Type keyword(s) to search

Disappeared - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I also don't grasp why they didn't go get him.  His friends are telling them he's not ok and they just keep telling him to drive home.

Was there an episode this week?  I see one on my guide for Saturday but thought they were on Mondays.

• Love 1

Was there an episode this week?

Yes.  It was about a woman named Tammy Kingery who vanished during a two-hour period when she was left home alone while not feeling well.  Despite the husband's alibi, I'm not completely certain he wasn't involved in some way.  It's a very bizarre case.

I see I'm not the only one who wondered why one of the parents didn't make the three-hour drive to their son Bryce.  They did seem to be in denial. 

• Love 3

I have an 18 year old son and if two of his friends called to tell me he was acting weird and I was 3 hrs away I'd go get him.

That episode is the one showing up to tape on Saturday, thanks.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, califred said:

I have an 18 year old son and if two of his friends called to tell me he was acting weird and I was 3 hrs away I'd go get him.

This episode bothered me so much I went to poke through the WebSleuths forums about the case. There was a piece of information left out of the Disappeared episode. Bryce had come off probation less than two months before for a marijuana conviction in Illinois (where he and his parents used to live). His parents apparently suspected that he had been experimenting with drugs again and were ready to exert some tough love on him (maybe cutting off money for college?). He dawdled going home because his girlfriend told his parents he had been using drugs and he knew he was in trouble. A theory on Websleuths is that his parents wanted him to come home on his own to face the music. They thought he was sobered up from the drugs and was OK to drive and not a danger to himself. If he got away from the bad influences of his friends & girlfriend they could straighten him out at home.The call to the highway patrol was a scare tactic - perhaps they were hoping the cop would find some drugs in the car and arrest Bryce. I mean, if it had just been a wellness check the car wouldn't have been searched, right?

Anyway, that theory is the only one that could possibly explain to me why the parents wouldn't go get him. They had been through this before.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

It was obvious to me that Bryce was on drugs that made him paranoid and suicidal, and his parents were floating down a river called de Nile.  But I am confused by the scent dogs' trail leading back to the ?truck stop?/civilization, because I trust dogs more than people.

Every police force should have trained bloodhounds that are dispatched IMMEDIATELY following the disappearance of anyone. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

It was obvious to me that Bryce was on drugs that made him paranoid and suicidal, and his parents were floating down a river called de Nile.  But I am confused by the scent dogs' trail leading back to the ?truck stop?/civilization, because I trust dogs more than people.

Every police force should have trained bloodhounds that are dispatched IMMEDIATELY following the disappearance of anyone. 

Yeah, the dogs weren't out there until what, 9 days later? And they knew immediately he was missing since his parents had already filed a report.

The episode made me nuts because we learned practically nothing about Bryce except the bland soundbyte that he was perfect and loving and would never just walk away from his life. There was no background history or details on how he spent his time other than school. He was clearly troubled, and the drugs exacerbated it (or caused it if the comparison of the drug he took to Meth was apt). I hope this isn't how Disappeared is going to be from now on - as mentioned above the woman in the first new episode was likely a heroin user, and that was never mentioned either. If the shows are now going to be an hour-long missing persons bulletin, that's fine, but I wish ID would acknowledge it.

Edited by phantom
  • Love 6
(edited)

The background makes everything more sensible. It tells us why the girlfriend took his keys. It tells us why they searched his car. Disappeared used to tell us this stuff, because it was relevant to the case. I wonder if the families are being allowed to nix such discussion out of either embarrassment or the fear that people will blow it off, thinking their loved ones were just addicts who either ran off or got what they deserved. At least this week's episode mentioned depression and affairs, although I had some feeling that the husband was deflecting suspicions by bringing them up. Makes me very suspicious that families are being promised certain things in order to participate. They're doing their loved ones a disservice if so. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 5
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:50 AM, Josette said:

Yes.  It was about a woman named Tammy Kingery who vanished during a two-hour period when she was left home alone while not feeling well.  Despite the husband's alibi, I'm not completely certain he wasn't involved in some way.  It's a very bizarre case.

I watched this last night. What a strange case. She's miles from anywhere, either left of foot or got a ride from an unknown person, and no trace of her is found. Suicide seems the most logical answer but you'd think they would have found something by now. It always makes me sad to hear that so-and-so would never commit suicide because they wouldn't leave their kids behind. That's not how suicidal depression works. If that's what happened to her, she was convinced her kids would be better off if she was gone. She had already reached that point once before, according to her family.

