Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Til the Day I Die 2018.07.18

Klaus turns to Davina for help to learn more about a mysterious affliction affecting Hope. On their wedding day, Freya and Keelin make a tough decision about their future together, while Elijah is forced to confront a past memory of Hayley. Finally, Declan's growing curiosity in the city's supernatural secrets forces Marcel to step in.

Promo:

Holy Hell, Freya!  You are damn lucky Keelin is forgiving.  You do not deserve her.  But since you have her, DO NOT HURT HER AGAIN.  I really wanted to tell Keelin to run away from these toxic (literal) monsters.  But the wedding was pretty.  

I very much enjoyed Kol's "By the power of a vested in my by a Franciscan monk in the 13th century and the internet few hours ago just to be on the safe side".  I just enjoy him in general. It was also delightful to see Davina.  And it was good to hear the show acknowledge that she was grieving Josh.

I almost liked the Haley and Elijah flash back and did like the letter.  And if that letter is the final beat in the Elijah guilt dance, I will officially nominated it for best performance by an inanimate object.

• Love 11

This episode was the first episode where I actually understood the Haylijah hooplah and a big part of that was that Hayley seemed more mature and actually like someone who's been a vampire for 15 years (unlike some of the TVD vampires who seemed stuck at the same age) . They were cute together.

But holy hell, Elijah's dying at the end of this season isn't he? They were laying that "in another lifetime" "I'm waiting for our next dance" bits on kind of thick.

And show, it's hard to sell the whole Hope is dying thing when we know that she has a spinoff premiering in the fall. 

Klaus is dying too isn't he? He's been way to nice and lowkey this season. And the desperation in his eyes while he's running around trying to figure out what's going on with Hope and hovering like a worried parent, I don't see him simply disappearing from her life if he isn't dead or trapped somewhere. 

But also aww at Klaus running around trying to put Freya's wedding together by doing regular Klaus things. and he and Rebekah were cute goofing around at the end of Freya/Keelin's wedding.

Davina's matured too. And I'm always happy to see Kol 

• Love 5
(edited)

Poor Freya - what a crappy day! First Elijah won't walk her down the aisle then Vincent tells her he's leaving town before her wedding and then she tells Keelin that the wedding is off because she doesn't want to have kids. And she didn't even know that Hope wanted to skip her wedding.

I know I'm supposed to think awww, Klaus must really love Freya to get that wedding venue for her, but all I could think was some other couple paid for that site (and paid for all the flowers) and Klaus just took it away from them by compelling the manager. HOW FUCKING RUDE. The Mikaelsons have a compound in New Orleans (and do they still have that house from S1?) so there are other places where Freya could have gotten married. Hell, go to one of the many plantations just outside the city and compel someone to let you rent it for the day. But taking it away from someone else is so selfish so that you could gather, like, ten people together? Elijah, Klaus, Freya, Keelin, Kol, Davina, Rebekah, Hope, Marcel - that's it, right?

I have tried to overlook all the illogical magical rules that have been done in the Vampire Diaries/Originals universe, buy having Davina use the "magical signature in Hope's tears" to find an antidote to what's happening to her? Seriously, show?

1 hour ago, Gwen-Stacys said:

And show, it's hard to sell the whole Hope is dying thing when we know that she has a spinoff premiering in the fall. 

I know, right? It's hard for me to take any of this "Hope is being eaten alive by this terrible awful magic thing inside her!" when we know they already announced the spinoff. The only suspenseful thing is which of her family members will sacrifice themselves in order for her to live. I'm guessing Elijah will be the noble one who does it, partly out of his guilt for Hayley's death but also partly because he is the Mikaelson who has nothing to live for anymore: Klaus has Hope, Kol has Davina, Freya has Keelin, and Rebekah has Marcel. That leaves Elijah to go off to that big dancefloor in the sky. But I could also see Klaus teaming up with Elijah to die together, leaving Freya and Keelin to parent her. I'm sure Rebekah and Marcel would be happy to coparent too since Rebekah has said often in the past that she wants a family. Obviously they can't have anyone parent her too much since she's going back to Hogwarts, but I don't think they'll kill off the entire family to save her. Someone should get a happy ending, damn it!

