Type keyword(s) to search

America's Test Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Terrafamilia said:

My two cents - Though I enjoy both, of the two shows the recipes I actually try out tend to come from Cook's Country.

I am the opposite because I tend to focus on technique/method rather than the actual recipe and I find ATK highlights that more but I enjoy them both with or without Chris.

I have noticed that now when I see reruns I get more annoyed at Chris than I used to, I guess absence has not made my heart grow fonder!

• Love 5

They haven't shown any new eps of Cooks Country yet in my area so I can't speak to that, but as to ATK, IMO, the problem is that they tried to replicate the show as it was instead of retooling it.  They should have dropped the demonstrating to someone part of the show and just let them cook.  Sounds like that was what everyone tuned in for anyway.  Trying to do the same things they did when Chris was there is just silly, frequently awkward, and totally not necessary.

As an aside, I'm probably the only one who cares, but it looks like they finally got their website sorted out.  

• Love 4

I think it feels now like both shows are overscripted, but I can't tell if that's actually true or if it's just that previously Chris delivered most of the scripted dialogue, and Julia and Bridget are just not as good at delivering it so it feels like there's more of it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Carrie Ann said:

I think it feels now like both shows are overscripted, but I can't tell if that's actually true or if it's just that previously Chris delivered most of the scripted dialogue, and Julia and Bridget are just not as good at delivering it so it feels like there's more of it.

I appreciated that Chris would just stand there and shut up while whomever was cooking described their process. His interjections felt real and didn't mess with the flow.  Now there's a surplus of fake chit chat while one expert cook plays dumb.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

one expert cook plays dumb.

This is my biggest problem with the new format. I don't mind some talk where there's a new technique being shown, but I really hate it when Bridget or Julia has to be amazed, say, that browning meat before braising it gives extra flavor. Just agree with it and move on. Or add something—"Don't be afraid to really brown all sides," or whatever.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

This is my biggest problem with the new format. I don't mind some talk where there's a new technique being shown, but I really hate it when Bridget or Julia has to be amazed, say, that browning meat before braising it gives extra flavor. Just agree with it and move on. Or add something—"Don't be afraid to really brown all sides," or whatever.

I think they have gotten a little better at this in the later episodes and point out more when the technique differs from other techniques they have used in the past.

• Love 1

So I caught Tyler Florence Test Kitchen again this weekend and I honestly feel like he would be perfect for these shows. He can host and also do "high tech" segments On his show he made his own potato buns and I think his experience cooking and hosting would make him a duel threat. If they keep with the current staff I think they should just let the co-hosts cook alone whenever they cook.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Also, he'd likely be a cog in the ATK wheel. He might prefer to stay independent.

Being featured in the magazines and maybe being able to launch an CI podcast network could be enticing though.

2 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

Being featured in the magazines and maybe being able to launch an CI podcast network could be enticing though.

I don't see him as a good fit and the show isn't just a hosting gig they work in the testing kitchen and Tyler is pretty tied to the Bay Area, his other projects only require him to be gone a few weeks at a time.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don't see him as a good fit and the show isn't just a hosting gig they work in the testing kitchen and Tyler is pretty tied to the Bay Area, his other projects only require him to be gone a few weeks at a time.

Right and the pilot he filmed that Scripps said was "too smart" was a test kitchen based show.

3 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Right and the pilot he filmed that Scripps said was "too smart" was a test kitchen based show.

Completely different, I don't know where his show was filmed but his real test kitchen which is a fraction of the operation of ATK is located in the Bay Area.

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I am almost afraid to know what this means. The basic-knowledge level was too advanced?

Tyler's style of cooking seems a little too casual for ATK, IMO.

It was basically a Food Networky ATK. They had done tests and were showing the best way to cook the dish. He showed the right technique and the wrong technique and tasted and described the results of both, etc.

Did he do something like this a while back? It sounds vaguely familiar. Or maybe Florence did a quick version and a more complicated one? 

At any rate, Tyler Florence doesn't strike me as a good fit for ATK.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

Seriously could they not afford another chair, the sitting on the steps just feels contrived. Also, I never noticed their makeup but Julia looked orange and Bridget looked pale and sick.

The sofrito sauce looked delicious and I will definitely try it the next time I make Arroz con Pollo. 

Never had sour orange pie but it looked tasty so I might give it a try.

Interesting that cool whip won with the tasting panel, I wonder if it's sense memory that they have brought up when it comes to people liking artificial vanilla.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Did he do something like this a while back? It sounds vaguely familiar. Or maybe Florence did a quick version and a more complicated one? 

Aired last year had a reairing this weekend.