I don't know what to think about the husband. He seems a bitter, but his life has fallen apart and he's raising 3 kids on his own. His whereabouts seem solid for the hours before she disappeared, and it's hard to imagine how, when and where he would have moved her. I saw a crime show recently where the husband had been initially ruled out in similar circumstances - the wife was sick in bed and husband and children saw her sleeping before leaving for work & school. But the husband had actually smothered the wife overnight, and she was already dead. Tammy's husband claims she spoke to them before they left, and assuming the kid with him confirmed that, then that theory is kaput. I am curious how and why the two men she was texting with were ruled out so quickly.

Edited by phantom
  • Love 3
On May 1, 2016 at 7:07 PM, ihavenoidea said:

I don't understand why they didn't come after him after realizing he wasn't moving from the rest stop.  At that point I wouldn't trust him to drive home by himself, especially after the girlfriend was worried enough about him to take his keys.

This ^^

If any of my children were acting this way - you couldn't prevent me from going to get them.

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, phantom said:

I watched this last night. What a strange case. She's miles from anywhere, either left of foot or got a ride from an unknown person, and no trace of her is found. Suicide seems the most logical answer but you'd think they would have found something by now. It always makes me sad to hear that so-and-so would never commit suicide because they wouldn't leave their kids behind. That's not how suicidal depression works. If that's what happened to her, she was convinced her kids would be better off if she was gone. She had already reached that point once before, according to her family.

I don't know what to think about the husband. He seems a bitter, but his life has fallen apart and he's raising 3 kids on his own. His whereabouts seem solid for the hours before she disappeared, and it's hard to imagine how, when and where he would have moved her. I saw a crime show recently where the husband had been initially ruled out in similar circumstances - the wife was sick in bed and husband and children saw her sleeping before leaving for work & school. But the husband had actually smothered the wife overnight, and she was already dead. Tammy's husband claims she spoke to them before they left, and assuming the kid with him confirmed that, then that theory is kaput. I am curious how and why the two men she was texting with were ruled out so quickly.

The text message evidence was strange considering they were on her bill but not the phone, meaning she (or someone in her family, or one of the two men, or anyone) deleted them. I also wondered why the detectives were so quick to determine the texts or the two men had nothing to do with Tammy's disappearance. Maybe I watch Investigation Discovery too much, but that combined with the husband's "And that's all I'm going to go into about that..." left a strange taste in my mouth. What about those messages are the detectives trying to hide?

• Love 1

I don't think they are trying to hide anything. In all likelihood, the men were married and, having been ruled out, both the family and the police are trying to protect the families of those men from humiliation on national television. I am just fine with that. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I don't think they are trying to hide anything. In all likelihood, the men were married and, having been ruled out, both the family and the police are trying to protect the families of those men from humiliation on national television. I am just fine with that. 

But why would her family have any reason to protect those men if they might have something to do with her disappearance?  I assumed the two men were not local and had alibis out of town, so as you said, there was no reason to make their identities known. I didn't think the families knew anything about them.

• Love 1

During the middle of the Brian Histand Disappeared, I got antsy and Googled him; his remains were found in the desert this past January. So, naturally I waited for the show to mention this seeing that it was a new episode. But, nope! Not even a tacked on title card at the end acknowledging his disappearance had been solved, so to speak. I'm wondering how long this show had been in the can before it was broadcast? I mean, surely the producers were made aware he'd been found, right? 

And what's with these parents who think their kids couldn't possibly be mentally ill because "it doesn't run in the family?" Ugh. 

At least they found Brian's remains.

Michael Histand broke my heart.  One the one hand, he wanted to believe Brian had cut all ties and went off on his own because then he'd still be alive.  But he knows Brian wouldn't do that, so he has to face the sad reality.  Damn.

Giant Misfit, the dad wasn't ruling out mental illness just because it doesn't run in the family.  He said that Brian never exhibited any signs until the day or two before he started his cleaning spree and went missing, and seeing the videos of how many times Brian landed on his head doing tricks made the possibility of (multiple?) traumatic brain injuries the more likely cause for his behavior.  Even the police said Brian was lucid and not off-enough to warrant being taken in to custody, and his friends and co-workers thought he'd be fine after some sleep and soul-searching. 

