Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Totally Hosed

Gordy agrees to volunteer in the theater, bringing him back onto Gwen's radar, while his family tries to come to terms with Maashous' imminent departure. As Robbie faces the severity of his mother's illness for the first time, Lilette waits for her mother to return home. Tracey and Lou work to prepare "Spring Awakening" for opening night, but can't see eye-to-eye on how to address notes from the administration.

Vanessa ain't shit. She just left? For days? Without telling anybody where she was going and making sure the rent was taken care of? What about her job? She's definitely fired - does Lilette have to work double shifts again?

I was right there with Lou when he rolled his eyes at "Papa yells at me! REALLY LOUD." You can't have Spring Awakening without all the "hot topics." It's not the same show.

Did we know Robbie's mother had ALS? I feel like I missed that.

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Did we know Robbie's mother had ALS? I feel like I missed that.

I don't think they specified her illness before this episode (or else I missed it, too). When they first showed her I thought, "did they ever say what she actually has?" I guess the show read my mind. ;)

• Love 2

Tracey and Lou looked like they were dying on the inside when they were changing the words to make them more "family friendly". There is no way Spring Awakenings can work if you take out all the bits the school wanted them to remove. What would even be the point? 

Vanessa just ran off? What the hell lady? Just ditched her teenage daughter after one fight? Is Lilette still paying the rent all on her own, while doing the play and going to school? She must be exhausted. Thanks for nothing Vanessa. The scene with the coaches wife was really good. What a messed up situation. 

I dont think Maashous will be gone for long.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Tracey and Lou looked like they were dying on the inside when they were changing the words to make them more "family friendly". There is no way Spring Awakenings can work if you take out all the bits the school wanted them to remove. What would even be the point? 

Vanessa just ran off? What the hell lady? Just ditched her teenage daughter after one fight? Is Lilette still paying the rent all on her own, while doing the play and going to school? She must be exhausted. Thanks for nothing Vanessa. The scene with the coaches wife was really good. What a messed up situation. 

I dont think Maashous will be gone for long.

Lilette's not paying the rent because the landlord was hassling her for it and she said her mother would pay it when she got back. I assume Lilette went back to working her regular part-time schedule when Vanessa got the job at the motel (which she's certainly lost if she's been no-calling, not-showing for days). And Robbie's right - it's dangerous for Lilette to be alone in that apartment with a big guy who has keys to the place who knows she's there alone bothering her for rent. That's a situation that could go left very quickly. 

The scene with Lilette and the coach's wife was good. The coach's wife handled that very well.

• Love 7

Well, they just killed “Spring Awakening”!  It’s now “The Death of Spring”.  

Gotta say, I am not a fan of the “f” word, but changing it to “hosed” is just stupid!  I kind of hope that they gave the principle his “cleaned up” version and then just do the play as they’ve rehearsed and let the chips fall where they may.  Of course, that probably would mean Ted Moseby will be out of a job.  Oh, wait!  This is Hollywood so there has to be a happy ending, right?  Everyone will LOVE it and hail Ted as a genius as the PTA’s heads explode!

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

It was honestly foolish for a high school drama club to do this given the limitations and censorship that comes with it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Lilette's not paying the rent because the landlord was hassling her for it and she said her mother would pay it when she got back. I assume Lilette went back to working her regular part-time schedule when Vanessa got the job at the motel (which she's certainly lost if she's been no-calling, not-showing for days). And Robbie's right - it's dangerous for Lilette to be alone in that apartment with a big guy who has keys to the place who knows she's there alone bothering her for rent. That's a situation that could go left very quickly. 

The scene with Lilette and the coach's wife was good. The coach's wife handled that very well.

Vanessa is the biggest loser on this show.  She takes off in her car, leaving her teenage daughter to live alone with the landlord hounding her about past due rent.  And no word from her.  Why doesn't Lilette file a missing persons report?  Is Vanessa in touch via text at least and just hasn't spoken on the phone or is she truly MIA?  Vanessa is one selfish woman.  First she has an affair with a married man with no future to it in a small town where her lover's daughter and her own daughter are classmates, even in the drama club together.  Now this.

