life. I pray that that fire was a wake up call for Micah, actually for all of them. Next week looks explosive, there is a lot unfolding . I am worried about MR. PROSPER in the next episode, please keep him in the series, they need the stability and Wisdom he provides.

I also just remembered that Darla does not know about the DNA test. Did I understand correctly that RA's name is not on the birth certificate ? If so this may not go in his favor when all of this comes out in court.  exploiting her past drug addiction is the only card they have to play . Darla has a few cards to play as well.    

Edited by byrd
  • Love 1

Ugh, his tone bothered me most of all. Not even an ounce of contrition. "Our relationship wasn't working for a while." So, that's why you set your sights on her sister? I get that relationships can be messy, and they don't always start out on a linear path, but still. I was proud of Charley for calling Remy out for his self-righteousness. She's such a good woman. Davis nor Remy deserved her. 

I still don't care about Micah and the woke crew. They better hope that place doesn't have security cameras. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, byrd said:

I also just remembered that Darla does not know about the DNA test. Did I understand correctly that RA's name is not on the birth certificate ? If so this may not go in his favor when all of this comes out in court.  exploiting her past drug addiction is the only card they have to play . Darla has a few cards to play as well.    

He is on the birth certificate - Charley said so this ep.

2 hours ago, byrd said:

Nova's loyalty is always to herself first , she hypocritical with her family sometimes, or at least she is when it comes to Charley.   

She judges the shit out of Charley and I was glad Charley called her on it. She judges Charley for using money to get out of problems even while stealing ten grand from her to solve a problem.

I actually thought the woke crew had time to run up and grab the backpack before things got too bad. There was a beat where whichever one whose bag it was was like "Oh no!" and kind of stood there and in that second I thought he could have grabbed the bag by the opposite end and stamped out the fire, even before he started to run to it and they stopped him (which they were right to do in THAT moment because the fire had already spread). But they're pretty fucked now.

I don't understand why I can't buy a Vi's Prized Pies cookbook. I heard a podcast once that talked about how there's a Bob's Burgers cookbook so there should definitely be one for Vi's Pies! I was so glad her revealing her diagnosis didn't mean the end of her dreams, and I loved that she was encouraging Hollywood to figure out what his were and go for them. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Yes! After the fuckery on Vi's birthday, he's lucky she just didn't go for full custody. You don't get to not only mess around with her visitation day, but also ignore her as you and your son drive around a town with a woman she hasn't met yet. Fuck you, RA. You're damn right you don't know her.

Plus Darla has been trying for a while to get something concrete down regarding a formal schedule for Blue but RA would get all up in his feelings and start lashing out at her. I feel like her last few conversations with RA have ended with Darla saying she was tired of having the same conversation with him cause he would start running her down instead of trying to work with her on co-parenting. He doesn't respect her on top of still being mad at her about Blue's paternity secret. That seems to bubble up in him every time he sits down to talk to her about Blue and he can't help himself. I get his hurt over that but he just seems to not have the maturity to compartmentalize. I also get that he still is sad about missing 4 years of Blue's life cause of he was put in prison. I just wish Nova and Charley, well maybe just Charley since she's less self-righteous, would actually try talking to Darla directly about the situation instead of just going off what Ralph Angel's says. They know him... his petulance and immaturity was talked about a lot in S1 with Aunt Vi always caping about how he needed a chance to be a man & prove himself, IIRC, his general lack of maturity is why the sisters were reluctant to give him any responsibilities then.  

1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

I still don't care about Micah and the woke crew. They better hope that place doesn't have security cameras. 

It is SO BORING.

11 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I wonder if the writers are intentionally showing that about Charley or if it's something they don't actually see when scripts are being put together. 

2 hours ago, byrd said:

Charley's STRONG AND REGAL ATTITUDE WITH Jacob's mother. I found myself being drawn in by her anyway , it was a mutual respect between two very strong and powerful women. I feel that Jacob has genuine feelings for Charley.

