Type keyword(s) to search

The Incredible Dr. Pol - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

When Dr. Nicole was stitching up that horse’s facial laceration, there was a dog running around with a big stick wanting to play fetch! It was so cute putting the stick down for someone to throw. I hope somebody played with it!

If Assassin’s eyes were looking weird for six months, why were those women just now taking the cat to Dr. Pol’s? Even if the cat goes blind, it will do fine (as an indoor cat!). You wouldn’t know my Aemon Targaryen was blind if it weren’t for his unusual looking eyes.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

Poor little hedgehogs. ☹️ The woman said it was her daughter’s but you could tell she loved it and was about to cry.

I was so angry with the woman who brought in the calico who was close to death because of fleas. You 🤬! Why wasn’t the cat you claimed to love so much not on a flea preventative if you let her go outside? And couldn’t you tell she was infested with fleas? Wonder if the poor kitty survived.

Was that colt who cut his leg a Percheron? He was beautiful.

Dr. Nicole is such a delight. I love her personality.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Poor little hedgehogs. ☹️ The woman said it was her daughter’s but you could tell she loved it and was about to cry.

I was so angry with the woman who brought in the calico who was close to death because of fleas. You 🤬! Why wasn’t the cat you claimed to love so much not on a flea preventative if you let her go outside? And couldn’t you tell she was infested with fleas? Wonder if the poor kitty survived.

Dr. Nicole is such a delight. I love her personality.

+1 to all that, but especially about the poor cat literally being eaten to death by fleas. I think my jaw dropped when Dr. Pol diagnosed that. All I could think was, geez lady you're all weeping for the TV cameras about how much you love your "baby." But you couldn't give the cat a simple pill or topical treatment once a freaking month? Where I live the topical treatments are now OTC, FFS. Just buy 'em at Walmart and keep your pets safe. 

I was tired after a day when I got to go outdoors (yay) so last night's episodes sort of blurred together. It was nice to see a few scenes where owners brought in healthy litters of puppies for their first checkups and shots. Helped to balance out the cases of neglect. 

I was impressed by the efforts of the family whose dog got loose and was hit by a car. I'm sure that set of wheels they got for him wasn't cheap, and I'm also sure that the special care needed for his recovery has to take a lot of time and effort. I hope his nerve damage continued to heal. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It looked like a Percheron colt. Dr. Pol goes to the Amish farms so he treats a lot of draft breeds.

• Love 1

This last episode seem to bounce between Halloween and Christmas.  I wonder if the owner of that big orange cat ever brought the new kitten in. 

The two new vets calling Dr. Pol to help them with the bladder stone. Poor steer, seems like an odd design flaw in the urinary tract to have an S curve in a place like that! So once they make a new hole to pee out of, just it  just dribble for the rest of it's life? 

Of course someone shows up with a sick puppy that they "just got" the day before. Wish they could put a stop to that.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

On another note, anyone plan to watch the new abscess of animals show?

I am, but I wonder if it's simply recycled segments, or new things we haven't seen yet.  We'll see.

• Love 1
On 8/18/2020 at 7:39 PM, parrotfeathers said:

With all of the vets around here still being "closed" to humans, I wonder if they are doing any filming right now for future episodes.

On another note, anyone plan to watch the new abscess of animals show?

Oh, hell no!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Well I watched the abscess show.  It was pretty neat.  I'd seen the ones  Dr. Pol was in.

It seems to be a combination of old items and things that never made a show for whatever reason.  There's also a United Vets of America show coming next weekend, which looks like another semi-recycle job.  I'm guessing that they don't have a lot of new content right now.

• Love 1
On 8/31/2020 at 5:26 AM, parrotfeathers said:

I recently read Dr. Brenda no longer wants to participate in any on camera episodes.   I think she adds a lot to the show.

I know that at one point, Pol was talking about what would happen to the practice if he were to retire, and that Brenda has bad knees and wouldn't want to take it over.  It does seem as though her participation has become less and less already, especially now that there are 5 vets in the clinic.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Did she say why? I really like Dr. Brenda.

I think I read that she wants to be a vet and not have to stop and explain what and why what she's done to viewers.  She probably is very matter of fact.  I do love Dr. Nicole.

I am still wondering about that flea infested cat.  I have a feeling it died.

7 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I think I read that she wants to be a vet and not have to stop and explain what and why what she's done to viewers.  

I wouldn't be surprised.  The farm calls are time on the road and sometimes physically taxing, and we know from Dr. Emily's blog that they are expected to see a crazy number of clients per shift in the clinic.  To also have to sit and answer the producers' same questions on each filming day would tend to get old.  Plus, their actions are scrutinized based on an edited-for-time presentation of the consultation and treatment.  I think she's probably quite settled into her life and just no longer thinks the extra money from the show is worth the extra work and attention; it has gone on long enough, and she just wants to put her head down and work.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I think I read that she wants to be a vet and not have to stop and explain what and why what she's done to viewers.  She probably is very matter of fact.  I do love Dr. Nicole.

I am still wondering about that flea infested cat.  I have a feeling it died.

