Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

FlashTVNews.com got some quotes from Eric Wallace after a premiere screening:

A few non-spoiler excerpts:

http://flashtvnews.com/new-showrunner-eric-wallace-outlines-his-plan-for-the-flash-season-6/32839

“Usually, one of about two or three things happen in the sixth season of a hit show: snooze-ville, and it goes into cruise mode, and you know, no one really cares, but you kinda watch it because it’s habit. You make your beans while you watch it, you eat it, no big deal,” Wallace illustrated. “Or crash and burn! ‘Oh my! That used to be my favorite show, and I can’t stand it anymore!’ Or third, hopefully [laughs], what we’re going for this season, we’re not looking at this as Season 6 of a show. We’re looking at it as Season 1 of a show. I’m trying very hard, my staff’s trying very hard, the cast and crew, everybody, to reward all of the fans who’ve been watching for five years. And as a thank you, we’re going to try and not give them the exact same thing they’ve gotten for five years, not that it wasn’t great. We love it. I truly love it, because I was a fan of the show before I started working on it.”

“But as a reward, we’re trying some new things,” Wallace continued. “I don’t know if you guys heard at Comic-Con, this is the season of thrills and chills. … But that is kind of the goal. But it’s one of those things where we want to not just keep the joy and the spectacle and the tears. We want to expand upon it. This is the season opener, so there’s only so much you can do in one episode. But the new format of the show, which is graphic novel number one, which just began here…it’s a self-contained story,” he said, pointing to the Ramsey Rosso (Sendhil Ramamurthy) story that begins in the season premiere.

http://flashtvnews.com/the-flashs-eric-wallace-promises-journalist-iris-stories-in-season-6/32834

While the character of Iris West-Allen as played by Candice Patton has been a popular one among many Flash fans over the years, many fans have also agreed that her story as a journalist hasn’t always been well-served by the series. Thankfully for those fans, new showrunner Eric Wallace is right there with all of them, as it’s an issue he himself has been aware of.

“People are going to be ridiculously happy this year, because before I even got here, as a fan, I kept asking myself, ‘why is this woman a journalist? I don’t understand. She has no staff. She has no office. That’s a pretty crappy journalist, you know. Does she work out of her house? Okay. That’s kind of cool’,” Wallace recalled at a group Q&A hosted by The CW on Thursday. “But we know if from [Episode] 518, that she becomes a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, and that she has an empire, we need to start building those seeds [and] we need to do it now,” he continued.

http://flashtvnews.com/keiynan-lonsdales-kid-flash-will-likely-return-in-flash-season-6b/32837

... showrunner Eric Wallace confirmed at a recent Q&A that they are soon to contact Lonsdale about returning in the second half of The Flash Season 6 — and are hopeful that it will work out.

“If all goes well, we should be breaking his story the next couple of weeks,” Wallace said. “I’m trying my best to get Kid Flash in for a couple, ‘cause the story is so good....

• Love 3

And an interview with Wallace at Collider (so many *spoilers* here):

After a recent screening of the Season 6 premiere, held at the offices of The CW, showrunner Eric Wallace answered questions about the episode, what’s to come, how it all leads to the “Crisis on Infinite Earth” crossover, and where they go from there. During the chat, he talked about how Barry and Iris will be dealing with the knowledge that Barry will die and how that will differ from when Iris’ life was at stake, the parallel in storylines between Barry and Bloodwork (Sendhil Ramamurthy), the first villain of Season 6, getting to see much more of Iris’ work as a journalist, Cisco’s (Carlos Valdes) love life, Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) and Killer Frost’s agreement, expanding the meta storytelling, the latest Wells (Tom Cavanagh), the return of John Wesley Shipp and Keiynan Lonsdale, and the science of it all.

Will we be seeing more meta storylines that show different types of metas that aren’t criminals?

WALLACE: Yes. It goes back to honoring the old of the first five seasons, but finding new ways to make it fresh. You should just watch Episode 602. There are two new story devices to bring in cases. One is that they don’t have to be a bad guy, and the second one appears next week. It’s a new way to get stories in because it’s based in character. That’s part of the fun. Let’s see different kinds of stories. Just ‘cause this show is The Flash, it doesn’t mean another main character can’t take center stage for an entire episode. Look for that, ‘cause that’s happening. We have such a talented cast, so why aren’t we using them?

