Type keyword(s) to search

S02:E08: Champs vs. Stars: When Loyalty Is Spot On 2018.06.05

• Start Topic

In a challenge designed to purge the weakest of players out of the competition, the players compete to be the last ones standing; two contestants get into an explosive shouting match when one accuses the other of cheating.

• Love 1

Louise and Casper should've been DQd for that blatant cheating. This was a comp where one player being in the wrong position (as Louise was) clears a much easier path for their partner to get into (and stay in) the right position. 

Eliminating just one wasn't the right call, and it's disappointing to know no one (save Shane) was monitoring the player movements. 

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, Drogo said:

Louise and Casper should've been DQd for that blatant cheating. This was a comp where one player being in the wrong position (as Louise was) clears a much easier path for their partner to get into (and stay in) the right position. 

Eliminating just one wasn't the right call,

This doesn’t even pretend to make sense to me. Yes, Louise was out of position, but her staying up until she got the confirmation she was on the wrong peg made it harder for Casper to stay up than if she would’ve jumped/been told to jump off as soon as she left the correct peg, no? It didn’t appear to me he was resting his weight on her, which might be point. But, if anything, she obstructed his path longer than she needed to/should have. Maybe I’m misreading it totally but I don’t understand that previous interpretation. 

That wheel really did land on the worst one every time, though. 

Jozea wearing lipstick. Sigh. He is a short bus person. Does anybody think Selita could actually have lifted that cup from the narrow end? I’m dubious.

I like that Casper has never bought into the Champs’ bullshit for even an instant, despite their constant attempts at gaslighting him into thinking they are not the assholes. I remember all those Casper gay rumors during the J.Lo thing, but I don’t get that vibe from him at all, seeing him in this.

Shane has really matured into a disgusting, pathetic worm of a person. I remember on Invasion he complimented his friends for picking up the pieces and rebuilding him after a breakup. I guess this is what you get when you turn to nonunion labor for your construction needs. 

Where to start? I guess his post elimination delivery of champagne and asskissing to C/L, after he had just booed them. Then claiming to be a famous person, then apologizing for being a known embarrassment once Casper got the power, then gloating that he was the actual winner for calling Casper a bitch once his self-serving groveling didn’t pay off. No, Shane, that is precisely why you are a loser. And it really is kind of odd that he goes through all these perennially pointless machinations on this iteration of the Challenge, when he’s not even in it for his own money. I mean, we all know goddamn well he’s an awful, warped mess, so it’s not like he’s ultra-driven for his charity or anyone else.

Did anyone else catch a bit of setup that Casper will come to regret keeping Drake in the game?

The regular Challenge trailer tease. When Marie crawling out of dirt is the best you got to build a buzz, you know it’s gonna be a shit season. 

Editing becuase I forgot to trash Brooke! Why was she so indignant? She admitted to everyone she had conceded all the decisions to Shane, which I would normally say is a big mistake, except she either is or has flawlessly maintained the perfect cover of a thoughtless bimbo.

Edited by NickPappagiorgio
Trashing Brooke
  • Love 8

Did anyone else laugh when CT farted in Tony's face? I think I rewound it and watched it 3x! That was hilarious!! Yes, I have the mind of a 12 yr old boy. 

That was a fun challenge but seriously, if Casper didn't win it would be a shock. He has to be hella flexible. 

• Love 4

While there are times when Shane is way too over the top and shady, his burn at Casper was well deserved as I had no idea who Casper was until this show.  Whatever level of fame Shane has, at least it was from being himself and solely due to his own personality and work such as it is.  I guess J-Lo was fucking this manlet for a minute and he is some sort of back-up dancer?  Nobody I know has ever even head of him, not that they know who Shane is either, but some at least have seen him on past MTV shows even if they don't know his name per se.  

CT is known to be very dirty and smelly on these shows, so I can only imagine how awful that fart stunk.  They are lucky it appeared to be cool if not cold as the heat would have brought out even more stink from Chris.

