Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

So they were going to take photos of Iris pregnant with Nora at some point. 

No. Like @Trini's post above, I think they took pictures, which they showed at the end of the finale--when Barry and Iris were looking through the book that was left behind, you saw pictures. I think one of them was with a pregnant Iris.

(edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. Like @Trini's post above, I think they took pictures, which they showed at the end of the finale--when Barry and Iris were looking through the book that was left behind, you saw pictures. I think one of them was with a pregnant Iris.

Except the pregnant Iris photo didn't make the episode cut. 😕

------

Islie Hirvonen (young Grace) posted some BTS photos from over the season on her Instagram (this is just one, she a dozen more):

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Helbing interview at Comicbook.com:

What went into the decision to switch big bads halfway through?

It's always one of those things. We know in 22, 23 episodes, how boring one villain can be, and I think one of the things -- that being an audience member myself on other shows -- you forget that there's a whole other process which is actor's availability, contracts. We had a different version in the back half which sort of had, it was going to be more of thirds.

You're always sort of at the mercy of what you can do with whoever you cast and their availability, which we've been lucky; for the most part it works. But sometimes it doesn't, and you have to change. Having Thawne ultimately be revealed and Cicada II, we wanted to sort of keep the energy up the whole season and not have a lot of down episodes that felt like filler. It's always something to do but in 22 episodes it's a little more tricky than it would appear even.

Eh - I don't know how well that plan worked. The change to a new Cicada was a promising one, but there was still the same problem of Cicada escaping after every confrontation until the finale.

But is he basically saying it's difficult to get a guest star to commit for the 9-10 months of filming? I can understand that. But I still don't think it excuses how the Cicada storyline played out. Plus, Cavanagh (who they love) is right there - Thawne could have had a bigger role this season.

Crossover info from TVLine:

The CW president Mark Pedowitz announced on Thursday at the network’s Upfront presentation that the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” team-up event will be told in five parts over two quarters — meaning, it will start in December and then conclude early in the new year, following the midseason break.

TVLine has since confirmed with sources that the five shows taking part in the crossover will be Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Batwoman (which premieres this fall) and Legends. Three of the five parts will air in December, and the other two — including an episode of Legends, which this year premieres at midseason — will follow in early 2020. (It is unclear at this time what the second show airing its crossover episode in the new year will be.)

https://tvline.com/2019/05/16/arrowverses-crisis-on-infinite-earths-crossover-schedule-legends/

The crossovers are always anchored by The Flash so it sounds like there will be cliffhanger with Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow having the final two episodes in the 2020. 

I just roll my eyes at the CW's bullshit "inclusive" campaign.

A few more Helbing quotes from Comicbook.com that weren't posted before:

But, some fans asked, how old is [Nora]? Now that the events of "Crisis on Infinite Earths" have been moved up from 2024 to late 2019, will Nora even still be born? Those are good questions, hypothetical fans, and The Flash showrunner Todd Helbing assured us during an interview this week that he and the writers have also considered the question. In fact, they shot a scene to explain the time-travel mechanics of it... although that is not a scene that fans will get to see today, so maybe start saving your pennies for the Blu-ray edition with deleted scenes and a Comic-Con panel.

"It's funny -- we actually shot a scene that explained all of that, but we cut it ultimately from the episode," Helbing told ComicBook.com. "I'm sure it'll still show up at some point in the future, but you don't really need it in this episode anymore to understand exactly how that works. I don't want to reveal too much of that. But that question is going to get answered. Look, time travel stuff, for every answer you give there's a hundred more questions, but we try to answer as many as we can. I think big ones we certainly do this year."

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/14/the-flash-filmed-a-scene-answering-a-long-running-fan-question-b/

"There's small Easter eggs, there's big Easter eggs. When we were in season three, Savitar was talking about DeVoe being one of his biggest foes," Helbing told ComicBook.com. "We like to leave it up to the fans to try to figure out which its going to be. Who's maybe a big bad the next season, who's just a name drop. Godspeed sort of fell into the best of both worlds. We can have an episode with him, introduce him and then bring him back at some point in the future because he's a major comics villain so we would never want to do a guy like that in just one episode."