Me, too. I love her upbeat personality.

• Love 1

Ok, the dog, Abby, on this week's episode, looked like she might have had vestibular disease, which can resolve.  We saw him do no diagnostics, but Pol immediately said it was "something with the brain", and that there was nothing that could be done.  Actually, there are a bunch of things that can be done.  I don't think that dog needed to be put down.

Watching a 'new' episode from yesterday - I hate these disguised reruns. Half the time I'd be fine watching even knowing it's a rerun, but end up mad by being snookered when I expect 'new' and find 'slightly altered rerun' this was was the puppy being treated by Dr Emily who was poisoned with an OTC flea treatment - how many animals get poisoned by owners who buy this stuff thinking they're helping. This retread is various clips of puppies and dogs.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Watching a 'new' episode from yesterday - I hate these disguised reruns. Half the time I'd be fine watching even knowing it's a rerun, but end up mad by being snookered when I expect 'new' and find 'slightly altered rerun'

Same here.   Seems that's been happening a couple of years (not just Covid).  One "new case" inserted in a rerun.  Not fun.

1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Same here.   Seems that's been happening a couple of years (not just Covid).  One "new case" inserted in a rerun.  Not fun.

I agree. I've read that Dr. Brenda has noped out of participating in the show going forward, but of course we see her - and Dr. Emily who moved out of state early this year - all over these "new" episodes. I need to get a life; I was browsing around YouTube and found a Dr. Pol channel which is obviously the work of Charles. It's kind of lame and sometimes downright cringeworthy, but it's recent content (featuring Charles' and Beth's baby big time, of course) and what looks like recent footage of Charles doing a remote video chat with Dr. Brenda. 

I like her quiet personality and the way she talks to the animals, but I get why she could just be over the whole thing of practicing with a film crew tagging along. If she started practicing as a vet in 1992, she's got almost 30 years under her belt now and must be in her 50's. Given the long hours and physical demands of a mixed large/small animal practice, I wouldn't be surprised if the woman is just damned TIRED. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I agree. I've read that Dr. Brenda has noped out of participating in the show going forward, but of course we see her - and Dr. Emily who moved out of state early this year - all over these "new" episodes. I need to get a life; I was browsing around YouTube and found a Dr. Pol channel which is obviously the work of Charles. It's kind of lame and sometimes downright cringeworthy, but it's recent content (featuring Charles' and Beth's baby big time, of course) and what looks like recent footage of Charles doing a remote video chat with Dr. Brenda. 

I like her quiet personality and the way she talks to the animals, but I get why she could just be over the whole thing of practicing with a film crew tagging along. If she started practicing as a vet in 1992, she's got almost 30 years under her belt now and must be in her 50's. Given the long hours and physical demands of a mixed large/small animal practice, I wouldn't be surprised if the woman is just damned TIRED. 

Good to know -- there's a YouTube channel I won't be frequenting!

As for Brenda, as I mentioned above, she has some physical ailments as well that must make doing her job really hard.  Adding in a film crew in your face probably makes it not worth the extra money.

As for these retread shows, that channel is "All Pol All the Time".  He's like the Guy Fieri of Nat Geo.

Edited by Rammchick
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

There's was an article asking Dr. Pol if he ever will retire, and what will happen to the practice, and the show if that happens.   Dr. Pol said a long time ago, that he would have a hard time finding someone who wants to work long-term in a large and small animal practice.  Not many people want a very heavy schedule of farm and office calls, combined with emergency calls.    I suspect that when the large animal oriented vet school at Texas Tech opens, that the instructors will come from people who enjoy large animal practice, but hate the work schedule, so that will siphon off quite a few vets for that.  

He said Dr. Brenda has never been a fan of the filming, because it take so much more time, and slows down patient care.   Dr. Pol also said he doesn't think Dr. Brenda would want to be the head of the practice, she likes doing veterinary care, and doesn't like all of the other things the head of the practice would do.   I think she's also been injured a few times over the years, and that can really add up. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There's was an article asking Dr. Pol if he ever will retire, and what will happen to the practice, and the show if that happens.   

He said Dr. Brenda has never been a fan of the filming, because it take so much more time, and slows down patient care.   Dr. Pol also said he doesn't think Dr. Brenda would want to be the head of the practice, she likes doing veterinary care, and doesn't like all of the other things the head of the practice would do.   I think she's also been injured a few times over the years, and that can really add up. 

I totally get that. So many people on the employee side really have no idea what extra goes into being the boss. Also, if Dr Pol calls it quits, what are chances his wife will stick around to run the office? I suspect replacing Dr Pol the veterinarian, even with his experience and solid customer relations, would be easier than replcing experienced office manager Diane.

As far as Brenda, she is good on camera and I enjoy watching her, but sometimes I get feeling she would be happier without a camera crew. I had heard she was going to cut back, or even opt out, of camera time. So far I still see her alot, maybe not as much with the extra Newby vets, but also so far a lot seems to be retread/clip episodes and not new.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There's was an article asking Dr. Pol if he ever will retire, and what will happen to the practice,

It seems as if vets retiring nowadays sell out to corporations.  It's hard to spot when this happens because things go right along as usual.  My previous vet sold his practice to a corporation and the vets were told that they had to see so many patients an hour.   