Obviously whatever version of SA is performed in the season finale will not include the "Totally Hosed" song in it's original version since they can't do that on NBC.  I'm kind of hoping they break free and do the original version, or as close as they can, and see what happens.  I fear that the students would be blamed and suspended or expelled though, or have some grade ramifications or permanent black mark on their records.  Of course, Lou will be in nasty trouble and the season finale seems to indicate there is a question of his future at Stanton High.

• Love 2

Why does this show get such terrible ratings?  I think it's pretty interesting... especially the parts about how a musical production is made.

The teen drama part is pretty mediocre, but I think the behind the scenes insights take it to a higher level.  It's better than Glee for me personally.

If it gets another season they should end with a live musical performance like they've been doing with all the classics the past few years.

• Love 5

I felt for Simon. It's weird to hear your parents screaming at each other and then see them just pretend that everything is fine.

I'm all for Gordy doing community service, but in my experience, helping out with the play doesn't qualify. Working on the play in any capacity is an extracurricular activity, not community service. I guess if rehab is going to be as loosie goosie with their definition of service as that, then hey, being on the football team counts as community service too!

Man, poor Lilette. Her mom not only abandoned her but won't even return her phone calls to let her know that she's alive? Really mature, Vanessa. And that's before you factor in how she knows Lilette doesn't make enough money to be able to afford their rent. That's okay, Vanessa. Just run away from your responsibilities like a child and leave your actual child to fend for herself. Great parenting there.

Lou would have gotten less attitude from the kids if he had said, "Look, I want to stay as true to the original text as possible, but if we don't make these cuts, we will not be allowed to perform this play and I could lose my job. I don't want to see your months of hard work to never be seen by anyone, so I'm going to try to cut as little as possible so that we can at least perform the play for our families and friends. It's devastating and disappointing to me too, but I would be more upset if I didn't do everything in my power to keep the show from being canceled." Wait, did I say Lou? Of course Lou would never say that because he has an artistic vision!

For the record, I totally agree that cutting so much of the story renders the show pointless. I am not in favor of censoring the bulk of the storylines. But they were in a tough position at this point. If they refused to make the requested changes, there would be no show for anyone to perform/see. It was really unfair to ask for such substantial changes a few days before the show was supposed to open, so their options were (1) make the changes so the show could go on (2) refuse to make the changes and there is no show.

I'm honestly shocked that Lou didn't flat out tell the cast that they were going to make these changes for the run through to get approval from the principal and the PTA and then perform the real show on opening night.

OMG Lou is the worst at parenting advice! Telling Gordy that the way to win over someone out of his league is just to wear her down, ignore the boundaries she sets, and don't take no for an answer? FFS.

His paranoia with Tracey made me glad that he's never suspected Gail of cheating on him. Can you imagine the nonstop interrogation Gail would get if the thought ever crossed his mind?

I'm glad that Gwen's mom is mature enough to realize that Lilette is not to blame for Vanessa's actions. It's nice to see an adult on this show who doesn't have their self centered head shoved right up their own self righteous ass.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm all for Gordy doing community service, but in my experience, helping out with the play doesn't qualify. Working on the play in any capacity is an extracurricular activity, not community service. I guess if rehab is going to be as loosie goosie with their definition of service as that, then hey, being on the football team counts as community service too

Honestly, I thought he made that up just to "help" and hover over Gwen. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Vanessa is the biggest loser on this show.  She takes off in her car, leaving her teenage daughter to live alone with the landlord hounding her about past due rent.  And no word from her.  Why doesn't Lilette file a missing persons report?  Is Vanessa in touch via text at least and just hasn't spoken on the phone or is she truly MIA?  Vanessa is one selfish woman.  First she has an affair with a married man with no future to it in a small town where her lover's daughter and her own daughter are classmates, even in the drama club together.  Now this.