I also liked the scene. Mama Boudreaux was right too that they need each other to work for the same goal of stopping Sam Landry from building that prison. RE: Jacob, IA that his feelings are genuine. Charley is a tougher read though but she seemed kinda stunned by his declaration that his feelings for her are legit. I fall in the category that Charley likes him more than she wants to... even with her throwing snark his way in this ep. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm supremely tired of the Saint Charley show. She is every bit as flawed as her trifling siblings and is in dire need of a reality check.

Charley has a LOT of nerve to bitch about Nova judging her when she is every bit as guilty of judging Nova. She is just as self righteous and stubborn as Nova, she just lacks the social clout to push her single-minded agenda like she did in LA.

She also has no right to be acting so shocked about Remy. Yes, everything related to Remy & Nova's burgeoning relationship is trash, but Charley has exhibited ZERO accountability for jumping into an ill-advised relationship with a man she barely knew while she was still married/n the midst of a contentious separation & divorce.

Even now she's so busy being an insufferable control freak by sleeping with the enemy and engaging in unnecessary corporate boardroom games, that she doesn't see her family is falling apart around her.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Dee said:

I'm supremely tired of the Saint Charley show. She is every bit as flawed as her trifling siblings and is in dire need of a reality check.

Charley has a LOT of nerve to bitch about Nova judging her when she is every bit as guilty of judging Nova. She is just as self righteous and stubborn as Nova, she just lacks the social clout to push her single-minded agenda like she did in LA.

She also has no right to be acting so shocked about Remy. Yes, everything related to Remy & Nova's burgeoning relationship is trash, but Charley has exhibited ZERO accountability for jumping into an ill-advised relationship with a man she barely knew while she was still married/n the midst of a contentious separation & divorce.

Even now she's so busy being an insufferable control freak by sleeping with the enemy and engaging in unnecessary corporate boardroom games, that she doesn't see her family is falling apart around her.

I don't see what one has to do with the other re: Remy and Nova and Remy and Charley. It seems like the argument is that she shouldn't have dated him in the first place, which ... I mean, she already did though. The horse is out of the barn. I don't see why she has to take accountability for that relationship - her marriage ended (badly) and she started dating someone else. She didn't do anything wrong. It didn't work out, but most relationships don't work out.

And I think the meeting with the lawyer at the start of the episode indicated that the boardroom games are indeed necessary if they want to keep the land because the law isn't on their side. She's the only one in the family who is doing anything concrete about keeping the land in the family. RA is farming it but that's not the same thing.

On top of that, she's well aware of RA's custody issues. She sat with him and Nova and talked about them and she's paying for his lawyer. (I knew she would.) She's not aware of what Micah is up to with the woke crew, but nobody in the family is. I doubt the rest of the crew's families know what they're up to either - that's the point. She's met the group but no parent knows what her kids are up to all the time, especially once they start driving. (I had a coworker who joked that her kid had bought a car with her babysitting and part-time job money so she could be going anywhere between the hours of 3 and 6, except the car was crappy so odds were good she wouldn't get far.)

• Love 9
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I don't see what one has to do with the other re: Remy and Nova and Remy and Charley. It seems like the argument is that she shouldn't have dated him in the first place, which ... I mean, she already did though. The horse is out of the barn. I don't see why she has to take accountability for that relationship - her marriage ended (badly) and she started dating someone else. She didn't do anything wrong. It didn't work out, but most relationships don't work out.

If Nova is expected to grovel for getting involved with Remy, then Charley needs to be accountable for when her relationship with Remy began and why much of it continued.

Charley was still married & hoping to reconcile with Davis when she got heavily involved with Remy, Davis being a massive tool doesn't change that.Nor does the fact that she barely knew Remy during their relationship, which is what largely broke them up.

So Charley has very little right to act like a martyr because an impulsive relationship with a sketchy rebound dude didn't work out. Does she have a right to be shocked? Sure. But much else would be out of proportion.

