Type keyword(s) to search

America's Test Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 11/27/2023 at 10:39 AM, chessiegal said:

Fortunately, I have their top choice for a knife sharpener, the Chef's Choice.

I love that thing!  I have a manual knife sharpener, but I got that electric one (based on ATK's recommendation) for my mom several years ago because it's easier to use than a manual with her arthritis.  I still mostly sharpen manually, but every once in a while I bring hers home with me and sharpen all my knives with it.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:45 AM, dubbel zout said:

I feel like you can't win with cutting boards. Plastic is more sanitary but dulls knives, wood/bamboo is less sanitary but safer for knives. I guess you choose your battles, heh.

I'm perfectly fine with reasonably sanitary, so for me it's easy -- wood.  I don't like the sound a knife makes when it hits or, especially, scrapes against a hard plastic board.  I put one of those thin, flexible plastic cutting mats down on top of my wood board when I'm cutting raw meat.

Edited by Bastet

I like the handheld accu sharp, and it works pretty well.  I don’t want to devote counter space to another electric device.  I use the softer plastic cutting boards (by OXO), as they feel like wood when you’re cutting on them. I’ll have to watch the report. 

On 11/27/2023 at 1:39 PM, chessiegal said:

Today I learned my plastic cutting boards I love will dull my knives. Too bad, because I put my cutting boards in the dishwasher. Fortunately, I have their top choice for a knife sharpener, the Chef's Choice.

Did ATK do a report?  Which cutting boards do you have?  

6 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I like the handheld accu sharp, and it works pretty well.  I don’t want to devote counter space to another electric device.  I use the softer plastic cutting boards (by OXO), as they feel like wood when you’re cutting on them. I’ll have to watch the report. 

Did ATK do a report?  Which cutting boards do you have?  

The episode I watched was discussing how to keep your knives sharp. I have no idea what brand of plastic cutting boards I have. Just ones I picked up at the now defunct Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The episode I watched was discussing how to keep your knives sharp. I have no idea what brand of plastic cutting boards I have. Just ones I picked up at the now defunct Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

I just watched the knife sharpening video on YouTube, and he's using the OXO cutting board that I have--which is the soft plastic.  He says don't use hard plastic.  So if you have something like that, you should be okay.

Now, I was taken aback by the magnetic knife block they featured, which costs a whopping $360!  Puh-leeze.  You can get a nice magnetic strip like I have on the wall for about $20.  There are also cheaper nonmagnetic knife blocks if you want to go that route.  

• Like 1

I know scheduling at PBS stations around the US varies widely, but the new season of ATK starts next week in the Bay Area. I believe we'll be seeing at least one ATKer in a new role.

(edited)
On 6/25/2016 at 3:24 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Enough with Bridget and her "go ahead and"s.  She always does it, but today when making cinnamon rolls it seemed like a lot even for her.

So I re-watched and she said "gonna go ahead and..." THIRTEEN TIMES.  Well, actually eleven times; two of those times were "I've gone ahead and..." 

I can't take it.

It's done on every cooking show now.  Been that way for years.  I can't stand it either. 

I also can't stand "To the x add the y."  Also all the cooking shows started doing this a few years ago.  

Okay, I know I'm responding to a seven-year-old post . . .

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1

I hate "add x" when it's the first ingredient.   You're not adding it to anything, you mean "put" x in the bowl.   

I've been binge watching a mix of old and new episodes and find it hard to keep track of all the cooks' names, but there is one young caucasian woman with dark hair who has the worst vocal fry.  I feel like Julia and Bridget can barely tolerate her and she may have only been in one season.  

• Like 1

Here's a new fear, given the recent discussion of cutting boards above.  Last week a study was published about plastic cutting boards releasing microplastics into your food.  Now I am CONFLICTED.  Of course this makes sense.  I can see the little nicks on the board (OXO soft plastic).  Do I have to switch to wood?  So much more work to care for. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Quof said:

I hate "add x" when it's the first ingredient.   You're not adding it to anything, you mean "put" x in the bowl.   

I've been binge watching a mix of old and new episodes and find it hard to keep track of all the cooks' names, but there is one young caucasian woman with dark hair who has the worst vocal fry.  I feel like Julia and Bridget can barely tolerate her and she may have only been in one season.  

I know exactly who you’re talking about and she was awful — thankfully, she did not last long.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people say “go ahead and” and also use “you know” as a filler.  Super irritating.  Take a pause and find the right words…

• Like 1

I've been watching what are marked as new episodes, and this weekend I saw someone showing Julia how to make "pie pops." It wasn't a cook I'm familiar with, but it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen featured on this show. I know they've been on for 30 years but I hate to think they're that hard up for new ideas. 

• Like 2

Oy. I don't know why they chose this kiddie recipe to introduce a new "chef"--unless that's the level of cuisine she's going to feature. Not looking forward to seeing more of her. I want to tell her to cheer down.

• Like 1

Jack just did a talk about Apple products, and suggested that you never buy unsweetened apple sauce. He also said you'd never make applesauce at home without added sugar.

I guess he's never heard of Cortland apples. We used them years ago to make unsweetened applesauce, and it was terrific. I can't imagine buying any brand of applesauce with added sugar. Many of the brands have sugar as well as corn syrup. Of course he also is the one who said it was ok to put your tomatoes in the fridge.

And who is Sam Block? I didn't enjoy her pie pop thing at all, and those hair things hanging down on the sides of her face were so distracting.

I didn't see the pie pops episode, and I haven't seen Sam Block, but this is what the ATK website has to say about her.

