Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Adventure of Ersatz Sobekneferu 2018.07.02

(edited)
3 hours ago, basil said:

the murderer who gave himself away at the sword school and then just confessed EVERYTHING before asking for an attorney . . . that was dumb

Dumb, sure, but real life. It happens ALL. THE. TIME. Damn, if tv teaches you nothing else, it's "SAY NOTHING UNTIL YOU SPEAK TO YOUR LAWYER". You have nothing to gain by speaking, and everything to lose. The promise of "we'll put a good word in for you" is utterly valueless

3 hours ago, basil said:

Thing is, that's so true to life. Criminals are, by and large, stupid people.

and from the captioning:

[Ninja perp] I want to cut a deal.

[Bell?] That was fast.

[Ninja perp] That's how it works, right? When you kill someone for money? You roll on whoever hired you, and the police take it easy on you. 

…[ninja perp reveals bunch of murders with details]…So, we got a deal? Do I need to sign something? Show it to a lawyer? Hey, I should probably have a lawyer, right?

I'm okay with the perp having refreshingly realistic stupid lines, but maybe we needed a few more exchanged eye roll-type glances from the team to cue the audience to the ninja dude's lack of social-emotional intelligence—a bit more set up for the reveal of his being a serial killer devoid of empathy.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

One small moment I really loved was when Morland thanked Sherlock for coming with him to the lawyers and saying Sherlock can go back to his day. Sherlock, having seen the stalker, says he'll wait with Morland until the car gets there. John Noble's expression as Morland is pleased and sheepish at the same time. It's subtle, but you get a real sense of how he wants to be closer to his son and how he feels touched that Sherlock wants to stay close to him. Very good work by Noble.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, basil said:

the murderer who gave himself away at the sword school and then just confessed EVERYTHING before asking for an attorney . . . that was dumb

Dumb, sure, but real life. It happens ALL. THE. TIME. Damn, if tv teaches you nothing else, it's "SAY NOTHING UNTIL YOU SPEAK TO YOUR LAWYER". You have nothing to gain by speaking, and everything to lose. The promise of "we'll put a good word in for you" is utterly valueless. 

Having once served on a Grand Jury, I agree. I was astonished how many confessed pretty much right away - before they even got to the station. Crooks are stupid - when they're smart, they're CEOs and politicians.

• Love 7

I always check wornontv.net to get more info on Joan's clothes. I wish they would stop with the ties and pseudo-ties, though. I like her in blouses, dresses, and some architectural shirts.  I wish the website would also give info on her shoes, which are to die for, and I'm sure cost a boatload of money.

• Love 4
On 7/4/2018 at 3:54 PM, MissLucas said:

I loved the little discussion about Clyde's future - shout-out to the audience AND a great character moment for father and son.

It was a good moment.  And a realistic concern.  I have a friend who has a tortoise and another who has a cockatoo, and they face the same concern about who to entrust with the animals in the future.

I enjoyed seeing Jon Noble as Morland again.  The actors and writers have created a really interesting relationship between Morland and Sherlock.

• Love 4

Sweet, sweet Clyde has returned to us! Its also good to hear that Sherlock is planning for Clyde's future. Sherlock might leave sword boxes lying around, but he does take pet ownership seriously. 

Nice seeing Moreland again, and his relationship with Sherlock is in an interesting place. he plays everything so close to the chest, but I do think he wants to be closer to his remaining son, and Sherlock really does still love his dad and wants to make peace with him. 

Hi Julian Sands! Still looking great, even with that awful haircut. 

• Love 2

Sherlock and Marcus said that the use of such a weapon would need a lot of skill since it's rather archaic and specialized. They also knew that the person would be a certain height. Marcus noticed the instructor when the was interviewing the owner of the fencing school.  

I got how he pinpointed the guy once they were there . . . I just didn't know what led them to go there in the first place. Even assuming there is only one fencing school in all of NYC, it's awfully convenient the hired killer a.) just happened to be an instructor or student there and b.) was there when Marcus and Sherlock showed up. 

24 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I got how he pinpointed the guy once they were there . . . I just didn't know what led them to go there in the first place. Even assuming there is only one fencing school in all of NYC, it's awfully convenient the hired killer a.) just happened to be an instructor or student there and b.) was there when Marcus and Sherlock showed up. 

Figure we didn't see the parts where Marcus and Sherlock went to different schools, struck out and then finally decided to go to the last one.  We just saw the bit that had a result.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I thought the dialogue said that a sword of that type had been delivered to that address the week before.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rainsmom said:

I thought the dialogue said that a sword of that type had been delivered to that address the week before.