I really don't get how Jozea out of all people was chosen to be on the new proper Challenge season. I mean he is awful at all levels of this game from what I have seen.  So random.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, mccartygirl said:

Did anyone else laugh when CT farted in Tony's face? I think I rewound it and watched it 3x! That was hilarious!! Yes, I have the mind of a 12 yr old boy. 

That was a fun challenge but seriously, if Casper didn't win it would be a shock. He has to be hella flexible. 

Hehe! I rewound it too! Best part of the episode. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, NickPappagiorgio said:

Did anyone else catch a bit of setup that Casper will come to regret keeping Drake in the game?

I didn't see this, but agree that keeping Drake and Kailah was the wrong decision.  To me, the obvious choice was Lil Mama and Tori.  They work well as a team, and Tori is more amenable to her partner and I think can be convinced to vote her partner's way.  Whereas, Kailah is stubborn as hell and will never let Drake get an inch of anything.  Kailah has always been middle of the road for me, but she's been a straight up bitch this season.  Her and the other "champs" have been so damn salty because the Stars have not only been playing the strategy that the Champs came in with, but beating the Champs at it.  You can't expect the other teams to lose graciously and just deal with it when you are the ones winning, but not do the same when the tables have turned.  

Speaking of, Bye Shane.  What fucking sore loser.  I always want to like him, but he always shows himself to be shitty ass person.  And Brooke, shut the hell up!  Why would Casper come talk to you when you openly stated that you are letting Shane make all the decisions for your team?  If that's the case, then you also wear the target that Shane has earned.  

The regular Challenge trailer tease. When Marie crawling out of dirt is the best you got to build a buzz, you know it’s gonna be a shit season. 

I missed this as well.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

While there are times when Shane is way too over the top and shady, his burn at Casper was well deserved as I had no idea who Casper was until this show.  Whatever level of fame Shane has, at least it was from being himself and solely due to his own personality and work such as it is.  I guess J-Lo was fucking this manlet for a minute and he is some sort of back-up dancer?  Nobody I know has ever even head of him, not that they know who Shane is either, but some at least have seen him on past MTV shows even if they don't know his name per se.  

CT is known to be very dirty and smelly on these shows, so I can only imagine how awful that fart stunk.  They are lucky it appeared to be cool if not cold as the heat would have brought out even more stink from Chris.

I really don't get how Jozea out of all people was chosen to be on the new proper Challenge season. I mean he is awful at all levels of this game from what I have seen.  So random.

Thats what I don't understand about the whole Big Brother thing. Why is he a "star" when the people on the vendetta's challenge from BB were just competitors. Wonder if he is going to act like hot shit because he was on this season.

Did Shane say he was the most flexible person on the show. He got beat out by the "dad bod." I don't understand what Brooke meant when she was telling Casper to pick on someone his own size. They're both bigger then him. Or was it that they aren't on the same level as competitors as C&L. Lol at Brooke saying Casper never went to talk about her game play. Girl you made it more than obvious that Shane is your mouth piece. 

I kinda wanted Booby to win so that we could see the mind fuck he would try to pull for why he should be MVP. 

If only every episode included someone farting on Tony. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, NickPappagiorgio said:

This doesn’t even pretend to make sense to me. Yes, Louise was out of position, but her staying up until she got the confirmation she was on the wrong peg made it harder for Casper to stay up than if she would’ve jumped/been told to jump off as soon as she left the correct peg, no? It didn’t appear to me he was resting his weight on her, which might be point. But, if anything, she obstructed his path longer than she needed to/should have. Maybe I’m misreading it totally but I don’t understand that previous interpretation. 

It made it easier because the moment she lost position of the blue peg and found the yellow peg, her positioning became vulnerable and she would have likely fallen if she had tried to maintain that position. The problem is that she was hovering right over Casper's arm and if she had fallen, she would have taken him out with her. I don't believe she did it intentionally to cheat and get away with it, I think she was acting instinctively with the focus of keeping herself touching 4 pegs, BUT intentional or not, her wrong position is very likely the difference between them losing and winning today and for that, you should always award the teams that played according to the rules. The fact that she was able to reposition herself onto the wrong peg and keep her balance should have disqualified them both after looking at the tapes. And if they didn't want to make that assumption since Mike also missed it and didn't correctly disqualify her at the appropriate time, they should have started the competition over again. It was definitely an advantage for them and their win shouldn't have been on the back of a missed call like that. 