And I think the meeting with the lawyer at the start of the episode indicated that the boardroom games are indeed necessary if they want to keep the land because the law isn't on their side. She's the only one in the family who is doing anything concrete about keeping the land in the family. RA is farming it but that's not the same thing.

She was engaging in boardroom games long before meeting with the lawyer. The idea that she's the only one who is doing anything concrete is about keeping the land is largely because she's the only one (until Hollywood's recent windfall) with the resources to pursue the situation.

And it remains telling that she didn't even consult any of them EXCEPT Ralph Angel, about her plans despite the fact that they all supported her, except Ralph Angel, during the founding/building of Queen Sugar. If Charley doesn't want reasoned input on her actions, then she has no right to feel judged when her closest family members criticize her for leaving them out of the loop.

Especially when she herself was highly upset with Darla for defending Ralph Angel about the discovery of Ernest's second will.

On top of that, she's well aware of RA's custody issues. She sat with him and Nova and talked about them and she's paying for his lawyer. (I knew she would.) She's not aware of what Micah is up to with the woke crew, but nobody in the family is. I doubt the rest of the crew's families know what they're up to either - that's the point. She's met the group but no parent knows what her kids are up to all the time, especially once they start driving. (I had a coworker who joked that her kid had bought a car with her babysitting and part-time job money so she could be going anywhere between the hours of 3 and 6, except the car was crappy so odds were good she wouldn't get far.)

So Charley is not responsible for being unaware of what's going on, largely under her nose, yet the rest of the family is guilty for not offering their immediate approval/assistance about a reckless plan they had no idea about had Nova not dragged it out of Ralph Angel?

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Dee said:

So Charley is not responsible for being unaware of what's going on, largely under her nose, yet the rest of the family is guilty for not offering their immediate approval/assistance about a reckless plan they had no idea about had Nova not dragged it out of Ralph Angel

These are two different things that are being equated. Charley being unaware of what her son is sneaking around and doing isn't the same thing as the family being mad about her plan about the Landrys. I will say now what I said then, I got that their anger, even some judgment towards her but no one felt like offering anything other than stank-eye and reproof. They were just mad. Fine, some people aren't quick on their feet when initially confronted with something they don't like. The family has now known for a while about Charley's plan and the most I have seen anyone do is Nova talking about her EPA contacts to Charley. Otherwise no one in the family is still doing anything despite not liking Charley's 'reckless plan.'  What's the excuse now for them sitting on their hands if they hated Charley's plan so much? RA is too busy trying to carry on with Trinh and in his feelings about Blue/Darla. Nova's been sneaking around with Remy & writing her book. Vi's been cooking her pies and starting her business while planning things with Hollywood. They seem to have time for everything except actively trying to do something about the Landrys so even now weeks, possibly months later, they still haven't done shit to produce any kind of alternative to Charley's plan despite being apoplectic about how much they didn't like it. 

39 minutes ago, Dee said:

If Nova is expected to grovel for getting involved with Remy, then Charley needs to be accountable for when her relationship with Remy began and why much of it continued.

These are two separate things as well, IMO. Charley isn't mad about why her relationship with Remy ended. She knows why. She hasn't been thinking about him for awhile (I think since the end of ep 3x01). She's not angry that she isn't with Remy nor about why it didn't work out. She knows why. Charley is angry & hurt that her sister lied to her about dating/having feelings her ex-bf. And imagine if Nova has told Charley all of it instead of just reducing it to one kiss in her revelation. I don't think anyone expected Nova to grovel. That seems like a straw man. I haven't seen anyone state that being what was desired from Nova. I know I wanted Nova to be honest with Charley, which she kinda was, and it was what she should've done from the beginning when she first realized there was something burgeoning with Remy. In the end Charley was still mad at Remy more than Nova and it was about them not being honest with her that was the issue. IMO, Charley's not wrong to be shocked that her sister wasn't honest with her about dating her ex. It would be no different than if Charley started sneaking around with Calvin. Nova would have every right to be angry if Charley was dating Calvin on the sly & kept it from Nova instead of being honest. It isn't wrong for Charley to be hurt by their lie.