Yes, I rewatched last night and Bell said there was a record of the sword being delivered there.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, rainsmom said:
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

20 hours ago, roseha said:

Yes, I rewatched last night and Bell said there was a record of the sword being delivered there.

--which is why it will be fun (for me) to watch reruns of this show in syndication--so I can catch how it all fits together.

So much excitement at seeing Clyde, who was onscreen for all of 20 seconds. lol Maybe he'll help with the next case, now that he's made his comeback. 

• Love 2
On 7/3/2018 at 1:38 PM, iMonrey said:

For some reason I didn't find this week's mystery particularly engaging, even with a well known guest actor. But I did like the personal stuff with Sherlock, Joan and Morland. And Clyde!

Can someone remind me where we left off with Moriarty? I can't remember the last time we saw her or what happened to her. I think I assumed she was dead.

I haven't liked the crimes-of-the-week for some time now. I loved Sherlock's bizarre methods of picking up clues at the start of the series. Lying still on the floor of the crime scene seemingly deducing something; licking the floor; scaling a rock wall; staring at an obscure area of the room no one would think to look at. Now he (mostly) lazily picks up clues like any other detective. The thing that has kept me watching is the personal interactions. Joan's exasperated looks and deadpan snark at Sherlock's shenanigans is always a win.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:04 PM, johntfs said:

I loved the bit with the eager-to-cut-a-deal murderer.  Plenty of shows would have cast that Asian actor and played to the strong, silent inscrutable "ninja" concept.  Here, nope.  He's selfish and kind of gloriously stupid.  Plus Bell's "We've all seen Raiders of the Lost Ark.  It doesn't go well for the guy with the sword."

That's exactly what I thought was going to happen in the interrogation room. I didn't expect that turn of events. Hilarious. 

On 7/11/2018 at 3:02 AM, ferjy said:

I loved Sherlock's bizarre methods of picking up clues at the start of the series. Lying still on the floor of the crime scene seemingly deducing something; licking the floor; scaling a rock wall; staring at an obscure area of the room no one would think to look at. Now he (mostly) lazily picks up clues like any other detective.

Something liked that happened with Law and Order Criminal Intent, on which, early on, Bobby Goren would come up with the most obscure observations and deductions, which some viewers for some reason seemed to resent.  Later on this was de-emphasized for some reason, though they tried to bring it back in the final season.  Some shows' writers seem to feel the audience doesn't like heroes who as so much smarter than them.  I don't agree, but there you are.  I do agree that the personal relationship between the characters is great, particularly Sherlock and Joan.

• Love 2
On 7/12/2018 at 11:41 PM, roseha said:

Something liked that happened with Law and Order Criminal Intent, on which, early on, Bobby Goren would come up with the most obscure observations and deductions, which some viewers for some reason seemed to resent...

image.png.b89def7383f6c6d207fe3075c7960929.png

• Love 1

I've never watched L&O:CI, but my brother's a big fan. He told me about an episode where they see ancient writing and Goren identifies it as ancient Sumerian (is there any other kind? but I digress). Everyone looks at him and he says that he can't read Sumerian. So, apparently there were limits to his knowledge as well. 

I do want to see more of Sherlock's incredible knowledge of the arcane, and his enhanced senses of smell, sight, hearing, taste, and touch. Add to that the looks everyone gives him when he demonstrates his abilities. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I've never watched L&O:CI, but my brother's a big fan. He told me about an episode where they see ancient writing and Goren identifies it as ancient Sumerian (is there any other kind? but I digress). Everyone looks at him and he says that he can't read Sumerian. So, apparently there were limits to his knowledge as well. 

I do want to see more of Sherlock's incredible knowledge of the arcane, and his enhanced senses of smell, sight, hearing, taste, and touch. Add to that the looks everyone gives him when he demonstrates his abilities. 

Even Barney Miller had resident know-it-all cop, Arthur Dietrich. ACD's Sherlock and all of his fictional descendants were kind of precursors to tech geeks of the late 20th century until this day.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Even Barney Miller had resident know-it-all cop, Arthur Dietrich. ACD's Sherlock and all of his fictional descendants were kind of precursors to tech geeks of the late 20th century until this day.

Great connection Shapeshifter, I also loved Arthur Dietrich!

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, roseha said:

Great connection Shapeshifter, I also loved Arthur Dietrich!

My one celebrity claim to fame (overstating) is that I was six feet from Steven Landesberg at JFK, waiting for the same plane (not the VIP lounge). I wasn't sure it was him until I saw him from my seat - he was in the distance in first class - and his face was as small as it was on tv, so then I was "yep, that's him."

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2