Type keyword(s) to search

Becky Conner-Healy/Lecy Goranson: Most Days I Don't Recognize Me

• Start Topic

I really, really hope they keep Becky unable to have kids. I never see characters go through this journey without ending up with a kid, whether it be through getting pregnant or adoption. Sometimes neither of those things happen, so let's try that writers.

• Love 9
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, RocknRollZombie said:

If the writers decide to keep Becky childless I'll be happy because not everything happens by some miracle

Having characters have a baby during the run of the show usually is ultimately a failure.  The writers come up with all sorts of stories revolving around the pregnancy (apparently pregnancy is funny, actual babies not so much), but once the baby's born they don't know what to do with it (on Lucy she went to Europe, leaving the baby in N.Y. and then went to Hollywood and ditto).

• Love 2

With only 10 episodes, Becky getting pregnant could drive a lot of story that isn't based completely on economic despair.  She and Jackie could bond, Darlene could offer lots of unsolicited advise, there is pregnancy discrimination in the workplace... and naturally this would be one place you would really miss your mother (if they do kill off RC). 

Still, I understand why some viewers might prefer a childless Becky. It's a realistic outcome.  And I kind of like boozy, sarcastic Becky.   

• Love 8

Becky's self-admitted boozer trailer trash tramp character is really the only reason I'm still watching. Her lines are the only thing that make me laugh.

Also what deal did she make with the devil to be 42 years old and still look no more than 27?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I just Becky to be happy now. She so damm broken on the inside with all the things that happened to her. And finding out that she seeks validation from men gives us a more in depth look at the inner workings of her mind of the lasting effects of her grief. Just give her a break ...that baby better be okay.

So weird to me because young Becky was never this way. Sure, compared to loner Darlene she had some conventional goals of popularity but boys always liked her and she never needed that type of validation. Of course a lot has changed since then. Can you imagine if young Becky got into a time machine and met her future self? She would be devastated.

• Love 10

I agree that young Becky enjoyed school and her friends every bit as much as she enjoyed boys, so did not seek that type of validation.  But the Becky Mark widowed was in a very different place in life than the Becky who was on student council, hanging at the mall with her friends, and planning to go to college, or even the Becky who was married and planning a different future.  She no longer had much in her life to be proud of or take comfort in, so falling into the trap of finding validation in being attractive to men is sad, but not weird, to me.  The life Becky has led in the time between when we saw her last and met up with her again lets me go with it in terms of characterization (for the most part).  At least she's not clinging to any of them, trying to make the relationships into something more than they are, or putting up with being treated poorly by them.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

She was loved by Mark who I think it was mentioned by her in the first episode that he was introduced in. That he treated her better than any other guy before him.

I don't think she ever said he treated her better than any other guy (Roseanne and Jackie talked about being treated like crap by boyfriends, but Becky had normal date and break-up experiences).  She just said - in the episode where Roseanne and Dan told her she couldn't see him anymore - that he was the greatest guy she ever dated.  And, of course, he wound up being her first love, and then her husband.

• Love 7

Becky really is my favorite character on the show. She always was (well, Lecy's Becky anyway; once she was gone/Sarah was there, I had to look elsewhere), but this season confirmed why that is for me in spades. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5
On 12/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

Roseanne was persona non gratis in Hollywood even at that point. Goodman and Metcalf had successful careers acting in other people's production and Lecy and Fishman hadn't worked in "the business" for decades.

This was posted quite awhile ago, but I had to respond to this in particular, because in Lecy's case this isn't true at all. She may not have had a regular role on a weekly series again until this show was brought back, but she had several roles over the years in movies (most notably, a supporting role in Boys Don't Cry), guest appearances on TV (one of her more memorable ones being in the final episode of Sex and the City), and stage work. Yes, there was a period after she left the original show in season 5 where she was at college (and there may have been a few lulls in her acting career later on), but for the most part  she has had an active career in "the business" before ultimately returning for this show. She may not have had giant starring roles in huge productions, but she definitely kept working. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

Yes, Goranson was very much a typical working actor in NY - short films, stage performances, the occasional guest shot on a big show, all sometimes supplemented by non-acting gigs.  She didn't do much work in "Hollywood", no, but she was not out of "the business".

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Welp at least we know Becky technically is looking for someone stable, but more so just to have a father figure for little bev. 

I loved Dan telling her, "Let [Beverly Rose] get her own guy."

Given their close relationship and the pride he's always taken in upholding his responsibilities to his family, it's important for him to be the one telling her she doesn't have to saddle herself with a dud out of some perceived obligation to her child.  I hope this frees things up for Becky's storylines to be focused on running the Lunchbox, staying sober, and being a mom for a while, with dating something that comes later.

• Love 7
On 1/22/2020 at 2:30 PM, Bastet said:

I loved Dan telling her, "Let [Beverly Rose] get her own guy."

Given their close relationship and the pride he's always taken in upholding his responsibilities to his family, it's important for him to be the one telling her she doesn't have to saddle herself with a dud out of some perceived obligation to her child.  I hope this frees things up for Becky's storylines to be focused on running the Lunchbox, staying sober, and being a mom for a while, with dating something that comes later.

I love Dan to death and think he is the epitome of a good old school family man. However, he makes horrible financial decision and seem less stable now when compared to his younger days. 

He seems to still be living paycheck to paycheck and I think he still owes on two mortgages on his home after all these years. Dan took pride in taking care of his family but was always really simple minded when it came to finances

However, I do hope that you are right because Becky does need to work on herself. She still has great potential if she can tap into her old self.