None of these characters are perfect. I don't think anyone has claimed that about Charley nor anyone else on this show. These are all very flawed characters. I just don't think when Nova has done wrong, that it should automatically deflected to point out Charley's choices, bad or otherwise. If it's about one owning his or her own choices, then making it be about what someone else did doesn't reflect that AFAIC. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Dee said:

Saint Charley show?  I could have sworn I was watching the Saint Ralph Angel show.  I mean everybody treats him like the second coming.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

These are two different things that are being equated.

They really aren't.

Just like Charley is unaware of what Micah and his friends are doing, the rest of the Bordelons were unaware of Charley and Ralph Angel's scheming.

Why should they be expected to formulate and/or assist a plan if Charley and/or Rah is/are operating without their knowledge and/or input. If she felt she couldn't trust them, for whatever reason, she has no right to expect their approval or help. If she could sell a skeptical Rah on her plan, why not her favorite Aunt and activist big sister?

Trying to cloak her need to assert control & subsequently shame her family by invoking Ernest's memory is/was really gross. Especially now that Nova is pursuing her book, which was almost wholly based from/on their father's legacy.

And the less said about how venomous she became when everyone didn't immediately fall into step with her decisions, the better. If Violet remained angry with Charley over Charley's treatment of Hollywood, nobody could blame her.

What's the excuse now for them sitting on their hands if they hated Charley's plan so much?

What has Charley done besides cuddle up to the enemy and flare her nostrils self righteously?

She now knows that they'll more than likely lose the land regardless of what she does, so all of her supposed plans are essentially for naught.

The closest option she has to achieving a modicum of 'justice' is to become further entrenched in an ongoing family feud occurring between a family that used to enslave her own.

That's not winning. It's being a pawn.

I don't think anyone expected Nova to grovel. That seems like a straw man. I haven't seen anyone state that being what was desired from Nova. 

It's far from a straw man.

Nova is expected to throw herself at Charley's feet over a hasty rebound relationship that proved to be toxic for both individuals involved. The idea that Nova is being disloyal to Charley despite the fact that she, nor Remy, owes anything to Charley makes no sense. Especially when Charley has yet to accept any responsibility for the failure of her and Remy's relationship.

I just don't think when Nova has done wrong, that it should automatically deflected to point out Charley's choices, bad or otherwise.

Except that is exactly what happens when Charley does wrong, which is more often than not.

It's ALWAYS someone else's fault, even if it doesn't line up with what has been factually presented on the show.

We're never going to agree, so we should just agree to disagree and leave it there.

• Love 1

I don't trust Mother Boudreaux seeking to align with Charley--and other mystery figures--against her family.   She's likely to be a **Forever Boudreaux * Right Or Wrong** woman and just as underhanded as the rest of them.

All I know for sure is that the writers had her tossing off "Sorry 'bout that" to her guest, when "Please accept my apologies for the interruption" would come more naturally from her generation of upper-crusty white southern women.

That is all.  Overthinking It Central signing off.

• Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, byrd said:

I pray that that fire was a wake up call for Micah, actually for all of them. Next week looks explosive, there is a lot unfolding .

For Ant at least, the idea itself should've been a wake up call to not do it. His brother is in jail and worst case scenario for their plan would land them in jail. But being teens, they thought they could get away with it. 

17 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Ugh, his tone bothered me most of all. Not even an ounce of contrition. "Our relationship wasn't working for a while." So, that's why you set your sights on her sister? I get that relationships can be messy, and they don't always start out on a linear path, but still. I was proud of Charley for calling Remy out for his self-righteousness. She's such a good woman. Davis nor Remy deserved her. 

It says a lot about Remy he set his sights on Charley, courts her in his own way, breaks up with her and pursues her sister all in a year. I think the showrunners screwed up here with the timeline. 

