Type keyword(s) to search

S03. E11. Disposable Heroes 2018.07.11

Well now we know where kynes stands... He's a good guy... And I think any semblance of "good guy"  has been stripoed away from Snyder... Looking fwd to the last two episodes I'm assuming they will be action packed

• Love 3

I actually think that if Kynes told Snyder his plan, he'd be on board and would do whatever he could to keep the IGA from finding out/interfering. Unfortunately, it's too late for that now.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Efzee said:

I actually think that if Kynes told Snyder his plan, he'd be on board and would do whatever he could to keep the IGA from finding out/interfering. Unfortunately, it's too late for that now.

I don’t have that much faith in Snyder :-)

• Love 6

Is Kynes a "good guy"? I get that that's what the show might be trying to portray him as but in a way he's kind of Hitler-Lite. Just in the fact that he has chosen a bunch of people--including soldiers--who he thinks will be good for the "reboot of the human race." And he's clearly in charge of this reboot. He's not really killing people--just sacrificing some to the hosts and letting others to fend for themselves if they are not good enough for his bloc. OTOH, I get the practicality of needing doctors and engineers in order to rebuild and needing to work with the hosts if you want to survive. I just think it's more nuanced than "good guys" and "bad guys".

Also, it looks like he's going to be on the side of whoever is winning in terms of the aliens. We don't really know which are the good guys and the bad guys in terms of the aliens either. The hosts who are on earth or the others who are chasing them? There might be legitimate reasons they are fighting or maybe neither side is good--just war-like.

2 hours ago, Efzee said:

ITA. In fact, it was short-sighted of Kynes not to. Snyder would be an incredible asset. 

• Love 2

I'm with the "don't trust Snyder" crowd.  His motives are very murky.

In the beginning with the guy coming out of the capsule, it seemed like my reception was very jerky.  Like it would freeze for half a second.  Was that deliberate?

One thing this show is surprisingly strong on is continuity between the seasons.  Things like the list got brought up in season 1 and then just dropped.  The woman that Snyder worked for then made a reference about the hosts having a different sense of time.  

• Love 2

How trivial would it be to fake one of those Outliers IDs numbers? Temporary back tattoo that can withstand water or sweat; easy peasy.

So apparently the Hosts' real enemy is the Predators?

Snyder is something else. He must be terrified trying to keep all his lies straight. But hey, he's managed to reach the top of a tall mountain in his world, although it's pretty much in the process of falling down.

After what happened during the first invasion it didn't occur to Will and Broussard that maybe the Outliers were being herded to one place so they could be destroyed? I was surprised they went in that warehouse.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I'm with the "don't trust Snyder" crowd.  His motives are very murky.

In the beginning with the guy coming out of the capsule, it seemed like my reception was very jerky.  Like it would freeze for half a second.  Was that deliberate?

One thing this show is surprisingly strong on is continuity between the seasons.  Things like the list got brought up in season 1 and then just dropped.  The woman that Snyder worked for then made a reference about the hosts having a different sense of time.  

My TV froze momentarily too.  Also was wondering if it was deliberate.

• Love 1

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about the three outliers that were killed in the opening scene.

I'm a bit confused about the chain of events.

In earlier seasons (don't recall specifics) we saw a couple of outliers (as we now know) being taken, stuffed into those capsules and later, at the labor camp, we saw the capsules being transported off the planet IIRC. Now, the outliers remain in the colony while in the pod, although I suppose it's possible the ones we saw earlier this season simply hadn't been transported off planet yet.

Now, in this opening scene, we see they are apparently set loose somewhere (not sure if it's Earth or not) to see whether they can defend against an attack. Presumably released by the hosts to see if they can fight the host's enemy. It's possible the hosts keep changing the green gunk they're feeding the pod outliers in the hopes of improving them so they can defeat the enemy, which is tested on a test ground?

Anyway, at least two of the outliers seemed to speak the same language. Now, my version didn't have subtitles (I don't know if anyone's did) but it didn't sound like anything recognizable to me. Was it a known foreign language and the two just happened to speak the same language? Have they had training or instructions in between kidnap/transport and this experiment? They must have been at least conscious at one point, because how else would they know about the tattoo on their back?! And that it was a symbol to show others saying "I'm just like you, we must work together" rather than try to kill/escape each other?