It seems fishy to me that the Stars get such good power plays compared to the Vets. Like game changing type of powers and given that the Stars are actually playing a great political game, the show just seems to be creating the narrative of the Vets being underdogs for once. 

Minus his ability to follow direction on the voting, Drake has been pretty useless in the competitions. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

It made it easier because the moment she lost position of the blue peg and found the yellow peg, her positioning became vulnerable and she would have likely fallen if she had tried to maintain that position. The problem is that she was hovering right over Casper's arm and if she had fallen, she would have taken him out with her. I don't believe she did it intentionally to cheat and get away with it, I think she was acting instinctively with the focus of keeping herself touching 4 pegs, BUT intentional or not, her wrong position is very likely the difference between them losing and winning today and for that, you should always award the teams that played according to the rules.

Still makes no sense to me, and there are a lot of ifs in there. Just because she took her foot off the correct peg doesn’t mean she was obligated to plummet to the ground like a stone, or that she wasn’t allowed to touch any other peg before she dismounted. How many did we see DQ and then crawl back onto the top of the structure? I just see that Casper maintained the correct positioning regardless of whether Louise was there or not, so I don’t even grasp on what basis the cheating argument is being the made. They didn’t touch and nobody here or there has claimed that they did. The above doesn’t get there for me.

7 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

You and your friends are outliers, and your collective ignorance of tabloid culture is not a baseline of normal you can ascribe to everyone else. J.Lo is famous all over the world, and the Casper/J.Lo thing was hotly covered and speculated upon for at least six months of nigh daily updates. Like with most of these “famous” people, if you haven’t see their ONE thing they are totally foreign to you, but to say Shane is actually famous from being voted off six seasons of the low-rated challenge, or that demeaning himself before cameras qualifies as some type of “actual work” for which he is being rewarded, when Casper’s fame is at least tangentially related to his chosen career, is quite bizarre to me.

And what burn you referencing? Him calling Casper a bitch? Or saying he’s only famous for J.Lo? Neither of those qualify as burns to me, especially when they’re being spit from a red-faced, stuttering waste of a human life like Shane. Shane burns himself almost constantly just through his deliriously unaware and relentlessly hypocritical behavior. 

If Casper didn’t cheat (which you just know Shane would’ve mentioned in his post boot talking head had it not been debunked by then), then on what basis is Casper deserving of the personal attack other than Shane being a child who didn’t get his way?     

Your mileage may vary, but I just don’t think Shane has a viable “side” to support here unless tantrums are a thing. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, NickPappagiorgio said:

This doesn’t even pretend to make sense to me. Yes, Louise was out of position, but her staying up until she got the confirmation she was on the wrong peg made it harder for Casper to stay up than if she would’ve jumped/been told to jump off as soon as she left the correct peg, no? 

She was on the wrong piece for some time, not just when Shane called it out- so her entire person was in the front of the contraption and Casper had more room to maneuver in back. 

• Love 3

Good thing this is charity stuff, otherwise this might be meaningful. Let's see . . . a more painful version of Twister, Shane being a little bitch yet again, and him and three other more meaningful players got bounced in the absolute dumbest way possible. In a "regular" season, I think social media would be up in arms. Well, probably not. The Challenge is becoming like Survivor, in the sense that it's less and less meaningful for me.

Jozea wearing lipstick. Sigh. He is a short bus person. Does anybody think Selita could actually have lifted that cup from the narrow end? I’m dubious.

I rode a minibus for years. I was surrounded by assholes, but most of 'em weren't dummies like him. Big Brother contestants ruin everything. EVERYTHING.

In case you didn't see the Media thread . . . I posted the trailer, along with a tweet from Marie, claiming that shot of her was when she emerged from the basket in Vendettas. Hey, I thought it was funny.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Drogo said:

She was on the wrong piece for some time, not just when Shane called it out- so her entire person was in the front of the contraption and Casper had more room to maneuver in back. 