15 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Also, the Queen Sugar official twitter account is ... interesting. 

It's as interesting as Love Is twitter account.

14 hours ago, Dee said:

Both Remy and Charley were wrong pursuing a relationship. I put more blame on Remy than Charley because Remy pursued Charley. He knew her situation and went after her anyway. He also made it known he wanted a serious relationship which included another marriage and kids for Charley and all of this happened in a year. I really have a problem with TPTB deciding the past three seasons of Queen Sugar all happened in a year. Too much happened for it to only be year I think. 

13 hours ago, Dee said:

She was engaging in boardroom games long before meeting with the lawyer. The idea that she's the only one who is doing anything concrete is about keeping the land is largely because she's the only one (until Hollywood's recent windfall) with the resources to pursue the situation.

And it remains telling that she didn't even consult any of them EXCEPT Ralph Angel, about her plans despite the fact that they all supported her, except Ralph Angel, during the founding/building of Queen Sugar. If Charley doesn't want reasoned input on her actions, then she has no right to feel judged when her closest family members criticize her for leaving them out of the loop.

Especially when she herself was highly upset with Darla for defending Ralph Angel about the discovery of Ernest's second will.

So Charley is not responsible for being unaware of what's going on, largely under her nose, yet the rest of the family is guilty for not offering their immediate approval/assistance about a reckless plan they had no idea about had Nova not dragged it out of Ralph Angel?

Charley has the financial resources but she's also the only one who has the brains to challenge Landry. The main issue I had with Charley being confronted by her family over her dealings with the Landry was how they reacted to it. They are right to be upset and question what she's thinking. I don't expect them to have a plan to deal with Landry because they don't have the skills to deal with him and that's fine but them looking at Charley like she's a traitor and intentionally sold her people out was a problem. They didn't listen to her or take into account the black farmers who bailed on her and put a company she got running in less than a year to help them in trouble and forced her to make a deal with Landry.  The family had a right to be upset but they handled it wrong.

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 3

I think Nova is attracted to unavailable men.  The show started with her and a married, white policeman.  Then when he split up with his wife, she was like, "nope."  I was like WTF?  Now she's messing with her sister's ex.

One of the problems with the folks on this show is that nobody tells anybody anything, ever.  It was nice to see Nova actually tell Charley about she and Remy.  I like Darla but damn, she just threw that at RA about 70/30.  Maybe they should have talked about it first.  I think they should start out 50/50 and then revisit it.  Hollywood put the down payment on that reception hall, without talking about it with Vi. 

Sometimes I watch this show and think, "damn don't these people ever TALK to each other before the shit hits the fan?"

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Neurochick said:

.  I like Darla but damn, she just threw that at RA about 70/30.  Maybe they should have talked about it first.  I think they should start out 50/50 and then revisit it. 

Didn't he try to pull 70/30 or 60/40 on her last week when she asked for 50/50? 3x08 was kinda dull and my attention kept wandering so I don't remember specifically but I feel like that is what started this ball rolling.

IMO, Darla has tried to talk to Ralph Angel for a while. When she was away and would call, he wouldn't speak to her; he would just give the phone to Blue. When she came back, she kept initiating conversations with him about setting up a co-parenting relationship that would provide stability for Blue & set up a routine for all of them and RA would end up derailing the conversation cause he'd get up his feelings and start whispering something hoarsely before either storming off or shutting down (plus that time Darla told him he could let himself out when he tried to drag her for getting help from her parents). I feel like RA changing things at the last minute re: Blue for Vi's party was the last straw so I see Darla pulling the mediation for 70/30 now as her way of trying to get him to take her seriously since when she has tried to approach him, he doesn't listen to her.

I've seen some on twitter say that this situation is Darla being petty cause RA was seeing Trinh and that set Darla off but I think the show has actually laid out clearly that isn't the issue. I do think Darla still has love/feelings for RA - girl, why? - but that's not what is driving her in this custody battle.  I see the issue being a lack of communication between Darla and Ralph Angel but I don't blame that on Darla at this point cause I think she has been trying to talk to Ralph Angel reasonably for a while now and he just doesn't want to hear her.

