Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: 45 RPM

So this baby is ... Cole’s mother? Someone finds the child and names her Marian (Miriam?)) And/or she’s Jennifer’s mom?

I’m really appreciating how true to character Cole and Cassie stay. Cassie is about the personal mission while Cole seems, for the most part, to stay focused in the bigger picture. And now, ultimately they come back together to fight. 

Excited for what’s next!

• Love 2
(edited)

Awwww, I loved that Cole showed up to save Jennifer at the train station! I totally cracked up when they called Bonham and started bickering. Cole's exasperation that this was the nineteenth guy named Bonham that she had called made me laugh. I love their friendship so much. I like that they are like brother and sister now. They might get exasperated with each other, but they would kill or die for each other.

I don't mind that he fell in love with Cassie but I really appreciate that he still has very strong relationships with other people like Jones and Jennifer. He and Jones had a lot of silent conversations in the previous episode while they were lurking in 2043, and I also really liked when she asked him to trust her one more time in the season premiere. They haven't had a lot of time to have fun together (aside from those few nights of drinking) but their relationship runs deep. And I loved that the reason Cole didn't go to 1971 with Cassie, even hen she pleaded with him, was because he had to find Jennifer. Again not the most conventional friendship but they clearly love each other. And I really love that he doesn't automatically put Cassie in front of everyone else.

I had to laugh when Olivia barked at Mallick to find Cole et al and he mouthed off to her by pointing out she's the witness so she could be a little more specific about how to find them. Seriously, you're all knowing so maybe you could do more than yell at your minions and let them figure out how to find someone who could be anywhere on earth on any date in history.

So who is Olivia's baby? Almost everyone is too young because a baby born in 1971 would be 75 in 2046. We know the Pallid Man was already an adult when Olivia was pregnant so that rules him out. And who raised the baby?

I knew that leaving Deacon behind would bite Cole in the ass.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So who is Olivia's baby? Almost everyone is too young because a baby born in 1971 would be 75 in 2046. We know the Pallid Man was already an adult when Olivia was pregnant so that rules him out. And who raised the baby?

I knew that leaving Deacon behind would bite Cole in the ass.

I think Olivia's baby about has to be Cole's mom. Cole was born in 2010, I think, so it would be possible. I can't think of anyone else it could be and it would explain why Cole has always been so important. Plus, it would be fitting if the child Olivia had to ensure the cycle left her child the key to break it. 

I don't want betrayed, vindictive Deacon. I get why he feels that way, but I hope he gets over it and doesn't play double agent for Olivia. Cole and Cassie didn't leave him behind because they didn't care. They didn't have a choice. 

Future Asshole Cole saves Jennifer. I love Cole and Jennifer's friendship. 

Edited by Evie
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Evie said:

I don't want betrayed, vindictive Deacon. I get why he feels that way, but I hope he gets over it and doesn't play double agent for Olivia. Cole and Cassie didn't leave him behind because they didn't care. They didn't have a choice. 

Future Asshole Cole saves Jennifer. I love Cole and Jennifer's friendship. 

I agree. Wasn’t it too late to “save”Deacon anyway?  He was on the other side of the beam. It wasn’t like they could just reach through and grab him. So, yeah, it sucked but they didn’t callously leave him. Maybe Cole could be been a bit more sensitive, but there wasn’t anything they could do. 

I also love Cole and Jennifer’s relationship. This show has done relationships pretty well, imo. 

I thought that was confusing, maybe because so much was (literally) dark.  Were we supposed to recognize Olivia's mother?  Her brother?  Who was that woman who tried to help the young Olivia, just a random street chick?  Why was she lugging around a record player?  Because the record keeps going around - until it doesn't? 

Still totally Team Jennifer, both the acting and the writing. She adds just the right amount of humor and humanity.  Miss Katerina, though,.  I have to believe that Deacon is conning them - he must know they didn't have a choice. 

Agree that the baby probably is James' mother, although I have to admit that I don't really remember anything about her from the prior seasons.

Have we heard about the Djinn before this season? 

Do we know if the baby is a boy or girl (for sure)?  Maybe it's Goines?

I'm guessing the father of Olivia's child was one of her clients, but is his identity important?  

When Olivia was burning the parchment document, I kept thinking of that terminator movie: No fate but what we make.

I love Jennifer and Cole's friendship. 

1 hour ago, mjc570 said:

I thought that was confusing, maybe because so much was (literally) dark.  Were we supposed to recognize Olivia's mother?  Her brother?  Who was that woman who tried to help the young Olivia, just a random street chick?  Why was she lugging around a record player?  Because the record keeps going around - until it doesn't? 

