Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: The Inheritance

In a way, I'm glad that Oliver didn't really get anything in the end. His whole agenda was to get Spencer to leave him his money and have Oliver's warped dream of: "Happy Rich Life" come true. He came to care about Spencer that's for sure, but in the end. He got the lesson he really needed to get, just like Taylor with her new friends ditching her. 

• Love 6

I thought it was bizarre that a two sentence conversation with Greg would have him go that off the rails when they hadn't even heard the will yet. I know for show reasons he needed to get tenure anyway but that stupid bait and switch of them appreciating him being unprofessional and bizarre really annoyed me. If the people on the committee knew him personally at all they might think he had an undiagnosed brain tumor that was so out of left field. But I suppose they don't know him at all. The whole "we're assuming something is going to happen and making a TON of decisions about it before we know for sure" trope, especially when it's only one day until they get confirmation just really rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 5
(edited)

I can't imagine Spencer's attorney actually making Katie, Oliver and Greg sit through that taped will if she knew they were getting nothing. What's the point? They are not actually beneficiaries. Why contact them at all? Maybe it's required by law if they are even mentioned in the will, but it would be much kinder to simply tell them they're not getting anything and then ask if they're interested in hearing what he had to say. They probably would still be but they wouldn't flip about thinking they were going to be rich.

On the flip side, the country club "prison" for rich dudes was hysterical. "Steely Dan is playing here this weekend" At first when they showed everyone playing golf, I figured Spencer's old cell mate had also been sprung. It wasn't until Oliver said something about it I realized it was supposed to be a prison.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 7
(edited)

I get where Spencer was going and I'm sort of okay with him not leaving them anything, but I wish he left them a little SOMETHING... Maybe enough for Oliver to partially seed his first start up or maybe the kids to go to college without debt, or even the funds for the 5 of them to go to his favorite place, Hawai'i, on an all expenses paid trip. It is weird the writers looked at it as an all or nothing deal. 

16 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder what Spencer did do with his estate.

I noticed the prison lady commented they are recipients of endowments. I wonder if the prison got the funds. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 6

Ahem.  If I were Oliver, I wouldn't waste any time before watching that video Spencer called "Where To Hide Your Money When the FBI Is After You."  I still think Spencer took care of the Otto family.  Anyone look inside the urn yet?

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, candall said:

Ahem.  If I were Oliver, I wouldn't waste any time before watching that video Spencer called "Where To Hide Your Money When the FBI Is After You."  I still think Spencer took care of the Otto family.  Anyone look inside the urn yet?

Ooh... I like your ideas!   That all never occurred to me. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

Ooh... I like your ideas!   That all never occurred to me. 

How true and it would make perfect sense. Even an account number. I agree earlier, something left to them, nothing that is going to transform them with an instant windfall, but maybe a small trust fund for Oliver when he turns 18 or money that HAS to go to a college or business or trade school. No debt and would actually make things better for Katie and Greg not worrying about schooling for the kids. After all, Oliver still wants to go to Julliard. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, he's not likely to get rich pursuing Juilliard. It doesn't really add up. But I thought he originally took up ballet to get into Harvard.

He did mention though he could also do Juiliard too as a back up because he found out he actually liked ballet. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/5/2018 at 3:09 PM, joanne3482 said:

I get where Spencer was going and I'm sort of okay with him not leaving them anything, but I wish he left them a little SOMETHING... Maybe enough for Oliver to partially seed his first start up or maybe the kids to go to college without debt, or even the funds for the 5 of them to go to his favorite place, Hawai'i, on an all expenses paid trip. It is weird the writers looked at it as an all or nothing deal. 

Exactly. Oliver having a fund to pay for college doesn't mean he will have to work any less hard to get into Harvard, but it would releave the Ottos from having to worry about financial aid or loans. A quarter million properly invested only to be used for education should cover most of Oliver's private college expenses by the time he's ready to go without having any effect at all on his current lifestyle.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5
On 4/5/2018 at 1:43 PM, iMonrey said:

I can't imagine Spencer's attorney actually making Katie, Oliver and Greg sit through that taped will if she knew they were getting nothing. What's the point? They are not actually beneficiaries. Why contact them at all? Maybe it's required by law if they are even mentioned in the will, but it would be much kinder to simply tell them they're not getting anything and then ask if they're interested in hearing what he had to say. They probably would still be but they wouldn't flip about thinking they were going to be rich.