14 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

It's as interesting as Love Is twitter account.

Uh oh. I will have to check that out.

• Love 7
On 7/26/2018 at 5:44 PM, Neurochick said:

Sometimes I watch this show and think, "damn don't these people ever TALK to each other before the shit hits the fan?"

So much this^!  It is lazy writing to have adults, especially adults who live together or see each other all the time, not speak about important issues.  (A related trope is all of the grown adults on TV who get married without discussing things like whether they want children.  SMH).

• Love 2

RA doesn't stand a chance against Darla, her wealthy parents, and their attorneys. He might be on the hook for child support though since his name is on the birth certificate.

Nova and Remy, no. Just no. That said, I don't know if Charley has the right to forbid Nova to see him. Sad for her that this probably feels like yet another betrayal by someone she thought loved her and she could trust not to hurt her but Nova and Remy are adults. They're entitled to make their own choices, including the choices to disregard Charley's feelings and possibly sow Bordelon family discord in pursuit of their twu luv.

Gotta say it again, I sure hope we're not about to find out Charley is somehow related by blood to the Landrys.

On 7/28/2018 at 1:22 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

RA doesn't stand a chance against Darla, her wealthy parents, and their attorneys. He might be on the hook for child support though since his name is on the birth certificate

Are Darla's parents wealthy?  I never thought they were like Bill Gates wealthy.

Are Darla's parents wealthy?  I never thought they were like Bill Gates wealthy.

Lol, are we as a society at the point where only billionaires are considered wealthy? No, I don't think they're billionaires but based on their dress and behavior they seemed well-off to me. I have no doubt they will provide top-notch legal representation for Darla in the custody battle, probably better than anything RA can afford unless Charley helps him.

• Love 7

Call me crazy, but I think that Grand Dame Boudreaux might actually be a decent ally. She actually does seem to want what Charlie wants, or at least is the opening that Charlie needs to stop this bullcrap. I do actually think Jacob really does like Charlie, but...dont go there, Charlie. Too much going on there anyway, and even when some of the Boudreauxs seem to be less awful than others, but I still raise many eyebrows. 

Charlie really read Remy for filth, it was awesome. I love how her anger seemed to be less about Nova and Remy hooking up, but about them sneaking around and lying to her, WHILE being two of the most judgmental, self important people in Louisiana. But, at least Nova actually did seem to feel bad about lying to her sister and clearly dating her ex, even if she was obviously sugar coating what really happened. "we kissed, but his lips just fell on top of mine! It happens!" Remy just showed up to try and claim that precious moral high ground he loves so much, making excuses and trying to still be Mr. Folksy McHomesttyle, instead of actually just being honest, or apologizing for lying to her. Especially considering, as Charlie said, he spent almost all of their relationship judging every single thing she did. 

I feared the worst when Vi`s business partner found out she had Lupus, but he actually handled it really well. He seems like a decent guy, glad that the pie business is really getting off the ground. Those pies look delicious! And Nova gets a prime article slot! Things are actually looking up, business wise, for the family. 

Darla did kind of spring that 70/30 thing on RA, but I dont feel sorry for him. RA has proven over and over that he makes awful life choices, has a bad temper, and I dont blame Darla for not wanting Blue around him full time. Of course he gives his sisters half the story, making himself look like the victim of mean Darla, and they jump to his defense. RA would probably be better off if his family ever told him he was an idiot. 

You know what else is idiot? Setting a bunch of lit candles on a super old building made of wood, and then put a bag next to the open flame! Then show up at the scene of the crime, with the evidence on your clothes! I knew things would go badly with the Woke kids, but this is a level of dumb I didnt even suspect. 

• Love 9
On 7/26/2018 at 9:07 AM, Chick2Chic said:

I also get that he still is sad about missing 4 years of Blue's life cause of he was put in prison.