I recently re-watched the first three seasons or I probably wouldn't have remembered but Olivia's mother was one of the Messengers. She's the one that killed the Primary in the psychiatric hospital, causing a paradox. Olivia's brother is the Pallid Man. Don't know about the girl helping Olivia. Just a random street chick, I guess. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Evie said:

I recently re-watched the first three seasons or I probably wouldn't have remembered but Olivia's mother was one of the Messengers. She's the one that killed the Primary in the psychiatric hospital, causing a paradox. Olivia's brother is the Pallid Man. Don't know about the girl helping Olivia. Just a random street chick, I guess. 

Ha, thanks for the update.  For some reason, I thought the Pallid man was Olivia's son.  Wish I had time for a rewatch. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, MostlyC said:

Have we heard about the Djinn before this season? 

Yes, Jones mentioned the concept in one of the first episodes.

Edited by Zoe
  • Love 1

Aww, they had Mallick somehow survive that explosion from last season, only to get knifed in the gut three episodes later?  That sucks since I always enjoy Faran Tahir.

Really not happy that they're going down the "Deacon joins Team Witness" angle, because he feels like Cole and Cassie abandoned him.  It seemed pretty clear they (or at least Cassie) did try to save him and wasn't happy when they had had to leave him behind.  But I guess it would make sense that he won't be thinking rationally right now.

I like the twist with Conleth Hill's character being an ally for Cole and Jennifer.  Hope he stays that way.

Yeah, Olivia's child has to be Cole's mother, right?

*stupid confession*: I actually thought that baby was Cole. She could have taken him to 2008 and handed him to his supposed mother. 

Spoiler

Because Cole is most likely the sacrifice necessary to break the cycle.

Deacon has a really good pokerface. I don't think he'll actually kick in his own windows like that.

re: Cole's mother. From what I recall, she briefly dated his father, disappeared and then showed with Cole a year later. 

Aww, Cole and Jennifer and cheeseburgers.

I hope that Deacon is trying to con Olivia. I know that you can't help your emotional reaction to something, but surely he must realize that Cassie and Cole had no choice in leaving him. Jones said at the beginning of the first episode that crossing the beams would kill you. And then in the second episode, we saw a guy running at the beam (right in front of Deacon) and it incinerated him. There was no way for him to get past the beam. There was no way for Cassie and Cole to get him inside the perimeter. It's not like they left him behind on purpose. Once the splinter sequence had started, they couldn't have stopped it even if they wanted to.

Jones: We'll splinter the facility. Most of it.
Cole: Where?
Jones: Somewhere safe.
Cassie: Time travel without the time part.
Cole: How?
Lasky: An adaptation of Titan's splinter array. We modified Elliot Jones' early machine prototypes. These points are repeaters. They disperse the beam across the lower facility to create a perimeter. Everything inside the beams comes with us. Everything else - these sections here - they stay behind.
Cole: What if Olivia's men cross the beams? They could just hitch a ride.
Lasky: The beams are highly amplified. They could try, but they'd combust.
Deacon: Painful death on contact. I like it.

• Love 4
On 6/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, MostlyC said:

Do we know if the baby is a boy or girl (for sure)?  Maybe it's Goines?

Leland Goines was already an adult and successful businessman in 1987, so that's too young.

The baby possibly could be Cole.  Even if he was born in 1971, but still a child in 2015, there really isn't anything that rules him out, since time travel is involved. 

• Love 1

Glad Cassie and Cole are together again. It's the final season, I don't want them working to different ends yet again. Just look at how well they kicked ass side-by-side in the splinter room in ep 1!

Cole + Jennifer is delightful, as always. I love the evolution of every relationship on this show.

Cole being the Primaries' Chosen One or whatever is probably a big ol' neon sign that he's doomed. And I'm sorta fine with that if it means saving everyone because he would be fine with that, and because I've been bracing myself for a realistic and not-so-happy ending from the start. But that won't stop me from plugging my ears and going "lalala" anytime Olivia or whoever implies doom and gloom, because I love Cole (and everyone else) and can't help wanting something more hopeful.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:52 AM, Aliferously said:

*stupid confession*: I actually thought that baby was Cole. She could have taken him to 2008 and handed him to his supposed mother. 

It could be Cole. Thanks to time travel I don't think we can 100% eliminate many people aside from Athan since we (the audience) saw his birth.

• Love 1

I'm curious as to what they will do that's different from before, if they are to break the loop cycle.  Obviously Cassie did her bit before. so we still need to know how the loop circles back to Cassie being a CDC doctor with seemingly no knowledge of what's to come.