Sam Block

DIGITAL TEST COOK

Sam Block is the digital test cook at America's Test Kitchen. A graduate of Johnson & Wales University's culinary program, she spent years cooking professionally, including a worldwide adventure on cruise ships. After developing recipes for cookbooks, she now finds herself producing weekly article and video content showcasing ATK's integrity (in her own quirky way).

I'm not sure what a Digital Test Cook is. From the above, I gather they do on-line content.

• Useful 1

I only buy unsweetened applesauce, if I'm not making some myself (I usually add cinnamon and a little bit of brown sugar). But I'd never buy sweetened applesauce--I read labels! Is Jack getting cranky, er crankier? Haven't seen the pops episode, don't need to. I'm pretty much watching new episodes if they have something I'm likely to make. Or at least want to make.

• Like 1

I have a full on-line subscription to ATK. They're usually the first place I go to if I'm looking for a recipe. I also look at their equipment tests if I'm looking to buy something. I enjoy watching the show, and at this point sometimes they will have a technique that is helpful.

• Useful 1

The cherry-chocolate pie pops wouldn't be a bad idea if you left them off the stick and just called them a version of hand pies. I'd buy one in a bakery but would never make them.

Speaking of never making, deep-frying is one of my recipe dealbreakers, so I was happy enough to watch Lan make lumpia but sad that she did not appear at my door with a plate of them at the end. (The jury is still out on Dan's cacio e pepe tapioca things.) Like chessiegal above, I enjoy watching ATK for techniques and foods I know little or nothing about, but so many of their recipes lately fall into the Would Eat, Would Never Make category. But then I'm a lazy cook with a small kitchen.

• Like 1

I watched the chicken teriyaki episode, even though I'm not a big fan (I'll eat it if served to me, but I'd never order it or make it; I've always thought of it as the chop suey of American Japanese restaurants).  The traditional sauce is supposed to be thin, as I understand it, so I don't know what the corn starch was doing in there.  Most of all, I thought it needed some scallions, so I was amused when, although none were present in what he served, the beauty shot indeed had them.

• Like 1

So a new chef again, Antoinnette, again with a huge piece of hair hanging down the the side/front of her face. Someone needs to tell the stylists for the show that that trend went out many years ago.

Besides, who wants their hair hanging in their face when they cook?

Is it just me, or is this show much less interesting now? And barely 21 minutes now, so many ads before and after.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

So a new chef again, Antoinnette, again with a huge piece of hair hanging down the the side/front of her face. Someone needs to tell the stylists for the show that that trend went out many years ago.

Besides, who wants their hair hanging in their face when they cook?

Is it just me, or is this show much less interesting now? And barely 21 minutes now, so many ads before and after.

I thought both shows -- Cook's Country and ATK -- were snoozes today.  No takeaways for me.  Gosh, I miss what these shows used to be in the not-too-distant past.  

• Like 1

From the ATK website:

Antoinette Johnson

WINNER OF AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN: THE NEXT GENERATION, SEASON 1

Antoinette was the first-season winner of America's Test Kitchen: The Next Generation, which airs on Freevee. She is a cast member of America's Test Kitchen and the author of the forthcoming cookbook Mostly Homemade from America's Test Kitchen. Her food is all about elevated yet accessible recipes, with an occasional nod to her southern roots, developing ways to cut down on kitchen time while still achieving delicious results. In addition to her work with ATK, Antoinette is a social media branding consultant and content creator. She lives in Lexington, Kentucky.

Haven't seen this episode (I never know what's new or repeat on the several PBS I get) but did they mention she was the winner of their contest?

Antoinette was by far the best of those who auditioned on that "Next Generation" show, and I was wondering how much they'd actually use her on the regular show; glad to read she's finally made an appearance.  My weekend habits have changed some and I don't always have the Saturday line-up of cooking shows on as I putter around anymore, so I'm catching up with new episodes via the PBS app, and I still have a backlog. 

I left off halfway through the fried one, and am still craving lumpia.  I spent about ten years eating my weight in it every time a friend's grandma would come to stay with her family for a couple of months each year.  There are good Filipino restaurants here, so it's not like I can't order some in (I don't have a fryer), but I've cut way back on that in recent years.

• Like 1
(edited)

I watched Antoinette's debut, even though that dish is not something I'd ever eat (I hate beans), to see how she did.  I found it a solid first performance.  She talked too fast at times for an instructional show, but no big distractions or obvious jitters. 

I thought it was funny the episode before featured Jack talking about garlic powder, a segment in which he said to mix it with water before adding it to a dish, and then in this very next one she used dry powder.

Going back to that Dutch oven episode, I don't much care for chicken pot pie, but I thought it was an interesting idea to just put the lattice crust on top (and make it with puff pastry), not have the sides and bottom.  I'd like that a lot more in terms of dough to meat and vegetables ratio, but I didn't think it served particularly well once cut up; it only looked good in the pot.  In that way, I think a traditional personal-sized pot pie is best if you're serving it to guests (which is how they presented this version).

I liked the use of asparagus, and leeks instead of onions.  If I reduced the carrot by half or left it out altogether (maybe use a broccoli and cauliflower combination instead), and used snow peas instead of regular peas, I'd like it for me.  But I don't see me bothering with it.

Edited by Bastet

Re: The chicken pot pie -- I'm pretty sure I could make one pie crust for the top in much less time than it took Keith to make his latticed puff pastry one. Still, he gets points for presentation (although, as Bastet noted, presentation faltered once served).

This was one episode that I actually wrote down the recipes and instructions for - the chicken pot pie and the weeknight pasta bolognese.  Still, writing them down is one thing, actually making them is another, since I don't cook much anymore.

• Like 1