How do you approach the science of it all, on this show?

WALLACE: I’m a science nut. I used to write a comic for DC comics, called Mr. Terrific, which was super sciency, to the wazoo. And I used to work on Eureka, back in the day, which was a science-based, family comedy-drama. I got in a habit, way back in the Eureka days, of just reading Scientific American and Googling websites and NASA sites, on a regular basis, so science is my friend. I like to use the Stephen King rules of writing, where you come up with the crazy idea, and then find the facts to support it. We’ll write the science in the scripts, in a way that’s very complicated and very technical, and then, we’ll do what we call a simplicity pass to make sure everyone can understand the basic concepts. And then, we’ll do another pass for how much we really need to explain because it is a science-fiction and fantasy show, but we don’t have 800 pages. We have 42 minutes, and the scripts will get too long, if you bog them down with that type of stuff. It is a balancing act, but I do like to put as much real science into the stories as possible because there might be young people watching this and going, “I wanna be a scientist, like Caitlin. I wanna be a scientist like Cisco.” Suddenly, maybe there will be one more scientist in the world, and that would be really awesome. So, I take it very seriously, the messages that the show is presenting to our young people and to people of color.

Arrowverse Extravaganza: What To Expect From Batwoman, Supergirl, The Flash, and Arrow

"The new season picks up mere seconds after last year's finale. So Barry and Iris will have to deal with a new disaster, while also coping with memories of Nora's passing that are still very fresh, very raw. And as Season Six continues, this leads into an even larger dilemma for Barry. Because he'll also have the threat of the approaching Crisis (on Infinite Earths) looming over him while he attempts to take down this year's big villain, a dark foe who is his most terrifying adversary yet."

Nora's loss is felt hard in the premiere, especially by Iris, but there's still plenty of things going on for Team Flash to worry about...including another visit from the Monitor. 

• Love 2

From AV Club's "What's on Tonight" feature:

Top pick

The Flash (The CW, 8 p.m., sixth season premiere): Remember when The Flash was the fun one? To be fair to Barry and company, the Arrowverse as a whole seems to be gearing up for Crisis On Infinite Earths, which seems likely to bring a lot of death with it, so you can hardly blame the folks at S.T.A.R. Labs from feeling a little doom-ish, nor fault this trailer for conveying that mood.

And since Cisco is still here and a new Harrison Wells is arriving, there’s the promise of at least some levity. There is also the promise of Scott Von Doviak’s recap, always a good thing to have. And last but not least, there is the promise of the Crisis itself, which may not begin until December, but which promises loads of fun stunt casting and Brandon Routh in both Legends Of Tomorrow and Superman mode, so we can’t really complain.

Showrunner Eric Wallace Talks New Format

"Usually one of about two or three things happen in the sixth season of a hit show," Wallace said during a recent press screening of the season premiere. "[There's] snooze-ville, and it goes into cruise mode, and you know, no one really cares, but you kinda watch it because it's habit. You make your beans while you watch it, you eat it, no big deal. Or [there's the] crash and burn! 'Oh my! That used to be my favorite show, and I can't stand it anymore.'"

But then there's a third option, and it's what Wallace says the writers are going for. "We're not looking at this as Season 6 of a show," he explained. "We're looking at it as Season 1 of a show. I'm trying very hard, my staff's trying very hard, the cast and crew, everybody, to reward all of the fans who've been watching for five years."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SevenStars said:

I hope he means they are going into S6 with the enthusiasm and passion for the characters/show/storylines, not that he will ignore what has happened in the past seasons. 

From what I've read - he means he's changing the structure of the show and trying new character mixes.  I kinda think he's gonna get things out of Star Labs more and into other areas.  He's also going for a 2 part season with a villain in the first half and another in the second so things don't drag.  That youtube interview I hyped a page or so back has a lot of good gems in it.

I do expect some shakeups and surprises though - hopefully he's not gonna kill Westallen or anything crazy like that - but I will wait and see.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, adora721 said:

CW_TheFlash continues to be trite; they have a crimson circle that blocks half of Iris' face and all of Cisco's face. Whoever runs it should be fired.

flashcircle.png

Just trifling.