• Love 2

I thought they didn't speak the same language.  The man was speaking a Chinese language? and the woman was speaking Russian? maybe?  But they did know to identify each other by tattoo and then used hand signals to communicate.  In any case the Hosts need a new plan if they think the outliers are going to be able to fight an invisible enemy.  Good luck with that.

Kynes thinks he can start a worldwide revolution with a handful of personally selected soldiers in a remote corner of the US?  Good luck with that too.  I did love that he shut down the computers and turned off the lights when he left.  No one is going to play with his toys!  And reminding Snyder and the woman (Elena?) that they are being used because they are weak.

Now I'm getting the feeling again that Bram is going to opt for siding with the Hosts so Gracie can live a somewhat drama free life.  I hate kids in sci fi shows.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Efzee said:

Now, in this opening scene, we see they are apparently set loose somewhere (not sure if it's Earth or not) to see whether they can defend against an attack.

I agree with you on that premise.  In fact, it probably isn't Earth, or at least a very isolated part of Earth that the Predators control.  The battle between the two big guys doesn't even relate to Earth; we're just the battleground.  My new question is, why is this alien war force,  1)capable of building a complex wall and laying it down all at once around geographic areas, 2)capable of creating and using airborne killer drones, and 3)capable of interstellar travel, relying on small caliber automatic weapons to try and defeat an enemy as powerful as the Predators?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I agree with you on that premise.  In fact, it probably isn't Earth, or at least a very isolated part of Earth that the Predators control.  The battle between the two big guys doesn't even relate to Earth; we're just the battleground.  My new question is, why is this alien war force,  1)capable of building a complex wall and laying it down all at once around geographic areas, 2)capable of creating and using airborne killer drones, and 3)capable of interstellar travel, relying on small caliber automatic weapons to try and defeat an enemy as powerful as the Predators?

Or having decades but depending upon ready made small groups of soldiers who can't even speak to each other when they have total control along with time and could have trained their own mass army

• Love 2
On 13-7-2018 at 2:01 PM, Haleth said:

I thought they didn't speak the same language.  The man was speaking a Chinese language? and the woman was speaking Russian? maybe?  But they did know to identify each other by tattoo and then used hand signals to communicate. 

Oh, I guess that makes sense. The sound wasn't terribly good, so I couldn't really recognize the language(s). Guess it's a good thing all military forces around the world use the exact same hand signals for the exact same things then...

On 13-7-2018 at 8:20 PM, Dowel Jones said:

On 14-7-2018 at 1:47 AM, Raja said:

Or having decades but depending upon ready made small groups of soldiers who can't even speak to each other when they have total control along with time and could have trained their own mass army

If it really is the enemy, then I doubt it's on Earth. Most likely a planet where they've captured one of the enemy and are holding them for these experiments. Otherwise they'd run the risk of it getting free (what with no one being able to see them and them apparently being immune to IR or too fast or whatever) and ruining all the hosts' plans for Earth.

I don't even know or care why they're fighting.  One "species" is an invisible alien and the other a machine? Makes no real sense, to be honest. Also, I'm gonna assume the hosts have more than just Earth under their control and are therefore experienced in taking over a planet. As to why they need biologically enhanced soldiers to fight their war, I have no idea. Makes no sense. Unless the hosts are incapable of physically fighting and/or even detecting the enemy, but that doesn't make sense considering the tech we've seen so far.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Efzee said:

As to why they need biologically enhanced soldiers to fight their war, I have no idea. Makes no sense.

I have to agree with this. I just hope there's a plausible explanation given eventually.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Efzee said:

Oh, I guess that makes sense. The sound wasn't terribly good, so I couldn't really recognize the language(s). Guess it's a good thing all military forces around the world use the exact same hand signals for the exact same things then...

If it really is the enemy, then I doubt it's on Earth. Most likely a planet where they've captured one of the enemy and are holding them for these experiments. Otherwise they'd run the risk of it getting free (what with no one being able to see them and them apparently being immune to IR or too fast or whatever) and ruining all the hosts' plans for Earth.