One thing that the show hasn't addressed too much is the immortal Mikaelsons dealing with the death of mortals. Freya is a witch but she's mortal. When they brought her into the family, I always wondered how the other siblings would deal with her inevitable death. When they let Kol and Davina have their happily ever after, I wondered the same thing. Like Freya, Davina is a powerful witch but she's still mortal which means she is going to die in less than 100 years. How will Kol cope with that? And how will he deal with watching her age? I guess we'll never find out now since obviously the show was never going to do an 80 year time jump!

Of all the siblings, Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah are the closest so if Elijah and/or Klaus die to save hope, it is going to hit her the hardest. I guess that will get her to finally let herself be with Marcel. I can't believe there are only two episodes left to tie everything up.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

Is Hope's hair redder than it was a few months ago?

When Hope was toasting after the stolen wedding, shouldn't Davina have looked sad? She knew about Hope's condition, too.

Happy Elijah could have chemistry with a bag of chips.

Overall, it hit most of the right emotional points.

• Love 1

As reserved as Elijah can be, I suspect he would have given Klaus a lot more hugs like that in the past if he thought Klaus would have tolerated them. Elijah has always loved Klaus so fiercely but I feel like part of his usually calm demeanor is due in part to Klaus (not just their crazy parents). I think Elijah (correctly) believed that Klaus wanted loyalty but that he also viewed his siblings blatant shows of affection as weakness. Klaus prefers unquestioning obedience to hugs.

Ok. So I loved seeing the whole family together and slightly happy but...was it really appropriate to have a wedding RIGHT NOW.  I mean you'd think Freya would be scouring for ways to save Hope or they'd just get through Josh's funeral. I just didn't like it but ok fine. I'd almost find it more believable for Rebekah and Marcel to have a quick "let's do this thing" wedding just because if she actually agreed he'd want to seal the deal quickly. I mean what's the friggin hurry Keelin? Plus I'd be more invested in Rebekah and Marcel after years of their relationship and their relationships with Elijah and Klaus.  Would have been so much more emotional for me. But ok. It's not about me I guess. Everybody looked pretty.

So is Davina supposed to be in her 30s now? I mean she was what 16 or so when Hope was born right? Just chalk it up to Girl is using magical oil of Olay. I always assumed either Kol and Davina would find a magical way to keep her young or he'd turn her at some point. Would have been an interesting story to explore. 

Yeah I have no fear of Hopes death so all the emotions come from seeing her family deal with the thought of it. I also felt they were telegraphing an Elijah death but hey, maybe Klaus.  Poor Hope if it's Klaus but she could play full on orphaned Harry Potter at Hogwarts on her new show I guess.  

And yes the brotherly hug was awesome. If Elijah does die I can imagine the only thing that would save Klaus from completely spiraling out of control is Hope. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/19/2018 at 8:28 AM, Gwen-Stacys said:

But holy hell, Elijah's dying at the end of this season isn't he? They were laying that "in another lifetime" "I'm waiting for our next dance" bits on kind of thick.

Yeah, that was really obvious to me. Add to that the Josh/Aiden ending from last week, and they are building us up to "he/she died, but it's OK because they're happy!" The only question for me is, how many family members die and thus won't appear on the spinoff? I find it hard to believe they won't want to keep some Mikaelsons around for the Hope show, and kind of hard to believe it wouldn't be Klaus (and probably Freya). I can see them killing off Elijah more because he's so damn tortured, and haven't there been some rumblings over the years of Gillies being a little snippy with certain costars or situations? I can just see him wanting to move on a bit more.

On 7/19/2018 at 9:59 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know I'm supposed to think awww, Klaus must really love Freya to get that wedding venue for her, but all I could think was some other couple paid for that site (and paid for all the flowers) and Klaus just took it away from them by compelling the manager. HOW FUCKING RUDE.

I was bothered too - so typical of Klaus, though. But it's probably too much to expect any of these people to significantly change their stripes after 1,000 years, right? 