On 9/3/2017 at 7:46 PM, Skyfall said:

So I caught Tyler Florence Test Kitchen again this weekend and I honestly feel like he would be perfect for these shows. He can host and also do "high tech" segments On his show he made his own potato buns and I think his experience cooking and hosting would make him a duel threat. If they keep with the current staff I think they should just let the co-hosts cook alone whenever they cook.

I agree with the others that Tyler Florence wouldn't be a good fit for ATK.  I always thought Alton Brown would be, though, but I'm sure he wouldn't be interested in doing the show.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Yes he did, several years ago.  It was called Tyler's Ultimate, and that was the original concept, although I don't think he ever showed the "wrong" way to do something.  I quite liked it in the beginning, when he was doing basic dishes, but IIRC, he started getting into things I had never heard of, so I lost interest.  

And I agree, I couldn't imagine Tyler Florence on ATK or CC.

ATK and Cook's Country are so much more enjoyable with Bridget and Julia doing the hosting duties. It's hard to identify why, and admittedly I've watched both shows regularly for years. But there was something slightly annoying about Chris; I always found myself wanting him to talk less, and the others more. While I would be a faithful viewer with or without Chris, IMO the change has been a definite improvement. 

• Love 4

Chris' new show "Milk Street" premiered yesterday in some markets.  It isn't airing here until next week but I was able to watch the first episode on the show's website.  I actually liked it a lot and learned a couple of things I never knew - like that there are different kinds of mirin.  I've only known about and used one.  Chris seems far more relaxed and "himself" on this show which makes me think there was tension at ATK for a while which contributed to his snarky image.

I've put in a new show forum request for anyone interested.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Chris' new show "Milk Street" premiered yesterday in some markets.  It isn't airing here until next week but I was able to watch the first episode on the show's website.  I actually liked it a lot and learned a couple of things I never knew - like that there are different kinds of mirin.  I've only known about and used one.  Chris seems far more relaxed and "himself" on this show which makes me think there was tension at ATK for a while which contributed to his snarky image.

I wonder when I'll get it on TV, my station seems to always be anywhere from 2-4 weeks behind Boston.

5 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Thanks for the head's up @Snarklepuss.  Looks like I missed the first episode yesterday on my PBS, but I have the ol' DVR set for next week's episode.  I'll try to catch the first episode either on the website or On Demand if I get the chance.

• Love 1

We just got the first episode of CC this past weekend. Why all the extreme close-ups on the cooks? There were at least 3 after I started noticing them, one when the cook was talking about doing something in the recipe but while she's doing that, it just shows her from the shoulders up.

I liked the new cook, Christie, and I hope she gets to do more. She has a great sense of humor.

I saw the first episode of CC today but only on the website because the new season isn't starting until next week near me.  Unfortunately my PBS station is skipping over the first few episodes so I'll have to watch them online.  Season 10 Episode 1 was about cider braised pork shoulder and pierogies.  Brian Roof was the cook in the pierogi segment.  I didn't notice too many closeups but it did feel weird without Chris.  I love Julia and Bridget but something about their chemistry is just not what I consider ideal.  They're too similar, I think!  The more I watch the Chris-less shows the more I think they should have hired another host to replace him.  If they didn't want to hire someone new why couldn't Jack have taken his place? To me he would have seemed like the logical choice.  I guess he didn't want it because I'm sure he could have done it if he wanted to.

• Love 3
On 9/13/2017 at 0:44 AM, Snarklepuss said:

I saw the first episode of CC today but only on the website because the new season isn't starting until next week near me.  Unfortunately my PBS station is skipping over the first few episodes so I'll have to watch them online.  Season 10 Episode 1 was about cider braised pork shoulder and pierogies.  Brian Roof was the cook in the pierogi segment.  I didn't notice too many closeups but it did feel weird without Chris.  I love Julia and Bridget but something about their chemistry is just not what I consider ideal.  They're too similar, I think!  The more I watch the Chris-less shows the more I think they should have hired another host to replace him.  If they didn't want to hire someone new why couldn't Jack have taken his place? To me he would have seemed like the logical choice.  I guess he didn't want it because I'm sure he could have done it if he wanted to.

I agree...it really seems so 'forced' to me.  Fake forced laughing, fake smiles and comments.  Honestly.  I wish it was just ONE of them explaining and cooking the recipe.  I know that the whole ATK and CC routine has been to have someone standing there pretending to listen and act surprised at things they already know about...I get it, but maybe it's time to break free of that and just have one person.  I still like the show, and believe me I was no huge fan of Chris, but I just find these new episodes painful.