I don't even know or care why they're fighting.  One "species" is an invisible alien and the other a machine? Makes no real sense, to be honest. Also, I'm gonna assume the hosts have more than just Earth under their control and are therefore experienced in taking over a planet. As to why they need biologically enhanced soldiers to fight their war, I have no idea. Makes no sense. Unless the hosts are incapable of physically fighting and/or even detecting the enemy, but that doesn't make sense considering the tech we've seen so far.

I actually think the thing in the woods was what they actually are turning the outliers into. The other guys were the test not what was being tested.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

I actually think the thing in the woods was what they actually are turning the outliers into. The other guys were the test not what was being tested.

So the tattooed folks were fodder, not outliers?  Seems like a bit of a stretch, especially with them clearly having military training.

The pods came from the spaceship, right?  They are filled with subjects like the guy who was running all over the spaceship last (?) week.  I thought the first pod guy was speaking Korean and the woman was speaking some Slavic language.  There were no subtitles on my TV.  I figured they were dropped down in some alien rainforest proving ground where they were told to fight an enemy...that they found out they couldn't see.  Although the woman seemed to see a white mist through the scope on her helmet, she didn't see it again when she lifted the scope to put the rifle to her shoulder. 

This has become a very interesting show!  I am glad I stuck with it, though I am hazy on the global implications of two alien races battling it out on or for Earth...why don't they use super-duper alien technology instead of relying on a few thousand best-and-brightest humans.  Even the best trained are killed fairly easily!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Efzee said:

So the tattooed folks were fodder, not outliers?  Seems like a bit of a stretch, especially with them clearly having military training.

Its likely not every person flagged by the algorithm can survive the process. Human biology being as varied as it is some probably would have a genetic variation or biological quirk that makes them unsuitable for whatever process the outliers endure. Or it  may be these two were on the lower end of end of expectations for outliers (weaker or slower than most or something like that) so were veiwed as easy canon fodder.

• Love 1

Since we know the hosts are machines with some form of mobile 'consciousness', and the beings in the forest appeared biological, I'm wondering if maybe the hosts were some form of Artificial Intelligence for the biological beings.  Maybe they became aware that the biological beings (if that's what they really are) plan on laying waste to other forms of life and calculated that that would be bad overall, somehow???  So they put that info into the forms of consciousness that are inside the machines and sent them off to prepare for the fight, probably stealing a lot of the bio-beings technology and resources in the process (or gained access to other civilizations' technologies), and the bio-beings have caught up to them in our corner of the galaxy.  Without the ability to manufacture any more weapons quickly enough they had to use what was available, other biological beings.  So Earth it is.  It sort of also explains why there seems to be little regard for what the hosts are putting humans through in the process.  For them it would be a calculation of greater good, cut and dried.  

I know it's just one of many scenarios, and this will probably all be out the window after next episode.  Lol 

12 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

Its likely not every person flagged by the algorithm can survive the process. Human biology being as varied as it is some probably would have a genetic variation or biological quirk that makes them unsuitable for whatever process the outliers endure. Or it  may be these two were on the lower end of end of expectations for outliers (weaker or slower than most or something like that) so were veiwed as easy canon fodder.

They could also not be outliers at all, but experiments on making average humans stronger.  Could be what happened to most of the population. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, eskimo said:

Since we know the hosts are machines with some form of mobile 'consciousness', and the beings in the forest appeared biological, I'm wondering if maybe the hosts were some form of Artificial Intelligence for the biological beings.  Maybe they became aware that the biological beings (if that's what they really are) plan on laying waste to other forms of life and calculated that that would be bad overall, somehow???  So they put that info into the forms of consciousness that are inside the machines and sent them off to prepare for the fight, probably stealing a lot of the bio-beings technology and resources in the process (or gained access to other civilizations' technologies), and the bio-beings have caught up to them in our corner of the galaxy.  Without the ability to manufacture any more weapons quickly enough they had to use what was available, other biological beings.  So Earth it is.  It sort of also explains why there seems to be little regard for what the hosts are putting humans through in the process.  For them it would be a calculation of greater good, cut and dried.  

I know it's just one of many scenarios, and this will probably all be out the window after next episode.  Lol 

That's possible, I suppose. However, I think TPTB are going with the hosts being a highly advanced* species that have evolved beyond their physical bodies and downloaded their consciousness into those orb thingies and build themselves mechanical bodies or something.

*That for some reason need humans to fight their battles...

• Love 1