It would be nice for the show to address the Davina-aging situation before the end, even if it's just to fan-wank that she concocted some type of spell to keep her young. I'm guessing that it's not as much of an issue for Freya - she will age with Keelin, and then her immortal family will have to learn to live without her, just like they did before - but at least she'll have a normal life and be happy.

Did we know that Freya lost a baby? Why do I have no memory of that? Did that happen during one of her years of being awake?

WTF, Vincent? Why couldn't he stay for the wedding? That was weird. It's like the actor had another commitment that precluded him from filming wherever they shot the farm/barn scenes.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, MissL said:

So is Davina supposed to be in her 30s now? I mean she was what 16 or so when Hope was born right? Just chalk it up to Girl is using magical oil of Olay. I always assumed either Kol and Davina would find a magical way to keep her young or he'd turn her at some point. Would have been an interesting story to explore. 

Wasn't she dead for five years before the hollow brought her back? So she'd still be 20-something body wise (around the same age as the actress irl). On top of that people don't always look significantly older than 20-something at 30.

4 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Did we know that Freya lost a baby? Why do I have no memory of that? Did that happen during one of her years of being awake?

In season 2 we learned that she tried to kill herself and her unborn baby to keep him from Dahlia. She succeeded in killing the baby but not herself...it's why she's so messed up about it.

• Love 3

Wasn't she dead for five years before the hollow brought her back? So she'd still be 20-something body wise (around the same age as the actress irl).

Yes. She wouldn`t have aged during that time. Also, over on TVD there was at least one or two witches who slowed their aging down so much they still looked 30 tops, depite being 80 or 100 years old. Seems to be not big of a deal. Davina is powerful, she can probably pull it off easy. I reckon at some point Kol and her can discuss if she wants to be turned.

• Love 1
(edited)

Klaus will be the one to die.  The great, evil, Klaus Mikaelson will sacrifice himself for the love of his 1000 year life - his daughter. If the writers are on it, it will break the family curse and set them all free.  Marcel, his other love, will be his male heir and will always watch over Hope with the same ferocity as Klaus himself and will give Rebeka the love SHE’s always wanted too.  The two of them will be her parental figures - Marcel, who held baby Hope before either of her parents and Auntie Beks who cared for her and kept her safe.  Seems fitting.

From a business and narrative standpoint, no spinoff could have legs of its own with Klaus still in the picture.  Love him (which I did) or hate him, this was Klaus’ story.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 3

Klaus found out his daughter was dying yet he suffered in silence to support Freya's relationship and took the initiative to pick up Elijah's slack. Elijah with his endless deadly family values rejected his sister as she begged him to be there for her - just for the day and seriously walked out the door when Klaus told him his niece was dying. Seems pretty wrong that Hayley's letter brings him absolution as he ignores the news of her daughter's impending death. 
But he's Elijah and as tyh Klaus & Elijah dynamic have been part of practically everything since tvd s2, I expect him to have a role to play. 

I'm not okay with Hope's death leading the end of the the series. Not is their a spin-off revealing she won't die, Hope's barely been a character with a few dozen lines as a child before now. I'm invested in Klaus' emotional attachment but not Hope herself and secondary interest and anticipation at this stage isn't enough. I feel like the curse is important but someone please explain to me how someone fathered by Klaus and who could sire hybrids in utero is bound by the moon. -or why they can't they split the power again?

Kol is a favorite and I'll argue forever over the grotesque misuse of his character and all the untapped barely alluded to potential but he him happy, content and sentimental is so strange. The dagger reference was appreciated that no matter the changes he just couldn't help himself. Being ordained twice over because the internet would somehow qualify his legally non-existent person to marry his sister, also born in the 10th century, in ways a monk would not...

Who thinks informing humans of their deadly supernatural neighbors is something to do on a whim? And sorry Declan humans really are food. Was it really a coincidence that the only real peace NOLA can remember had no human faction? 

This ending for Marcel and Rebekah is incredibly perfect, because he's right it's never really over. If Klaus, Marcel's faked death and the multiple unforgiveable betrayals between them haven't stopped them Rebekah's yearning for humanity won't either.