Gotta say, though, if I had a friend that suffered from multiple head injuries, was grieving the loss of his grandmother and worrying about his mom, had just been dumped by his girlfriend, and was sitting on the side of the road with a bag of garbage next to him after at least a day of out of character behavior and no sleep, I wouldn't snap a pic and drive on.  I'd be insisting he get some help.

• Love 4
(edited)

I remember when he was found earlier this year, so I was waiting for it to be mentioned, too. That was a pretty big oversight on the part of Disappeared to not have a chryon at the end, but then I guess he wouldn't be "disappeared" any longer. He was found pretty near where he was last seen, and that area was supposedly searched. I'm going to guess it wasn't with dogs since they would have found him. When I win the lottery, I'm getting every search and rescue team trained canines. Note to self: Must remember to play the lottery; those dogs are expensive.

Although, the frequent head injuries seemed like the obvious answer to his behavior, especially in light of his recent stresses, I don't think they could rule out mental illness at his age. I think the TBIs would actually help bolster a burgeoning mental illness, if there was one. There is some research about the combination factors of a major mental illness presenting after injury, but I don't remember the specifics. In any case it seems like he broke mentally under the recent stress, and while his acquaintances thought he wasn't acting right, they didn't realize he needed help. There was probably a lot of second guessing their decisions after he disappeared.

It seems like the families on these type of shows routinely deny any possibility of mental illness or suicide. I wonder if they think people won't give it the same attention, or mental illness and suicide are just too taboo. Sometimes they cover up drug issues, too, but it always seems like they claim there is no chance of suicide, even when someone is depressed. 

Edited by Christina
Odd formatting glitch
  • Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, Christina said:

I remember when he was found earlier this year, so I was waiting for it to be mentioned, too. That was a pretty big oversight on the part of Disappeared to not have a chryon at the end, but then I guess he wouldn't be "disappeared" any longer.

In the previous incarnation of the show, they did several stories where bodies were eventually found or the people turned up alive. Some of them had been solved years ago, in fact. Not sure why they didn't do that here. 

I had seen this story before, but I can't remember where. It could have been something local when I still lived back home, but I don't think so. Anyway, so sad. Doesn't look like they could determine cause of death, but they didn't suspect foul play. Probably died of exposure/dehydration.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 5/10/2016 at 1:06 AM, Kitty Redstone said:

Gotta say, though, if I had a friend that suffered from multiple head injuries, was grieving the loss of his grandmother and worrying about his mom, had just been dumped by his girlfriend, and was sitting on the side of the road with a bag of garbage next to him after at least a day of out of character behavior and no sleep, I wouldn't snap a pic and drive on.  I'd be insisting he get some help.

Same. I didn't understand the point of the friend snapping a picture of Brian, instead of helping him. I think that taking a picture of him in that state is actually kind of creepy.

• Love 7

Why would someone take a picture of him sitting by the road with the bag of trash if not to show others his/her "strange" coworker? 

It's so frustrating to realize how differently this story could have ended if some of the people involved had just banded together and had a plan.  I know there are legal issues and rights and all that rot but surely something could have been done.

My coworkers are no bags of joy but I will tell you if any of them were in a similar situation, I would be proactive to make sure they got the help they needed.

On 5/4/2016 at 10:08 AM, phantom said:

I wondered about the texting guys too......I didn't feel very good about the police department at all.  I think they discounted both of the men because they were trying to find a way for the husband to be guilty.  I found the husband believable.  Or at least he made all the right moves.  I don't blame him for getting an attorney, some of these police departments that aren't particularly savvy or capable decide on a suspect and then try to find evidence to confirm their suspect instead of looking at the evidence first.  I also don't see the impetus for him killing her -- if there was no evidence at all than the murder was planned.....not a crime of passion, or else you would find some sort of evidence.  And there wasn't evidence of another woman, or a big insurance payday.

• Love 2

There were her affairs as motive, although I am not convinced he had anything to do with it. Considering that the cops have cleared him, I see no plot by them to frame him, either. I'm not a fan of the police, but they didn't do anything wrong there, either. There just aren't any answers to be had. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, azshadowwalker said:

There were her affairs as motive, although I am not convinced he had anything to do with it. Considering that the cops have cleared him, I see no plot by them to frame him, either. I'm not a fan of the police, but they didn't do anything wrong there, either. There just aren't any answers to be had. 

He got an attorney so there may not be much more that they can do to put this on him.  I don't remember them saying that they had cleared him, but if they did, good for them.