I really don't get why they are so awful.  

• Love 2

Quotes from Wallace about Chester Runk at TVLine; sounds like he'll be recurring:

“Chester P. Runk was one of my favorite characters from the late-’80s run of the Flash comics,” showrunner Eric Wallace tells TVLine. “I was a young, African-American comic book reader, always looking for my own face in the comic books, and here was a character who, even though he was presented as villainous at first, eventually becomes not only an ally but a friend of [Wally West’s] The Flash.

“He has these really wild, sci-fi powers that involve physics, but more importantly, he’s a scientist,” Wallace notes. TV’s The Flash thus set out to “present that kind of positive image for POC audience members to see up on the screen — not that we don’t already have some, but let’s add a new one!”

Also attractive to Wallace is the fact that Chester is a self-made inventor and not some well-funded genius. “I thought those were all important messages to send out, so people can see, ‘You don’t have to have a multi-million dollar facility to make a great contribution to the world.'”

Upon first seeing the dailies of actor Brandon McKnight’s “absolutely wonderful performance” as Chester, “the first thing I said was, ‘How quickly can we get this guy back?'” says Wallace. “We want to get to know him a little better and let him interact with Team Flash a second time, very soon.” After all, among other things, “He’s got to ask Natalie out, and I want to see that story,” says the EP. “Science people can find love, too.”

• Love 2
On 10/8/2019 at 7:06 PM, adora721 said:

CW_TheFlash continues to be trite; they have a crimson circle that blocks half of Iris' face and all of Cisco's face. Whoever runs it should be fired.

flashcircle.png

I know this account has been trash in the past, but it wasn't on purpose. This is how the poster is designed. 

49 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

I know this account has been trash in the past, but it wasn't on purpose. This is how the poster is designed. 

They didn't have to copy and past the poster, if it was going to be end-up like this. Some editing and reconfiguring would have made sure all the  characters could be seen. The person who handled this account just didn't care to put in the work. 

• Love 4

Candice Patton – The Flash

Yes, it was the leading lady of the Scarlet Speedster’s TV show that really won our hearts this week with her emotional performance in the season premiere as the grieving Iris West-Allen. Though Patton is always a force to be reckoned with on The Flash, her work in “Into The Void” was among the best she’s ever delivered, simply because of how emotive it was.

But it wasn’t just the emotional aspects for Patton who, through her rather reserved turn in the first half of the episode (as Iris attempted to retrieve an item from the garbage heap and then casually lied about why she was there), was effective in both intriguing and confounding us as viewers, as she successfully managed to leave us asking questions about Iris’ unusual behavior.

That said, when the episode passed its midway point, that’s when she really made us all sit up and take notice. As Iris opened up to Cecile, she revealed that the reason behind her actions was all down to her desperate search for the jacket that Nora would one day need to become XS, and that she almost felt guilty for wanting to grieve when she knew she’d meet a different version of her daughter one day.

An unexpectedly emotional moment for a halfway point, it was Patton’s performance that really sold this one. It wasn’t over-the-top or in-your-face. No, it was subtle, gentle and well-timed, as though she had been building up to it throughout the episode (which she was). And the same could be said for her performance later in the episode, with the equally impressive Grant Gustin, as she and Barry promised each other they’d get through this together.

With every crack in her voice, or tear that slowly escaped from her eyes, the Flash vet effortlessly made us feel exactly what Iris was going through as a grieving mother and that, more than anything, allowed this season premiere to shine.

Without question, one of her finest performances yet.

https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/10/13/heroic-actor-of-the-week-candice-patton/

• Love 4
On 10/15/2019 at 6:21 AM, BeautifulFlower said:

When you click on the picture, the actual poster appears and you can see Candice and Carlos' faces. The crimson circle is an overlay and not part of the actual design of the original poster. Additionally, you can clearly see available white space where the crimson circle overlay could have resided. Instead, they put the circle to obscure CP and CV's faces. That was on purpose and no accident IMO.