And I presume the baby has some connection to Cole.  I'd say he was, except that his father definitely looked like him and I think the father would have said something if Cole was "adopted" or otherwise just given to him.  Besides, there is still the big mystery of Cole's mother, who apparently knew the oroborus story code.

10 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I'm curious as to what they will do that's different from before, if they are to break the loop cycle.  Obviously Cassie did her bit before. so we still need to know how the loop circles back to Cassie being a CDC doctor with seemingly no knowledge of what's to come.

And I presume the baby has some connection to Cole.  I'd say he was, except that his father definitely looked like him and I think the father would have said something if Cole was "adopted" or otherwise just given to him.  Besides, there is still the big mystery of Cole's mother, who apparently knew the oroborus story code.

I'd say dying Cassie knows what's up (such as speaking directly to herself in that interview), but she doesn't give more information than needed for ~*~reasons~*~.

Cole was just given to his father.  He had a short fling with Marion and then a year later she showed on his doorstep with a baby.

Yes, he never confirmed nor denied that Cole is his biological son. I guess Cole inherited his loyalty from the right person.

It would also solve the age gap dilemma, since technically Cassie is 29 years older then Cole.

2 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Cole was just given to his father.  He had a short fling with Marion and then a year later she showed on his doorstep with a baby.

so in that case, then Marion, who is a true believer, wrote the oroborus code for Cole, so Cole is still following the loop.

On 6/16/2018 at 7:23 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Awwww, I loved that Cole showed up to save Jennifer at the train station! I totally cracked up when they called Bonham and started bickering. Cole's exasperation that this was the nineteenth guy named Bonham that she had called made me laugh. I love their friendship so much. I like that they are like brother and sister now. They might get exasperated with each other, but they would kill or die for each other.

I don't mind that he fell in love with Cassie but I really appreciate that he still has very strong relationships with other people like Jones and Jennifer. He and Jones had a lot of silent conversations in the previous episode while they were lurking in 2043, and I also really liked when she asked him to trust her one more time in the season premiere. They haven't had a lot of time to have fun together (aside from those few nights of drinking) but their relationship runs deep. And I loved that the reason Cole didn't go to 1971 with Cassie, even hen she pleaded with him, was because he had to find Jennifer. Again not the most conventional friendship but they clearly love each other. And I really love that he doesn't automatically put Cassie in front of everyone else.

Cosign all of this.  I love the Cole-Jennifer friendship and love in general that Cole's feelings for Cassie aren't automatically more important than his other relationships.  I'm asexual and aromantic, so I appreciate it whenever shows remember how many different kinds of love there are.

And yeah, both Future Asshole-Jennifer and Our Cole-Jennifer were awesome.  Jennifer freaking out over her plan working was great, and I loved Future Asshole telling her to buy Cole a cheeseburger.  Cole and Jennifer's bickering on the phone with Bonham was too cute.

• Love 3

I don't really understand how Cole saved Jennifer from that train.  I assume he found out she was hit by a train then splintered back to the moment she jumped to save her life.  That doesn't explain how he moved so quickly.  The train was mere meters away.  How could his reaction time be so fast?

On 6/22/2018 at 3:00 PM, Ray Adverb said:

I don't really understand how Cole saved Jennifer from that train.  I assume he found out she was hit by a train then splintered back to the moment she jumped to save her life.  That doesn't explain how he moved so quickly.  The train was mere meters away.  How could his reaction time be so fast?

From the way Jennifer was looking at the clock, and her saying to Cole afterwards that she thought that only had a 30% chance of working, it seemed like it was something she had planned ahead of time? (Which still doesn't really make sense, but this show has a way of pulling out amazing explanations later, so maybe they'll come back to it at some point...) Could he have teleported (time traveled) onto the track as she was falling, because she told him the precise time she needed him?

Either way, Jennifer, Cole (both versions), and Inspector Varys were my favorite parts of the episode.

The only thing that bugged me was that child Cole is clearly several years older than he was when his dad died. I wished they had framed the scene so we didn't have to see the actor (like just show him from behind and use an appropriate-sized actor rather than the same kid).

(edited)
On 6/22/2018 at 3:00 PM, Ray Adverb said:

Future-Cole has a control unit that can set the "when and where" of splinters ahead of time for the suit. That's part of how they were able to track and catch Athan last season. Jones demonstrates it in Season 3 - Nuture, and you can see Future-Cole pull it out of the suit when he's talking to Jennifer. As far as I can tell, he only had to be fast enough to catch her and press the button (or vice versa if he times the catch well enough)

Edited by Jaded Sapphire
  • Love 1