Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S07.E01: About Three Years Later

Recommended Posts

Quote

The Season 7 premiere picks up about three years after the end of Season 6 with Jess and Nick returning from a European book tour for "The Pepperwood Chronicles." Schmidt and Cece celebrate their daughter Ruth's birthday with a party, where Jess runs into her ex, Russell. Meanwhile, Winston and Aly try to pick a pregnancy photo.

Share this post


Link to post

I personally loved it. I found myself eagerly anticipating tonight’s episode and I wasn’t disappointed. The only thing that would have made it better would have been an appearance by Ferguson. 

”Porn star relief pitcher” had me rolling, as well as Schmidt: “is he saying he hasn’t washed his hands since Europe?”

Schmidt and Cece’s daughter is adorable. Finally, loved the callback to the doorbell chime at their house. 

Overall, I’m glad for this abbreviated season to really wrap things up with this gang. I’m not ready to say goodbye just yet!  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, tomsmom said:

Omg enough already! If this whole season  is going to be Nick trying to propose...I’m out. 

This!  If Nick doesn't propose in the next episode, I am going to be seriously annoyed.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Sigh. I was really hoping they would surprise us and Nick would propose anyway despite Jess doing the whole "we don't need to be married" since he's shown such "growth" in the about three years, but nope. It actually would have been a perfect time...we don't "need" to be married but I can't imagine not being married to you or some other stuff. But let's drag this nonsense out. Come on show! As per usual, I enjoyed everything about it, except Nick and Jess. CeCe/Schmidt worked, their daughter adorable and funny. Winston/Aly worked and they were funny. Even Russell worked although I didn't need to see him again in the show. 

I'm with @Snapdragon if there's no proposal next episode, it'll be SO annoying. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, soooo much going on. Maybe it would have been better to ease back into 6 people's lives (more if we count Aly etc). Erg. Slow down, show.

Did love the drink names.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

In the 3 years since they were last seen, Jess and Schmidt assaulted their noses.

Did Zooey get that ridiculous thing in real life?

The plots were all dumb, the proposal, the perfect birthday party, the right pregnancy picture.

All the hipster or millennial nose rings aren't going to hide the fact that these character have gotten boring as they approach middle age.

Share this post


Link to post

I am still in love with this show!!! Still cracks me up!!! Jess's nose ring, yeah it has to go! She looks awful with it. Schmidt's pornstash! ROFL! I agree with Nick, although I thought it was very creepy that Nick shaved it off. Drucken parents! Hahahahahaahaha! Oh and Jess's father cracked me up!

 

Jess's father: I want my daughter to cry!

ROFL! When he said that Nick has only a month to propose to her, oh no! Does the show only have a month left, and then it's over? :(  At the end of the episode, NEW MANAGEMENT! OH OH! When Nick said there was the ring in the envelope, I thought at first that it wasn't going to be there!

10 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

 I’m not ready to say goodbye just yet!  

Yeah me neither. :(

6 hours ago, scrb said:

All the hipster or millennial nose rings aren't going to hide the fact that these character have gotten boring as they approach middle age.

Approach middle age?!!?! They are only in their 30's! ROFL!

Edited by sonyab
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I really enjoyed it. Some classic characteristics from each character. 

I was a little sad that Nasim didn't get promoted to regular for this final season. She feels like as much a part of the original cast now as any of the rest of them. 

Goodness Winston and Aly's baby will be gorgeous. As Coach's other friends say, mixed children are "God's Photoshop"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing about this episode stuck with me after watching it last night, except for Aly not wanting to be treated differently while pregnant. I hope they didn't lose the spark that the show had in previous seasons.

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't realize how much I missed these characters. Overall I was very happy to see them again and enjoyed the show.

HOWEVER. I cannot believe the show stooped to such a tiresome gimmick by having this classic "misunderstanding" prevent Nick from proposing. This sort of thing has happened on just about every sitcom ever written. It's tedious, it's lazy, it's unoriginal, and nobody likes it. 

I don't even want to assign any meaning to it beyond incomprehensibly lazy writing, but it actually demonstrates that Nick and Jess shouldn't get married. If they have been together three years now and are still dancing around the issue of marriage because both think the other is too fragile to even discuss it, neither should me married. 

I'm even more perturbed by the appearance of Russell because clearly - within this big misunderstanding about who does and doesn't want to get married - Russell will try to pursue Jess and she'll be torn because she doesn't think Nick wants to get married.