Obviously whatever version of SA is performed in the season finale will not include the "Totally Hosed" song in it's original version since they can't do that on NBC.  I'm kind of hoping they break free and do the original version, or as close as they can, and see what happens.  I fear that the students would be blamed and suspended or expelled though, or have some grade ramifications or permanent black mark on their records.  Of course, Lou will be in nasty trouble and the season finale seems to indicate there is a question of his future at Stanton High.

I think Lilette muttered something about wanting Vanessa to respond “with more than 2 words” or some such.  I took that as Lilette knowing Vanessa was alive, but not much more than than.  I agree with you that Vanessa is the worst.  When your 15/16 year old is far more mature than you are, it’s time to take a step back and evaluate.  

15 hours ago, Real4real said:

I kind of hope that they gave the principle his “cleaned up” version and then just do the play as they’ve rehearsed and let the chips fall where they may.  Of course, that probably would mean Ted Moseby will be out of a job.  Oh, wait!  This is Hollywood so there has to be a happy ending, right?  Everyone will LOVE it and hail Ted as a genius as the PTA’s heads explode!

I tbought the same about the show being performed as originally written.  If Lou loses his job teaching Econ 305, I mean, HS English, can he come full circle and get a job as an architect? 

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

OMG Lou is the worst at parenting advice! Telling Gordy that the way to win over someone out of his league is just to wear her down, ignore the boundaries she sets, and don't take no for an answer? FFS.

It does seem like absolutely abysmal advice to your teen son-don’t take no for an answer, no doesn’t really mean no, you can wear down her resolve eventually!  

• Love 6

Did no one watch how the cast of SA sing Totally F*ck on the Tony's?     They just sang Totally ___  so a silent pause.

Anyway Robbie and his mom was eerie.   Just this week Stephan Piscotty a professional baseball player's mother died on May 7 of  ALS the night before on May 6th ESPN aired a story about  Piscotty and his mom and it ended with him singing Amazing Grace to her.

sorry OTT a bit but see 5:55 mark.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, reallyjustjen said:

It does seem like absolutely abysmal advice to your teen son-don’t take no for an answer, no doesn’t really mean no, you can wear down her resolve eventually!  

One of the things I really liked about the show Speechless was when one of the kids asked his father how he could make a particular girl like him, and the father very kindly told him to let it go - that there would be someone to come along who liked him on her own, and he shouldn't try to force anything with anyone. It was so refreshing compared to the "Well, son, you need a Big Grand Gesture to wear her down!" sitcoms usually pull. I've never understood why anyone would want to be with someone they had to talk into it.

Also, if Gordy is newly sober, should he even be thinking about girls? I know he's a straight boy so thinking about girls is a given, but ...

• Love 7
3 hours ago, reallyjustjen said:

I think Lilette muttered something about wanting Vanessa to respond “with more than 2 words” or some such.  I took that as Lilette knowing Vanessa was alive, but not much more than than.  I agree with you that Vanessa is the worst.  When your 15/16 year old is far more mature than you are, it’s time to take a step back and evaluate.  

I tbought the same about the show being performed as originally written.  If Lou loses his job teaching Econ 305, I mean, HS English, can he come full circle and get a job as an architect? 

Yeah, it's called stalking these days.  Gwen thinks Gordy's stalking her, then he confesses that he's really there for community service, but that she's stalkable.  WTF?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, reallyjustjen said:

think Lilette muttered something about wanting Vanessa to respond “with more than 2 words” or some such.  I took that as Lilette knowing Vanessa was alive, but not much more than than. 

At the beginning of the episode, Lilette left Vanessa a message asking her to call her back just to at least let her know that she was alive. Later in the episode, Lilette left her another message saying that sending a two word text (I assumed it was “I’m alive”) wasn’t good enough and that she needed to actually call her back. In other words, Vanessa is being a petulant brat.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Also, if Gordy is newly sober, should he even be thinking about girls? I know he's a straight boy so thinking about girls is a given, but ...