"Red Death is pretty big. I think you can tell the bigger characters when we talk about them that we don't do that just as a one off little Easter egg. We give them a little bit more like, 'Oh, man. These people might be coming in the future,'" Helbing said, acknowledging that "it's a tricky thing with DC. We always need to talk to them in planning. There's so many facets to it. There are always ways that we can try to make things work. That one's particularly tricky but I would say never say never."

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/14/the-flashs-todd-helbing-says-never-say-never-to-the-red-death/

Just remember that Helbing isn't showrunner any more. I'd love to hear what Wallace has planned for the next season. I hope he comes to SD Comic Con.

One more:

... In the pilot, fans got to see a newspaper from the future that said that The Flash would die in a "Crisis," with another headline alluding to red skies. Fans of the comics immediately knew these as references to Crisis on Infinite Earths, the '80s crossover mega-event ...

"When I first read the pilot, and then I saw the pilot, I always assumed that that fight would be the series finale," Helbing admitted. "So yeah, I like it a lot, moving it up. Look, there are so many things we can do after that. I think it's a nice way to get to that sooner than later, and it has changed my view of the show. I think it actually sort of is going to inject a new sense of energy into the show, which in a season-six show you always want. I think the timing is perfect."

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/14/the-flash-showrunner-talks-crisis-on-infinite-earths/

Interview with Hartley Sawyer at Hollywood Life (excerpts):

What’s it been like for you to join this show and have such an amazing response from The Flash fans. They’re so passionate and so loving towards the cast. What’s it been like for you to sort of really jump into that?

Hartley Sawyer: You know, I didn’t think about it at the time when I started, but in hindsight, it was a little intimidating. I was aware that this was a mega-successful show that had a tremendous and passionate fan base. It was this whole big world and my goal was to do my thing but make it fit into that whole world. I feel like that all turned out well and my interactions with the fans have all been really, really great. They love this show and one of my favorite things is the family aspect of things on the show. I meet a lot of families where this is what they do together on Tuesday nights. They watch the show. The kids, the mom, the dad, and they all do it together. I feel like it’s a very special thing.

I feel like that’s rare these days. There’s so much content, too, and to have that sort of community is really special.

Hartley Sawyer: I agree. It’s rare these days that people gather around the TV set to watch something that I think by and large has a positive message and kind of encourages people to follow what they’re good at. The nerds are always saving the world on The Flash. That’s one of the things I love about it.

Is there anything you would want to dive into in season 6 and beyond? Is there anything that you want to see with him besides romance?

Hartley Sawyer: Well, I think what I really like about the “romance” thing is that the idea of relationships can be a mirror held up to anybody and what does that bring up for him and what does that bring out in him. There’s some stuff in the comics with Sue and Ralph where they go really, really deep into that and I don’t know when exactly we’re going to see and if we’re going to see Sue, but in terms of him getting out there and dating and falling for somebody, I would love to see how he takes that on. Maybe he gets his heart broken. Maybe he gets disappointed. How would he deal with that is something that’s really exciting and interesting to me. Now that he has more confidence because the family support of Team Flash has given him this confidence to kind of mature and grow into who he was always going to be.

Cool. I had noticed Jim Lee, Nafessa, and Candice were all in UAE at the same time, so I was wondering if there was a DC/WB event they were promoting.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Cool. I had noticed Jim Lee, Nafessa, and Candice were all in UAE at the same time, so I was wondering if there was a DC/WB event they were promoting.

It's all for the same thing. They're meeting troops in the Middle East.

Writer Zack Stentz talked a little bit about working on The Flash (he wrote season 2's "Runaway Dinosaur") on Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin's Fatman Beyond podcast (Flash mention starts at 1:00:33):

Zack also mentioned Smith's impact on the cast + crew at 1:37:18.

He also answered a fan question on Twitter:

• Love 4

We don't have a social media thread so I thought I would just put it here that Candice has been posting photos on Instagram from her visit to Adu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. It looks like she is having fun.