Affairs as a motive seems more like a crime of passion, if he had done this he would have had to plan, IMO.....especially getting her to write the note, and the thing with the son and what not.

But agree that there aren't any answers to be had in this situation.  I wonder if she walked to a body of water and jumped in and thats why they haven't been able to find her.  

• Love 1

Those woods were pretty thick, too.  It's possible she's not far away and they just haven't found her remains yet.  Remember the CFO from Arkansas who went missing in a state park?  There were police and volunteers who combed the area without finding any trace of him, but then years later some hikers found his bones not a mile from his car. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm behind on this show and have just watched the episode about Tiffany Daniels, the young artist from Pensacola, Florida who may have been trafficked.

We were told early on in the episode that prior to taking on her friend's dad as a housemate, Tiffany had had a succession of deadbeat types living with her who couldn't pay their share of rent and expenses, and that she got into financial trouble herself trying to cover for them. I found it pretty weird that when the police were trying to come up with suspects, no one mentioned the possibility of anyone from that succession of roommates being involved in her disappearance. Nor did any of her family or friends mention the possibility on the show.

The tip they got from the waitress in Louisiana was chilling. No one could have made up a detail like that, about the chicken broth. But if she did fall prey to traffickers, what were all those opening and closing doors about the morning she disappeared (as reported by her roommate)? The family seems to be leaning towards the trafficking thing, but the detective was noncommittal when it came to any of the theories.

Edited by Becks
  • Love 1

Yeah, I found the trafficking thing to be a bit of a stretch.  I know it's a high-profile issue at the moment, but I really don't think she fits the demographic that is most vulnerable to being trafficked.  Maybe for some of the family and friends it's easier to think about that than that she may be dead.  I really think she was the victim of a serial killer or some such.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:58 AM, tobeannounced said:

Yeah, I found the trafficking thing to be a bit of a stretch.  I know it's a high-profile issue at the moment, but I really don't think she fits the demographic that is most vulnerable to being trafficked.  Maybe for some of the family and friends it's easier to think about that than that she may be dead.  I really think she was the victim of a serial killer or some such.

I agree with you. Like the "walking away" theory, it gives the family hope that the loved one is still alive. Trafficked women are generally  (as you pointed out) vulnerable in ways that Tiffany was not. Many victims are conned with job offers and I doubt that would have caused Tiffany to leave everything behind on the spur of the moment. I think that the trafficking theory was also floated for Natalee Holloway (high school student who disappeared in Aruba ten years ago). The chicken broth comment at a diner was certainly a strange coincidence, but as a vegetarian I can attest to asking regularly about broth bases in soups. Not to mention that most 'sightings' don't turn out to be the missing person.

I thought Tiffany drowned accidentally at that beach. But who knows.

• Love 3

When Jessica Heeringa (first episode this season) disappeared from the gas station where she worked, a witness saw a silver minivan.  It was also caught on a surveillance camera.   Well, now a man named Jeffrey Willis was arrested for kidnapping a 16-year-old girl.  He drives a silver minivan (like the one from that night) that contains everything a kidnapper/rapist might need, so he is now a suspect in Jessica Heeringa's disappearance.  He may also have killed a female jogger in 2014.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The David Riemens disappearance was a strange one.  I think he was probably killed by a friend who knew he was planning a trip and would have cash on him, and who lured him away from the parking lot with a plea for help or an offer for lunch or something.  It didn't sound like he would have gotten in a car with a stranger or someone he barely knew, like the old man with the building project.  And if the contractors on that job were so evasive or shady (or however they were described), would he have kept going back to the site to get more bricks all by himself?  He lived a simple life but seemed too sophisticated for that.  IDK. 

I sure don't believe he left his family, dog and friends to go live as a damn hobo, though.  That was so ridiculous I can't believe Disappeared even gave it the five minutes that they did.

• Love 10

Anyone see the Rico Harris Disappeared from last week? I just watched it -- and, thankfully, decided to Google for more information. The poor man had a much more serious drug addiction then the show let on, not to mention his habit of self sabotage throughout his basketball playing days. The other thing the show completely minimized was the reason he left the Globetrotters. From what they inferred, he had an "injury" which I was left to assume was a basketball-related injury. Um:

A big man with the skills of a point guard, he fit perfectly into the Globetrotters’ traveling spectacle. His stint, however, lasted only a month.

On a night out with a girl in south Los Angeles, he had an argument with another group of people. Instead of driving off, he got out of his car to confront them. While talking to one of the men, someone picked up a baseball bat and whacked him across the back of the head.