ETA: Also consider the bad PR from designing a poster that covers the faces of the two main PoCs in the cast, one of whom is the award-winning female lead of the show. It also looks better or worse depending on the screen you use. However, good UX and Web Design dictates that you should check how your page looks on mobile phones, tablets, desktops, smartwatches, and smart TVs.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 3

From the show's social media:

BTS pic from a cut scene from 6.02:

Curious as to what the dialog was

And it looks like they'll be doing recaps "In A Flash" instead of previews like last season:

Edited by Trini

Info about the newest Wells: 'Meet Nash Wells, 'A Man of Adventure'... With a Secret'

This Tuesday on The Flash (The CW, 8/7c), three weeks into Season 6, viewers will be introduced to Tom Cavanagh’s latest character when Harrison “Nash” Wells pretty literally swings into action.

“He’s my favorite since Harrison Wells, the Reverse-Flash of Season 1, because he’s cool. He’s suave…. This is a man of adventure,” says showrunner Eric Wallace. “This is a man who can kind of get in a fight and hold his own, and we haven’t seen a Wells like that.”

The latest Wells will at first land on the Central City Citizen’s radar, instantly sparking Iris’ curiosity and leading her and Cisco to track down the doppelganger of Harrison, Harry, H.R. and Sherloque.

• Useful 1
On 10/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, adora721 said:

When you click on the picture, the actual poster appears and you can see Candice and Carlos' faces. The crimson circle is an overlay and not part of the actual design of the original poster. Additionally, you can clearly see available white space where the crimson circle overlay could have resided. Instead, they put the circle to obscure CP and CV's faces. That was on purpose and no accident IMO.

ETA: Also consider the bad PR from designing a poster that covers the faces of the two main PoCs in the cast, one of whom is the award-winning female lead of the show. It also looks better or worse depending on the screen you use. However, good UX and Web Design dictates that you should check how your page looks on mobile phones, tablets, desktops, smartwatches, and smart TVs.

Since it's on twitter, they couldn't control where the circle overlay comes up - but they should have realized it blocks Iris and Cisco and changed it.  They didn't, which is just another testament to how the PR and social media account for this show is trash.  From day one, season one they've been trash and they still are.

• Love 2
On 10/22/2019 at 5:26 PM, SevenStars said:

I wonder who Wells think Iris is and why his wrist gadget beeped? I hope it is an interesting reason, like maybe Iris from his earth is a criminal or metahuman or from the future🙄

Well - last night's episode partially answered that.  Also I noticed that until Cisco spoke to him, he was laser focused on Iris.

Also - Iris had on the most kick ass boots.  They made a relatively simple outfit look incredible.

• Love 1

Quotes from Grant and Sendhil Ramamurthy about Rosso/Bloodwork at TV Guide; excerpts:

"He's the villain, but he comes from a good place. I don't think he's out to do villainous things or to hurt people or anything like that. I think his main motivation comes from self-preservation," Sendhil Ramamurthy told TV Guide during a recent visit to the set of The Flash. "What he thinks is a logical and kind of reasonable way to go about things kind of goes out the window once he's presented with this set of circumstances that his life is in danger. It becomes all about that. He's, from his point of view, putting everything else aside to get to where he needs to get to, but if you were looking at it from the outside, it's super messed up."

"Barry always sees the good in others because that's what he is," [Grant Gustin] continued, "and he kind of sees everything through rose-colored glasses. In a way, it's kind of like his kryptonite a little bit, but it's also something that makes him so effective as the Flash and being a hero. But it's also like a little bit of a weakness, and Ramsey, he figures that out, and he exploits that. He exploits that and uses it to try and get what he wants."

'How The Flash Has Found Its Heart Again in Season 6'

The Flash has always been one of the more sentimental entries in the Arrowverse, but there’s an emotional maturity to these characters and their stories now that hasn’t always been present in the past. Whether that’s because they’re all being forced to contemplate the possibility of impending death—whether Barry’s or their own—or simply because the show itself is devoting more time to reminding us of the depth between and among these various relationships, it’s a wonderful move that makes the entire show feel richer and more meaningful.