• Love 4

More about the USO tour from THR:

The result was a multi-day tour of five military bases — Camp Buehring, Camp Arifjan, Ali Al Salem, Camp Patriot and Ahmad Al Jaber — with Lee joining Batman comic book writer Tom King, and actors Nafessa Williams (Black Lighting), Candice Patton and Danielle Panabaker (The Flash), in meeting servicemen and women, accompanied by the Tumbler from Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies, and a sneak preview of the new DC/Epix series Pennyworth. During the tour, the team took part in meet and greets, trivia contests, signings and panel discussions, as well as art masterclasses from Lee and King sharing his experience as a former CIA counterterrorism officer.

In a statement, Candice Patton added, "It was really eye opening to be in Kuwait and see how big of a reach The Flash has. It really warms my heart to know that so many service members enjoy our show and use it as a means of escape. They sacrifice so much for us and whatever joy we can bring to them is truly an honor."

I'm really glad Candice got to be a part of this, and I hope she makes connections for future projects!

• Love 3

Article about the visual effects in the DC shows: http://vfxvoice.com/crossing-the-sprawling-dc-television-universe/

The Flash -related excerpts:

... Berlanti has been assisted by the expertise of Encore VFX Executive Creative Director and Visual Effects Supervisor Armen V. Kevorkian.

“As far as my role goes, I’m heavily involved with Flash, Supergirl, Titans and Doom Patrol,” explains Kevorkian.

“... for Flash, Central City is more like Vancouver.”

“A lot of the team have been with me since Flash started five years ago,” states Kevorkian. “For the most part they get to work on all of the shows. We definitely have 2D and 3D supervisors who are specific to a show, but our compositors may be working on Flash this week and next week help on Doom Patrol or Supergirl. It’s spread out to the point where no one gets bored working on one show.”

Stepping behind the camera is not uncommon for Kevorkian, who has served as both second unit director and director on The Flash and Supergirl. “Season 2 of Flash was the first time that I directed an episode, which happens to be a favorite of mine. It was a great script and had some cool visuals that you could show off. Then I started doing Supergirl and Flash regularly.”

There are a few before and after photos too.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:24 AM, Trini said:

I'm really glad Candice got to be a part of this, and I hope she makes connections for future projects!

I was thinking the same thing. Candice is spending a lot of time with Jim Lee on this trip. The latest video on her Instagram shows them both wearing the sleeve and doing protection work with a military dog. The dog's bite pierced the sleeve and they both got minor wounds. I hope this opens doors for her when The Flash is over.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I was thinking the same thing. Candice is spending a lot of time with Jim Lee on this trip. The latest video on her Instagram shows them both wearing the sleeve and doing protection work with a military dog. The dog's bite pierced the sleeve and they both got minor wounds. I hope this opens doors for her when The Flash is over.

I was thinking more about her hanging out with Tom King, who is working with Ava DuVernay right now, but both are good!

both GIF

• Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, Trini said:

I was thinking more about her hanging out with Tom King, who is working with Ava DuVernay right now, but both are good!

I was focused on Jim Lee because he has so much power and is charge of DC media platforms.  If he likes Candice and advocates on her behalf, it would open lots of projects in difference mediums for her. I didn't know that Tom King was working with Ava, but that is very cool also.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Leanne's interview with Candice will be embargoed until July

To recall, Leanna had interviewed Candice 2 weeks ago.

I'm curious with what Candice answers in the interview. When Leanna asked for questions at the time, I assumed Candice wouldn't have much to say about the upcoming season. The reason being I assumed the writers room wasn't open yet. I thought Candice wouldn't know what Iris will be doing for season 6.

• Useful 1

Because of the upcoming crossover, I think that the actors know a lot more about their characters' arcs for season six. I also think that the CW DCTV writers are already at work. The word in online DCTV fandom is that Supergirl is starting production and filming early, in July so maybe the other shows will do the same.  

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Because of the upcoming crossover, I think that the actors know a lot more about their characters' arcs for season six. I also think that the CW DCTV writers are already at work. The word in online DCTV fandom is that Supergirl is starting production and filming early, in July so maybe the other shows will do the same.  

Thank you for the insight.

They have always started production in early July. I think it's to have some type of material for comic con which is the following week or two after filming starts.

• Love 2

Short interview with Hartley Sawyer at TV Insider; *spoiler* about a character coming next season.