Harris drove off under his own power, but soon he began having intense headaches and his balance was off. “It was part of the cycle of poor decision-making,” David Lara says. “From that point on, nothing was the same.”

I highly recommend reading The Vanishing Man, and article published by Fox Sports for a way better reporting of Rico's life (which wasn't all that rosy with his girlfriend either) and disappearance.

I'm really disappointed in this show this season. It's like they're barely making an effort to even phone it in.

I just finished the Robert Hoagland episode. I made the mistake of looking for the Help Us Find Hoagie page on Facebook, and ran across the "Sandy Hook Hoax" page. Yeah, the show was right. Internet crazies. As for his disappearance, I know his son passed the polygraph, but... I don't trust polygraphy and I don't trust him. Yes, he stole those laptops from his folks. Yes, he put his dad in danger. And, yes, I think his actions led to his dad's death. I don't believe he's alive, and I think his son knows what happened to him, even if he wasn't directly involved. 

• Love 6

I think his son's drug issues are the ultimate cause of his death, too. He probably met up with the people his son owed money to or possibly stole from, and those people killed him when he couldn't pay off the debt. I won't say that the son was present, but I think he knows his dad was trying to clear up his mess.

Those Sandy Hook conspiracy people are scary crazy. They link everything they can to Sandy Hook, and claim the government had that schizophrenic young man shoot up the school as part of a gun control platform. They claim the same thing about James Holmes, the man who shot up the Colorado theater, because both of their fathers worked for the same government agency in some capacity. One of the scariest things to me about the conspiracies is that those people own guns. 

• Love 7

I think Robert Hoagland disappeared on his own. He was stressed out and had used it as a coping mechanism before. Too many things for me point in that direction. I find myself getting angry with people who disappear on purpose. It is such a cruel thing to do to family members and loved ones. I mean, I could be totally wrong but that is my gut instinct. 

(edited)

I just think he would have taken the cash he had on hand in that safe and some shoes if he was leaving on his own. Why leave his medicine behind? I agree that people who just take off are selfish (like that Columbia student who just pulled that). I just don't really think he did that. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 5

My guess is that his son's "associates" beat the living hell out of him and left him for dead.

As his good friend said, why would you confront them?  He was middle-aged, apparently not in tiptop health because of high blood pressure medicine - and he confronts a band of losers probably high on anything they could find? 

I also agree that disappearing off the radar on purpose is selfish.  I felt so bad for his friend who choked up when talking about how much he missed Hoagy.  Right along with that is when people make snap choices without clearly thinking the situation through.  Was a couple of computers worth risking your life?  In my book - never.

I don't think he was a stable dude, to be honest. It sounded to me like his wife was the one holding the family together even before he disappeared. His repeated problems with the stress level at various jobs, his previous disappearance, his decision to confront his son's drug buddies. All of it sounds like a person who was prone to emotional behavior and questionable decisions. I can see why that might make someone think he took off on his own. I just think there are too many things pointing to it being unplanned and not of his own volition.

• Love 4

You guys make good points about reasons he did not disappear on his own. For me, I have a hard time getting by the first disappearance he did. People are creatures of habit in my experience. The meds and the money left behind could have been to throw people off his trail. Also, he couldn't have had his meds refilled without leaving a trail. Plus I am a nurse and you can't believe the amount of patients I've see who are non-compliant with taking their meds so that didn't hold much weight for me. 

I felt sorry for his wife and kids. She said, he wouldn't leave his kids but he did leave them once before. I don't know. I also admit a lot of the way I feel is just gut instinct. 

• Love 2
(edited)

After watching my fair share of cases involving disappearances I have noticed a common theme in most of them, and that is drugs.  In the situation involving Tammy Kingery, for example, I sensed that she was battling withdrawal from opiates during the period of time when she arrived at work in distress and the time spent recovering in her bed at home.  I believe the amount of time that transpired was approximately two weeks or so.  It would not surprise me that she seized an opportunity once her husband and son left the house that morning.  It is not at all uncommon for an addicted person to get through the first uncomfortable days or weeks of withdrawal only to weaken and resume using their drug of choice again.  A common scenario is for a person to pick up their habit at the same level of potency that they had maintained prior to their abstinence, leading to overdose and, often, death. It's possible Tammy contacted someone the minute her husband was out the door, and that person simply acted as her ride to wherever it was she wanted to go. Not sure if they ever thoroughly investigated the man or men Tammy was supposed to have been involved with during her marriage, but I do not get the feeling that her husband is involved in her disappearance. (I did read a report online that quoted Tammy's husband as saying that his wife had taken a large amount of "medicine" and alcohol the week prior to her disappearance; the article did not specify the type of medication, however.)