But Casper was entitled to that extra room, because Louise was already out. And if she had dropped instantly, Casper would’ve had even MORE room to maneuver in the back, front, up and down. Not less. He was actually entitled to all of the room at that point, like Booby was on his once Wes went out. Louise staying up and the judges not calling her out right away diminished the room he was due and the duration for which he had access to it. If anything, the judge’s incompetence hindered, not helped them. And Shane’s tantrum helped, not hindered them.  

What makes you think that if Louise had dropped the instant her foot left the correct peg Casper would have lost? Isn’t it actually the case that if she had stayed up they would’ve lost, because Casper would not have been able to invert like Booby?

I feel like I see a vase and everyone else sees two faces.

11 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I posted the trailer, along with a tweet from Marie, claiming that shot of her was when she emerged from the basket in Vendettas. Hey, I thought it was funny.

That is funny. “I recognize that as me crawling out of a grave from this time I crawled out of a grave! Not from that time I crawled out of a grave! Fools.”

• Love 2

HOW does Kailah not know how terribly unflattering that red lipstick is?  Like that is the dictionary definition of garish.  She just does not have the coloring for it and it startles me every time they got to an interview with her.

Bye Tori.  Go be annoying somewhere not on my teevee.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, NickPappagiorgio said:

What makes you think that if Louise had dropped the instant her foot left the correct peg Casper would have lost?

Not what I said, and there's no way to know how it would have gone had they not cheated. 

Louise was right in front of Casper so he knew she wasn't on the right pegs. He said nothing, so he's as guilty as she is.  

• Love 2
(edited)

We will agree to disagree because I think being tabloid and celebrity obsessed is far from normal and if you polled 100 people randomly selected across the county and not just the coasts the vast majority would not have heard of either of them.  But of the few people who knew Shane it would be because he appeared on television multiple times as himself in competitive reality shows for 15 years.  Casper is ONLY known for fucking someone which lead to other opportunities AFTER I guess.  He is no different than K-Fed except he wasn't able to knock J-Lo's ass up and keep that gold digger money going.  Shane is messy and dramatic but he didn't get to whatever minor level of fame he has fucking someone.  The ONLY reason the boytoy is on THIS show is because he nailed somebody famous.  Shane made it on due to his own personality going back to being picked for Road Rules for better but mostly worse especially nowadays.  If this was a dance competition I would expect Casper to be way more famous in that world. However in the MTV world he is a nobody.  Shane is barely a somebody but more famous the J-Lo's live dildo to a large percentage of the audience.

YMMV.  Cheers.

Edited by Unclejosh
Forgot
  • Love 5
(edited)

I laughed at Shane calling himself famous and I’ve watched every single season of The Challenge since it began. 

I think “the kids” would use Instagram followers as a kind of judge of fame so going with that...Casper Smart, who I guess is now going by “Beau Smart” (???) has over 665,000 followers on his verified account, several “fan page” instagram accounts, and the tag #CasperSmart has over 7,000 matches. Shane Landrum has 25,000 followers on his unverified instagram account, zero “fan page” accounts and the tag #ShaneLandrum has exactly 12 matches. Casper is clearly much more “famous” than Shane, regardless of the reason. If you ask me Shane is probably jealous that he has not been able to “fuck someone” and get much more famous as a result. It’s funny that he’s acting like he’d be above that when he’s “famous” for being Rachel and Veronica’s minion like 10 years ago, if anything at all.

For comparison, CT (with the awesome username _famous4nothing) has 430k followers. John and Cara Maria each have about 450k followers. So Casper still has many more followers than the most popular Challengers, let alone someone like Shane who was never that popular. (Even Tori has over 275k followers..) The real “star” here though is Drake, with 2.5M followers.

I don’t really like Casper’s personality but I do like how he’s shaking up the status quo with the vets/champs. I actually might need him to return on a season that also has John so I can watch him whine and cry about Casper beating him. 