---

Jessica Parker Kennedy's panel at All-Star Comic Con last week; mainly audience Q&A:

This is from the upfronts in May, but it wasn't posted; the CW summary for The Flash:

Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) lived a normal life as a perpetually tardy C.S.I. in the Central City Police Department. Barry's life changed forever when the S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator exploded, creating a dark-matter lightning storm that struck Barry, bestowing him with super-speed and making him the fastest man alive - The Flash.

After thinking he and his wife Iris West-Allen (Candice Patton) could finally enjoy being newlyweds, they discover their future daughter Nora West-Allen (Jessica Parker Kennedy), who is a speedster known as XS, travelled back in time to heroically fight by her father's side and stop the one villain The Flash is destined to never defeat, the meta-serial killer Cicada (Chris Klein).

The Flash and XS rely on the help of Team Flash, which includes super heroes Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker), Cisco Ramon (Carlos Valdes), Ralph Dibny (Hartley Sawyer), master-detective Sherloque Wells (Tom Cavanagh) and The Flash's adoptive father Joe West (Jesse L. Martin) and his girlfriend Cecile Horton (Danielle Nicolet) to finally stop Cicada, save The Flash's legacy, and discover the truth about the evil mastermind who's pulling manipulative strings through time.

Based on the characters from DC, THE FLASH is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti ("Arrow," "Supergirl," "Riverdale"), Eric Wallace ("Teen Wolf") and Sarah Schechter ("Arrow," "Supergirl," "Riverdale").

I was hoping there would be some clues to next season's story, but, nope. (Man, I really want Cecile and Joe to get married so she's not just 'Joe's girlfriend'. /pet peeve)

1 hour ago, Trini said:

This is from the upfronts in May, but it wasn't posted; the CW summary for The Flash:

I was hoping there would be some clues to next season's story, but, nope. (Man, I really want Cecile and Joe to get married so she's not just 'Joe's girlfriend'. /pet peeve)

That's the synopsis for this past season. The Flash official synopsis won't get updated until later on. I don't know why though

(edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 5:00 PM, BeautifulFlower said:

That's the synopsis for this past season. The Flash official synopsis won't get updated until later on. I don't know why though

Yeah, I know. But sometimes they put in a line that previews the next season, or updates info for characters. Even if it doesn't give new info, I find it interesting how the PR dept. chooses how to phrase certain things. [ETA: For example, how it ranks the characters for the season: it discusses Barry/Flash first, then his immediate family, then mentions the main villain, then everyone else.]

Edited by Trini
10 hours ago, Trini said:

Yeah, I know. But sometimes they put in a line that previews the next season, or updates info for characters. Even if it doesn't give new info, I find it interesting how the PR dept. chooses how to phrase certain things.

I know that because they updated Charmed and Legends before their finale. Those synopsis spoiled the finale. I don't think they update The Flash at all. I'm trying to figure when do they usually do it for this show. Is it before comic con or after?

Flash-related part of this interview with Jessica Parker Kennedy:

You also went on quite a journey this season with The Flash. What have you most enjoyed about your time on that show, and what you got to do with that character, over the season? 

KENNEDY:  I think just being able to play a superhero is something that everyone wants to do. There are so many movies and TV shows out there, so I feel really lucky that I got to participate in that and wear a superhero costume. It’s the most popular show on The CW, so I felt really grateful being able to be on it. Everyone was just incredibly welcoming, on that show. I felt like a part of the family, really quickly. 

Did you have any idea what the full arc would ultimately be, or were there things that really surprised you about the journey that Nora West-Allen went on? 

KENNEDY:  I didn’t know the 100% specifics of the story, so I definitely was surprised, throughout the season. But I did know the general arc of what was going on with Thawne and my dad. So, I knew from the beginning where the story was going to go, but there were definitely details of the storyline that were a surprise.

Would you say that the character is gone for good? Is your time on the show done, or have you talked about the possibility that we could see her and you again, in some way? 

KENNEDY:  With comic book characters, anything could happen. She’s gone for now, but I think that there’s always a way to bring somebody back, on a show like that, and I definitely would be happy to do something like that. But yeah, as far as I know, she’s gone, for the moment.