3 hours ago, Timetoread said:

Klaus will be the one to die.  The great, evil, Klaus Mikaelson will sacrifice himself for the love of his 1000 year life - his daughter. If the writers are on it, it will break the family curse and set them all free.  Marcel, his other love, will be his male heir and will always watch over Hope with the same ferocity as Klaus himself and will give Rebeka the love SHE’s always wanted too.  The two of them will be her parental figures - Marcel, who held baby Hope before either of her parents and Auntie Beks who cared for her and kept her safe.  Seems fitting.

Klaus can't die not only has he finally shown irrefutable emotional growth and succeeded in becoming a real dad to Hope no matter how unorthodox but the tvd finale prohibits it by referencing some sort of relationship between him and Caroline that affects her significantly. If a Mikaelson dies it be Elijah not just because of everything with Hayley & owing Hope but because for the first time ever Klaus might able to live without him. For a thousand years Elijah's fought for Klaus' redemption and salvation and in a purely Mikaelson way, that fight is over

(edited)
1 hour ago, Sam Marie said:

Klaus can't die not only has he finally shown irrefutable emotional growth and succeeded in becoming a real dad to Hope no matter how unorthodox but the tvd finale prohibits it by referencing some sort of relationship between him and Caroline that affects her significantly. If a Mikaelson dies it be Elijah not just because of everything with Hayley & owing Hope but because for the first time ever Klaus might able to live without him. For a thousand years Elijah's fought for Klaus' redemption and salvation and in a purely Mikaelson way, that fight is over

Agreed. Personally this entire season has been leading up to Elijah dying and Klaus surviving. IMO, Elijah will sacrifice himself for Hope to make up for his part in Haley's death (also final absolution for Mikael/Klaus - not saying he needs to but, that guilt has been a driving motivation of the dysfunctional/codependent Klaus/Elijah relationship).  This episode particularly set off the Elijah dies anvils for me. I also can't see them killing off both of Hope's parents in a single season.

Edited by Morrigan2575
15 hours ago, Sam Marie said:

Who thinks informing humans of their deadly supernatural neighbors is something to do on a whim?

Especially since Declan would if logic prevails just be dismissed as a nut by everybody not in the know and thrown in the funny farm, while those humans who are in the know will just go along with it and pretend they don't know. Only idiot plotting could have Declan's threat actually amount to anything.

And sorry Declan humans really are food.

For Vampires and Werewolves both, and even witches will use bog standard humans as components in their spells whenever they feel like it. If Declan actually succeeded in showing the world that vampires exist he'd be responsible for the near extinction of the human race. I say "near" because only those humans who are really really stupid and the witches wouldn't flock straight to New Orleans and have the vamps there turn them until there was barely any human beings left on the planet considering how much being a bog standard human sucks and how vastly superior being a vampire is to being a human in just about every way, especially if you got a Daylight ring.

I won't be so sure. That would work only if all the supernatural creatures allied with each other against humans (it's not guaranteed, there's long running enmity between vamps and wolves, and witches identify more as human than the other two) and humans in turn were not willing to suffer collateral losses to rid themselves of vampires. 

(edited)
6 hours ago, ursula said:

I won't be so sure. That would work only if all the supernatural creatures allied with each other against humans (it's not guaranteed, there's long running enmity between vamps and wolves, and witches identify more as human than the other two) and humans in turn were not willing to suffer collateral losses to rid themselves of vampires. 

No, I mean there wouldn't be any "fight", no "war" to exterminate vampires and the rest of the supernaturals. If the existence of vampires and everything that goes with them was revealed to the world at large, humans would have themselves turned into vampire en mass until there was barely any humans left. Being a human completely sucks in the Diaries universe while being a vampire is better by leaps and bounds with barely any drawbacks at all, one of which is easy to eliminate, why wouldn't the human race want to trade up?

Edited by immortalfrieza
17 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

If the existence of vampires and everything that goes with them was revealed to the world at large, humans would have themselves turned into vampire en mass until there was barely any humans left. Being a human completely sucks in the Diaries universe while being a vampire is better by leaps and bounds with barely any drawbacks at all, one of which is easy to eliminate, why wouldn't the human race want to trade up?