I liked Lil Mama (575k followers, haha) and was sad to see her go even though she didn’t have much of a chance of winning.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, NickPappagiorgio said:

Still makes no sense to me, and there are a lot of ifs in there. Just because she took her foot off the correct peg doesn’t mean she was obligated to plummet to the ground like a stone, or that she wasn’t allowed to touch any other peg before she dismounted. How many did we see DQ and then crawl back onto the top of the structure? I just see that Casper maintained the correct positioning regardless of whether Louise was there or not, so I don’t even grasp on what basis the cheating argument is being the made. They didn’t touch and nobody here or there has claimed that they did. The above doesn’t get there for me.

For me, he issue is that she wasn't allowed to touch any of the other pegs before dismounting, but I see the potential conflict in her comfortably re-positioning herself on the wrong peg before dismounting. As I said, I perceived her initial dismount from the blue to yellow, as being a vulnerable position and I thought she looked like she was losing control (her body began shaking), hence swinging her leg around to the front, on the red peg and then once again leaning to one side for some stability. From my viewpoint, I think Casper could have been collateral damage if Louise hadn't quickly re-positioned herself safely onto the wrong peg. I don't agree that it was blatant cheating as I think the fail was on production/Mike for not paying more attention.

But Casper was entitled to that extra room, because Louise was already out. And if she had dropped instantly, Casper would’ve had even MORE room to maneuver in the back, front, up and down. Not less. He was actually entitled to all of the room at that point, like Booby was on his once Wes went out. Louise staying up and the judges not calling her out right away diminished the room he was due and the duration for which he had access to it. If anything, the judge’s incompetence hindered, not helped them. And Shane’s tantrum helped, not hindered them. 

I don't agree with the premise that it made easier or more difficult for Casper to make moves because he was never required to make a move at any point where Louise's foot was on the wrong peg. She lost her position, re-positioned herself and then dismounted all before the next colour and body part was called. Whether it was more or less difficult would have depended on what the next moves were but it would have been difficult to gauge since they were the only two person team left at that point. You would have no reference point as to whether the moves were forcing partners to get tangled up with one another (in which case being on the wrong peg could possibly have been an advantage for Louise and Casper).

A general comment regarding Shane - I don't think his comment was intended to suggest that he was a bigger star. It was much more mean spirited than that. Shane may not be 'famous' but he's more well known than the average person because of his time on TV and he's attributing whatever recognition he gets to that of being himself on a TV show while suggesting that Casper is only known because of a famous person that he shared his bed with. What really makes Shane look like the ultimate asshole here is that Casper has never leveraged his relationship with J Lo for opportunities during or after they stopped dating. He's never tried to force himself into the spotlight and he's always appeared humbled and respectful of his relationship by maintaining a level of privacy during and after things had ended. He has no control that people now recognize him because of his past relationship with J Lo. The reality is that he may be a smaller guy, but he's a competitor and he's not a vet to the show so Shane felt he was fair game to try and cut him down. However tall Casper may be, Shane made himself look far smaller.

• Love 6
(edited)

I think a lot of them, including Shane, are stuck on the “I’m a VET and you’re a lowly rookie” of it all. That usually works in their favor and they intimidate the rookies to go along with the vets at their own detriment. I like that it hasn’t worked much for once this season. Most of the Stars team has remained loyal to the other Stars. And Casper and Louise are good enough at challenges to get some leverage.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

We will agree to disagree because I think being tabloid and celebrity obsessed is far from normal and if you polled 100 people randomly selected across the county and not just the coasts the vast majority would not have heard of either of them. 

There is a veritable ocean of distance between totally obsessed with and completely ignorant to. It’s called pop culture for a reason: it’s popular, and therefore it is “normal” to have some interaction with it, personal tastes notwithstanding, and “not normal” not to have. 90 percent of that spectrum would know who Casper is. The remaining 10 percent are outliers, who shouldn’t bet the farm on that poll coming up 0/100. I’m not saying Casper has fans, really, but “existence noted” is the level I’m referencing. I do agree with the second half with regards to Shane on all levels, though. 

8 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Whether it was more or less difficult would have depended on what the next moves were but it would have been difficult to gauge since they were the only two person team left at that point. You would have no reference point as to whether the moves were forcing partners to get tangled up with one another (in which case being on the wrong peg could possibly have been an advantage for Louise and Casper).