And he seems to think that was Darla's fault too.  This child NEVER takes responsibility for his actions.  Great example for Blue -- NOT!

On 7/26/2018 at 1:00 PM, Dee said:

What has Charley done besides cuddle up to the enemy and flare her nostrils self righteously?

1) Hired a private investigator to get dirt on the Landrys which led to
2) Finding out about the false EPA reports which led to
3) Finding out about the prison.

That's just off the top of my head.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, jhlipton said:

And he seems to think that was Darla's fault too.  This child NEVER takes responsibility for his actions.  

On 7/26/2018 at 4:00 PM, Dee said:

I caught a whiff of that too in how he spoke about it. He needs to be mad at himself that his own actions cost him those 4 years with Blue.

11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Charlie really read Remy for filth, it was awesome. I love how her anger seemed to be less about Nova and Remy hooking up, but about them sneaking around and lying to her, WHILE being two of the most judgmental, self important people in Louisiana. But, at least Nova actually did seem to feel bad about lying to her sister and clearly dating her ex, even if she was obviously sugar coating what really happened. "we kissed, but his lips just fell on top of mine! It happens!" Remy just showed up to try and claim that precious moral high ground he loves so much, making excuses and trying to still be Mr. Folksy McHomesttyle, instead of actually just being honest, or apologizing for lying to her. Especially considering, as Charlie said, he spent almost all of their relationship judging every single thing she did. 

IA with this. I don't think Charley has romantic feelings for Remy anymore - some on twitter disagree & think she's still hung up on him - and her issue is their duplicity while they stay judging everything she does. 

11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I do actually think Jacob really does like Charlie, but...dont go there, Charlie. Too much going on there anyway, and even when some of the Boudreauxs seem to be less awful than others, but I still raise many eyebrows. 

Heh, I actually want to see her go there if only cause their chemistry is interesting and he's not like Remy or Davis, who both sucker punched her in different ways with their respective behavior. I couldn't figure out how she took to his declaration cause Frances came back in to the room be she looked shocked/confused. I think in some ways she's still shook from their kiss and running from that. 

On 7/26/2018 at 8:44 PM, Neurochick said:

That seems to be an ongoing issue with this show that they have everyone come together for these intense  scenes while they're in crisis rather than it be to actually resolve things. I think about how long Nova was mad at Charley's mom and Vi's behavior about it and then when it all came out, I just shook my head. In some ways that scenario is believable... I just think the show relies on doing that too often for the sake of *drama*. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, Empress1 said:

He is on the birth certificate - Charley said so this ep.

She judges the shit out of Charley and I was glad Charley called her on it. She judges Charley for using money to get out of problems even while stealing ten grand from her to solve a problem.

I actually thought the woke crew had time to run up and grab the backpack before things got too bad. There was a beat where whichever one whose bag it was was like "Oh no!" and kind of stood there and in that second I thought he could have grabbed the bag by the opposite end and stamped out the fire, even before he started to run to it and they stopped him (which they were right to do in THAT moment because the fire had already spread). But they're pretty fucked now.

I don't understand why I can't buy a Vi's Prized Pies cookbook. I heard a podcast once that talked about how there's a Bob's Burgers cookbook so there should definitely be one for Vi's Pies! I was so glad her revealing her diagnosis didn't mean the end of her dreams, and I loved that she was encouraging Hollywood to figure out what his were and go for them. 

Thanks for the info.. I heard it wrong. RA needs to get it together where Darla and Blue are concerned.

Edited by byrd
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Episode 10 isn’t up, so I’ll say it, “Fuck you Vi.”  Your family isn’t all that.  Go take care of your health, and your man you silly woman.

Aunt Vi is the black, way less trashy version of Caroline Manzo from RHONJ, when it comes to the male members of her family.

More thoughts when the topic is posted....

• Love 3
On 7/25/2018 at 10:12 PM, Neurochick said:

I would have handed Blue over to Darla the first chance I got if I was Ralph Angel.