I don't think the idea of Tammy using drugs again, either alone or with someone else, and overdosing from those drugs, is a far-fetched theory, considering her recent behavior, her depression, and the episode with drugs and alcohol that transpired the week before she disappeared.

With respect to the disappearance of Brian Histand, yes, it is possible his repeated head injuries factored into his recent bizarre behavior. It is also possible that the stress of so many back-to-back losses pushed him into the zone of unreality and, ultimately, his demise.  The "tipping point" for bipolar individuals is often, if not typically, stress.  Even if Brian were undiagnosed as having bipolar disorder, his behavior does indicate he was having trouble dealing with the stressful events in his life.  Then there is that other possibility: That Brian was having a psychotic episode of sorts from doing drugs, particularly methamphetamine. His cleaning frenzy that persisted throughout the night and into the next day, coupled with his lack of sleep, could easily suggest a manic episode induced by meth or simply a manic episode brought on by stress or of its own accord. Although his death was probably due to dehydration and exposure to the environment, I do wonder if a manic episode from drugs (or mental illness) was the primary factor.

Then there is the giant basketball player, Rico Harris, who also vanished. He was known to have a quite serious drug problem. Although it may be unrealistic in some ways to imagine, Rico may still be alive and, perhaps, living as a transient, his awareness obliterated by the smoke from a constantly-burning crack pipe.

Lastly, the vanishing of Robert Hoagland could very likely be the result of "Hoagie's" altercation with associates of his drug-using son. I, too, question the wisdom of confronting a bunch of drug thugs over a couple of laptops that belonged to his wife. Was Bob that frightened of his wife that he would risk his own life (and maybe his son's, too) in his quest to retrieve these computers? Maybe.

Then again, maybe a combination of stressful events all came together in one big mess, compelling him to plan his exit.

Didn't detectives mention something they found on his computer that related to wiping a hard drive clean?  I do seem to recall, however, that they added a caveat to this discovery:  that this info. on how to execute a "clean swipe" of the hard drive might have been an ad or pop up that inadvertently arose on the computer screen rather than being the result of a search that Hoagie had initiated for his own purposes.  On the other hand, if he had been secretly planning to take off, the particular time that he disappeared would seem to make sense.  His wife was away, for one thing. Also, I had a feeling that the one son with whom he had regular contact did not seem to be adding much peace or joy to his father's life, as it appeared he was still very much involved in the drug-using lifestyle (despite his mother's assertions that he was in recovery).

If Robert Hoagland did actually opt to leave, he may have done so with the intention of it being only temporary.  Maybe he viewed it as a well-earned hiatus, as a move that was crucial to his future well being. It's possible he rationalized his leaving as something beneficial in the long run to not only himself, but to his wife and sons, as well.  Perhaps he told no one of his decision to go, not even his family, because his stress had reached a level where he could not risk being talked out of it.  I could imagine this man lacking the courage to tell his family he needed a break. That would be a tough announcement for anyone to make. How much easier to just GO.  If only for a while.

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 4

I think Rico Harris got lost in the mountains and his body just hasn't been found yet.  His poor mother.  She broke my heart and I feel so badly for her.

19 hours ago, StayingAfterSunday said:

Was Bob that frightened of his wife that he would risk his own life (and maybe his son's, too) in his quest to retrieve these computers? Maybe.

Yeah, the computers must have been his line in the sand and he'd finally had enough of the son screwing him/the wife over.  His response was not smart, though.  It's likely that the son's drug associates got angry at being tracked down and questioned over the computers and paid Hoagie a nasty, surprise visit in return.  Sadly I don't think he went anywhere voluntarily. 

• Love 4
On 5/31/2016 at 3:07 PM, PsychoKlown said:

My guess is that his son's "associates" beat the living hell out of him and left him for dead.

As his good friend said, why would you confront them?  He was middle-aged, apparently not in tiptop health because of high blood pressure medicine - and he confronts a band of losers probably high on anything they could find? 