I had the same thought.  It was clearly done for dramatic effect.

On 4/5/2018 at 8:50 PM, candall said:

On 4/5/2018 at 11:22 PM, readster said:

How true and it would make perfect sense. Even an account number. I agree earlier, something left to them, nothing that is going to transform them with an instant windfall, but maybe a small trust fund for Oliver when he turns 18 or money that HAS to go to a college or business or trade school. No debt and would actually make things better for Katie and Greg not worrying about schooling for the kids. After all, Oliver still wants to go to Julliard. 

I've had the very same thoughts!  I thought about that video!  I don't believe that Spencer wouldn't do SOMETHING for Oliver and the Ottos in general.  He wouldn't have to make them rich but do something nice for them like one or both of those ideas.  Contributing to Oliver's future education would have been the obvious choice.  I love the idea of it being inside the urn, that would be a Spencer touch, wouldn't it?  Another possibility is that he could have put something in one of those videos that gave away some secret that only Oliver would know how to interpret that would be the key to making a fortune.  So it wouldn't be Spencer giving him the money but giving him some inside information that Oliver could use to make the money himself.

This is so bizarre but one of my husband's billionaire customers (who happens to live in Westport no less) is doing something for his business financially just out of appreciation and the goodness of his heart.  Of course it's not in his will and he didn't die but it's an interesting "life imitates art" parallel.

• Love 4

Random thought occurred to me during this episode...if Wendie Malick is Katie's mother, and has recently also played Toby's mother on This is Us, does that make Katie and Toby siblings?? I like both characters (and Mama Katie HAS mentioned there are other siblings) so I'm gonna go with it!

• Love 2
On 4/8/2018 at 6:01 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Random thought occurred to me during this episode...if Wendie Malick is Katie's mother, and has recently also played Toby's mother on This is Us, does that make Katie and Toby siblings?? I like both characters (and Mama Katie HAS mentioned there are other siblings) so I'm gonna go with it!

Doesn't Toby only have a much younger brother?

8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Doesn't Toby only have a much younger brother?

Yes...at least that's the only one he mentioned. But, IMO, if it took us practically two entire seasons to learn of that sibling, who's to say they couldn't give Toby a sister? He could just say they're estranged, so he never speaks of her, or something. Various TV shows are always digging up characters' relatives, suddenly on the scene though we've never heard of them before, LOL.

(Hey, a girl can imagine, right??)

• Love 2
On 4/5/2018 at 3:09 PM, joanne3482 said:

I noticed the prison lady commented they are recipients of endowments. I wonder if the prison got the funds. 

i was hoping he left a college fund for the kids too. he should have. it was kind of shitty to leave them nothing. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, msrachelj said:

i was hoping he left a college fund for the kids too. he should have. it was kind of shitty to leave them nothing. 

I may be giving too much credit to the writers, but I do think the aftermath isn't coming until the finale. Especially, since the entire gala piece with Katie is the finale, which has been building most of the season. However, if it doesn't, then the main less needed to go to Oliver that no matter what you think, the best lay plans don't always work out. Oliver originally became friends with Spencer for two reasons. 1. was to get him to leave him his fortune 2. to learn from him. He became his friend in all of it, and it worked similar to him being friends with the Spanish maid in season 1. Which turned into Oliver trying to also get an upper hand in Westmont's higher culture, he just became friends with the main in the process. 

I hope we find out that Spencer left college funds for all 3 Otto children. I would have also liked it if he would have given Katy & Greg enough money to buy their house but not enough that they would be able to buy something else, so they can't afford to move. So they're still in the same "poor" house, but have the monthly rent freed up. Although the land in that neighborhood is probably worth plenty so they would be fools not to sell, and that would not work for the show. 

The prison was hilarious!

On 4/5/2018 at 6:14 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

I liked when Greg blurted out "Good Afternoon" and the guy from the tenure committee flatly said "this is no time for jokes."

That was great! I had to rewind to watch that exchange again. 

• Love 3