The show isn't consistent with this. On the one hand, vampires >>> humans. On the other hand, the uber-vampiress herself, Rebekah Mikaelson was desperately searching for the Cure and never seemed content with her immortality. And she was clearly not the only one. 

Anyway, going by humanity's millenia-old horror of The Other - I doubt that the first reaction to Vampirism would be a desire to trade-up but probably a mix of both. I can see where this can easily turn into a class/religious war. 

1 minute ago, ursula said:

The show isn't consistent with this. On the one hand, vampires >>> humans. On the other hand, the uber-vampiress herself, Rebekah Mikaelson was desperately searching for the Cure and never seemed content with her immortality. And she was clearly not the only one.

Oh, they're perfectly consistent about how massively better being a vampire is than being a human, it's just that the characters just love acting like being a vampire is this horrible curse instead of literally the best thing that could possibly have happened to them for no good reason. Granted, the Originals' screwed up family life has resulted in their existence being a pretty sucky one, but it's entirely the result of their own actions rather than any of it of it having anything to do with actually being a vampire itself.

Anyway, going by humanity's millenia-old horror of The Other - I doubt that the first reaction to Vampirism would be a desire to trade-up but probably a mix of both. I can see where this can easily turn into a class/religious war. 

If the reveal was dishonest and just painted vampires as nothing more than bloodthirsty soulless monsters I could see that happening. However, if the reveal was truthful and thus included all that being a vampire results in there would be a lines from New Orleans to both coasts of some odd 7 billion people waiting to be turned into vampires because they couldn't turn people fast enough. Afterward, only the werewolves who can't become Hybrids with some loopholes, the witches who can do more everything being a vampire provides plus far more with their magic and the right ingredients, and the idiots and bigots who are too stupid to realize what an amazing deal being a vampire is would be left over. There wouldn't even be a need for some humans to hold back on turning to provide blood because animal blood works just as well.

I think Alaric is the only human in both shows t hat could legitimately make a pro human argument. Despite his defense of the human race and how he desperately cling to his humanity Matt's life was the ultimate example of how unfortunate & disadvantaged humans were among the supernatural. The O'Connell family were really the only humans other than the cop in NOLA and I think we can all agree it didn't end well for any of them. I'm not totally convinced of Rebekah's desire to be human, even when offered the chance in s2 she hesitated and tried to back out when she wouldn't be able to return to her Original body rather than die of old age plus Elijah's human challenge over the cure made her miserable. Even given an entirely human life she would still have the connections and protection o d her family not to mention a 1000+ year lifespan, neither making for an average human experience.

In my mind Declan had more than enough proof of the supernatural but his primary source are the journals of his infamously crazy relatives. The city's better off without the human faction especially if the others are showing consideration for the humans. The fear, panic, judgement and general hysteria along contribute nothing save their pointless power plays and them being placated or destroyed

On 7/19/2018 at 9:59 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Poor Freya - what a crappy day! First Elijah won't walk her down the aisle then Vincent tells her he's leaving town before her wedding and then she tells Keelin that the wedding is off because she doesn't want to have kids. And she didn't even know that Hope wanted to skip her wedding.

I know I'm supposed to think awww, Klaus must really love Freya to get that wedding venue for her, but all I could think was some other couple paid for that site (and paid for all the flowers) and Klaus just took it away from them by compelling the manager. HOW FUCKING RUDE. The Mikaelsons have a compound in New Orleans (and do they still have that house from S1?) so there are other places where Freya could have gotten married. Hell, go to one of the many plantations just outside the city and compel someone to let you rent it for the day. But taking it away from someone else is so selfish so that you could gather, like, ten people together? Elijah, Klaus, Freya, Keelin, Kol, Davina, Rebekah, Hope, Marcel - that's it, right?

Also, Klaus said that there was going to be a wedding or mass murder there. The compulsion is pretty regular, but it probably beats the indiscriminate feedings and murders. Then there are the people compelled to kill themselves. From the beginning, The Originals was pitched as a mob family drama and that's what it is. A bunch of entitled scions have drama and everyone else is a pawn.