• Love 5

From this week's episode thread:

13 hours ago, tribeca said:

Becky story could be about struggling being a working single mom.  Why is she so confused over her feelings for Beverlyrose dad (forget his name ).  Is she afraid to open her heart again after Mark?

His name is Emilio.

And she has made it very, VERY clear that their one night stand together was just that--a one night stand. One that produced a daughter that she chose to keep, but that's it. She doesn't want anything more from Emilio except his friendship, and she doesn't owe him anything more than that, either.

I'm sure she has had issues getting close to other men since losing Mark, but this isn't an example of that, IMO. She is simply not interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with Emilio...and that's her prerogative, she has every right to feel that way and expect for Emilio to accept that and move on with his life.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Lecy is nominated for the Critics Choice Award for best supporting actress in a comedy series (hers is the only nomination for The Conners).

About time. She should have been nominated for something, not an Emmy, probably, but something for Roseanne.

• Love 2
On 1/29/2021 at 2:02 PM, UYI said:

m sure she has had issues getting close to other men since losing Mark, but this isn't an example of that, IMO. She is simply not interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with Emilio...and that's her prerogative, she has every right to feel that way and expect for Emilio to accept that and move on with his life.

However, he IS Beverly Rose's father and she can't {shouldn't{  keep him from seeing his daughter {even if he's illegal.)

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

However, he IS Beverly Rose's father and she can't {shouldn't{  keep him from seeing his daughter {even if he's illegal.)

Oh, I completely agree about that. I just don't want them together. :)

On 2/11/2021 at 5:38 PM, Bastet said:

Lecy is nominated for the Critics Choice Award for best supporting actress in a comedy series (hers is the only nomination for The Conners).

She is SO long overdue for something like this. I'm still hoping that an Emmy nomination might be in the cards for her someday. 

• Love 3
On 9/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, Snow Apple said:

It's been mentioned that Lecy was doing a charity event. I'm not going to talk about her acting since we're all entitled to our opinions, but Lecy has done live theater so I don't think she'd have a problem with a live sitcom episode, especially since she'd be surrounded by the other cast members.

I agree that Lecy didn't suddenly get stage fright or cold feet.  Speaking of live theater, I remember when Carroll O'Connor passed away in 2001, Jean Stapleton, who was appearing on Broadway at the time, was not allowed to miss a performance to attend his funeral because the show must go on.  Ms. Stapleton could have been replaced by her understudy, but they said no.  Sorry, Archie - Edith Can't Make Funeral.

POSTED SAME TIME AS tessaray's post.  MODS please move my post.  Thanks.

Edited by CrystalBlue
Jean not Maureen.
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2021 at 12:32 AM, CrystalBlue said:

I agree that Lecy didn't suddenly get stage fright or cold feet.  Speaking of live theater, I remember when Carroll O'Connor passed away in 2001, Maureen Stapleton, who was appearing on Broadway at the time, was not allowed to miss a performance to attend his funeral because the show must go on.  Ms. Stapleton could have been replaced by her understudy, but they said no.  Sorry, Archie - Edith Can't Make Funeral.

POSTED SAME TIME AS tessaray's post.  MODS please move my post.  Thanks.

Off topic, I know, but JEAN Stapleton. ;)

And yeah, Lecy has done PLENTY of live theater, plus the live episode two seasons ago, so that wasn't it.

At least Becky was back last night, and back in school, too. :) 

• Love 2

Yeah cuz Becky’s character which most loved when it was pointed out that mark ruined her life which was bs girl had years between his death and till now to get her shit together (I will forever be pissed about  that) totally needs a guy to strengthen her final character arc hello what about oh I don’t know her finally getting her degree. what was the the whole point of the stupid rehab  episode then. EB8EA71F-2EB2-49AC-B39B-B7BB3279C437.thumb.jpeg.e3d7ffa34b25565329f1329190fd323c.jpeg

on the one hand i want becky to have a nice man, on the other hand, that should not be her definition of success. a degree and career are more important.

They were nice together, so if he made a few more appearances and they were dating, with long-term potential, I wouldn't take issue with that, but if he appeared repeatedly as a major storyline and getting into a serious relationship with him was her "happy ending" just one season later, I'd be pissed.  Whenever this show ends, Becky's big triumph should be education/career related.  Her whole arc has been about rediscovering that part of her old self.  It's different, of course, because she's older and has a child, but she can still achieve the success she always wanted and feel good about herself again. 

• Like 3
(edited)
18 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Yeah cuz Becky’s character which most loved when it was pointed out that mark ruined her life which was bs girl had years between his death and till now to get her shit together (I will forever be pissed about  that) totally needs a guy to strengthen her final character arc hello what about oh I don’t know her finally getting her degree. what was the the whole point of the stupid rehab  episode then. EB8EA71F-2EB2-49AC-B39B-B7BB3279C437.thumb.jpeg.e3d7ffa34b25565329f1329190fd323c.jpeg

I agree 100%. Why does Becky need a man in her life to find strength as a character? Becky was already a strong character of how hardworking she was both in school and at work. She was responsible, took care of chores around the house, and looked after her siblings when her parents had to work or they went out. 

Becky also never allowed the men in her life to define or make her decisions for her. The choices she made, were just that, they were hers. Mark never manipulated her or selfishly convinced her to give her college money to anyone. She chose to do it.

Like Mark said to Roseanne, "Becky doesn't do anything she doesn't want to." And it's true she didn't. 

The Conners version of Becky is nothing like her original counterpart. She lacks direction and is always looking for someone to blame for her failures. This version of Becky is also deeply insecure, always making snide comments about Darlene or the other family members. 

Edited by Im a 90s kid
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1