Okay, I know it's 2020 and there are bigger things to be concerned about than TV entertainment. But. This weekend my DVR picked up a an allegedly "new" episode of this series, but it was all recycled material. Now I see they are running some promos saying there will be a "new season" next month. 

It's probably a strange symptom of pandemic fatigue, but lately I can't tolerate a lot of the polyglot assortment of TV shows I used to watch, or at least have on as background noise. For whatever reason, this series is still tolerable, and I often have it on during the weekdays when they usually show a few old episodes back to back. Although if I never see another cow with prolapse or stalled labor? My life will be no less well-lived, lol. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Claire85 said:

I don’t always mind the recycled shows because they have Dr. Emily. I can’t warm up to Dr. Nicole. 

Good, I’m not the only one. I change the channel or mute when she’s on.  Can’t put my finger on why but I jut don’t like her 

• Love 1

I stopped watching when Dr. Emily left.    It just wasn't fun any more for me.    I wonder if Emily and Tony ever sold the Michigan house?    Nicole seemed nice, but I guess I just had my fill of prolapses, and clients who won't stop breeding dogs for profit, and some clients that don't seem to bring animals to the vet when they need to. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 12/1/2020 at 2:58 PM, Jeeves said:

Okay, I know it's 2020 and there are bigger things to be concerned about than TV entertainment. But. This weekend my DVR picked up a an allegedly "new" episode of this series, but it was all recycled material. Now I see they are running some promos saying there will be a "new season" next month. 

It's probably a strange symptom of pandemic fatigue, but lately I can't tolerate a lot of the polyglot assortment of TV shows I used to watch, or at least have on as background noise. For whatever reason, this series is still tolerable, and I often have it on during the weekdays when they usually show a few old episodes back to back. Although if I never see another cow with prolapse or stalled labor? My life will be no less well-lived, lol. 

It seems like they've done this for a couple years now.  Even when the "new" 2021 season comes out, scenes from previous years will be included. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I like Dr. Nicole.

I do too.  She's always friendly with a smile for the animal owners, and she seems to be doing a good job.  I hope she stays with Dr. Pol.  Since she's originally from Michigan, she knows what the winters are like.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I like Dr. Nicole.

I'm on both sides - at first I didn't care for her (might have been partly because Dr Emily was on way out)......... now I like how she is always eager to jump in - and willing to learn new stuff from old school Doc Pol

• Love 2

I also like Dr. Nicole. She's outgoing and as @SRTouch said, seems eager to learn. It kind of cracks me up that she wears shirts and coveralls with her full name and "DVM" embroidered on them, but hey, she earned that degree and license to practice. And if she's proud of it, she has a right to be. I get the impression that she's ambitious, and I don't fault her for that, because she also appears to be conscientious and serious about how she practices and treats each patient.  

• Love 3

From what I read, Dr Brenda is still working at the vet practice, but stopped filming.      I've read before that she said filming was interfering with vet work, so I can see why she quit filming.      I like Nicole, but I can only watch so many difficult cow births, or prolapses. 

• Love 5
On 12/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, Jeeves said:

I also like Dr. Nicole. She's outgoing and as @SRTouch said, seems eager to learn. It kind of cracks me up that she wears shirts and coveralls with her full name and "DVM" embroidered on them, but hey, she earned that degree and license to practice. And if she's proud of it, she has a right to be. I get the impression that she's ambitious, and I don't fault her for that, because she also appears to be conscientious and serious about how she practices and treats each patient.  

She also has a Master of Public Health degree. 

• Love 3

Holy hell, I just watched part of an old episode in which a chinchilla died on the operating table (probably because it would have anyway, possibly because the clinic generally does shit all to monitor animals while they're under anesthesia, but that's another rant) and Dr. Pol told the owner within MINUTES of talking to her in the aftermath that she should get another pet since this was her only one.  Are you fucking kidding me?!  Everyone is ready on their own timeline, so you don't make a declaration like that EVER, let alone while a teenager is standing in an examination room crying and trying to process.  I'm so disgusted (and reminded why I rarely watch this show anymore, as I'm so often annoyed by him and/or his clients).

Edited by Bastet

But as annoyed as I've always been, I also have to - as another episode in this marathon reminded me - give props for the Pol vets' willingness to go on site/come into the clinic for an emergency call.  I'm fortunate enough to live within less than 10 minutes of the nearest 24-hour veterinary hospital, and for it to be a terrific one, and to have two others within 15 and 20 minutes, respectively, in case of a tremendous back-up.  (And back in the day, my primary vet would stay if the pet's condition was such that overnight monitoring was advised but transferring her/him to hospital was more stressful than necessary.)  

For these folks where there aren't many regular vets, never mind emergency vets, in the area, it's great that the Pol clinic is on call, and even Dr. Pol himself will haul his ass out/in if it seems time sensitive.

• Love 2