What specific future call could’ve made it easier for Casper if Louise was on the board when she shouldn’t be? Logically, I don’t see how that can exist. If any future moves had caused Casper to become tangled with a should have already been called down Louise, then production’s disinterest worked against them. Unless Casper is resting his weight on her, there is no scenario where her remaining up, taking up pegs that he could use, space he could need, is an advantage to them. 

To illustrate: what if there were 5 other players in Casper’s rig, not just one, all on the wrong pegs like Louise? So 20 of the 25 pegs are occupied by people who should not be there but remain up due to production fail. If you add another person, 24 of the 25 pegs are taken. The disadvantage expands with each additional person added. The challenge gets easier (more pegs/room available) as people are taken out. That is independent of whatever moves are called. Casper also could’ve decided to drop because he thought Louise was still in play for their team, which would’ve totally screwed them.

Is the cheating claim being made because it’s thought Louise was attempting to slip through and actually win on the wrong pegs, hoping production would never notice? I didn’t see it like that, mostly because I think that level of incompetence is a lot even for this show, but if that’s where all this is coming from, I guess I can get it somewhat. 

The Lolo/lime shit she pulled was pretty shady, and that was like Day 1 for her.

10 minutes ago, NickPappagiorgio said:

What specific future call could’ve made it easier for Casper if Louise was on the board when she shouldn’t be? Logically, I don’t see how that can exist. If any future moves had caused Casper to become tangled with a should have already been called down Louise, then production’s disinterest worked against them. Unless Casper is resting his weight on her, there is no scenario where her remaining up, taking up pegs that he could use, space he could need, is an advantage to them. 

To illustrate: what if there were 5 other players in Casper’s rig, not just one, all on the wrong pegs like Louise? So 20 of the 25 pegs are occupied by people who should not be there but remain up due to production fail. If you add another person, 24 of the 25 pegs are taken. The disadvantage expands with each additional person added. The challenge gets easier (more pegs/room available) as people are taken out. That is independent of whatever moves are called. Casper also could’ve decided to drop because he thought Louise was still in play for their team, which would’ve totally screwed them.

Is the cheating claim being made because it’s thought Louise was attempting to slip through and actually win on the wrong pegs, hoping production would never notice? I didn’t see it like that, mostly because I think that level of incompetence is a lot even for this show, but if that’s where all this is coming from, I guess I can get it somewhat. 

The Lolo/lime shit she pulled was pretty shady, and that was like Day 1 for her.

I'm not exactly an expert in probability but I do know that the possible combinations would be high enough that you can't say for certainty that there are no moves that exist that couldn't make his path easier. You mention that if any future moves caused them to get tangled then Casper is at a disadvantage, but you aren't accounting for any future moves that could possibly allow the two to put some distance between each other which would give Casper better access to the pegs he needs. Louise repositioned herself in a way that went from their bodies crossing one another, to her being directly in front of him. What if the next move was right hand blue? Then Louise would have been able to reposition her entire body in front of her which would have put her in a comfortable position to have a good shot at any next position that was called. Now what if the next series of calls allowed Louise to simply shuffle her positions on the pegs without having to contort her body behind her? That would definitely free up the space on the board so that both of them could move while limiting the need to cross over one another. 

And to clarify again, I'm not saying that an easier scenario is likely, I'm saying that it's probable and that's the point. In a game where each move is completely dependent on chance, when you risk any kind of probability that gives an unfair advantage, it's unfair to everyone. The challenge of the game is not simply touching pegs while in uncomfortable positions, just like twister, the combination can not only result in you falling (and eliminating yourself), but it can result in you falling and knocking someone else out of the game with you.  There's a domino effect - you can't change any one thing and be certain that the results would be the same and as challengers, I totally get why there were upset.

That water must have been pretty bad.  Several players climbed to the top and then climbed back down where they wouldn't end up on that water.

If the next challenge favors strength -- and this one kind of did, or stamina -- the guy/guy teams will have an advantage.

But looks like it's some combo of puzzles and then rolling giant cubes in a race.