I also agree that disappearing off the radar on purpose is selfish.  I felt so bad for his friend who choked up when talking about how much he missed Hoagy.  Right along with that is when people make snap choices without clearly thinking the situation through.  Was a couple of computers worth risking your life?  In my book - never.

I can't imagine how some drugged-out, small town morons would be able to hide a body so well and not leave a trace of their crime.  But I guess it's the only explanation that makes sense, considering the wallet/money/meds left behind.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ghost Recon said:

I want to see some resolution in a TV program.  These Disappeared programs always leave us hanging.

Never any resolution.

One of the very first episodes, they actually found the girl who disappeared.  But for the most part you're right.

On 6/6/2016 at 11:08 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

Was she the young mother who went into a fugue state and never did (at least at the time of taping) regain most of her memory? 

I don't remember that story,  but I remember the woman who was raped, then had her mom blaming her for the rape. After getting no support, falling into drinking, and being generally left to deal with the pain on her own,  she left. They found her in Oregon, where she was a live-in caregiver for an elderly woman and seemed to be very happy and healthy. She was one person I didn't blame for leaving without a word to her mother. Just because they are your parents doesn't always mean they are good for you or worth more pain. The cop who was looking for her was an asshole, too. 

If they were all found, this wouldn't really be a show about the missing,  though. It would be about murders and other crimes that are already covered by countless other shows. 

• Love 3

People keep referring to Bob Hoagland's first disappearance as vital, but that was over 20 years ago.  He had just lost a new job, they moved across country with no financial planning, and he felt he let down his family.

To me, that first disappearance really doesn't come in to play.  It wasn't something he did more than once.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:36 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

People keep referring to Bob Hoagland's first disappearance as vital, but that was over 20 years ago.  He had just lost a new job, they moved across country with no financial planning, and he felt he let down his family.

To me, that first disappearance really doesn't come in to play.  It wasn't something he did more than once.

Sorry, the quote got messed up - this was @roamyn

I completely agree with you. I was on a different discussion board and another member kept arguing with me that because he'd done it once, he'd do it again and succeed since he had years to plan. My primary reason not to believe he left on his own was that his kids were grown. He could have divorced his wife (if that was a source of unhappiness, which I suspect) and been able to support himself AND stay in touch with his boys. He didn't have to run away from everything to start fresh if that's what he wanted.

Edited by phantom
  • Love 3

I saw a post in the All Episode Talk about the show being so disappointing because there is no resolution to these disappearances. I would like to start this thread to post the cases that have a resolution.

• Love 2
(edited)

These are the ones that I have found so far. I know some were mentioned in the broadcast, but I could not take the time to check each one. This list may not be up to date. Please add to it if you can.

·         Paige Birgfeld, found deceased, Lester Jones was arrested in 2014 and charged with her murder.

·         Amy St. Laurent, found deceased, Jeffrey “Russ” Gorman was convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to 60 years in prison.

·         Michele Whitaker, found alive

·         Michelle McMullen, found alive

·         Madalyn Murray O’Hair, along with her son, John Murray, and granddaughter, Robin Murray O’Hair were found deceased

·         Rosemary Anne Christianson, found deceased

·         Royal “Scoop” Daniel, found alive.

·         Tanya Rider, found alive

·         Michael Bradyn Fuksa, found deceased

·         Kristi Cornwell, found deceased

·         John Glasgow, found deceased

·         Jamison family, found deceased

·         Tim Carney, found alive

·         McStay family, found deceased, Charles Merritt is charged with four counts of murder

·         Molly Bish, found deceased

·         Samantha Bonnell, found deceased

·         Morgan Harrington, found deceased

·         Patricia Viola, found deceased

·         Amber Gerwick, found alive with amnesia

·         Colleem Orsborn, found deceased

·         Tina McQuaig, found deceased

·         Danice Day, found deceased

·         Allison Jackson Foy, found deceased

·         Noah Pippin, found deceased

·         Chioma Gray, found alive

·         Shannon Gilbert, found deceased

·         Dana Pastori, found deceased

·         William McGrath, found deceased

·         Mitrice Richardson, found deceased

·         Jesse Capon, found deceased

·         Satara Stratton, found alive

·         Randy Morgenson, found deceased

·         Brian Histand, fo0und deceased

Edited by margol29
  • Love 6
On 6/6/2016 at 4:28 PM, Ghost Recon said:

I want to see some resolution in a TV program.  These Disappeared programs always leave us hanging.

Never any resolution.

Ghost Recon, I have created a topic about this. If you want to check it out.