Ugh. I mean, how many times has this hackneyed plot been used over the past 50 years? This show only had six episodes to write and all they could come up with is this regurgitated garbage?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, tomsmom said:

Omg enough already! If this whole season  is going to be Nick trying to propose...I’m out. 

Yeah.... I’m not into this season being him trying to propose and getting interrupted everywhere. I have that sitcom trick and yeah this is a sitcom but really.. I was already over it when Jess said they were engaged to Russell. Also not down to watch Jess be in a triangle situation with Russell and Nick.

And I wanted to like this episode(I love this show and wrote how amazing I thought the season finale was last year) but this felt off to me.  The opening in which they tried to fake  us out with Nick and Jess and then Schmidt and Cece And Winston. One fakeout  is fine but two in the span of two minutes feels like trying too hard. But hey that’s just me.  

Cece and Schmidt kind of made this episode for me and their adorable daughter. 

Something just felt off about this episode though. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I’m one of those who thought another season wasn’t needed.  I liked the way the last season ended.  However, I enjoyed seeing them all back again.  We just need to see Ferguson and it would be nice to see Coach.  I liked all the fake outs.

I agree that Aly was a natural fit from day one.  I wasn’t a huge Winston fan at the beginning, but he really grew on me and he and Aly are so great together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Now the series is set "about three years" later: interested to see if the characters are supposed to be living in the 2020-2021 time period.  Or the maybe the show could just ignore the calendar year and the outside world --news/events/fashion/pop culture -- since it's just a three year jump and there are so few episodes left (contrasted with how Parks & Rec 's three year fast-forward used some elements of a potential future world, technology, etc).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, sonyab said:

Approach middle age?!!?! They are only in their 30's! ROFL!

Schmidt turned 29 in season 1. Winston and Nick are either the same age as him or one year older. This episode is taking place 10 years since Jess moved into the loft. 39 is pretty damn close to middle age. There is no reason to believe Schmidt isn't the youngest in the group. 

What is middle age? My friend refers to herself as middle aged at 37, and I refer to myself as young at 32. So, maybe it's in the eye of the beholder.

With regard to this episode, I was very happy to see them again. I am unsure why Jess isn't working, and hope they explain that soon. Aly and Winston make me really happy and I agree that Nasim should be a regular since Damon was, she's a part of the group. Little Ruth Bader Parekh Schmidt was great casting, I'm happy that season two CeCe was able to have a kid in season 6. But how did CeCe get Schmidt to name her child after a liberal Supreme Court justice? He was all about Romney and Paul Ryan!

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Now the series is set "about three years" later: interested to see if the characters are supposed to be living in the 2020-2021 time period.  Or the maybe the show could just ignore the calendar year and the outside world

It's actually super weird, they aired the last season a full year ago, so it's a small time jump. I don't know how we are supposed to read it. I doubt they'll address the year. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah.. again I have to say something felt off to me about this episode, maybe it was the fact that it’s been so long since I’ve seen the show and characters and that the last episode last season is what I would have wanted as a series finale, this episode is making me dread the next episodes.

I just feel like we are going to spend this entire season if Nick planning proposals and then getting interrupted by various schemes and shenanigans and while I know this show is a sitcom and that’s sitcom lore, I’m not all that excited to watch that. Also not excited for this show to pull a Chandler-Monica-Richard thing with Nick-Jess-Russell. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah.. again I have to say something felt off to me about this episode

Well, I am just bummed we didn't get to see Winston's wedding or the day Aly found out she was pregnant. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I full-on busted out laughing at Nick leaning in with the razor AND at him doing Ruth's hair: "Now Daddy is gonna do his job, because these braids are straight-up dock ropes."

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I just feel like we are going to spend this entire season if Nick planning proposals and then getting interrupted by various schemes and shenanigans and while I know this show is a sitcom and that’s sitcom lore, I’m not all that excited to watch that. Also not excited for this show to pull a Chandler-Monica-Richard thing with Nick-Jess-Russell. 

I think it's even more contrived than that. It's Nick thinking Jess doesn't want to get married because she made a big deal out of telling him she was happy the way things are and didn't want them to change. And of course she only said that because she thinks Nick is the one who doesn't want to get married and is afraid of change and will freak out. It's a typical Gift of the Magi type of thing. The whole thing is a big misunderstanding and yes, we've seen this plot over and over again in dozens of sitcoms. I hate that the show stooped to something this over-used and frustrating. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Got an email the other day for free 30 day subscription on Hulu because it's New Girl's last season.