TVLine's Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION | You knew the moment was coming. Maybe you even dreaded it a bit (possibly because you knew you were out of Kleenex). And this week, The Flash went there — Joe poured out his own feelings about Barry’s doomed fate — and Jesse L. Martin is still wrecking us, even upon a fifth viewing. “This is what you get for saving the world over and over again? How is that right?” asked Joe, with Martin at first playing anger over anguish. “The world owes you. You deserve better than this.” When Barry argued that he is actually grateful for all that he has, most of all Joe (“You’re one of the biggest reasons I was able to become The Flash”), Martin flipped a switch, and despair overcame the father figure. “Bar, I’m not ready… I’m not ready for this. I’m just not,” he openly sobbed. “I know you say it has to happen but….” It’s OK, Joe. We are not ready, either.

Carlos Valdes interview at TVLine, previewing tomorrow's episode.

TVLINE | You’re in nearly every scene, though.

But usually I’m in every scene and I say one or two things. Now I’m in every scene and I say six or seven things!

TVLINE | What all are you revealing about the circumstances of Breacher’s visit?

Someone very close to Cisco has been murdered, and there are a lot of really tough emotions to contend with in this episode. Cisco’s in charge of figuring out what happened, and that mystery will lead him on an emotional roller coaster. Oh, yeah.

More quotes from Carlos at EW:

“It’s been awhile since I’ve sort of had a Cisco-centric episode to work on,” Valdes tells EW. “Any time I get the chance to do that, I feel incredibly privileged to get the chance to explore that. So, this episode was no exception.”

“It’s a very heavy episode,” says Valdes. “Put yourself in Cisco’s shoes: Barry tells you, ‘Hey, I want you to be team leader’ and you process it and you think to yourself, ‘Okay, I think I’m ready for that responsibility. I’m gonna think about it. I’m gonna slowly muster the confidence to really put my best foot forward.’ Then, in the very next episode, [someone] gets murdered. Not only that, but you’re charged with the responsibility of figuring out who [committed] the murder.”

TVLine's recap of 6.05, with some additional quotes from Carlos Valdes:

Asked about portraying yet another Earth’s Cisco, Carlos Valdes told TVLine, “The most interesting thing about Echo is that Echo was written entirely differently [at first]. It was a completely different storyline, a whole other thing we were exploring, and as we thought more about it, we all decided — with [showrunner] Eric [Wallace] at the helm of course — that it was too intense. It wasn’t the story we were trying to tell.”

The end result was that Echo was a rather cerebral, almost chill villain — one whose speciality was hacking identities so that a person from one Earth could trade places with their doppelganger from another (regardless of mutual consent).

“We changed it up the night before we started the episode, which gave me very much a whiplash sort of feeling,” Valdes recalled. What’s more, “Usually with villains that are one-offs, it’s tough to give them dimension because they only get one or two scenes to really prove that they’re real characters and to show where they’re coming from. So I think that was actually my biggest challenge, trying to make Echo a real villain and not just some mustache-twirling archetype.”

Hmm; I want to know more about how they wrote the previous version of Echo.

• Love 2

More of Carlos Valdes' press interview at TV Insider:

How did you feel about the decision to kill off Gypsy?

You know, sometimes decisions have to be made that are way beyond my pay grade. If I could, I would have kept Gypsy alive because I think that character is so badass and so awesome. And I know we have awesome females on our show all the time, but at the same time, I don't think that we have enough, you know? So I would keep her alive if I could. Still, I think the way they handled it, how the writers have chosen to handle Gypsy's demise, is very poetic and very appropriate because she deserves all of the ceremony and more.

That is so awesome. And when you're shooting a scene that involves you and two other Ciscos, how much extra production time does that add to the schedule?

Well, unfortunately, time is money with TV. So sometimes there's a whole sequence that you think you have mapped out for a luxurious six-hour period, then all of a sudden all your stunt work and all of your pivotal work for the scene has to be shot in like, an hour. So, you know, you just have to like be ready to go at any given time and that was the case with this particular scene. We had to get it all done in like an hour's time because we were running out of time.

Of course! Now, the episode also featured a ton of emotional stuff for you, including some nice developments in his relationship with Kamilla (Victoria Park).

Yes, that is actually one of the most challenging parts to play in the episode because, on the one hand, I'm trying to grieve over my ex and I'm doing it with my current girlfriend.