Exactly.  It reminds me of the "13th Step" in AA (but not entirely).  It is definitely frowned upon to start up romantic relationships within your first year of sobriety.  He should be focusing on getting his sh*t together rather than on a girl.  But he is indeed a teenage boy so.... 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Lou is truly an awful character. I don't think I'll be able to make it to the end. 

He's truly unlikable, especially when he forcefully interferes with other people's lives and more often than not for the better.

• Love 5

Argh Lou is so awful I'm not even sure I can hate-watch this shit any more. He's always a jerk but the way he treated Rosie Perez this episode was next level. 

For all his temper tantrums, I do wish he'd at least pushed back against "no boys kissing on stage." Can public schools get away with blatant discrimination like that in 2018?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, retrograde said:

Argh Lou is so awful I'm not even sure I can hate-watch this shit any more. He's always a jerk but the way he treated Rosie Perez this episode was next level. 

For all his temper tantrums, I do wish he'd at least pushed back against "no boys kissing on stage." Can public schools get away with blatant discrimination like that in 2018?

Public schools can shut down any public displays of affection between students on and off a drama club or theater class stage.  There were plenty of PTA complaints in The Petition about the love scenes between male and female, and don't forget the little BDSM scene that was nixed.

I have to wonder how the real life inspiration for Lou's character feels about all this, because Lou is one of the most insufferable, unlikable characters I've had to endure on a show. I really hope that they improve the writing for him next season, if this show gets one.

Aside from the absolutely asinine ignoring of reality (that they couldn't make the cuts being asked of them anyway due to the license agreement, etc.), almost all the adults in this show act like children. Lou yelling at the kids "this is a private conversation!" - well, perhaps go have it in private then, instead of a massive auditorium with your entire cast on stage! Vanessa not bothering to pick up when Lilette calls, bother with her new job that she's almost certainly lost at this point, and left her teenage daughter on her own while the rent is past due. Both Robbie's father and Gwen's father are useless. Can all these kids go live with Gwen's mother? She seems to be the only level headed one there. 

• Love 5
(edited)
15 minutes ago, MsNewsradio said:

I have to wonder how the real life inspiration for Lou's character feels about all this, because Lou is one of the most insufferable, unlikable characters I've had to endure on a show. I really hope that they improve the writing for him next season, if this show gets one.

Aside from the absolutely asinine ignoring of reality (that they couldn't make the cuts being asked of them anyway due to the license agreement, etc.), almost all the adults in this show act like children. Lou yelling at the kids "this is a private conversation!" - well, perhaps go have it in private then, instead of a massive auditorium with your entire cast on stage! Vanessa not bothering to pick up when Lilette calls, bother with her new job that she's almost certainly lost at this point, and left her teenage daughter on her own while the rent is past due. Both Robbie's father and Gwen's father are useless. Can all these kids go live with Gwen's mother? She seems to be the only level headed one there. 

Well all the adults in Spring Awakening were awful and they messed up the kids becasue their issues.

Edited by itsjustme
10 hours ago, MsNewsradio said:

Lou yelling at the kids "this is a private conversation!" - well, perhaps go have it in private then, instead of a massive auditorium with your entire cast on stage

Ha, I forgot how ridiculous/hilarious that was! I thought the same thing when I was watching the episode. Sorry, Lou. I forgot that the entire theater is your private office. 

• Love 5

Can't believe there isn't one negative word about Tracey here and it's all just still with the Lou hate. I always come in here and know I won't see my main takeaways from the hour related to those two.

Hope they pretend to put up this neutered version and do the real one when it's showtime and get rave reviews and publicity thus forcing the PTA, principal, and district's hands into keeping it as is and not firing anyone. 

• Love 1