• Love 1

After finally getting to see the first episode of CC, it looks to me like Bridget and Julia are getting more comfortable with the format, which is such a relief.  Lord knows I've been pretty harsh on Julia during the latest season of ATK, but she came off much better here, IMO, filling in little knowledge gaps instead of oohing and ahhing like a complete novice.  

That said, I still think they should have just abandoned this format and let them them cook, without having to demonstrate to someone.

• Love 4

I made the sour orange pie from the recent episode as well...it was okay IMHO.  I wasn't a fan of the crust, if I make it again, I'll do a graham cracker crust.  It was very easy, I"ll give it that.  I wasn't completely sold on it though.  It had a very distinctive 'orange concentrate' flavor to me.  I may tweak the ratios of lemon juice/orange concentrate/zest to make it more orange and less lemon tasting...or get my hands on some real sour oranges.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kelly said:

I wasn't a fan of the crust, if I make it again, I'll do a graham cracker crust.  

I made something very similar to the orange pie from Martha Stewart (Atlantic Beach Pie) last week, and she used a crushed saltine cracker crust.  It worked very well with the citrus and I bet it would go nicely with this pie, too.

When ATK people cook chicken, do you think it's cooked enough?  I wince when I see the chef carve into a bird and there's RED flesh, or the time is so short.  40 minutes at 450 degrees F is not long enough.  Put it back in there for another 10 minutes, then shut off the oven and let it rest for another 10!  Or, shut off the oven and let the bird rest for 20 minutes.  Whichever.  I would rather have an over-done bird than get food poisoning.   

On 17/09/2017 at 2:01 PM, Kelly said:

I agree...it really seems so 'forced' to me.  Fake forced laughing, fake smiles and comments.  Honestly.  I wish it was just ONE of them explaining and cooking the recipe.  I know that the whole ATK and CC routine has been to have someone standing there pretending to listen and act surprised at things they already know about..

The new season of ATK just finished its run on our PBS station and I think that over the season the two cooks quickly adjusted to their new roles and found a good balance between them. At first it seemed that they were alternating in trying to fill the role of the kitchen ignoramus that CK was playing (it was just an act, but he performed it convincingly) but by the end I think they came across as food professionals having an informative and useful back-and-forth, while still being capable of learning new things and being pleased when that happened. It works very well in the two episodes of this season's CC that I have seen so far.

• Love 1

I watched an episode where they made smothered chicken, saying they went to Montgomery, AL to learn more about it. I expected them to show footage of where they went, but nope, no further mention. Seemed like they should've explained why they went there, or not bring it up at all.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, EAG46 said:

When ATK people cook chicken, do you think it's cooked enough?

Sure.  We see the readout on the digital thermometer, and that temperature, not the color of the meat, is what matters, because the color is determined by numerous factors, not just doneness.

Overcooked chicken is almost as bad as overcooked shrimp, and happens almost as quickly.

• Love 4
On 9/18/2017 at 1:19 PM, Nessie said:

After finally getting to see the first episode of CC, it looks to me like Bridget and Julia are getting more comfortable with the format, which is such a relief.  Lord knows I've been pretty harsh on Julia during the latest season of ATK, but she came off much better here, IMO, filling in little knowledge gaps instead of oohing and ahhing like a complete novice. 

I know this is cruel, but keep in mind that my husband said this - He's now taken to calling Bridget and Julia the two new "2 fat ladies", after the legendary show of over a decade ago.  I cracked up in spite of myself but told him I thought the original 2 fat ladies had better chemistry!

• Love 2

I loved the Two Fat Ladies!  They were amazing...and what lives they led before the show.  Total characters, both of them, and completely unapologetic about who they were.

To bring this back on topic, what I would give to see Julia jump on a motorcycle and Bridget climb into the sidecar!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I know this is cruel, but keep in mind that my husband said this - He's now taken to calling Bridget and Julia the two new "2 fat ladies", after the legendary show of over a decade ago.  I cracked up in spite of myself but told him I thought the original 2 fat ladies had better chemistry!

So true...the 2 Fat Ladies had great chemistry!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

He's now taken to calling Bridget and Julia the two new "2 fat ladies", after the legendary show of over a decade ago.

If the two ATK hosts are indeed deserving of the "two fat ladies" moniker, than I guess I should start describing myself as an anorexic boy.  ;-)

I have seen one or two seasons of the British Two Fat Ladies, and although their chemistry was different than that of the ATK gals, I do not think I would call it better. Bridget and Julia are more professional and far less demonstrative than the other two, but I find them all equally enjoyable in their own specific way, for different reasons.

• Love 3