If I got a subscription to Hulu, I'd watch The Mindy Project before New Girl.  I will watch the end of both shows since I've watched all of the first few seasons of both, just to complete them.

But New Girl definitely is way past its sell by date.

Share this post


Link to post

Last time we saw them, CeCe found out she was pregnant. This episode entitled "About Three Years Later" opens celebrating the child's 3rd birthday. So, it's likely more than 3.5 years since we last saw them. Three years, seven months or so. It just further points out how they are all teetering on 40. 

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's even more contrived than that. It's Nick thinking Jess doesn't want to get married because she made a big deal out of telling him she was happy the way things are and didn't want them to change. And of course she only said that because she thinks Nick is the one who doesn't want to get married and is afraid of change and will freak out. It's a typical Gift of the Magi type of thing. The whole thing is a big misunderstanding and yes, we've seen this plot over and over again in dozens of sitcoms. I hate that the show stooped to something this over-used and frustrating. 

 

6 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Last time we saw them, CeCe found out she was pregnant. This episode entitled "About Three Years Later" opens celebrating the child's 3rd birthday. So, it's likely more than 3.5 years since we last saw them. Three years, seven months or so. It just further points out how they are all teetering on 40. 

Yeah, both these posts point out t feelings that not only is the sitcom trope they are using this final season old but so are the characters to be doing all these “look how wacky our lives are” and yes I get this is a sitcom but still.. I don’t know. These characters feel a little too old to be being all wacky and silly and over the top and hopefully they won’t.

And again not looking forward to triangle and Russell. I never really liked Russell. He was fine I gusss? But he’s the character you bring back for the final season? Um sure. Okay. I don’t get it.  

It’s the things like that that make me dislike the nick and Jessica relationship and wish they weren’t our main couple. I thought Cece and Schmidt and their daughter were adorable. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

And again not looking forward to triangle and Russell. I never really liked Russell. He was fine I gusss? But he’s the character you bring back for the final season? Um sure. Okay. I don’t get it.  

I suppose they already used the Sam card and what was Justin Long character's name? Genslinger? They should have brought back Spencer. Lol. Full circle from the pilot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

I suppose they already used the Sam card and what was Justin Long character's name? Genslinger? They should have brought back Spencer. Lol. Full circle from the pilot.

Yeah.. they did bring back Sam. I’m just not a fan of Jess and the whole “fancy man”thing. Ugh. I was excited for this season but it seems like it’s just be going to be Nick failing around trying to propose and Russell trying to interfer, unless the show really doesn’t go there to that but it seems like it is.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah.. they did bring back Sam. I’m just not a fan of Jess and the whole “fancy man”thing. Ugh. I was excited for this season but it seems like it’s just be going to be Nick failing around trying to propose and Russell trying to interfer, unless the show really doesn’t go there to that but it seems like it is.

It's 8 episodes. Nick has a month to propose. Aly is what 7-8 months pregnant? I think the WinstonAly baby and JessNick proposal and wedding may all happen in the 8 episodes. I can't imagine (writers, please don't do this) they stretch a month into 8 episodes. That's like the final season of HIMYM that was 20 episodes that all took place over a weekend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

It's 8 episodes. Nick has a month to propose. Aly is what 7-8 months pregnant? I think the WinstonAly baby and JessNick proposal and wedding may all happen in the 8 episodes. I can't imagine (writers, please don't do this) they stretch a month into 8 episodes. That's like the final season of HIMYM that was 20 episodes that all took place over a weekend. 

Let’s hope not. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

But New Girl definitely is way past its sell by date.

I would have said the same thing a year ago when Season 6 ended, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them all again and realized how much I missed them. I think there's still decent potential with these characters, but the writing has gotten really stale. The cast is still giving 100% - the writers, not so much. That's the real problem IMO.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I would have said the same thing a year ago when Season 6 ended, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them all again and realized how much I missed them. I think there's still decent potential with these characters, but the writing has gotten really stale. The cast is still giving 100% - the writers, not so much. That's the real problem IMO.

Maybe that’s it. I don’t know. I think I’m being kind of harsh because season 6 was such a good ending.  And as much as I love these characters I’m afriad these last batch of episodes is going to make me dislike them. 

Share this post


Link to post
×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size